Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 63.5%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2021
I’m a long time lurker who finally made an account. I’ve read about people mentioning that they’d like to see a thread about this so I made one as my first post on these forums. Do you want to see our River Adventure given the Hollywood treatment or stay Jurassic Park with Velocicoaster catering to the Jurassic World crowd? My opinion is that it should stay Jurassic Park to throw a bone to the classicist fans who’ve seen too many classics removed. At this point this and ET are the only two old school universal rides left on the property. If u look at the comments section on any universal Instagram post it seems like the bulk of fans want this ride to stay. If they give it a heavy refurb, I think uni can make a boatload of money if they heavily advertise the “new” Jurassic Park River Adventure and will attract lots of older fans who will bring their kids and start yearly vacation traditions. A lot of potential fans probably aren’t coming to the parks as much as they could be because they have no interest in Potter or Fast and Furious. That’s just my opinion though... Show me what you guys think in the poll:

I’m a long time lurker who finally made an account. I’ve read about people mentioning that they’d like to see a thread about this so I made one as my first post on these forums. Do you want to see our River Adventure given the Hollywood treatment or stay Jurassic Park with Velocicoaster catering to the Jurassic World crowd? My opinion is that it should stay Jurassic Park to throw a bone to the classicist fans who’ve seen too many classics removed. At this point this and ET are the only two old school universal rides left on the property. If u look at the comments section on any universal Instagram post it seems like the bulk of fans want this ride to stay. If they give it a heavy refurb, I think uni can make a boatload of money if they heavily advertise the “new” Jurassic Park River Adventure and will attract lots of older fans who will bring their kids and start yearly vacation traditions. A lot of potential fans probably aren’t coming to the parks as much as they could be because they have no interest in Potter or Fast and Furious. That’s just my opinion though... Show me what you guys think in the poll:

The only true classic ride is ET. Most of IOA, including JPRA, opened in 1999.

I'm still on team "best the both worlds". Bring in the modern look of JW but leave the ride mostly as is.

There's probably more money in keeping the JP branding, sell two shirts instead of one.

I don't care if they change the branding, but I'd prefer some upgrades to the existing scenes than cloning the JW version, which doesn't look all that impressive overall.

Outside of the branding change, I'd add more dino AA's in the Coves and fix the raptor AA's - especially the Raptor cage. Maybe add another T-Rex head at the "wall scratch" to up the scares and set up the big reveal.

Outside of the branding change, I'd add more dino AA's in the Coves and fix the raptor AA's - especially the Raptor cage. Maybe add another T-Rex head at the "wall scratch" to up the scares and set up the big reveal.
Those are some good ideas. I always thought it would be cool to move the dilos to that empty room right when you enter the building but before you climb the lift and add a raptor that breaks through a wall in their current spot to mimic the jump scare from the first movie

I think it's a fine line. I can't see the current animatronics getting replaced anytime soon unless there's some sort of conversion over to JW. That opening lagoon scene needs to stay, regardless. Definitely one of the most immersive scenes in an outdoor attraction.

If they do decide to keep it JP, they should do a heavy refurb and market it as the “new” JP to get a wave of older fans buying tickets. I thought it would be interesting if they threw a bone to the fans and used some of the props taken out of Hollywood to make the Orlando version into a mix of both JPs

I think it's a fine line. I can't see the current animatronics getting replaced anytime soon unless there's some sort of conversion over to JW. That opening lagoon scene needs to stay, regardless. Definitely one of the most immersive scenes in an outdoor attraction.
You are right, I don't see this getting much love in the next few years, with the hit to business and the new park it will take time, when it does more dino AAs and what @Brian G. said.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen anytime soon, but I think this ride desperately needs some work. I do not want the JW redo, but I wouldn't mind something different than what there is currently. The best things about the ride are the beginning and the end. The build-up to the iconic Jurassic doors opening with the theme music is so magical. Whether they change the doorway and colors to World or not, it doesn't matter because that opening is in both films. It is breathtaking to see the ultrasaurus in the lagoon, and, in my opinion, the removal of this scene is where the JW redo failed.

