Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 63.5%

• Total voters
This map confirms it for me. The R.A Show Building has the Rex and the Dilos but no Raptors. Why would they show these icons for a maintenance building? Because its the T. rex Kingdom. Also the old Raptor Paddock is missing, just an empty slate for something new. I think they will demolish the classic paddock and flesh out the Indominus enclosure, or better yet, float us through an Aviary. Don't think we will get the Mosa tank seeing the icon in the lagoon. Hope I'm wrong, I want it to stay JP just with some updates. But it appears inevitable with how amazing they have made this area in such short time.

I don’t think it confirms anything other than what we already thought. It’s gonna stay JP for now and they could potentially change it down the line. I could also say the fact that the names still say JP River adventure or JP discovery Center instead of just River Adventure on the map confirms that it’s staying JP. Any change they make they can modify the board.

Can confirm from our trip this week the raptor box was working! I swear when we were there in March the ultrasaur was a little smoother. He already seems to be getting back to step motions rather than smooth. Just my impression though, hard to know for sure.

Also, for the person who was talking about the lights being on inside, I have been really bothered lately by how horrible the 2nd raptor looks. I went back and watched some old POV’s and it seems during that part it used to be much darker and they did a strobe light during that part to make him look better so maybe he never looked they great and they hid it with the strobe.

If the coaster cost more to build than the overhaul in Hollywood, then perhaps the sheer amount of Velocicoaster merch being sold and the number of people coming into the park could fund the money they need for it. Why not strike the iron twice while it's still hot? A new movie is coming out next summer, so I can totally see them trying to replicate that kind of hype and simultaneously promote synergy with that film. Plus if the Crichton contract is ending after the film's release, a name change for the land would become legally necessary unless they paid more licensing fees to keep it.

Last edited:
If the coaster cost more to build than the overhaul in Hollywood, then perhaps the sheer amount of Velocicoaster merch being sold and the number of people coming into the park could fund the money they need for it. Why not strike the iron twice while it's still hot? A new movie is coming out next summer, so I can totally see them trying to replicate that kind of hype and simultaneously promote synergy with that film. Plus if the Crichton contract is ending after the film's release, a name change for the land would become legally necessary unless they paid more licensing fees to keep it.
Especially if they don't the COMPLETE overhaul like Hollywood, and keep the base ride mostly the same - just with some updates on scenic and new animatronics.

Long time lurker, first time poster. The success of Velocicoaster has really made me think about the eventual updates to the River Adventure. Personally, I feel the mosasaurus scene, as spectacular as it is, really ruins the intro. It lacks the grandeur of the original lagoon entrance. Also, geographically it doesn’t make sense, given we are suppose to be entering beneath the water of the dinosaur’s tank, to exit by a waterfall. Spatially it is very confusing and disjointed. Now if/when changes come to IOA, I hope they just don’t copy and paste what they did in Hollywood. I was looking at Google Earth (bored out my mind going through chemo lol) and noticed the IOA ride has track that continues past the Hadrosaur scene, to the backstage maintenance area. Here are my thoughts (keeping the intro lagoon scene intact- with improved animatronics)
1) What if instead of being derailed into the backstage area, as happens in the Orlando version, we continue on the maintenance track? We pass the hadrosaur and maybe further up stream, before turning, pass a triceratops drinking at the river’s edge?
2) As the boat turns left to the maintenance exit, we see a grand entrance to the Jurassic Aviary. Our boat enters and, like the Mosasaur scene in Hollywood, screens are used to project the inside of a giant Aviary filled with flying dinosaurs.
3) Midway through, the power suddenly goes off and the ride stops. One of the pterosaurs takes notice of the boat and approaches the “electric fence“. It pecks at it, and then grasps it with its talons. The power is out!
4) Backup power suddenly turns back on and you are told over intercom that the fences are down throughout the park and guests are being evacuated through a maintenance gait.
5) As the boat heads toward the maintenance exit, the pterosaur is still frantically trying to bite/peck through the fence. One last jump scare before exiting could be a giant animatronic/practical effect beak suddenly breaking through the cage, snapping at the boat as it enters Predator cove.

After that, I have no problem with Universal pretty much cloning what they did in Hollywood. Maybe take out the raptors since they are now well established. Sorry for the long rambling rant, and thanks for reading! Like I said, I have plenty of time to think..and imagine. Here are some satellite photos to demonstrate what I’m trying to describe.

