Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 63.5%

• Total voters
^ say no more:

Grab one of these, cover it in that retro green and yellow, modify it to fit a few more people and boom. We now have a Jurassic Park river ride and boat ride in one. Universal, you're welcome. :bow:

Maybe if they just had a fleet of these no one would get eaten every time they had to swap between being on land or water. Not sure if the dinos would survive on less free-range humans though. :lol:

I'm not entirely kidding, a hybrid system like that would be amazing. Blue sky for sure but demolishing and building something with an amphibious vehicle would be the best of both worlds and be really different.

It's straight to the tank but the vibe is different so you don't really think about it (the gate also consistently works in JWRA). It's really the best use of a screen tunnel I've seen with fun water gags. JWRA as a whole is such an improvement and you won't even feel mad about it if you got exactly what USH has (and this is coming from a huge fan of 90s JP aesthetics).

The original scene has a big impact going from a slightly small space to an open area whereas this is a reveal to the tank with very little space between. Without the tunnel it's almost a big reveal for a wall. Do you think it would be better if they removed the doors entirely or do they add to the scene?

I admit I'm judging this a bit as someone not having ridden it and I actually like the scene. I'd just prefer lose almost any other scene on the ride for it except the first one for Orlando's version.

The original scene has a big impact going from a slightly small space to an open area whereas this is a reveal to the tank with very little space between. Without the tunnel it's almost a big reveal for a wall. Do you think it would be better if they removed the doors entirely or do they add to the scene?

I admit I'm judging this a bit as someone not having ridden it and I actually like the scene. I'd just prefer lose almost any other scene on the ride for it except the first one for Orlando's version.

So the way it feels is you go up the lift hill like usual and you're greeted by an area that looks out of a science museum and not a jungle-like outdoors area as what exists currently in JPRA. You look to your left and you see these signs giving you a map of the tour and some facts about the mosasaurs. It feels very dinosaur exhibit and less dinosaur safari. The doors do add cause it lets you not spoil the whole scene (the water gags) and they're also cool lol. Overall, the feel of the ride is more dinosaur exhibit-y and less dinosaur safari if that makes sense. Like the restricted area isn't somewhere you go accidentally, its the exhibit for the I-rex and then the T-Rex's exhibit (which gets invaded by the I-rex and the other predators that show up). The drop is always supposed to be a part of the ride in the world of Isla Nublar unlike how its an escape path in JPRA.

So the way it feels is you go up the lift hill like usual and you're greeted by an area that looks out of a science museum and not a jungle-like outdoors area as what exists currently in JPRA. You look to your left and you see these signs giving you a map of the tour and some facts about the mosasaurs. It feels very dinosaur exhibit and less dinosaur safari. The doors do add cause it lets you not spoil the whole scene (the water gags) and they're also cool lol. Overall, the feel of the ride is more dinosaur exhibit-y and less dinosaur safari if that makes sense. Like the restricted area isn't somewhere you go accidentally, its the exhibit for the I-rex and then the T-Rex's exhibit (which gets invaded by the I-rex and the other predators that show up). The drop is always supposed to be a part of the ride in the world of Isla Nublar unlike how its an escape path in JPRA.
I've watched the POV so many times and somehow never picked up that it wasn't still an "everything goes wrong" experience. The destroyed I-Rex paddock led me to think that I guess lol

The Mosasaurus scene works great and makes sense in the context of what it's trying to do. I'd be so bold as to say those who complain about it...haven't been on Jurassic World.
I dislike the scene for its placement on the tour. The Mosasaurus Lagoon is with Main Street in the center of the park. I get that the Mosasaur is an icon among the JW franchise, but I'd rather a different marine animal like Plesiosaurus from the Holoscape seen in the Innovation Center and from the cut Plesiosaur Pond; which also had some ichthyosaurs, or no aquarium at all.

Any updates on the TRex? I was there a couple days ago and it was completely MIA still. This most recent visit put me on team JW. All the Dinos had cracked and broken skin, almost everything was barely moving (except the baby stego which was moving more than it did in 1999 oddly), and the raptors were static. This on top of no T-Rex made for quite the disappointment. JPRA used to be my favorite when it was working, but after riding VC and experiencing the vibrant and shiny JW mini-area, it was obvious that the river ride needs some new life desperately. On a side note there looked to be some construction around the baby stego. All the plants were removed and the supports for its feet were almost visible. There was also a camo-draped box next to it that I hadn’t noticed before. It was moving more than I’d seen it in years, so they may have just been doing some maintenance. Anyone else ride recently?

Any updates on the TRex? I was there a couple days ago and it was completely MIA still. This most recent visit put me on team JW. All the Dinos had cracked and broken skin, almost everything was barely moving (except the baby stego which was moving more than it did in 1999 oddly), and the raptors were static. This on top of no T-Rex made for quite the disappointment. JPRA used to be my favorite when it was working, but after riding VC and experiencing the vibrant and shiny JW mini-area, it was obvious that the river ride needs some new life desperately. On a side note there looked to be some construction around the baby stego. All the plants were removed and the supports for its feet were almost visible. There was also a camo-draped box next to it that I hadn’t noticed before. It was moving more than I’d seen it in years, so they may have just been doing some maintenance. Anyone else ride recently?

It would be a fairly easy way to minimize any pre-Epic Osborne effect. Please keep the opening lagoon, though!

All for the JW refurb, this is in my top three rides at IOA but realistically nostalgia is why its high up, but if Universal decides to make the switch Its hard to see it coming soon. Id say lost continent and possibly toon lagoon needs some love before anything happens at JP. Even CITH needs help before going after a major update to a land. Those areas won't be touched until EU is done.