The problem begins when you are watching the movement of the animatronic and there is nothing else to see. The movement is so slow. There is not much more to expect with an animatronic outside but maybe this could be improved by moving the other animatronics further along the ride into this scene. Seeing multiple dinosaurs in the lagoon would amplify the magic. I would build more rocks to either side of the doors and place the stegosauri there on top of the rocks. Leave the ultrasaurus and add the hadrosaur coming out of the water in that large space behind the ultrasaur. Another option is instead of moving the stegosauri, add a triceratops and its youngling to the newly built rocks.

If the stegosauri are moved, then I would build the Isla Sorna aviary above the cave directly in front. The boat would be surrounded by cage and the stegosaurus and hadrosaur area would be enclosed. Maybe screens could be used to add more pteranodons. I would love an animatronic of a pteranodon above the boat standing on the cage surrounding the path trying to break the cage. Of course, it is unable to do so. I would rather have an aviary than the mosasaurus. (in my dreams, the mosasaurus would have been added to the Velocicoaster) In that space where the hadrosaurus jumps out, something here changes our course and we enter the next scene.

This whole next section of the ride needs to be changed. I think Jurassic Park will have enough velociraptor presence in the park. This probably will not be a popular opinion but I don't think we need raptors anymore in the River Adventure. I would like the new pathway to end up in a dark tool shed that happens to have TVs. The shed would be industrial and filled with pipes like we currently have after the lift. We are getting an announcement that multiple dinosaurs are out of containment. The darkness and the sounds are followed by an indominus rex or carnotaurus breaking into the shed. Then the rest of the current ride can stay the same minus the raptors or not. Add the ending of JW redo and that would be the best ride ever.

I know this is wishful thinking. Yet, I feel like this maybe would be a cheaper redo than Hollywood but what do I know...

Attachments

• JWE_Screenshot_Aviary_01_%281%29.jpg
    JWE_Screenshot_Aviary_01_%281%29.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Pteranodonimage.jpg
    Pteranodonimage.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
Nothing will happen anytime soon, but I think this ride desperately needs some work. I do not want the JW redo, but I wouldn't mind something different than what there is currently. The best things about the ride are the beginning and the end. The build-up to the iconic Jurassic doors opening with the theme music is so magical. Whether they change the doorway and colors to World or not, it doesn't matter because that opening is in both films. It is breathtaking to see the ultrasaurus in the lagoon, and, in my opinion, the removal of this scene is where the JW redo failed.

The problem begins when you are watching the movement of the animatronic and there is nothing else to see. The movement is so slow. There is not much more to expect with an animatronic outside but maybe this could be improved by moving the other animatronics further along the ride into this scene. Seeing multiple dinosaurs in the lagoon would amplify the magic. I would build more rocks to either side of the doors and place the stegosauri there on top of the rocks. Leave the ultrasaurus and add the hadrosaur coming out of the water in that large space behind the ultrasaur. Another option is instead of moving the stegosauri, add a triceratops and its youngling to the newly built rocks.

If the stegosauri are moved, then I would build the Isla Sorna aviary above the cave directly in front. The boat would be surrounded by cage and the stegosaurus and hadrosaur area would be enclosed. Maybe screens could be used to add more pteranodons. I would love an animatronic of a pteranodon above the boat standing on the cage surrounding the path trying to break the cage. Of course, it is unable to do so. I would rather have an aviary than the mosasaurus. (in my dreams, the mosasaurus would have been added to the Velocicoaster) In that space where the hadrosaurus jumps out, something here changes our course and we enter the next scene.

This whole next section of the ride needs to be changed. I think Jurassic Park will have enough velociraptor presence in the park. This probably will not be a popular opinion but I don't think we need raptors anymore in the River Adventure. I would like the new pathway to end up in a dark tool shed that happens to have TVs. The shed would be industrial and filled with pipes like we currently have after the lift. We are getting an announcement that multiple dinosaurs are out of containment. The darkness and the sounds are followed by an indominus rex or carnotaurus breaking into the shed. Then the rest of the current ride can stay the same minus the raptors or not. Add the ending of JW redo and that would be the best ride ever.

