Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What kind of capacity do these types of systems have?
These are some of the bigger resorts on property and I'm wondering if it will be easily overwhelmed by the crush of riders.
Even the tiny ones do around 1,000 PPH- thats basically a bus every 5 minutes. This is actually a great thing. I'd love to see other areas get it too- AKL to DAK anyone?

I'm willing to bet that if this does happen, with the way Disney has been running everything now, there will be an UPCHARGE to use it. What do we think? $5 OR $10 a day?
Nah... it'll be included in your $30 resort fee :p

I'm a bit confused as to the thought behind it - so I'll withhold judgement til I see official announcement/plans released from Disney themselves before making any kinda of judgement.

This is definitely in preparation for SWL and the Epcot plans that have been rumored for a while. Instead of clogging the roads with more busses, it seems they are finding other ways to get people from park to park and resort to park.

So, I'm part of a Skyride group on Facebook and many of the people in the group are experts having worked on them and with them. This story has triggered some big discussions about the feasibility of it, and I brought up the thunderstorms and wind here in Orlando and apparently they have gondola systems that can withstand up to 50 MPH wind gusts now. I still don't think it's a great idea in the "lightning capital of North America" and I know I wouldn't want to be on it in gusty winds.

The popular opinion is that it would be a Doppelmayr "3S" system 3S Gondola Lift | Products

The members of the group with contacts at Doppelmayr are reaching out to get confirmation.

Doppelmayr also built Hogwarts Express, and I would wager they will build the transportation systems for Universal to connect properties.

Two things. One, the gondolas do not have to be overly high for this to work. Clear the treetops and that is as high as it needs. This reduces the impact on the environment. B, this will help traffic congestion a little by eliminating some of the bus traffic. Three, this also could be a green tech improvement if the gondolas are more energy-efficient.

The website for that gondola manufacturer mentioned capacity of around 3,800 people per hour.

Sorry for the Home Alone reference.

Last edited:
There we have it. The answer to Universal's problem of transporting guests from a transportation center based on the Wet & Wild plot, down the middle green area on Universal Blvd., onto the new theme park site.

There we have it. The answer to Universal's problem of transporting guests from a transportation center based on the Wet & Wild plot, down the middle green area on Universal Blvd., onto the new theme park site.
This was suggested by someone on here already for the WNW to the North Campus. At the time it seemed like it could work, but seemed like an out there idea. Now, it doesn't seem as crazy. I guess they could take it all the way to South Campus as well. It wouldn't need near the supports as a monorail.

How does evac work on these things? Seems like some places on the Dis route, it may be next to impossible to get someone down if it stops for whatever reason.

Ok good I'm glad someone brought up Universal first. I can segueway into my conspiracy theory. We know Disney had a strong relationship with the city, especially on transit issues. I wonder if they got word of this as an option Universal was considering and actually tried to beat them to the punch. It legitimately helps resolve issues for their resort and has the potential to make Universal look a step behind.

(I guess the monorail option could appear that way too, but in my mind Universal would be upgrading their severely outdated system and "one upping" Disney.)

#improbablynuts

You are right although Bur el Arab has indeed many many limo's for their guests but it would be a problem so why not use a cableway to connect it to Saphire Bay and from there they could take a boat.
610-photo-5220a7d90e6e4c38d98db666a25a4593.jpg

This was suggested by someone on here already for the WNW to the North Campus. At the time it seemed like it could work, but seemed like an out there idea. Now, it doesn't seem as crazy. I guess they could take it all the way to South Campus as well. It wouldn't need near the supports as a monorail.

How does evac work on these things? Seems like some places on the Dis route, it may be next to impossible to get someone down if it stops for whatever reason.

First mention I can find in relation to the Wn'W plot

Reactions: Mad Dog
Ok good I'm glad someone brought up Universal first. I can segueway into my conspiracy theory. We know Disney had a strong relationship with the city, especially on transit issues. I wonder if they got word of this as an option Universal was considering and actually tried to beat them to the punch. It legitimately helps resolve issues for their resort and has the potential to make Universal look a step behind.

(I guess the monorail option could appear that way too, but in my mind Universal would be upgrading their severely outdated system and "one upping" Disney.)

#improbablynuts
Who in the world would consider disney getting gondolas slightly ahead as a factor in their vacation?

Reactions: natespf
I think they're sturdier than people are giving them credit for... these won't be small 10 person pods. Think something bigger than the old Kong aerial trams.

And if anything it'll be like the ferry boats at MK when there's strong winds. The buses take over if the monorail is down.

If they have it open for SWL and it's close enough to the ground and it has a glass bottom. They could create a text scrawl similar to the start of the films on the ground.

Reactions: Eckert