Editorial: No Room for Mistakes – The Wizarding World of Harry Potter | Inside Universal Forums

Editorial: No Room for Mistakes – The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree with a lot of the points stated and I agree USH isn't know for it's expansive walkways. This attraction set could be a blessing and a curse for the park. On the one hand it will bring a much needed boost of profit for the park which could lead to a possible expansion. However this could gridlock the park on some of the busiest times of the year. It all depends of the route they choose in order to get to the attractions. It could in fact separate the crowds a little for those just wanting to visit the WWOHP and levitate the waits on the current rides and attractions. I would be interested to see how this effects HHN, I know that J.K Rowling has stated they are not to use the one in Orlando as part of the event. However since most of the rides are left open during HHN, I'd be curious to see if they'd leave it open as well just unaltered, it could have the benefit as well of reducing the crowd a little as the site is of to the side. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: alexvstorace
I have full confidence that Hollywood will tackle these problems by the time opening day comes, but it's a daunting situation. There's a lot riding on the success of Potter.

I'm glad you mentioned Halloween Horror Nights. I wonder how creative they can get once Potter becomes closed off.

Reactions: David
Once Harry Potter Opens.. its going to be.. a REAL Summer of Survival!  ;)   All i can say is USH will probably come up with something to spread the crowd out. i can imagine the rest of the park people will be spread out.. but not Wizarding world of Harry Potter its going to be Packed! i can imagine. 

Reactions: JaySalahi
I am very worried for USH with Potter. I am looking forward to the attraction, but I will surely miss the peaceful side of the park. My only hope is that Uni will make a boatload of cash so JP can get a refurb.

Great article. As excited as I am for Harry Potter (I can't express how excited), I'm even more so worried about USH. I sincerely don't think they'll be able to handle the ultra surge in attendance. There simply won't be enough for guests to do and the park will be a sardine can. On busy days NOW, it feels very uncomfortable. Yes, we're lacking T2, but with Potter, even with the added capacity of Minion Mayhem and the Potter rides, I think it'll be a sardine can. If it was up to me, I'd add ANOTHER major ride ASAP before Potter, and give a Go to replacing Special Effects Stage. And I'd add another "experience/attraction" to the tour ASAP. The park is really going to need it.....

Similar to USF adding Transformers. I think one of the biggest reasons they added Transformers was to also help with the capacity once the London Potter expansion opens.

I have a feeling that Universal will pull off a Disney style crowd thing. Close the park due to capacity, and reopen.

What I meant was close the gates once into full capacity, and reopen

I think in the end, Universal will make the necessary improvements needed to increase capacity. With Plaza, parking and restroom construction, we can see progress already being made.

But Potter will undoubtedly stress the entire layout of the entire - regardless of what they try to do. Just look at Orlando. The stakes for this project are high, and Hollywood will be undergoing a fundamental shift in the coming years. We may not recognize the Upper Lot in its current state.

I don't even recognize it right now. LOL. It looks soo different without the old Shrek shop and WWW show.

Great article and I'm sure the possible issue of Potter in Hollywood has been on fans' minds since the announcement back in 2011. The frustrating part is Universal is so dang secretive. They make an announcement maybe once a year.

Although USH's lack of space and its awkward layout gives us plenty incentive to worry about Potter's place in the park, I don't think Universal would have made the announcement had they not already figured everything out. I trust them.

Minion Mayhem isn't really a crowd eater. Sure, it'll be popular, but the capacity is lacking - reminiscent of The Simpsons. I think Waterworld should stay for the first few years of Potter's stay to draw some crowds in, and same with SES (whether or not it's improved - it's really popular).

I'm a fan of rides that use the efficient loading system seen in Forbidden Journey, Transformers, and a few Disney rides (ride vehicles are always moving, walk on large conveyor belts, etc.). You get in, pull down the bar, and ride. You get out of the ride vehicle, and exit. Everything's super snappy, and it proves useful on peak days.

Lets remember also that by the time potter hits USH we probably wont have any more by a day get a year passes(maybe a $20-30 upgrade to the basic pass which will have  more black out dates then ever) which will help slightly help Uni with crowds.

^ Good point! USH will definitely get rid of BADGAYF passes. Those tickets (as nice as they are to those who can't afford a larger AP) really will not be worth selling anymore, as they'll overload attendance way too much. The passes were good when the parks weren't as busy or popular. I definitely think getting rid of those passes will slightly help with the crowds.

Also, even though USH may implement the similar Time Return system they have in Florida on peak days for Potter (get a fastpass of sorts and come back to Wizarding World later in the day), I still think the park will be a sardine.

Here's to hoping our Minion Mayhem will end up having increased attendance afterall!

Do you guys think Universal Studios Hollywood will get rid of the Gate A program and replace with a type of "fast pass" system Disney uses to get people out of the regular line? (That just means longer lines for the front of the line line) (I know, I rephrasedwhat Allen said. It's meaning isn't very clear. But that is close enough for me)

^ No.  Way too much money to be made.

Plus, adding a free ride reservation service will just put more people in the park walkways, and that is the last thing this park needs.

No way in hell would Universal offer a free fast pass type system when they charge a fortune for FOTL/Gate A. There will be more of an incentive to sell Gate A even more expensive once Potter is built.

Also, even though USH may implement the similar Time Return system they have in Florida on peak days for Potter (get a fastpass of sorts and come back to Wizarding World later in the day), I still think the park will be a sardine.
Here's to hoping our Minion Mayhem will end up having increased attendance afterall!
Minion Mayhem is a dog in terms of guest turnover per hour. I'm not sure what improvements could be done to increase capacity (besides constructing a larger show room), but the entire attraction moves at a snail's pace. It didn't help that Florida seemed oddly inefficient on a peak day on both of my visits.

Funny that you mention the park being packed...they could always attempt to increase the capacity of some of the park's attractions. Whether that means more queue - who knows. But it's another way of getting people off the streets.

(I meant capacity, not attendance by the way, but you got what I meant ;) )

What USH needs is another people eating attraction. Be it a nee popular show to replace SES, or a new major attraction besides Minion Mayhem, or maybe something new on the tour. USH will need it.