Effect of Disney's purchase of Lucas Film on Universal? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Effect of Disney's purchase of Lucas Film on Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly because its Disney, who very little have much trust in to do anything other then kids movies and the odd original movie (stuffing up ever sequel, non-animated).

Maybe you should check who owns Touchstone Pictures. Disney had been making "more mature" movies for years.

Also how could Disney screw up Star Wars any more than Lucas did with ep 1-3?

So to say its fact that SW fans are upset is bogus. Where is your polling data that proves your statment.

Im a SW fan and say "why not". Any EVEY SW fan I talk to say this is "great".

Last edited:
As I said: "People like NEW when it comes to their theme park rides. "

Your entire post implied that slapping Star Wars on the usual C and D faire Disney has been trotting out would be good enough. I think it isn't. WWOHP and specifically FJ works not just because it's a beloved franchise, but because it's a damn good ride that blew people's minds. Right now for Disney, that's more important IMO. They have no problem pushing merch. Another Star Tours won't blow people away. If they wanna make any sort of impact with this, it would need to be with the bygone innovation we've sorely missed.

Your entire post implied that slapping Star Wars on the usual C and D faire Disney has been trotting out would be good enough. I think it isn't. WWOHP and specifically FJ works not just because it's a beloved franchise, but because it's a damn good ride that blew people's minds. Right now for Disney, that's more important IMO. They have no problem pushing merch. Another Star Tours won't blow people away. If they wanna make any sort of impact with this, it would need to be with the bygone innovation we've sorely missed.

Well that is NOT what I implied. I said "if disney made Star Wars the NEXT big thing in 5 years or so ". That implies that I would expect a "E" ticket expansion to make SW top dog. Anything less "Star Tours" is just pointless and would make this merger pointless at the parks.

Last edited:
Call this blind ignorance but what other franchises does lucasfilm own other than star wars? Disney already has star wars stuff so they wouldnt have needed to purchase all of lucasfilm just to expand on star wars. Knowing Disney of late its as some are saying- merch, movies, tv. Same ole Disney.

Star Wars is 35 years old and still going pretty strong (my 7 year old nephew LOVES Star Wars.......it's his favorite LEGO toy collection). Where will Harry Potter be in 30 years?

Star Wars transcends generations and there has been enough new stuff out there to keep it going among present day children. Disney has only scratched the surface with Star Wars in its theme parks. Like I said.......I am NOT a Disney fanatic, but some of you Universal fans are starting to remind me of the Disney apologists that run rampant on mice chat............:ears:

Last edited:
Call this blind ignorance but what other franchises does lucasfilm own other than star wars? Disney already has star wars stuff so they wouldnt have needed to purchase all of lucasfilm just to expand on star wars. Knowing Disney of late its as some are saying- merch, movies, tv. Same ole Disney.

It's been said in the other thread but this isn't about Star Wars in the parks. They wanted Lucasfilm for in house effects, and the rights to the actual Star War universe.

Disney is way bigger than Disney Parks.

kind of a sidenote, but I feel like the Hunger games would be a better thing to snatch up rather then Star Wars. The Hunger Games is only gaining steam at this point, it would make sense to take advantage of that.

There is already a cartoon that's been mentioned to go to the Disney XD channels..sorry if this has already been said.

kind of a sidenote, but I feel like the Hunger games would be a better thing to snatch up rather then Star Wars. The Hunger Games is only gaining steam at this point, it would make sense to take advantage of that.

Yeah, a movie franchise about killing kids would make for great marketing and theme park attractions!

My view is :

Start Releasing Episode 7, 8 and 9 while you are also throwing out a TV show, new "kid" shows animated or not, merchandise beyond belief and an influx of video games and they can eventually repeat 1977 all over again for another generation. Star Wars is going to be EVERYWHERE.

You can then capitalize on this by making a theme park / expanding an existing one to include these new and original elements. Anyone who thinks this wouldn't make money and wouldn't be bigger then Potter personally is crazy. Potter as a franchise has legs BUT it is disadvantaged by the fact it has no continuation, it has no "world" that keeps on turning after the films have stopped. JK has said never say never but as you can tell by her "adult" book she literally lucked out with HP. As franchises go SW will beat everything every time and with Disney behind it I would argue it will never be toppled.

...on a side note The Hunger Games novel is a great book and actually surprised me as I was expecting some ****ty tween twilight style fiction BUT the film is terrible and glosses over or ignores most of the key elements and sequences that made the book.

I said it on another thread I believe(there are so many Disney Star Wars threads now) but I don't doubt that the Star Wars tv show concept they were aiming for with live action goes back into the works for a spot on ABC.

It's been said in the other thread but this isn't about Star Wars in the parks. They wanted Lucasfilm for in house effects, and the rights to the actual Star War universe.

Disney is way bigger than Disney Parks.

Is that why Iger SPECIFICALLY mentioned new theme park attractions in the announcement?

It won't affect Universal Orlando Resort, and it won't affect Comcast. Someone else said it best, Disney has had theme park rights to Indy and Star Wars for over 20 years and we've gotten Star Tours and a stunt show...

These new movies though, hey, good stuff. Joss Whedon Star Wars, please and thank you.

I'm curious to know if Disney had "full" rights to do whatever they wanted with the Star Wars license or if in fact it was limited solely to one attraction?

I'm curious to know if Disney had "full" rights to do whatever they wanted with the Star Wars license or if in fact it was limited solely to one attraction?

George Lucas would sell a small child if it added an extra $10 to his bank account, the fact that we have Muppet Star Wars and Fab 5 Star Wars merchandise says a lot. I think Disney had the rights to LucasFilm for attractions, and I don't think it would have been all that difficult for them to do more if they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.