Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

He needs to get to Silver Dollar City then, how Dollywood won best shows over SDC is just because of popularity. SDC is the overall gem of the Herchend Parks. I love both bit SDC is just special at the right times. Will be there this weekend for the kick off of the Fall crafts and cowboy stuff.
His schedule is solid though. He has a Disney cruise Saturday and then it's back to Universal and finally home to England.

UK Trigg earlier today posted two sets of photos from his Dollywood trip on the 'An Epic Adventure-A Live & Interactive Trip Report' thread.

There has to be some point at which Lightning Rod is stable. I think it is such a draw for people hearing about the park it would be worth even a ton of maintenance costs.

Breaking News from UK Trigg & Bob Wadd on the An Epic Adventure-A Live & Interactive Trip Report concerning the Lightening Rod coaster at Dollywood.

Breaking News from UK Trigg & Bob Wadd on the An Epic Adventure-A Live & Interactive Trip Report concerning the Lightening Rod coaster at Dollywood.
I dont think Lightning Rod will be replaced. I heard it is opening in October and if not it will 99% be open by next season or November.

Day 15 – Dollywood, Rain & A Turtle
We also learned that the troubled Lightening Rod is to be replaced with a new ride in the near future.

Um...yeah...I don't think so. I'm not sure if that was just thrown in for humor, but...nope...not buying it.

It wouldn't be the first time a troubled coaster disappeared early in it's life. Drachen Fire in BGW was torn down after only two years or so after being opened. I would think guarantees are still in place this early, so perhaps Dollywood tries to get their money back to a degree, or as Alexander Bush says, make some major alterations.

It wouldn't be the first time a troubled coaster disappeared early in it's life. Drachen Fire in BGW was torn down after only two years or so after being opened. I would think guarantees are still in place this early, so perhaps Dollywood tries to get their money back to a degree, or as Alexander Bush says, make some major alterations.

SoB called in that regard too.

I would be shocked if it's torn down, but I think the biggest problem that can easily be fixed, is that launch. It's not needed, and causes enough trouble as it is.

If Lightning Rod is going..who's to say it won't just be the same coaster, but removing the most troubling aspect of the coaster, the LSM?
The launch isn't the issue. The park has pointed this out numerous times. If anything, the trains are too heavy and are beating the track up; specifically at the bottom of the drop where the "pothole" is.

Drachen Fire was in operation from 1992-1998.

Didn't put it in for humour. The sever in the restaurant brought it up. Her words were its being replaced. Naturally punch is salt, but that is what I was told.

Dollywood has been quick to replace in the past. They went round and round with HUSS over a topple tower. Yanked a perfectly good Mack Splash battle and yanked a rather expensive newer ropes course.

I'd guess one of the major issues with this is it's just not a coaster placed within a amusement or theme park. It has an entire expansion land build in conjunction with this. If the coaster is most always down, I would think that entire area of the park is not reaching the return on investment that was envisioned and planned for. That's a serious problem and can only be rectified by having a highlight attraction that is dependable and operating nearly 100% of the time.

Well I just got an email that says that Lightning Rod will be available for exclusive ride time to pass holders in October... so let's squash the rumor (especially now that we know that it came from a seasonal $9/hr employee ;) )

Didn't put it in for humour. The sever in the restaurant brought it up. Her words were its being replaced. Naturally punch is salt, but that is what I was told.
The server in a restaurant at the park isn't going to know anything in regards to a ride removal. Unless it comes from the park president or other higher up official it means nothing.

I'd guess one of the major issues with this is it's just not a coaster placed within a amusement or theme park. It has an entire expansion land build in conjunction with this. If the coaster is most always down, I would think that entire area of the park is not reaching the return on investment that was envisioned and planned for. That's a serious problem and can only be rectified by having a highlight attraction that is dependable and operating nearly 100% of the time.

I figure that they might go with a proven launch coaster provider. I was thinking maybe Intamin or Premier could set up the launch on the lift hill and retrofit the trains for the fins. Make that part work more reliably and that should fix everything.

I figure that they might go with a proven launch coaster provider. I was thinking maybe Intamin or Premier could set up the launch on the lift hill and retrofit the trains for the fins. Make that part work more reliably and that should fix everything.

Intamin and Premier outsource their electromagnets the same exact way RMC does.

This is a marque ride that put the park on the map for a bunch if people. It is not like bad troubled rides of the past.

Whatever the real near future plans are (continue as is, re do, or replace the coaster), I'd think it's incumbent upon the park to get that marque attraction working more than every now and then status if they're going to get a decent return on a pretty heavy investment for that new land area of the park. Broken down attractions, even greatly lauded ones, will not pull in attendance, and make money for the park. Revenue is the bottom line.