Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dry 'n Tame Hotel Speculation (Project 566)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

What IP or IP Family within Dreamworks or Illuminations has/have surfing or beaches as a central theme since we seem to have a surfboard shaped pool?
Madagascar....But I'm not sure the IP is relevant enough. That's something Universal would have to survey to see if it's still suitable.

Yeah, if this is a AoA style hotel, I wouldn't expect a ton of consistency. I would hope the themed areas would be more along the lines of AoA than the All-Stars though.

I think all you need to look at is Cabana Bay to realize Uni probably won't go as tacky as the All-Stars. Plus I doubt Loews would be all that happy with that.
Complete side note, but how much control does Loews have over the hotels? I always assumed that Universal built the hotels how they wanted and then Loews just handled day-to-day operations (mostly because Universal didn't have the desire / power to back when the resort opened)

Complete side note, but how much control does Loews have over the hotels? I always assumed that Universal built the hotels how they wanted and then Loews just handled day-to-day operations (mostly because Universal didn't have the desire / power to back when the resort opened)

I have to assume Universal has to adhere to some baseline rules Lowes wants, but that is a good question.

Lots of cool characters they could use from Madagascar, Alex, Marty the penguins heck they could even have Gloria? (the hippo) swimming around in the pool. like @Mad Dog said though, it is an old IP but then again so is Mickey Mouse, who knows :shrug:

I don't think we should be analyzing those as if they are final designs. I always thought those were just to give the city an idea on what they were going for
No doubt. But, if we assume the architectural structure and location of the buildings is somewhat correct, that's pretty much the shape the pool will need to be. Also, it's situated on the Lake, with some sort of visible beach and walking path structure to lend to the theme, which they've also been consistent with.

Would love to see an over the top fountain show on that lake a la Bellagio, as we've discussed before.

Plus, Uni/Loews have been pretty consistent with their Seven Seas Beach Themes with the other hotels. So, it wouldn't be out of the norm. I was just wondering if one of either DreamWorks or Illum had a tie-in for the family aspect. But, I'm not sure if Loews Corporate would want to get too much into the IP game besides theme-d suites.

It will be interesting to see.

Holy crap that is awesome.

My job involved the Nickelodeon Suites somewhat and I had been hearing that the management was running it into the ground, refusing to invest in the property like they should, etc.

I used to work there. The owners were an equity company that would buy up properties but didn't really put much into them. They got rid of the Holiday Inn name prior to me working there to cut costs. They thought the Nickelodeon name would be enough to keep the property busy. Management was terrible and the property was in bad shape. It was not worth the money people spent to stay there. It was eventually sold. The new owners took back the Holiday Inn flag, but let Nickelodeon go. :(

I have to assume Universal has to adhere to some baseline rules Lowes wants, but that is a good question.

Presuming they are going with Loewe's, nothing stopping them going their own way with these new builds and making more bank. Loewe's is tried and tested and also a good partner though, so maybe it will be a case of it it aint broke don't fix it.

It is a complete 50/50 joint venture with Loews alone operating them.
Loews only carries the "Loews" name on the three deluxes- but owns just as much at CB/SF as RPR/HR/PB- at 50%. They just don't want their name tied into CB/SF as they aren't "top echelon" like their other resorts nationwide.
I'd argue they are, but I don't run Loews.

Presuming they are going with Loewe's, nothing stopping them going their own way with these new builds and making more bank. Loewe's is tried and tested and also a good partner though, so maybe it will be a case of it it aint broke don't fix it.

I could be wrong, but I think they're locked in with Lowes for at least 7 resorts. I read some of the agreement back in the day, but forget the exact details.

No doubt. But, if we assume the architectural structure and location of the buildings is somewhat correct, that's pretty much the shape the pool will need to be. Also, it's situated on the Lake, with some sort of visible beach and walking path structure to lend to the theme, which they've also been consistent with.

Would love to see an over the top fountain show on that lake a la Bellagio, as we've discussed before.

Plus, Uni/Loews have been pretty consistent with their Seven Seas Beach Themes with the other hotels. So, it wouldn't be out of the norm. I was just wondering if one of either DreamWorks or Illum had a tie-in for the family aspect. But, I'm not sure if Loews Corporate would want to get too much into the IP game besides theme-d suites.

It will be interesting to see.

I imagined them the opposite way around, with Cirque being the one with the surfboard (lady parts) shaped pool. The other site has two pools which I see as better for families with kids, this would suit an AofA style theme better IMO.

on which site are the people in the know expecting Cirque to go? lady parts (W&W) or double pool (across the road)?

I could be wrong, but I think they're locked in with Lowes for at least 7 resorts. I read some of the agreement back in the day, but forget the exact details.

Were expecting at least ten if I recall correctly, be interesting to see what happen here if that be the case.

I used to work there. The owners were an equity company that would buy up properties but didn't really put much into them. They got rid of the Holiday Inn name prior to me working there to cut costs. They thought the Nickelodeon name would be enough to keep the property busy. Management was terrible and the property was in bad shape. It was not worth the money people spent to stay there. It was eventually sold. The new owners took back the Holiday Inn flag, but let Nickelodeon go. :(
That is what I was hearing as well. I'm glad I'm not crazy, too, I could have sworn that it had shared the Holiday Inn brand at first, but just couldn't remember for sure. Silly move to drop the flag, you get so much more exposure for your hotel through their network.

That is what I was hearing as well. I'm glad I'm not crazy, too, I could have sworn that it had shared the Holiday Inn brand at first, but just couldn't remember for sure. Silly move to drop the flag, you get so much more exposure for your hotel through their network.

I just wonder what happened to the Time Capsule. It was moved to the Nick Hotel when Universal closed the studio.

Lots of cool characters they could use from Madagascar, Alex, Marty the penguins heck they could even have Gloria? (the hippo) swimming around in the pool. like @Mad Dog said though, it is an old IP but then again so is Mickey Mouse, who knows :shrug:
And they can have those funny penguins, as robot penguins, delivering drinks to guests on the beach. ;):thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.