Future WDW Additions/Expansion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Future WDW Additions/Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The more ive actually caught up on this, it sounds to me like - especially because this was at an investor meeting at WDW that the $60B was pitch (with slides showing that higher investment leads to higher returns), it seems to me that this broke ass company really does want to spend on the parks, but without the approval from Wall Street they essentially can’t.

Like, you have to be pretty dead set on at least some future plans if you’re gonna invite these mega investment firms (such as black rock) to the Florida swamps to pitch to them that you want to spend $60B on the park. What they currently don’t have that they need is financial backing.
Nick this feels correct.

$60B over 10 years isn’t really that much, especially given inflation (actual, not the WDI kind).

For statements like that they’re going to try to scrap up as large of a number as possible, so that’s probably every penny of capital that will be spent over the decade at every park, resort, and cruise ship - both new build and refurbishment/replacement.

The more ive actually caught up on this, it sounds to me like - especially because this was at an investor meeting at WDW that the $60B was pitch (with slides showing that higher investment leads to higher returns), it seems to me that this broke ass company really does want to spend on the parks, but without the approval from Wall Street they essentially can’t.

Like, you have to be pretty dead set on at least some future plans if you’re gonna invite these mega investment firms (such as black rock) to the Florida swamps to pitch to them that you want to spend $60B on the park. What they currently don’t have that they need is financial backing.
This feels about right - except I’d say instead of not having backing now, it’s probably more of a “this is why you should keep our interest rates low when we reissue our debt.”

Last edited:
Please no 5th WDW gate, that would be such an immensely terrible logistical move. WDW is already so built out and can barely support the 4 parks that exist. It was 10 years between New Fantasyland and Tron, It's been 6 years since Pandora, it's been 4 years since Galaxy's Edge opened yet Star Tours and Launch Bay are still open taking up space that could be used for other major properties. The late 2010's investment has been really wonderful, but it can't afford to slow down. Capacity is still not where it needs to be to keep the modern crowds contained imo.

WDW won't get a 5th gate. Each park will get an "expansion". DAK Dinoland redo up first. Either Epcot (???) or MK: Beyond Thunder next, followed by the other. With DHS Star Tours/Indy replacement last because they have to open Indy at DAK before they shutter Indy at DHS.

We kind of know what is coming to DAK, Encanto/Indy. The MK: Beyond Thunder will be the only actual expansion. I'm curious to see what Epcot gets. And I bet DHS gets Zootopia from Shanghai.

Last edited:
WDW won't get a 5th gate. Each park will get an "expansion". DAK Dinoland redo up first. Either Epcot (???) or MK: Beyond Thunder next, followed by the other. With DHS Star Tours/Indy replacement last because they have to open Indy at DAK before they shutter Indy at DHS.

We kind of know what is coming to DAK, Encanto/Indy. The MK: Beyond Thunder will be the only actual expansion. I'm curious to see what Epcot gets. And I bet DHS gets Zootopia from Shanghai.
DHS would be last also simply because Zootopia is no doubt under a 5-year exclusivity for the resort (if that’s what comes to DHS).

I could see a version of a Zootopia land coming to DHS, but not Shanghai's attraction. It looks to be similar to RotR, and DHS is already having notable technical issues with the two trackless rides it has currently.

Reactions: belloq87
I could see a version of a Zootopia land coming to DHS, but not Shanghai's attraction. It looks to be similar to RotR, and DHS is already having notable technical issues with the two trackless rides it has currently.
Yeah that's true. Three trackless rides in one park might be a bit overkill, although we've yet to see exactly what Zootopia looks like. However, I imagine it's similar to at least one of MMRR or RotR.

I want to agree, but I'm afraid they'll do something stupid and build a fifth half-ass park rather than fixing the existing ones.

I don’t doubt Disney wouldn’t shoehorn a 5th park. If the expansions are successful and rake in $$$, they’ll keep going.

I think they will eventually, but right now they can barely staff four parks. When you add a whole park you add A LOT more staffing versus adding to an existing park and just having to add staffing for the new additions.

Reactions: Mad Dog
While this investment of 60 Billion is all bark, no bite until Josh stops doing "what if" sessions at expos and commits to concrete plans, I think a bulk of that dough will go to DLR for Disneyland Forward. I bet Disney sees a lot of potential to turn DLR into a multi day (at least more than 2) destination with expanding DL and DCA across the street and maybe even a third park in the Toy Story lot. Think of this as Disney copying the model UOR is doing with EU. For WDW I think the investment will be more spent for things like Encanto and Indy at AK, Beyond Big Thunder at MK, and some sort of new land at DHS.

• Love
Reactions: OrlLover
Ok I have wondered (and not trying to defer blame) is this mainly on Josh, or could Josh potentially be pushing these ideas as hard as he can and it is Iger who is non committal and sends them back to the drawing board? Obviously we will not know, but I see Josh get all the hate (he is the face of the parks, I get it) but blame could also be elsewhere.

What I want is some plans that are out of the blue sky concept stage. Florida as a whole saw tourism drop so unfortunately the parks are feeling the effects of it. If Bob was smart he would already be approving plans to draw people back in.

They already announced earlier this year to spend $17 billion at WDW alone so now this latest news it’s just upping the investment.

As far as what they can do is… MK definitely needs thats Beyond Big Thunder expansion. That’s a start and maybe go ahead and restart those shelved Epcot projects like the Spaceship Earth re-do and Mary Poppins and add another ride or two to the world showcase.

Give AK two huge lands that actually expand the park and not replace capacity. I don’t how they would expand HS so maybe update all the attractions currently at the park.

Reactions: Jamesh22
It is my firm belief that WDW should get new rides. Then, the best of these rides should make their way over to Disneyland in a less comprised way, preferably in a manner that is funny to me and infuriating to WDW fans.

Reactions: Michael S
I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again: Please do something with the Stitch space at Magic Kingdom.
I want something to be done desperately, but as I’ve said on this many times, I think putting any attraction there will require the entire building to undergo a full renovation of the building which would include the Auntie Gravity, restrooms, the gift shop next to Cosmic Ray, and Cosmic Rays itself.

The whole building is connected and to put any new attraction in there that doesn’t use that theater setup and maybe has a slightly bigger footprint, you have to take it all offline and they probably don’t want to deal with that hassle which is why they are talking beyond Big Thunder.