All for the JW refurb, this is in my top three rides at IOA but realistically nostalgia is why its high up, but if Universal decides to make the switch Its hard to see it coming soon. Id say lost continent and possibly toon lagoon needs some love before anything happens at JP. Even CITH needs help before going after a major update to a land. Those areas won't be touched until EU is done.
That’s what would make the most sense, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Universal pushes Jurassic to the front of the line to ride off of Dominion’s success. What’ll be the determinant is how well Dominion performs.

I voted keep it JP when this poll was originally posted, but if my rides last week are any indication of how they plan to maintain this ride, I may be in favor of a Jurassic World overhaul... This thing is in ROUGH shape.

Rode twice. The Ultrasaur at the beginning (which I already think is a weak effect since you see it stationary when the doors open, the neck looks broken, and you see it go back to its stationary position just after barely passing it) only moved on one of those rides. The other dinosaurs outside were mostly fine, Hadrosaurs looked a little bad, the skins on them are not in good shape. Raptor box was stationary and raptors didn't move forward on the lift.

The drop will always be fun, but still a shame to see this ride in the state that it's in, one of my favorites but it's in desperate need of attention.

I voted keep it JP when this poll was originally posted, but if my rides last week are any indication of how they plan to maintain this ride, I may be in favor of a Jurassic World overhaul... This thing is in ROUGH shape.

Rode twice. The Ultrasaur at the beginning (which I already think is a weak effect since you see it stationary when the doors open, the neck looks broken, and you see it go back to its stationary position just after barely passing it) only moved on one of those rides. The other dinosaurs outside were mostly fine, Hadrosaurs looked a little bad, the skins on them are not in good shape. Raptor box was stationary and raptors didn't move forward on the lift.

The drop will always be fun, but still a shame to see this ride in the state that it's in, one of my favorites but it's in desperate need of attention.
This makes me think that universal might be planning something. We’ve all seen bad maintenance (splash mountain), but this is starting to look like the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge… lol. It’s almost like they’re knowingly letting it rot because they’re planning on major changes in the near future (like horizons). If they were planning on keeping it around they’d at least be putting SOME effort into it. If you ask me they should just close it if they don’t want it or start putting in at least minimal maintenance effort. Keeping it like this doesn’t reflect well on universal, especially after seeing what they can do when they’re willing to roll their sleeves up

This makes me think that universal might be planning something. We’ve all seen bad maintenance (splash mountain), but this is starting to look like the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge… lol. It’s almost like they’re knowingly letting it rot because they’re planning on major changes in the near future (like horizons). If they were planning on keeping it around they’d at least be putting SOME effort into it. If you ask me they should just close it if they don’t want it or start putting in at least minimal maintenance effort. Keeping it like this doesn’t reflect well on universal, especially after seeing what they can do when they’re willing to roll their sleeves up

I don't know. Dudley and Popeye are faring just as badly (if not worse), and they don't appear to be going anywhere.

Popeye doesn't need animatronics - its fine as it is. Dudley has always been weak in theming/storytelling (outside of the facade), but makes up for it in the drops. River Adventure needs its animatronics.
They should just remove them on Popeye then, some of them were noticeably missing limbs last time I was there in March.

Universal has us right where they want us. Turning on Jurassic Park in favor of Jurassic World, and given the responses on this page of I use to support keeping JP over JW but now my opinion has changed proves that. This is something I've noticed happens at theme parks over the last decade. If a company wants to replace a ride but is afraid of facing backlash they completely abandon the ride until we all give up on it and turn. Ill admit, the last time I rode JP (Oct 21') I said to myself this ride is in bad shape and the animatronics are rough. However, JP at its best blows away the JW version that is in Hollywood in my opinion. Sooooo hopefully Universal does have plans in the future to invest some time and money into keeping Jurassic Park in IOA

Popeye doesn't need animatronics - its fine as it is.
Popeye absolutely needs its animatronics. When half of the vignettes aren't working/there, it feels generic and lifeless (outside of the themed rockwork); not a good look for a theme park.
Dudley has always been weak in theming/storytelling (outside of the facade), but makes up for it in the drops.
I beg to differ, but that's a whole other argument for the Toon Lagoon thread. Kinda funny how it has the best upkeep of the water rides atm though.
River Adventure needs its animatronics.
Agreed. Seeing JPRA in this condition is extremely sad.

Frankly, if Universal were to go all in on JW, I'd prefer the chaotic option of removing JPRA, as well as Thunder Falls Terrace and Pteranodon Flyers, and building a proper "main street" for Jurassic World with a clone of JPA and a Gyrosphere omnimover, as Islands could definitely use more indoor and kid-friendly rides.

Universal has us right where they want us. Turning on Jurassic Park in favor of Jurassic World, and given the responses on this page of I use to support keeping JP over JW but now my opinion has changed proves that. This is something I've noticed happens at theme parks over the last decade. If a company wants to replace a ride but is afraid of facing backlash they completely abandon the ride until we all give up on it and turn. Ill admit, the last time I rode JP (Oct 21') I said to myself this ride is in bad shape and the animatronics are rough. However, JP at its best blows away the JW version that is in Hollywood in my opinion. Sooooo hopefully Universal does have plans in the future to invest some time and money into keeping Jurassic Park in IOA

It's our fault, I completely agree.

I wouldn't say they have given up on JPRA as it goes down for lengthy and expensive refurbs every year

However, JPRA will always have AAs that were built in another time period, and it will be forever locked in a previous time period technologically

It hits me the same as Spiderman 1.0. Universal did their best to keep it running, but there's only so much you can push old film projection

JWRA, for all its fan maligning, includes AAs that I'm sure are built better, more robust, and with tech that has come a long way sense.

I'm for the change over because, really, minus the name, it's basically the same ride

If they decided to retheme the land to Kung Fu Panda or something, then I would have some serious concerns