Discovery and WarnerMedia Merger | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Discovery and WarnerMedia Merger

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Next set of layoffs, and one of the biggest things to come out of this; is albeit the death of Cartoon Network as we know it.

Going forward, CN will be instead a Brand-Label; being completely and fully absorbed into Warner Bros. Animation.

Additionally in part of this: WB has opted to shut down it's writer and director workshops, alongside Stage 13. Nothing has been currently said for Willams Street, but speculation points to it probably becoming WBA Atlanta should they wish to start transferring Adult Swim to being more of a Brand-Label like how CN will be.

Last edited:
I remember when people thought this merger was going to be a good thing...

Honestly I find it tragic to see just how much damage is being done to a company this soon after merging. This feels like a genuine self-implosion and I am saddened to see that it's going the way it is; and wondering what's going to get rocked next.

Really glad WB doesn't own Legendary in this aspect; but I can't help but wonder how New Line's going to get cuts sooner than later.

We need laws to protect people in mergers

If your going to just let any company no matter the size merge they need to have to not just pay out CEO's but the people let go. They did nothing wrong and should get at minimum a full years salary. I'm just so sick of normal people getting screwed

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Sadly, we all knew this was coming. After the merger payments; Warner Bros/Discovery is approximately 53 billion in debt according to financial gurus. 53 BILLION... that is insane. Their only hope was to strike Marvel gold money (not likely) or cut to the bone to keep going. Had Marvel and Lucasfilm not worked out for Iger, Disney would be facing this as well. And Warner/Discovery doesn't have a chain of theme parks to provide mass amounts of cash flowing through the company to help keep creditors being paid. Eventually, it will be broken up and and parts sold off like in the 80's/90's buyout "deals"on Wall street where the parts were worth more than the whole.

Anyone have any bets on where the warner Catalog ends up? .

Comcast needs to ramp up animation production ASAP. Universal Kids has potential but needs broader appeal. Pulling in the team that made Craig of the Creek, Steven Universe, et al, would be a good start.

Reactions: Nico and JS610
Comcast needs to ramp up animation production ASAP. Universal Kids has potential but needs broader appeal. Pulling in the team that made Craig of the Creek, Steven Universe, et al, would be a good start.

Universal has shows that are that level, the issue is no one watched them....Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts, Cleopatra in Space, and Trollhunters were all attempts by Universal but everyone would rather watch Boss Baby: Back in Business.

Universal has shows that are that level, the issue is no one watched them....Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts, Cleopatra in Space, and Trollhunters were all attempts by Universal but everyone would rather watch Boss Baby: Back in Business.
Except everyone is actually watching Teen Titans Go!, Craig, and Gumball. Owl House and the like too. I think the weakness in Universal’s animated series is that they’re too mature for fun viewing. They’re also a little samey: action-oriented fair that’s too serialized. Cartoon Network and Disney found success in predominantly episodic content that has light to no serialization where whimsy, silliness, and inspiration stand out. They’re also more visually unique and accessible compared to what Universal produces.

Quality is one aspect of it. But the long ranging structure is where animation finds success. Universal hasn’t figured that out yet.

Personally I wish that the people let go from Cartoon Network and Blue Sky Studios would come together to create a new independent animation studio. Skydance Animation is a great example of a new independent animation studio that has popped up. The Apple TV+ release Luck was not a great debut for them, but i'm glad there's another animation studio out there that's not owned by a massive conglomerate (even if John Lasseter problematic, he's well qualified to lead a new animation studio).

There is room for more than just Disney/Pixar, Dreamworks/Illumination, and Warner Animation in the market place for animated films.

There is room for more than just Disney/Pixar, Dreamworks/Illumination, and Warner Animation in the market place for animated films.
Films are one thing. Series are a different animal that requires a lot of upfront capital and risk that can’t easily shift if there are issues with it. Even a compressed animation timeline can be years, which is why animated series typically gets two season orders to start.

The Cartoon Network studios have figured out the formula to a successful cartoon that can run for years. They have far more hits than misses. Even unconventional concepts find successful viewership. Add in their limited run stuff (“Over the Garden Wall” and “Infinity Train”) are far more interesting and unique than what Universal creates.

Universal needs to swoop in and, basically, steal the Cartoon Network formula for Universal Kids. That, combined with their reality shows, can essentially create a new Nickelodeon.

Reactions: Nick
Seems like everything and anything that has a possibility to make money at DC has a possibility of getting made currently in with Walter Hamada on his way out and no actual creative or Kevin Feige-type leader in a position of power. And to be honest... I don't think that's the worst thing? I like what they're currently doing off to the side a lot more than the DCEU. I hope whatever the James Gunn project is is outside of the DCEU.

We're entering an era where the stars of the movies like Dwayne Johnson and Henry Cavill along with directors being the one guiding the path forward rather than someone in a leadership position and it'll be interesting to see where that takes us.

Reactions: Nico
James Gunn and Peter Safran will be co-leading DCFilms, as Co-CEO's!

Safran will be heading the business and economics, while Gunn is directly handling all creative endeavors going forward for film, TV, and animation. Genuinely fantastic decision to get Gunn in this seat.

Reactions: Nico and MrBlonde
Call me negative on this, but I'm not all that high on Gunn running the creative of DC. James Gunn is great, but his history of films and shows made are ALL very limiting in appeal (GotG aside, and even that franchise wouldn't have done as well if it wasn't a part of the MCU).

Hopefully he learned enough from Feige and can put his personal preferences aside for the larger Universe. Also, this 100% means that a sequel to TSS will get made now that the director is in charge of the studio. Not that that's a bad thing per say, but they also need to be making highly accessible four quadrant films.

Reactions: belloq87
I’d rather have a creative like Gunn + a producer, then an all out producer like with Lin. They were trying to find a needle with the perfect DC head. Using the Creative/Financial partnership has often lead to good results. Eisner/Wells, Walt/Roy. Maybe it’s use in live action space could create some cool results.

In a note: with the cancellation of WW in it's current form, it seems DC Studios will be getting into a reset, involving the shuffling of actors like Jason Momoa to potentially become Lobo.

Zaslav will be the first to know of Gunn and Safran's slate next week.

Jason Momoa not being Aquaman any more....is just insane.

Like they can't get anyone else for Lobo?

Not saying third string characters can't work out look at Shazam and Black Adam but.....yeah not sure on the Lobo rumors.

Its also still hard for them to know where to go yet....we have a Blue Beetle Film out next summer and think it could do very well for DC, so hope they are open to films that are already done still being part of the new DC canon....or whatever the hell it is now.