FastPass+ | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

FastPass+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The big problem with the WDW system is that you basically have to pre plan in advance what park you go to & the basic hours you're going to attend. If you deviate from that you're pretty much penalized since the good stuff is limited. When I'm on vacation I like to do what I want when I feel like it, and change my plans due to weather or any other reasons. I can do that at Universal & it doesn't matter a bit, but you can't do that at Disney, because your experience will be downgraded. So, know what, I spend my ten thousand plus dollars a year at Universal instead of Disney for most every vacation now. That's the bottom line.

I haven't had any issues with it personally. In fact, I'd argue that my most recent Disney trip was more enjoyable because of it. We went to Hollywood Studios first with semi-early Fast Passes for Star Wars, Aerosmith, and Tower of Terror. By noon we had used all 3 and checked the phone app for additional selections- BOOM: Toy Story Mania was available at 12:15. After scanning our bands to jump in the FastPass line we immediately went back onto the app as we walked towards the loading area, and saw that it (Toy Story Mania) was open again at 12:35 so we selected it. After riding once we literally turned around and got right back in line via FastPass. At this time the posted wait was 55 minutes for Standby and we rode twice over the course of 10 minutes or so.

After Toy Story we checked the FP+ availability at other parks and saw that Expedition Everest had an opening around 4ish. We hopped over to Animal Kingdom and did almost the exact same thing with Everest; scan in > re-select FP+ for 20 minutes later > ride > ride again. Later on as we were walking through Dinoland, we were actually able to select FastPasses for DINOSAUR in the middle of a time window (it was around 5:30 and the window was like 5:20 to 6:20), so we selected it and went right past a 30 minute line to get straight on the ride. The next day we also managed to ride the Seven Dwarfs Train and Peter Pan (arguably the 2 longest lines at Magic Kingdom) with day-of bookings...you just have to be proactive in checking their availability frequently.

Call it good fortune, but we definitely took advantage of FP+. I feel like if you are flexible with what you do and know how to work the system, there is definitely some value to be had there. On the surface it comes across as something that you have to plan out but I could argue just the opposite- it's almost better if you wing it and mold your day around what FP+ options are available.

I haven't had any issues with it personally. In fact, I'd argue that my most recent Disney trip was more enjoyable because of it. We went to Hollywood Studios first with semi-early Fast Passes for Star Wars, Aerosmith, and Tower of Terror. By noon we had used all 3 and checked the phone app for additional selections- BOOM: Toy Story Mania was available at 12:15. After scanning our bands to jump in the FastPass line we immediately went back onto the app as we walked towards the loading area, and saw that it (Toy Story Mania) was open again at 12:35 so we selected it. After riding once we literally turned around and got right back in line via FastPass. At this time the posted wait was 55 minutes for Standby and we rode twice over the course of 10 minutes or so.

After Toy Story we checked the FP+ availability at other parks and saw that Expedition Everest had an opening around 4ish. We hopped over to Animal Kingdom and did almost the exact same thing with Everest; scan in > re-select FP+ for 20 minutes later > ride > ride again. Later on as we were walking through Dinoland, we were actually able to select FastPasses for DINOSAUR in the middle of a time window (it was around 5:30 and the window was like 5:20 to 6:20), so we selected it and went right past a 30 minute line to get straight on the ride. The next day we also managed to ride the Seven Dwarfs Train and Peter Pan (arguably the 2 longest lines at Magic Kingdom) with day-of bookings...you just have to be proactive in checking their availability frequently.

Call it good fortune, but we definitely took advantage of FP+. I feel like if you are flexible with what you do and know how to work the system, there is definitely some value to be had there. On the surface it comes across as something that you have to plan out but I could argue just the opposite- it's almost better if you wing it and mold your day around what FP+ options are available.
I must confess that sounds better than running around the parks to get Fastpasses.

I must confess that sounds better than running around the parks to get Fastpasses.

It is 100x better than the old paper fast pass system now that they fixed it. It had a lot of flaws when it first went live, but now that you can change things on the fly and add another fast pass as soon as you use the first 3, it is really nice system. I have used it many times on the fly both in peak seasons and off season and I haven't had issues with it. I have also changed parks closer to the day and didn't have issues finding stuff in the other park.