Attachments

• 444CE201-7448-42BF-BCE3-1DA5771CC044.jpeg
    444CE201-7448-42BF-BCE3-1DA5771CC044.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 813142D6-B2DC-4168-AA2B-20987F71B53D.jpeg
    813142D6-B2DC-4168-AA2B-20987F71B53D.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster. The success of Velocicoaster has really made me think about the eventual updates to the River Adventure. Personally, I feel the mosasaurus scene, as spectacular as it is, really ruins the intro. It lacks the grandeur of the original lagoon entrance. Also, geographically it doesn’t make sense, given we are suppose to be entering beneath the water of the dinosaur’s tank, to exit by a waterfall. Spatially it is very confusing and disjointed. Now if/when changes come to IOA, I hope they just don’t copy and paste what they did in Hollywood. I was looking at Google Earth (bored out my mind going through chemo lol) and noticed the IOA ride has track that continues past the Hadrosaur scene, to the backstage maintenance area. Here are my thoughts (keeping the intro lagoon scene intact- with improved animatronics)
1) What if instead of being derailed into the backstage area, as happens in the Orlando version, we continue on the maintenance track? We pass the hadrosaur and maybe further up stream, before turning, pass a triceratops drinking at the river’s edge?
2) As the boat turns left to the maintenance exit, we see a grand entrance to the Jurassic Aviary. Our boat enters and, like the Mosasaur scene in Hollywood, screens are used to project the inside of a giant Aviary filled with flying dinosaurs.
3) Midway through, the power suddenly goes off and the ride stops. One of the pterosaurs takes notice of the boat and approaches the “electric fence“. It pecks at it, and then grasps it with its talons. The power is out!
4) Backup power suddenly turns back on and you are told over intercom that the fences are down throughout the park and guests are being evacuated through a maintenance gait.
5) As the boat heads toward the maintenance exit, the pterosaur is still frantically trying to bite/peck through the fence. One last jump scare before exiting could be a giant animatronic/practical effect beak suddenly breaking through the cage, snapping at the boat as it enters Predator cove.

After that, I have no problem with Universal pretty much cloning what they did in Hollywood. Maybe take out the raptors since they are now well established. Sorry for the long rambling rant, and thanks for reading! Like I said, I have plenty of time to think..and imagine. Here are some satellite photos to demonstrate what I’m trying to describe.
Very cool ideas

Thanks! I think it would be a great way to extend the ride experience, plus add a “screen scene” into the mix that would geographically make more sense. There appears to be enough space behind the show building to build a new maintenance area beyond the proposed “Aviary“, if they needed it.

That's actually perfect.

Ok so I visited IOA for the first time in a few years and walked through the JP/JW area seeing all of the land area that they had to dedicate to the Velocicoaster and just the sheer amount of the Jurassic World theming that goes with it.

After seeing everything, I kinda feel like it is inevitable that we're going to see the whole land get converted to Jurassic World. It feels very disjointed at the moment. I also think the easter egg of the mention of the River Adventure at the end of the Velocicoaster ride is more than just a passing comment

Wow.... Just wow. After seeing that footage of the Beijing JW ride, I'm now convinced they should just demo the River Adventure entirely for this instead of retheming it. The practical sets and animatronics are absolutely insane.

Also we're building a brand new park. Just stick it somewhere there. No need to demolish rides for no reason
True, but I still believe it should come to Orlando. I know some dislike the idea of another scoop vehicle ride showing up there, but I don't think the general public would care about that. I'm not as enthusiastic of just making a Berk version.

True, but I still believe it should come to Orlando. I know some dislike the idea of another scoop vehicle ride showing up there, but I don't think the general public would care about that. I'm not as enthusiastic of just making a Berk version.
The Beijing ride is everything I want from a Jurassic World attraction…I would be ecstatic if this ever came to Orlando.

I just watched the Bejing footage and I figured those finale animatronics were what the refurbished JW: The Ride/possible River Adventure redo wanted for the finale, but for whatever reason hasn't gotten. I almost wonder could you take some sort of omnimover/boat hybrid (I think there were patents for something that could maybe be fit to look like you're still in water, but can move the RV a bit more) and do some of that same stuff with some of the JW scenes, as well. It would make it feel even more different from the SCOOP/Evac system and keep the physicality of the drop. Probably $$$, though.