Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Voices of Liberty, Savi's Workshop, Dapper Dans and Frozen show are the only ones to keep employment. Everyone else has been laid off. This is unprecedented. I've been in the amusement industry for over 30 years and NEVER have experienced anything like this.
I'm going with my above 'guess'. They're trying to crush 'Equity' and when they bring them back when things settle, it will be on Disney's terms, or they won't come back . Almost a classic union busting move......Short of Poseidon's Fury & Barney , it seems like most of Universal's actors are still working. I don't believe any are Equity though. Is that correct?

Last edited:
I'm going with my above 'guess'. They're trying to crush 'Equity' and when they bring them back when things settle, it will be on Disney's terms, or they won't come back . Almost a classic union busting move.
Problem is, that means far inferior talent if they truly go that route. People in Actors Equity Union have certain expectations on working conditions and what they should be paid for different types of roles.

They will struggle to find anywhere near the same caliber of talent if they try to fill some of their shows with non-equity performers.

Problem is, that means far inferior talent if they truly go that route. People in Actors Equity Union have certain expectations on working conditions and what they should be paid for different types of roles.

They will struggle to find anywhere near the same caliber of talent if they try to fill some of their shows with non-equity performers.
(I don’t think Disney cares...)

Depending on the way the contract with Equity is worded, they may well have to stay with Equity....but Equity may have to accept drastically different, and weaker, work rules to get their people back on the job.
Disney's holding the stronger hand for sure. I absolutely hate to see this happen, and it appears Disney may well be using covid as their wedge, cover, and excuse to get work rules they've desired for a long time. Those
contentious negotiations in the summer probably was a signal this could happen, and gave Disney management labor hardliners leverage over those in the company that are more amenable to labor peace. .

Last edited:
Sounds like Voices of Liberty, Savi's Workshop, Dapper Dans and Frozen show are the only ones to keep employment. Everyone else has been laid off. This is unprecedented. I've been in the amusement industry for over 30 years and NEVER have experienced anything like this.
Sounds like all things that they had already brought back then. Makes you wonder if they’ll keep them past when they’re needed; Dans after Halloween and Voices after the holidays. I love both of them, especially Voices of Liberty and would hate to see more cuts but seems par for the course at this point.

I'm going with my above 'guess'. They're trying to crush 'Equity' and when they bring them back when things settle, it will be on Disney's terms, or they won't come back . Almost a classic union busting move......Short of Poseidon's Fury & Barney , it seems like most of Universal's actors are still working. I don't believe any are Equity though. Is that correct?

Many, perhaps most, are Equity (why you would see the same faces pop up at both parks). Universal is not a union-shop but provides working conditions equal or better to what Equity requires, so union actors can work there. I know a lot of CMs on my Facebook are grateful for that right now.

AFAIK the only Equity positions Universal cut are the pre-show in F&F. Probably Barney, too, but wasn't that cut pre-COVID? Can't recall. FWIW I would miss any of them, they make the park feel alive and vibrant.

BTW, was probably assumed, but this seems to be the end of the Holiday Storytellers as well. World Showcase is two aging boat rides away from being a dead mall food court.

Many, perhaps most, are Equity (why you would see the same faces pop up at both parks). Universal is not a union-shop but provides working conditions equal or better to what Equity requires, so union actors can work there. I know a lot of CMs on my Facebook are grateful for that right now.

AFAIK the only Equity positions Universal cut are the pre-show in F&F. Probably Barney, too, but wasn't that cut pre-COVID? Can't recall. FWIW I would miss any of them, they make the park feel alive and vibrant.

BTW, was probably assumed, but this seems to be the end of the Holiday Storytellers as well. World Showcase is two aging boat rides away from being a dead mall food court.
Those bored spielers in FnF were Equity? Wow.

Editing the naughty word i just noticed

Last edited:

Are the theme parks different to equity?

If you are an active member of Equity you are actually not allowed to take non-union work, unless you ask for permission, and it has to meet certain conditions. Equity is pretty strict about allowing its members to take any non-union work.

I’ve even known equity actors who have had issues getting permission for charitable events in the past.

I'm guessing this has more to do with Disneyland's closure and what's that doing to profit margins vs the actual current situation in WDW.

How can Disney justify still charging full price admission?
People keep paying it?

For now.

COVID has really devastated the Disney product. Much more so than Universal's. I'm pretty sure there is going to be serious brand damage down at the house of mouse. They really haven't handled this well at all. Many long term former employees simply will not go back after how things went down. Being fired via email after 22 years of service doesn't sit well with people. The equity talent will leave town and work at Dolly's Dixie Stampede or Vegas. When travel comes back, and it will come back, Disney is going to find a smaller, less enthusiastic, and less talented workforce to choose from.

I suspect Hoop De Doo won't come back, and it should. BatB will come back, and it shouldn't. FotL will come back, and that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.