No system is going to please everyone. And I totally see why people who stay at the 3 hotels with express at Universal prefer Universal system and spend their money there. I totally see their point, because for them, that system is 100x better than Disney system. Which it is for them. But for everyone else who doesn't stay at those resorts or don't buy express, those people may see more value in the Disney FP+ system. Which is the category I am in since I am a local and never stay at hotels and since I go so much, paying for express every time would be way outside my budget.

It is 100x better than the old paper fast pass system now that they fixed it. It had a lot of flaws when it first went live, but now that you can change things on the fly and add another fast pass as soon as you use the first 3, it is really nice system. I have used it many times on the fly both in peak seasons and off season and I haven't had issues with it. I have also changed parks closer to the day and didn't have issues finding stuff in the other park.

No system is going to please everyone. And I totally see why people who stay at the 3 hotels with express at Universal prefer Universal system and spend their money there. I totally see their point, because for them, that system is 100x better than Disney system. Which it is for them. But for everyone else who doesn't stay at those resorts or don't buy express, those people may see more value in the Disney FP+ system. Which is the category I am in since I am a local and never stay at hotels and since I go so much, paying for express every time would be way outside my budget.
I rarely stay on property and will never pay for express pass, so I really don't like Express Pass.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I'm finally getting to grips with it and I hate it. I really hate it.

Looks like I won't be riding Seven Dwarfs or Frozen (Not that I really care for either but I've never been on them before) unless I'm prepared to wait 2 hours.

Dining reservations are equally as bad with the only place I actually want to go to (Be Our Guest) being completely booked and that's after a week of trying every day and every time.

I understand the business reasons for doing this and that popular restaurants and new rides will always have a longer wait or more difficult to get a reservation but this feels like you're being punished for not staying on site or being prepared to try every hour of every day to find the scraps left over from the early bookers.

The only benefits I see is that it's easier to make reservations and with the popular rides being booked well into the night time, the majority of the other rides are more accessible if you use your passes wisely.

Once you use your FP for a ride, I'm assuming you can book another ride straight away?
I know this is sort of against what Disney is going for in the whole "pre-planning" thing, but you'll best find a Frozen or SDMT FP if you check in the days leading up to your visit. That's why as a local I don't mind the system, but can see why it can be a pain for pretty much everyone else.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Wow, I didn't realise there were so many posts.

Our most recent vacation was a "Universal" vacation with ONE DAY at the Magic Kingdom. At MK, we booked all 3 of our fast passes before 1pm, and then we were able to continue booking all day long, going from ride to ride, using my wife's phone. There was no planning involved. We got to ride all of the headliners and we never had to wait for anything at Disney the entire day. I guess we got lucky, but man I loved it.

At Universal, because we stayed at Cabana Bay we had to wait in a long line for everything and didn't get nearly as much done. We were so tired at Universal from waiting in those long lines. (Please note I am not a Disney fan, I'm a Universal guy...but I'm just stating my experience).

My family SPECIFICALLY enjoyed Magic Kingdom much more because of this and now they want us to take a "Disney" vacation next time. I had to break it to them that the rest of the Disney Parks don't have the same number of rides as MK and that we would need to wait until Star Wars and Avatar gets built.

As for Universal, I'll never stay onsite again without staying at one of the 3 fast pass hotels. Its just a shame that they cost so much. I wish there was a way for non onsite people to get access to a small number of fast passes at Universal without having to pay extra. (Yes, I understand the argument of how fast passes make the lines go up for everything, but I still like it myself because this "broken system" really works better for people like me who can't afford to stay in the fancy hotels).

I started booking my FP+ today and some of the rides I expected to be busy, had plenty of options and I think this is one of the benefits about having a popular ride (SDMT) being fully booked is that it allows the other big rides to be open for FP all day.

There is very mixed opinions on this board and I think it has to do with how you use the system or how you do or do not plan. I also think it depends on the type of person you are where people who got there at rope drop loved the old paper system and those of us who wandered into the park around 2 PM much prefer the new system.

My advice, reservations for places to eat get cancelled around the 24 to 48 hour mark. I have been able to find any place (including BOG) I want by looking around the 24 to 48 mark. I look a couple times a day and normally eventually find what I want. Fast passes are pretty much the same, but looking on the actual day gets me what I want. Also, random weeks in advance. I normally check once a week, because sometimes they release blocks of fast passes in advance. But I normally am able to get what I want with just having my smart phone and checking during boring times of life.

Unless you have used the new system where you can book more after 3 and book everything on your phone, you shouldn't judge it. Because honestly almost everyone I talk to who has used it now that they fixed it, really like it. We make last minute trips to the parks all the time and tend to always ride the rides we want to ride. I did a let's go to Disney 2 weekends ago and we even managed to get fast passes for Mine Train. Normally while my husband drives I just keep refreshing the FP screen to see what pops up.

On a side note, if you still can't get tickets for Mine Train the best time to get into line is right before park closing. The line moves super fast because at park closing the FP lines shuts down and you are only dealing with the people in the Standby. Last time I did that we waited 25 minutes.

I get the price tag does not justify the outcome. They paid way too much for what they got. So I totally agree Disney botched this one. However, the end product is starting to be better and better with each update. It will never be a $2B system, but I am just over that. We can't go back in time and make a $.5B system and $1.5B towards rides. I think Disney probably wishes they had a time machine. But I also feel they needed this dark period because without it and the rise of Universal we wouldn't be getting the next 10 years with Disney. I thin the next 10 years are going to be very interesting for Disney. The number of rumors out there says they do plan to do more. It is just a matter of which rumors come true.

I've started looking a few days from now and I'm seeing more options available that weren't there previously so I'm feeling a bit more confident I'll get the reservations that I want. I've set up the reservation finder on touring plans as well and it is getting some hits but it's often been during the night and I've missed them when waking up.

Funnily enough, this is now looking like my plan for DHS. I didn't have any intention of going to AK but this is looking like a good plan now. All I want to do at AK is Everest since Dinosaur is down for refurbishment and even then all I want is an on ride photo since I have Memory maker included free with the tickets.

There is very mixed opinions on this board and I think it has to do with how you use the system or how you do or do not plan. I also think it depends on the type of person you are where people who got there at rope drop loved the old paper system and those of us who wandered into the park around 2 PM much prefer the new system.

My advice, reservations for places to eat get cancelled around the 24 to 48 hour mark. I have been able to find any place (including BOG) I want by looking around the 24 to 48 mark. I look a couple times a day and normally eventually find what I want. Fast passes are pretty much the same, but looking on the actual day gets me what I want. Also, random weeks in advance. I normally check once a week, because sometimes they release blocks of fast passes in advance. But I normally am able to get what I want with just having my smart phone and checking during boring times of life.

Unless you have used the new system where you can book more after 3 and book everything on your phone, you shouldn't judge it. Because honestly almost everyone I talk to who has used it now that they fixed it, really like it. We make last minute trips to the parks all the time and tend to always ride the rides we want to ride. I did a let's go to Disney 2 weekends ago and we even managed to get fast passes for Mine Train. Normally while my husband drives I just keep refreshing the FP screen to see what pops up.

On a side note, if you still can't get tickets for Mine Train the best time to get into line is right before park closing. The line moves super fast because at park closing the FP lines shuts down and you are only dealing with the people in the Standby. Last time I did that we waited 25 minutes.

I get the price tag does not justify the outcome. They paid way too much for what they got. So I totally agree Disney botched this one. However, the end product is starting to be better and better with each update. It will never be a $2B system, but I am just over that. We can't go back in time and make a $.5B system and $1.5B towards rides. I think Disney probably wishes they had a time machine. But I also feel they needed this dark period because without it and the rise of Universal we wouldn't be getting the next 10 years with Disney. I thin the next 10 years are going to be very interesting for Disney. The number of rumors out there says they do plan to do more. It is just a matter of which rumors come true.

