Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2013 Official

I wonder if operations played a part in this, because this year's event seems like an usual regression.

They might as well have made a bullet point "NEW FAMILY FUN ACTIVITY: Count the Green Ornaments around the park, and the Grinch will high five you if you guess the correct number!"

Meanwhile at the Disneyland Resort, we have THREE Holiday ride overlays, a brand new Holiday version of World of Color, lands in both parks decorated to the brim, and other RETURNING numerous classic holiday offerings.

Yeah USH, I'm let down. And yes, I compared you to DLR. Cuz I know damn well that you can up the stakes with what you do for the holidays if you showed some effort. Regardless what's going on behind the scenes, the lack of quality offerings this year is unacceptable IMO.

ESPECIALLY this year, when our attraction count is so low, especially in the family-friendly department. Pitiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang Allen, I forgot how much Disney stepped it up this year with holiday offerings. (and the oft-rumored "Xmas party exclusives" crap still hasn't come to fruition yet either)

I bet GR is going to be SLAMMED this winter with complaints. No snow and no show is not gonna want to make people go, but to the people who do go, they won't be going "ho ho ho", oh no... they'll be at the desk going "no, no, NO!" (sorry)

Looks like they're trying to improve things by making "Grinchmas" come earlier and... okay I'm sorry but without the special stuff then what's the difference on the non-days?! Some holiday Whos don't come out? 

I know there's construction going on but I have to say it seems like 2013 is shaping up to be a disastrous year for the park, which is a shame since 2012 was so freaking stellar. 2014 is coming along for the save, I'm sure of it.

It's unacceptable and disappointing. No other way to put it.

You brought up a great point, Brover. There's going to be almost no special reason or incentive to visit on the Grinchmas days over the standard days, unless you HAVE to meet the Grinch and HAVE to see the 2 minute Grinchmas backlot show...

Also no special incentive to visit USH over Disneyland and California Adventure. Seriously...this year Disney has:

Haunted Mansion Holiday

It's a Small World Holiday

New IASW Holiday projection show

Jingle Cruise (new overlay!)

World of Color: Winter Dreams (all new show!)

New FROZEN meet & greet in Fantasyland (with Olaf animatronic!)

Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks

Christmas Fantasy Parade

Cars Land Holiday decorations

Bugs Land Holiday decorations

Buena Vista Street Decorations

Christmas Carolers

Paradise Pier decorations

Main Street decorations

Snow capped Sleeping Beauty Castle

New Orleans Square Decorations

(Ok, every land has decorations)

Unique holiday treats

I can go on.....

USH has:

Grinchmas tree

Backlot Whoville mini show

Grinch meet & greet

Some Park decorations

Not the best ending to a year, is it? ("Homophobic" Bill&Ted scandal and cancellation, numerous attraction closures on the tour and in the park throughout the year, and uber truncated Grinchmas...). After everything great Comcast and Universal have accomplished recently, I'd think that they'd want to start making each event bigger and better than the previous and to keep USH in the public eye, especially with how much better DLR keeps getting.

2014 better bring a healthy punch back into USH! I have hope...

Yeah USH, I'm let down. And yes, I compared you to DLR. Cuz I know damn well that you can up the stakes with what you do for the holidays if you showed some effort. Regardless what's going on behind the scenes, the lack of quality offerings this year is unacceptable IMO.
This year's mediocre offerings aside, it's a year of transition. They're literally fixing 20 years worth of cruft that's built up around the park's aging infrastructure.

I feel sorry for those paying full-price, but that's always been the case for 2013.

After everything great Comcast and Universal have accomplished recently, I'd think that they'd want to start making each event bigger and better than the previous and to keep USH in the public eye, especially with how much better DLR keeps getting.
It's still the same management behind-the-scenes.

Edit: They can make it up if they can play Arnold Schwarzenegger's all-time smash hit, Jingle All the Way at Universal Plaza:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zyEr8YX1cnY?feature=oembed

This year's mediocre offerings aside, it's a year of transition. They're literally fixing 20 years worth of cruft that's built up around the park's aging infrastructure.

I feel sorry for those paying full-price, but that's always been the case for 2013.

It's still the same management behind-the-scenes.

Edit: They can make it up if they can play Arnold Schwarzenegger's all-time smash hit, Jingle All the Way at Universal Plaza:
Being in construction mode and fixing issues with the park isn't an excuse to not have a proper Grinchmas IMO. It's an even better reason to have a BETTER event! HHN had a great well rounded year (for the most part) despite construction, so Grinchmas shouldn't be so cut back...

Being in construction mode and fixing issues with the park isn't an excuse to not have a proper Grinchmas IMO. It's an even better reason to have a BETTER event! HHN had a great well rounded year (for the most part) despite construction, so Grinchmas shouldn't be so cut back...
This years HHN was not that well rounded maybe they had great mazes but the overall event was lacking so much.

This years HHN was not that well rounded maybe they had great mazes but the overall event was lacking so much.
I agree. This year definitely felt constrained.

My honest guess is that Halloween Horror Nights has much more to work with - simply because of the nature of how mazes are built. I'm sure the metropolitan sets are rarely used that late into the night which affords the Horror Nights crew the opportunity to take them over during the event. Meanwhile, you can only truly hold Grinchmas in a handful of locations - one of which is already under construction.

I'm not sure what's preventing them from using Plaza to its fullest potential, but I have a feeling that - again - budget isn't the only factor playing into this decision.

Jon, I thought it over in the last day or so and then came to the realization that Universal is most likely thinking about crowd control. And unfortunately, both snow and the ceremony will suffocate the area. So the least they can do at the current moment is just a meet-and-greet and the tree.

The really sad thing is, if this is the case, expect a similar Grinchmas for both 2014 and 2015. And who knows what Potter will do to the event.

I contacted Universal the other day, and I got an answer regarding the cutbacks of Grinchmas 2013 , sad :(

"... Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Hollywood. 

All comments and concerns we receive are shared with management. The holiday decorations and the Grinchmas Tram show will be in effect this holiday season. Unfortunately, several aspects of our Grinchmas celebration we were not able to be accommodated this year due to the exciting new additions to our theme park. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Upon completion of their review, a member of management will be following up with you directly. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. ... "

Jon, I thought it over in the last day or so and then came to the realization that Universal is most likely thinking about crowd control. And unfortunately, both snow and the ceremony will suffocate the area. So the least they can do at the current moment is just a meet-and-greet and the tree.

The really sad thing is, if this is the case, expect a similar Grinchmas for both 2014 and 2015. And who knows what Potter will do to the event.

Hopefully this doesn't start a bad precedent. Perhaps this is being caused by a design compromise from Plaza itself.

I contacted Universal the other day, and I got an answer regarding the cutbacks of Grinchmas 2013 , sad :(

"... Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Hollywood. 

All comments and concerns we receive are shared with management. The holiday decorations and the Grinchmas Tram show will be in effect this holiday season. Unfortunately, several aspects of our Grinchmas celebration we were not able to be accommodated this year due to the exciting new additions to our theme park. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Upon completion of their review, a member of management will be following up with you directly. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. ... "
Well, that's a shame.

I really can't be all that upset at the park since they are building the biggest and most anticipated theme park addition on the west coast since CarsLand.
 I don't even think Cars Land was all that anticipated, it was after its opening fans were like "whoa this is amazing". I would even dare to say that WWoHP Hollywood is the most anticipated theme park addition since WWoHP Orlando.