Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 244 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Back in the WDW ticket-book days, rides were classified based on popularity. You'd think that meant that the great rides were "E"s, and mostly you'd be right. Remember, though, that there was only one park and it didn't have as many rides (I'm sorry, "attractions")*. So, a few others creeped up into that classification, rightly so or not.

aet891043LARGE.jpg

*Still more than DHS and AK have now, though. :p

Back in the WDW ticket-book days, rides were classified based on popularity. You'd think that meant that the great rides were "E"s, and mostly you'd be right. Remember, though, that there was only one park and it didn't have as many rides (I'm sorry, "attractions")*. So, a few others creeped up into that classification, rightly so or not.

aet891043LARGE.jpg

*Still more than DHS and AK have now, though. :p
In reality to didn’t mean the best ride, it meant the rides with a low capacity compared to the demand.

Reactions: fryoj
sorry, I'm quite new to the forum, but that news makes me a very, VERY happy guy

Temper your excitement. Every project Alex mentioned hasn’t even started. Everyone around here said we were supposed to be moving towards much more practical sets, tons of AAs, etc. And we’ve gotten Kong, Fallon and F&F since then. And while I like Kong and fallon, very much in fact, it’s nothing like what people said the future of UOR was going to be.

So forgive me if I’m in “show me first” mode before getting excited that Mark Woodbury, who’s entire career and reputation has been made with screen based attractions, is going to flip a switch and become a different person- no matter how bad we want it.
Could it happen? Sure. But wake me up when a shovel is in the ground.

Temper your excitement. Every project Alex mentioned hasn’t even started. Everyone around here said we were supposed to be moving towards much more practical sets, tons of AAs, etc. And we’ve gotten Kong, Fallon and F&F since then. And while I like Kong and fallon, very much in fact, it’s nothing like what people said the future of UOR was going to be.

So forgive me if I’m in “show me first” mode before getting excited that Mark Woodbury, who’s entire career and reputation has been made with screen based attractions, is going to flip a switch and become a different person- no matter how bad we want it.
yeah, probably too good to be true, but you know what they say, *insert princess leia quote about hope or something*

Reactions: belloq87

That isn't quite true. While us park fanatics were saying there was too much 3D/Screenz, Universal didn't realize that they had a problem until the mixed GSAT scores when Kong opened. At that point, Fallon and F&F were already in motion. After Fallon opened the backlash was obvious. So they changed the F&F plan to nix the 3D aspect and the need for glasses. They also removed the 3D from Forbidden Journey in Hollywood. And they also killed the plan to bring it here.

The Potter coaster will show the direction they are moving now.

After Fallon opened the backlash was obvious. So they changed the F&F plan to nix the 3D aspect and the need for glasses.

I've heard this before. Maybe I'm dense but I'm not quite understanding how removing 3D from F&F at all addresses the issue on the GSAT. If anything removing 3D from the screens makes them LESS immersive and MORE "screen-like" while riding since the edges and flatness aren't masked by the illusion of depth. Can anyone explain this to me? The temp solution to too many screens is to remove the technology that makes the screens immersive? Baffled.

I've heard this before. Maybe I'm dense but I'm not quite understanding how removing 3D from F&F at all addresses the issue on the GSAT. If anything removing 3D from the screens makes them LESS immersive and MORE "screen-like" while riding since the edges and flatness aren't masked by the illusion of depth. Can anyone explain this to me? The temp solution to too many screens is to remove the technology that makes the screens immersive? Baffled.

Considering that the park contains 5 3D attractions and 5 non-3d attractions, it helps a bit.

Considering that the park contains 5 3D attractions and 5 non-3d attractions, it helps a bit.

But it only helps via some arbitrary designation on a map and not by enhancing or changing the experience in a positive way. Removing 3D from an attraction that was designed around the 3D only makes the screen sequences worse. Imagine Kong's first two scenes without the 3D. Those are already "meh" since the screens are so obvious but without 3D the ride would be made worse and I don't think anyone would think, "Now THIS is different! It doesn't have 3D!"

But it only helps via some arbitrary designation on a map and not by enhancing or changing the experience in a positive way. Removing 3D from an attraction that was designed around the 3D only makes the screen sequences worse. Imagine Kong's first two scenes without the 3D. Those are already "meh" since the screens are so obvious but without 3D the ride would be made worse and I don't think anyone would think, "Now THIS is different! It doesn't have 3D!"

I’m picturing a Fast and Furious overlay of Kong that looks like the Chrisopher Walken portions of Disaster.

In reality to didn’t mean the best ride, it meant the rides with a low capacity compared to the demand.
The Hall of Presidents was opened as an "E" was downgraded to a "D" and replaced by Country Bear which went from a "D" to an "E". (CBJ was so popular back then they had to rip out the shops to put an air conditioned queue in)

I'm guessing that like Kong it used 60fps. While the depth wont be there, the feeling of motion will be. Film projected at 60-70fps feels "real" to your brain. ShowScan was a technique developed for that, using 70mm film at 70fps. Many "ride films" were made by showScan. I saw one and it was quite effective - it felt like this train was out of control and the room tilting all over the place. In reality the room never moved at all.

Reactions: tankart150
People hate the glasses, and the 3D can give people headaches and increases motion sickness.

I'm not sure what the plan is, but I am hearing that they have nixed the 3D. We will soon see what they have come up with.

I'm guessing that like Kong it used 60fps. While the depth wont be there, the feeling of motion will be. Film projected at 60-70fps feels "real" to your brain. ShowScan was a technique developed for that, using 70mm film at 70fps. Many "ride films" were made by showScan. I saw one and it was quite effective - it felt like this train was out of control and the room tilting all over the place. In reality the room never moved at all.
Ok but 3d is sill more immersive.

People hate the glasses, and the 3D can give people headaches and increases motion sickness.

I'm not sure what the plan is, but I am hearing that they have nixed the 3D. We will soon see what they have come up with.

I think on a ride like Soarin', 3-D doesn't really help anything....But a ride like this, who knows

The good thing is, they should have at least one Musion scene

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn