Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Frozen Ever After

By that same token, Epcot has rides that I don't believe Universal gets close to in terms of ride capacity: Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Imagination, etc.
Part of the problem is that the high-capacity rides Epcot has (Imagination, Energy, Nemo) don't have a lot of appeal to the average visitor, so they're seen more as diversions than actual attractions.

If those three attractions were revamped to provide entertaining, enjoyable experiences, the lines wouldn't be 5-minute waits the majority of the year.

Part of the problem is that the high-capacity rides Epcot has (Imagination, Energy, Nemo) don't have a lot of appeal to the average visitor, so they're seen more as diversions than actual attractions.

If those three attractions were revamped to provide entertaining, enjoyable experiences, the lines wouldn't be 5-minute waits the majority of the year.
The problem is people have been programmed to expect highly themed IP-based rides since Potter and Cars Land, which diverts from Epcots mission statement if they follow that path.

The problem is people have been programmed to expect highly themed IP-based rides since Potter and Cars Land, which diverts from Epcots mission statement if they follow that path.

Agreed. Epcot is a broke concept for today's world and Disney doesn't know what to do with it so they have done nothing. Which of course is the wrong course of action, but well Disney has pretty much taken the wrong course for the last 10 years, so nothing new.

I don't buy this at all. Guests can get attracted though things they know, but it's companies who want the profits from Potter. What they ask for "Potter-like" they don't necessary want IP, they want ride, shops, food, and bev that is highly immersive and profitable.

I don't buy this at all. Guests can get attracted though things they know, but it's companies who want the profits from Potter. What they ask for "Potter-like" they don't necessary want IP, they want ride, shops, food, and bev that is highly immersive and profitable.
I agree, mostly.

Yes, guests simply want experiences that are immersive and fun. However, the companies creating them have lost all sense of what original content is and rely almost completely on IPs now.

So it's more the fault of the companies, but Disney seems to have lost their way.

Consumers vote with their money. If they visit and spend more money on IP attractions/areas then the consumers have spoken.

I don't think it is a matter of needing a good IP to earn the consumers' money. It simply makes it a lot easier. Consumers are more likely to gravitate to the familiar. Less risky. That is a large part of why we have become a nation of chains instead of mom and pop businesses. This is also a good part of the sequel/remake media culture we live in.

Consumers vote with their money. If they visit and spend more money on IP attractions/areas then the consumers have spoken.

I don't think it is a matter of needing a good IP to earn the consumers' money. It simply makes it a lot easier. Consumers are more likely to gravitate to the familiar. Less risky. That is a large part of why we have become a nation of chains instead of mom and pop businesses. This is also a good part of the sequel/remake media culture we live in.
Sad, but true.

Sad, but true.
Part of this goes back to the invention of the automobile. When we stayed in one area we were familiar with the local businesses. When we started travelling regularly we looked for the familiar. Chains helped with that.

Name brand products helped with famiarity. New media allowed advertising to create brand identity and loyalty. Familiarity is just built in to our nature, now more than ever.

The name is Disney, not Avatar or Cars that draws them down. That's the familiarity. That's like saying you only go to Applebee's because they use Tyson chicken in their dishes.

The name is Disney, not Avatar or Cars that draws them down. That's the familiarity. That's like saying you only go to Applebee's because they use Tyson chicken in their dishes.
True, but new attractions are usually built to attract more people and revenue. This is above and beyond the existing Disney brand attraction.

About "immersive" - it's a buzzword and was not a thing people clamored for in the past. They still really don't. If you research the word it didn't even exist until recently.

On another thread someone mentioned kids wanting to volunteer for shows... Think about how many people want nothing to do with being part of a show.

About "immersive" - it's a buzzword and was not a thing people clamored for in the past. They still really don't. If you research the word it didn't even exist until recently.

On another thread someone mentioned kids wanting to volunteer for shows... Think about how many people want nothing to do with being part of a show.

If you are talking about a ride, or experience with kids are your target having an aspect of being part of the story will appeal to them. Adults and teens tend to be less willing to jump up to be part of the show, the fear of looking 'silly' is not something children typically suffer from.
When my son was 7 he was thrilled to be picked for the Jedi training at Disneyland *they pick from the crowd rather than sign ups like the World. Our first trip to Universal at 17, he was adamant about NOT being part of the show at Disaster. Anecdotal, I know.:shifty:

That last paragraph x100

Got to ride this yesterday and only because I was able to get a FP. Queue was well done and the ride was cute. Like the look of the new projection animatronics. The ride was more of a highlight show than any actual story. Not something I would look to ride again.

I liked it. More dead spaces than I would have expected but the animatronics were really nice and it'd be something I wouldn't mind doing each trip to Epcot. But seeing as the capacity sucks so waits will likely be high and I rather not use a top tier FastPass on it, I may never do it again. :lol:

This article from EasyWDW has a heavy analysis of Frozen and Soarin wait times and down time. It has charts with all the times broken down. The article is a good read. I am not familiar with this site but anyone that does this in depth an analysis deserves attention. Here are the conclusions:

• Average waits at the Frozen Ever After Ride remain in the 75-85 minute range for the most part with spikes due to downtime for a variety of technical and mechanical reasons. The ride averages about 95 minutes of downtime each day though it does stay up all day about 26% of the time.
  • Acquiring FastPass+ experiences for the ride remains incredibly difficult with the likelihood that there will be little availability 59 days out and virtually no availability 30 days out, though cancellations do happen up to a given date and during a given day. I was checking for FastPass+ availability today from 2pm to 2:15pm and Frozen came up as available for a party of two several times, as did Test Track, Soarin’, and IllumiNations. We ended up taking Test Track for 5:15pm, though the ride also showed immediately available at 2:15pm at one point. Refreshing on the day of is your friend and ally. Just not while I am also refreshing.
  • Riding Frozen at rope drop is typically easier now that Disney does not usually hold guests in Mexico.
  • If you’re visiting over two nights and don’t mind missing IllumiNations on at least one, consider getting in line about five minutes before Park close. Disney will let you ride regardless of the posted wait, which is almost always exaggerated to deter people from getting in line. The ride is rarely down at Park close these days – only three out of the last 50 days.
  • Royal Sommerhus waits are up significantly between 9:45am and 11:30am – avoid that time frame if possible as you could wait twice as long as if you got in line an hour later at 12:30pm.
  • Soarin’ waits continue their decline with the increase in capacity and new “Bend It Like Beckham” theme. The average wait at 9:45am is just 30 minutes, but it quickly approaches an hour after that. Riding at Park close is a slam dunk with actual waits typically under 15 minutes.

Frozen Ever After Fall 2016 Wait Times and Reliability Plus Royal Sommerhus Waits and a Soarin’ Update – easyWDW