Dollywood! | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Dollywood!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they were sold on "Gattlingburg Hagrid" when they already have a coaster with launches and forward and backwards sections (and show scenes) that opened 5 years earlier (than hagrids). It's just that we expected more with the description. At least a romp in the actual woods but really, there are no more woods in that area so you get what you get.

A real bear would not be happy with the lack of cover.

• Haha
Reactions: jarmor
Good god....Big Bear Mountain coaster looks like Slinky Dog on steroids!

Needs more trees

I'll go ahead and say Wildwood Grove sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of lack of trees and shade

Especially when compared to the lush nature of the rest of the park

The fact that this has basically zero landscaping is concerning

Now y'all know how the SFMM fans feel whenever we get a new coaster. Not only do they cut down every tree in existance to put a new coaster in there, they put it over a slab of concrete!

Reactions: SkiBum
Now y'all know how the SFMM fans feel whenever we get a new coaster. Not only do they cut down every tree in existance to put a new coaster in there, they put it over a slab of concrete!

Cedar Fair's track record isn't that great, either, with regard to trees. Cedar Point's midway is a furnace devoid of shade. When KI added Orion, they removed any trees within 50 feet of the coaster's path in either direction. They did better with Mystic Timbers but they could have left or planted trees back by the turnaround. I wish that parks would be forced to add trees back.

I just went to Silver Dollar City for the first time over Christmas. Some people like it even more but I definitively think Dollywood is better. It just feels more set up to handle bigger crowds. The cave at SDC is amazing though.

What I like about these parks is that they really offer something for everyone. You could spend a day seeing the entertainment/doing rides. or just enjoying the food/atmosphere. Also there are really no duds in the ride collection. I think the Dollywood area is easily may favorite place to vacation in America outside of the parks around Orlando or LA. Everything is a much better value too and the national park is something that those other places can't replicate. We are talking about doing a big family vacation this summer and there really is not an affordable place within driving distance that offers the variety of Dollywood and the surrounding area.

On the coaster I thought I heard it was 50 million which is pretty significant or just how much major coasters are going to cost now with inflation. Maybe its because of the long track in this case. I imagine Disney spent at least as much for slinky dog for a worse coaster.

I just went to Silver Dollar City for the first time over Christmas. Some people like it even more but I definitively think Dollywood is better. It just feels more set up to handle bigger crowds. The cave at SDC is amazing though.

What I like about these parks is that they really offer something for everyone. You could spend a day seeing the entertainment/doing rides. or just enjoying the food/atmosphere. Also there are really no duds in the ride collection. I think the Dollywood area is easily may favorite place to vacation in America outside of the parks around Orlando or LA. Everything is a much better value too and the national park is something that those other places can't replicate. We are talking about doing a big family vacation this summer and there really is not an affordable place within driving distance that offers the variety of Dollywood and the surrounding area.

On the coaster I thought I heard it was 50 million which is pretty significant or just how much major coasters are going to cost now with inflation. Maybe its because of the long track in this case. I imagine Disney spent at least as much for slinky dog for a worse coaster.
Getting a vacay cabin in the hills with a view is almost enough without the parks but that is the way you do Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Their strips ugliness is magnified by the stretch of NPS between them. It's kinda a feel good about all the business they brought to the area but the natural beauty is only inside the park boundaries any more.

Reactions: SkiBum

While not cheap, I would endorse a trip to the Biltmore Estate if you go to Gatlinburg. It is an hour and a half away with a beautiful drive and the estate is breathtaking. Going in early May is a color explosion from all the flowers and flowering shrubs but it is beautiful in all seasons.

Reactions: twebber55
I'll be going to Dollywood for the first time this September. Usually a September Orlando trip but I'm done going to WDW. I'm going spent 10 days there so I can spend some time in the Smokey Mountains and surrounding area.

Thinking three of four park days is enough?

I'll be going to Dollywood for the first time this September. Usually a September Orlando trip but I'm done going to WDW. I'm going spent 10 days there so I can spend some time in the Smokey Mountains and surrounding area.

Thinking three of four park days is enough?
I think you’ll need two days just to give yourself a chance on Lightning Rod. It’s so unreliable lol But I think a full day at Dollywood is adequate if you’re there from open till close.

I would strongly consider giving yourself at least two days to explore Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. There’s so many cool places there and quirky attractions. The Mountain coasters are amazing (My personal favorite is Goats on the Roof),the Skyways to the Mountain View’s are breathtaking, plus they have the Earthquake ride and the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride. Those standalone rides are so ridiculous and cheesy they’re amazing. If you want a good bite to eat there, strongly recommend the Old Mill Inn.

I think four days sounds about right to check out Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Dollywood. You’ll have a lot of fun there!

Reactions: MagdolHauntsMe
I am considering a day in early May and will probably miss this coaster as it will undoubtedly open the week after my visit. Still, I may take another trip to pick up the coaster credit this fall.

Damn that thing moves, kind of like if you made a family ride out of the final few turns in Velocicoaster.

It uses the terrain really well. If they plant some trees around this thing or as those already planted mature, it will be an even better ride. My tunnel fixation still wishes that they had enclosed some of the turns a little bit but it looks like a blast.

Excited for this coaster. Looks like another great addition. As I get older I look foreward more to rides I can re ride comfortably.

Finally. I hope they can actually restore some of the original speed over the top but it sounds like it will be at least as good as the current neutered version. I am guessing it will utilize something like skyrush?

I got too busy at work to go in September so I went Dec. 5 to 14. Stayed in Gatlinburg for a few days then at HeartSong for a few days.

I sure missed riding Lighting Rod - seeing it looming over that side of the park was a constant reminder I was missing it. But the have some really nice coasters. And a lot of shows. So beautiful at Christmas. I had a great time.

Reactions: UNIrd and IzzyB