Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Buys 235 Acres Near Magic Kingdom for $6M

Disney bought a bit more land nearby. Seems this is all connected with a possible expansion of their Solar Field.

I'm really excited and hopeful for their solar field projects. I hope more parks and resorts start adopting this

I'm really excited and hopeful for their solar field projects. I hope more parks and resorts start adopting this
Disney has the luxury of land to do this though. They plan to be running close to 100% on Solar going forward, but they are using hundreds of acres to do this. Of course, I suppose Universal could add a bunch of Solar panels on roof tops?

Disney has the luxury of land to do this though. They plan to be running close to 100% on Solar going forward, but they are using hundreds of acres to do this. Of course, I suppose Universal could add a bunch of Solar panels on roof tops?

For Universal I could see them add rows and rows of solar awnings on top of the parking garages.

For Universal I could see them add rows and rows of solar awnings on top of the parking garages.

Something like this?

Solar_car-park.JPG

Sure first there where 2 lots of nature and now there will be 1.
Disney has enough space if they learn to plan. All that land isn't used efficiently like Universal does. It's also very expensive to maintain that infrastructure. It's sad how Disney promotes preservation but clearly doesn't give a sh!t.

I think the only reason Disney hasn't done this is because by building permanent structures like this all over the parking lot, it restricts how much you can change the parking lot in the future... which they seem to like to do on a semi-regular basis.

And yet, at the end of the day, it's just a parking lot. The Cincinnati Zoo has solar panel structures covering their parking lot. It really is nice to get back into shaded car on those hot days after walking up and down the hills of the zoo. Even though the cars would still be warm at Disney World, not singeing any exposed skin on hot car parts would be a huge bonus.

Also nice having your car in the shade and not having the seatbelt leave a brand on your skin.
Never have to deal with this in Maine.... but the one year we rented a car and parked one day at one of the Universal hotels (I think it was HRH), and I was wearing a cut off and the seatbelt left an imprint on my shoulder and collarbone for legit the next 48 hours it was burning me so much. Insanity lol

Sure first there where 2 lots of nature and now there will be 1.
Disney has enough space if they learn to plan. All that land isn't used efficiently like Universal does. It's also very expensive to maintain that infrastructure. It's sad how Disney promotes preservation but clearly doesn't give a sh!t.
Not sure if you've ever flipped through Reedy Creek’s wetland maps but there’s a lot less contiguous buildable land at WDW than most people think - a third of WDW is literally untouchable Everglades headwater. Universal isn’t anywhere close to a wetland and when they bought land that is (Shingle Creek), it was already neatly managed for them.

Planning for Universal means drawing some lot lines and digging retention ponds. Here’s the other end of the spectrum:

Reedy Creek 2020 Plan