Dragon Challenge Accidentally Dueling | Inside Universal Forums

Dragon Challenge Accidentally Dueling

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 29, 2013
Florida
Hey I was on a VIP tour of Universal and asked the tour guide what he thought about the dragons not dueling anymore, and he said that some times they accidentally duel. Is this true? I think it would be impossible because of the computer programming.

When I was at IOA a few weeks ago, I actually witnessed Red and Blue leave the station at the same time, and I thought "Yay dueling!" Then one of them slowed down almost to a complete stop on the lift to prevent them from dueling.

By the way... any word on when or if this will ever start Dueling again? I miss it...

Last edited:
Misleading title...I thought there was gonna be a vid or something of them accidentally dueling.

But no, Im pretty sure that they dont, because like he said one usually slows down on the lift hill if they go up at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Misleading title...I thought there was gonna be a vid or something of them accidentally dueling.

But no, Im pretty sure that they dont, because like he said one usually slows down on the lift hill if they go up at the same time.

I've seen them duel a few times since they officially stopped the dueling feature. whether it is accidental or on purpose remains to be seen...

Doubtful. The only way I could see them justifying them dueling again would be to put up some kind of net or screen where the two coasters intersect at the big vertical loops, and then what's the point of them dueling? Unfortunately, like most things today, all it took was one jackass to screw this awesome feature up for everyone. The coasters dueled without incident for over 10 years before some idiot decided it would be funny to let something go right in the middle of the vertical loops and see it smash into people on the opposite coaster. And I'm going to stop now to be polite, because I could seriously go on a ten page rant about stuff like this. Although I think the better solution would have been to video tape the loop, and when they found who was doing this, to just hand them over to the other guests and let them beat the living hell out of him/her.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Totally agree, I was on the ride in August just before it stopped dueling and it isnt the same without the feature, its now just two decent coasters that are side by side

I agree that they should put camera's on the coasters like RRR. They could even charge for the video's and make money.
If someone lets something go leave the whole train locked till you can figure out who did it.
Ban them for life plus give info to anyone hurt so they could sue that person.

The only problem I see is if you accidently release your cell phone.
that your not supposed to have on you ?
I was standing in twister que and a cell slammed into the fence there.
Glad it hit the fence because if it had hit someone it would have hurt.

Slightly off topic but along the lines of things flying from coasters.....I'm surprised there aren't more injuries on Sapce Mountain. They let you bring cameras, cell phones, whatever on that ride and all it would take would be for one dropped camera to fall at the wrong time and - SMACK! - some unsuspecting rider takes a flying DSLR to the face - in the dark. Would be an awful (potentially fatal) scenario. Maybe it's already happened.

Anyways, sorry for the depressing visual but it's something I've thought about as I have held on for dear life to my camera many times on that bumpy dark ride.

Slightly off topic but along the lines of things flying from coasters.....I'm surprised there aren't more injuries on Sapce Mountain. They let you bring cameras, cell phones, whatever on that ride and all it would take would be for one dropped camera to fall at the wrong time and - SMACK! - some unsuspecting rider takes a flying DSLR to the face - in the dark. Would be an awful (potentially fatal) scenario. Maybe it's already happened.

Anyways, sorry for the depressing visual but it's something I've thought about as I have held on for dear life to my camera many times on that bumpy dark ride.

That's exactly what happened about 10 years ago, a doctor was hit on the head by a falling object (probably a camera battery) on Space Mountain and was permanently disabled. Big lawsuit...
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-02-14/news/0302140371_1_space-mountain-romero-disney-world

I went to DHS for the first time in a really long time a few weeks ago, and I was shocked to see that you could just bring bags and random things on Rock n Roller Coaster and have them just sit there in the car with you.

From my sources, this is definitely false. The system they used to make the trains duel has been reverse engineered so that they never duel. I mean it's possible that it could have a glitch and accidentally misfire, but I think the attendants would then enable an E-Stop to prevent that

^I honestly don't think they would E-stop for that. Not worth the hassle to reset it. Ah never mind, it's a B&M, all you gotta do is push 3 buttons and it's up again.

I don't think it's worth the call to maintenance to get a key for a reset. It's not supposed to do it, but if it screws up and duels, I don't think anybody would be in immediate danger.

I don't think it's worth the call to maintenance to get a key for a reset. It's not supposed to do it, but if it screws up and duels, I don't think anybody would be in immediate danger.
I think some tms would just act like they didnt notice then when management comes they will play dumb

Inside tip. The trains will never duel EVER again. It's near impossible for it to happen for one because they took out the weighing and dueling functions from the control panel.

IF the dragons were to ever duel....let's just say that thanks to the settlement in that injury case, it would be a VERY costly mistake and the ride would most likely be closed for investigation.

There is a website that lists all accidents at Theme/Amusement parks, and there was a report of someone on Space Mountain who got hit in the face by an old school camera and was killed, but obviously it's a report on the internet, so everything must be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

Inside tip. The trains will never duel EVER again. It's near impossible for it to happen for one because they took out the weighing and dueling functions from the control panel.

IF the dragons were to ever duel....let's just say that thanks to the settlement in that injury case, it would be a VERY costly mistake and the ride would most likely be closed for investigation.

:'( No fair!!! ugh... the ride has lost its spark since the incident.