I know this is wishful thinking. Yet, I feel like this maybe would be a cheaper redo than Hollywood but what do I know...
My ideal overhaul would be to add a new ultrasaur animatronic that moves better and give that lagoon more movement with some other smaller dinosaurs or a juvenile ultrasaur like Hollywood had. The big thing that nobody ever mentions that Hollywood did better than Orlando was the music. While Hollywood had the JP score throughout, Orlando only has music at the first half of the Ultrasaur lagoon and directly after the drop. The rest is silent with only narration and dinosaur sounds. I’d add a new sound system to play appropriate tracks from the movie in each scene. I’d keep the herbivore section as is, with some major animatronic upgrades, and I’d put the compys here like they were in Hollywood, as it builds tension before something officially “goes wrong.” In the place of the current compys I’d put the dilo in the boat from Hollywood with the Mickey ears and all. Crate drop would stay, and the attacking dilos would be moved to the indoor portion directly at the bottom of the lift which is a bit of a dead spot. The raptors would be upgraded to be smoother, faster, and more film-accurate. I’d replace the claw scratch scene with the pounding door and trex growls that are in Japan, and I’ll put an entirely new scene where I moved the dilos from. When you round the corner, there will be a wall of wiring/mesh surrounded by pipes, and a brand new raptor animatronic that’s as high-tech as blue will lunge through the wires and snap at the guests. This will mimic the jump scare from the first movie. If the building can get the proper equipment and codes, I’d add a blast of fire from a pipe next to the raptor when this happens. The original finale would stay, but the speed and smoothness of rexy would be increased. I’d add the soundtrack and waterfall effect from Hollywood here, and give rexy a louder, film-accurate roar. Things would be the same post-drop, but I’d add the barbasol can from Hollywood as a reference. There might be too much fan service here, but this would be my idea of a good refurb

I voted for a consistent theme. If they’re branding Velicocoaster as JW, switch the rest of the land over. Not to mention Ultrasaurus Lagoon is in desperate need of an upgrade.

I've been one on the side of a consistently themed Jurassic World. They've shown excellence with it, thanks to the efforts they've been putting to Beijing and Hollywood. Seeing Orlando get a complete JW land with updated River Adventure and Velocicoaster and Camp Jurassic would be great.

The main thing I would miss if they ditched the JP logo and color scheme would be the Hammond pre show videos

I would like them to find and in story way to keep those, such as words from our now passed founder, but I would have to parse through all of them to see how much could be salvaged with that setup.

They could even say that he had intended to open a river ride before the problems arose at JP and they preserved his old footage. “Now that we have everything under control here at JW, we thought it would be fun to fulfill one of his wishes and to show guests what Hammond envisioned”

If I could spare no expense, I would utilize Jurassic world esthetic (no screen tank) and somehow convert the lift hill and predator cove into the old overgrown JP esthetic from the first JW movie. So we detour into the ruins, see the old raptors and Rex, but include them trying to fight the I-Rex. So similar to Hollywood, but instead of World’s Rex habitat focus on new/old place making. Old faded/JP logos, props, etc. Hell, throw in the banner. Best of both worlds.

If I could spare no expense, I would utilize Jurassic world esthetic (no screen tank) and somehow convert the lift hill and predator cove into the old overgrown JP esthetic from the first JW movie. So we detour into the ruins, see the old raptors and Rex, but include them trying to fight the I-Rex. So similar to Hollywood, but instead of World’s Rex habitat focus on new/old place making. Old faded/JP logos, props, etc. Hell, throw in the banner. Best of both worlds.

This is the best suggestion yet.

I prefer having the more classic and iconic Jurassic Park look in River Adventure, complimented by the coaster next door repping the sequel trilogy. I would not like to see World creep into JPRA. Just give the existing ride some much needed TLC and it'll be great.
It’s a smarter business decision if they do. Many 40 year olds or young people who like the feel of the older movies will be more inclined to buy a JP shirt than a JW shirt. These people make up a larger percent of park goers than people would think. If they only have JW, they’ll only sell merchandise that caters to one group, but if the keep some JP presence, they can capitalize off of the current freshness of Jurassic World while also capitalizing off of the lasting and iconic JP. They can double dip from both crowds if they keep it 50/50

Any word on if the Ultrasaur’s still out from that last refurb? If they’re throwing some money to improve this scene, we can probably assume that it’ll be staying even if it gets the JW treatment