Epcot announces 30th Anniversary Plans | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot announces 30th Anniversary Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was there 30 years ago..I'm old :rofl: I have fond memories of Horizons,The Living Seas,The original and best Universe of Energy,the original Journey into Imagination and dining in the Odyssey restaurant with my late parents :thumbs: Lately though it was as if Epcot management just "gave up" and took the park in a direction that would have made Card Walker furious. Innoventions IS.a good place to get some good A/C on a hot summer day and that's about it. Mission:Space...no thanks..the Space Shuttle simulator at KSC is way better IMO. And what exactly is going on with the Wonders of Life building? I know they removed the DNA strand that was outside of it long ago and now it sits in a Disney landfill near where the top of the original fountain now lays...but COME ON DISNEY. I remember a time when it was hard to escape all the advertisements for Body Wars and Disney is just letting it rot? :shrug: At least I have my memories.

So today, for the general public, they had a presentation by Marty Sklar...where he basically proceeded to rip on the current EPCOT. Said they needed to do more to inspire, needed to focus on the future more, needed a new version of Wonders of Life, and he hated on the loss of the logos.

Surprising they ran that.

So today, for the general public, they had a presentation by Marty Sklar...where he basically proceeded to rip on the current EPCOT. Said they needed to do more to inspire, needed to focus on the future more, needed a new version of Wonders of Life, and he hated on the loss of the logos.

Surprising they ran that.

He's completely right.

Well if the fans are any sign, they want retro-EPCOT back. It was a half hour line for the pins and mousegears was full of people wanting to buy classic merchandise. Also the 30th fireworks were like nothing I've ever seen. Really something special when the ground and my entire body started to shake. Definetaly a Disney experience I will never forget.

It's not that they necessarily want classic EPCOT back, it's more that people want the park to return to what it was originally intended to be - A theme park that is forward thinking and full of inspiration. Right now Epcot really has none of that. The atmosphere at the park tonight was great and everyone was blown away by the 30th tag I think. The crowds weren't overwhelming by any stretch, but there was still a bunch of people there, many of which seemed to be fans of EPCOT (yes, EPCOT, not Epcot). I think Disney did a great job overall though. I don't really understand the people who waited in the alleged 3-4 hour long lines for merch early on in the day. I got there around 7:30 and pretty much walked right in. Also, walking out to "Tomorrows Child" and the original "One Little Spark" playing in the background was awesome.

The ONLY murch that sold out completely early was the jumbo stain glass pin... Even I bought the box set around 7:00pm...

I would love for EPCOT to head back towards the original ideas while keeping up with technology... Thrills are alright but we also need stuff to go with them, maybe a new health pavilion that educates while entertain... might I say edutainment.... We don't need to step back but the step forward should be to the middle rather then the edge it's on now... and maybe another world showcase pavilion with a lot to do as well... not just a movie, shopping, and 2 restaurants either...

and maybe another world showcase pavilion with a lot to do as well... not just a movie, shopping, and 2 restaurants either...
Dare I suggest they actually add a ride to one of the pavilions (or a potential new pavilion)? A ride in any pavilion would be very appreciated (not to mention long over due).

Well if the fans are any sign, they want retro-EPCOT back. It was a half hour line for the pins and mousegears was full of people wanting to buy classic merchandise. Also the 30th fireworks were like nothing I've ever seen. Really something special when the ground and my entire body started to shake. Definetaly a Disney experience I will never forget.

I agree. Having had access to all the parks for the past 24 years, I have seen my share for fireworks. Especially the special ones. Last nights was the best EVER! Even better than the 25 year Magic Kingdom around the Seven Seas Lagoon Seen from the top of Contemporary.

The merchandise and all Epcot 30 displays have already been removed.
I like that. Especially for the merch that had October 1, 2012 on it. It kind of ruins it if you buy it after it's over (and makes it more special for those who were there).

I disagree. The park is still in it's 30th year. There's no reason to take the merch out so quickly.
I mean, from a profit perspective, it's a stupid decision. They had to see they made a ton of money yesterday off of that merch. Maybe they should have just taken the limited edition stuff and specifically marked 10/1/12 merch away. I don't have a huge problem with it though, besides the fact that most of the stuff was quality designs and actually made you want to buy it (as opposed to the rest of the crap in the stores).