This is a very good post. I totally agree. And I did not have to pre-plan either. It was very easy to take things on a whim. And the best thing of all was that we were able to ride nearly every ride in the park without waiting in line, and without having to pay extra for it. At Universal, my wife kept getting angry watching all those people walk past us in the express line. I told her to just not let it bother you, its just the way things work. You can't be jealous of other people having the extra money to pay for things that you don't. But then at Disney, as we were walking straight on to Splash Mountain, passing a ton of other people, I looked back at her and said "Now we are the ones walking past all these other people, doesn't it feel good?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue and SixThreeBC
This is a very good post. I totally agree. And I did not have to pre-plan either. It was very easy to take things on a whim. And the best thing of all was that we were able to ride nearly every ride in the park without waiting in line, and without having to pay extra for it. At Universal, my wife kept getting angry watching all those people walk past us in the express line. I told her to just not let it bother you, its just the way things work. You can't be jealous of other people having the extra money to pay for things that you don't. But then at Disney, as we were walking straight on to Splash Mountain, passing a ton of other people, I looked back at her and said "Now we are the ones walking past all these other people, doesn't it feel good?"

And this is my experience too. At Universal we normally have to wait in lines. Depending on who we are with and what times we have to go the lines can be pretty long we wait in. But with Disney I very rarely wait in lines no matter when or who I go with. I normally work with my guests to get fast passes and link everyone together so I manage them. My limit on lines is normally 25 minutes at Disney. I won't wait in a line longer than 25 minutes. Most trips if we are in a line for longer than 15 minutes it is rare. When it is just us, we normally navigate the longer lines with fast passes and only do the 15 or under rides between fast passes. If I am with others and they want to ride everything we sometimes wait up to the 25 minutes, but that is not very often. We normally are able to get fast passes for those rides and just do walk ons between fast passes. I also like the new system because I am not running around chasing low wait lines. I have it pretty down path that I will pre-book certain fast passes and I know what low wait lines are around those rides to fill in between fast passes. Then I when we move on to other areas which rides to get fast passes for and which ones we can wait in line for. So there is no running around getting paper passes, it is more relaxing and go with the flow after the first 3 fast passes. Which for those I normally ask people where they want to start and what rides they want. Then I can get a first 3 hour path of rides and then go from there.

But I totally can see the other side like MD where they get express most of their trip and Universal being more relaxing. This is one of those debates where I don't think either side is right or wrong. it is just personal preference based on what you can or want to spend at the parks.

Also, many vacations are based on the rides you want and as you stated outside of MK the rides are pretty blah and not changing. So I think until Star Wars comes in where they will now have 3 new lands, many people prefer Universal because of the newer rides. I also get that and Disney messed up big time by not adding more new stuff over the last 10 years.

Last edited:
To give an update to my current experience. I'm starting to appreciate the system a lot more. I've now managed to get reservations at good times at all the places I want to dine and I'm fairly happy with the FP that I have.

The 2 unexpected things I've noticed is that I'm a lot more excited about heading to Disney than I was before and I feel like I've been sucked into actually having a full diving experience in the park which I have never done before.

I think I might actually be sold on the system now although I've yet to experience it first hand.

I don't know if somebody here can help or not but here goes:

I can book the Sci-Fi Dine -In theater for 9.20pm but the park closes at 9pm. Is this a common thing or is this a mistake?

Yeah I have never seen something after park close before, odd. Maybe they haven't changed the park times yet?

reservation 2.JPG reservation.JPG
My current reservation is currently 8.20pm but I'm trying to find an earlier time so I can catch one of the night time shows. I'd take the 9.20pm one but it took me about 2 weeks of searching to get the current one and I don't want to lose it in case of a mistake.

Edit: While I'm asking questions, I was managing to find reservations for Kona Cafe and now this is coming up for every day I pick.

kona.JPG

Being from the UK, I don't want to make a long distance call just to book a reservation. I'll fire off an email and see what happens. Also, can you buy Magic Bands at TTC and I'm guessing this would be the best place to replace an older ticket I found that still has days on it?

Last edited:
Brown Derby has 8:55 Reservations. So they must be allowing later reservations in DHS. Normally they stop 30 minutes prior to close. But maybe they are letting them go longer to get more money? Maybe call them up? If you need a local to call I can call.

Brown Derby has 8:55 Reservations. So they must be allowing later reservations in DHS. Normally they stop 30 minutes prior to close. But maybe they are letting them go longer to get more money? Maybe call them up? If you need a local to call I can call.

I'll see what happens. Thanks for the offer, Izzy and I'll keep posted with what's happening.