Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Jungle Cruise

In its global launch, Disney’s Jungle Cruise grossed $61.8M at worldwide turnstiles. That does not include the “over $30M” that came from Disney+ in the day-and-date streaming release (which leads to $91.8M as Anthony has reported). In pure theatrical terms, the Dwayne Johnson/Emily Blunt-starrer performed ahead of expectations domestically, and came in vastly lower at the international box office compared to pre-weekend estimates.

While the $27.6M international start for Jungle Cruise is well below the $40M projected debut, even rivals today agree the film is facing several issues which include a changing overseas Covid landscape as well as strong local titles in some markets

So, saw it today on D+...

Pretty good, but I was hoping for so much more. I love this ride so much. Plot was fine, but this could've easily been a 90 minute movie. And the CGI was just... horrible? What happened?

I did love the sweeping shots of the boat, and the style of the boat and the costumes. Very well done, even if The Mummy did it better.

But the CGI... maybe there's some back-room Hollywood pact about The Rock movies having horrible CGI. :grin:

UVhIUUlwdWg5Q0t0T2ZpSXYxeXAuanBn.jpg

I really enjoyed it - but I think tonally it couldn’t settle on what it wanted to be. Sometimes it wanted to be a horror adventure like The Mummy, other times a more grounded action flick like Indy, but also a lighter, joviant family film. Thankfully it didn’t sour the experience, but had it settled on one identity it would have been a much better movie.

Side note - I also saw Snake Eyes and Stillwater this weekend. The former was not good, the latter was incredible.

I saw it over the weekend at the El Capitan here in Hollywood. Maybe it’s because I had zero expectations and haven’t seen a movie like this in theaters in a long long time…but I thought it was a lot of fun and well acted.

I saw it over the weekend at the El Capitan here in Hollywood. Maybe it’s because I had zero expectations and haven’t seen a movie like this in theaters in a long long time…but I thought it was a lot of fun and well acted.

I felt the same. A bit like the first POTC movie, good chemistry between the 3 leads. Agree with others that it didn't seem to know what movie it wanted to be, but was still really enjoyable.

Watched the movie yesterday night, I didn't have much expectations but still found it a bit rough, my biggest complaint outside of the pretty bad CGI would be that there were a tad too much action scenes and it never felt like the characters or the movie had time to breathe. I definitely feel like it was a movie that had no clue what it wanted to be so it just decided to be The Mummy and Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean, etc but doesn't fully nail any of those. Specifically I would say the central antagonists never really reach the heights of the ones in those movies and feel mostly kinda tacked on just cause there had to be antagonists, I guess. There are some enjoyable moments and parts that got a laugh out of me (both intended and unintended) and the leads as stated are good, and played well enough off each other. Overall it was just okay though, about what I expected of it.

I liked it. I can see this getting a trilogy where the second movie fixes some of the issues of the first.

The only bad part is the CGI, which stands out like a sore thumb.

For those mentioning the CGI: did you see it in a theater or at home? I thought the CGI looked decent on the big screen. But then again, I don’t see many big budget CGI packed movies.

For those mentioning the CGI: did you see it in a theater or at home? I thought the CGI looked decent on the big screen. But then again, I don’t see many big budget CGI packed movies.
I saw it on the big screen too and thought most of the CGI was good, especially the honey bee ghost guy.

I saw it on the big screen.

My comparison for the conquistadors was the black pearl crew in PotC, and PotC is just better. This might have just been a character design problem, but I don't think it was.
The second bit is the animals. The jaguar and other animals seemed separate from the environment around them, like the lighting and interaction with the human characters just seemed off sometimes. I should note that this wasn't every seen.

According to Dwane Johnson, there's a sequel meeting for the movie this weekend. I think this is the type of movie that could make for a new franchise for Disney if they can just stick the landing on the film, because quite frankly, the final act of this film is where things start to fall apart. It's a fun adventure flick for most of the movie.

I saw with opening night and while the script does get away with some yadda yadda yadda'ing because of people's familiarity with Pirates, it was a fun movie that we enjoyed. I'd love to see a sequel.

And now, THR is reporting that it's moving forward.

Not surprising at all. It's been one of the most successful films this summer and had pretty long legs, along with an extremely high audience score on RT (92%). I think outside of a pandemic a movie like this might have a decent shot at around $500M or more (especially if it were to get a Chinese release which this movie hasn't gotten).

Not surprising at all. It's been one of the most successful films this summer and had pretty long legs, along with an extremely high audience score on RT (92%). I think outside of a pandemic a movie like this might have a decent shot at around $500M or more (especially if it were to get a Chinese release which this movie hasn't gotten).
I thought it was the perfect type of popcorn movie I was looking for this summer. I'm itching to pre-order this on Blu-ray since it came out.

However, I don't want the ride to be turned into the movie. Keep them separate.

I thought it was the perfect type of popcorn movie I was looking for this summer. I'm itching to pre-order this on Blu-ray since it came out.

However, I don't want the ride to be turned into the movie. Keep them separate.
They just spent the money to modernize the ride, I don't think we're in danger of them spending more money on it so soon. If the sequel movie is a big hit though, that's when you might want to worry about them potentially doing to Jungle Cruise what they did to Pirates.