Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2013 Official

All day yesterday 93.5 kday radio was promoting Grinchmas and giving away tickets saying that there will be a winter playground with REAL snow. HMM last years promo or will USH be bringing the snow back for December? anyone hear anything?

Last year, when they stopped Grinchmas on Dec 31 park attendance dropped off the first week of Jan (2013). So today I went with some out of town friends thinking the park wouldn't be too busy.

GreatScott! Now that USH has extended Grinchmas the park is crowded! I always thought it was a bad idea to drop everything after NYE.

Apparently today wasn't too busy.

I've always found it odd how Universal resumes normal operating hours on New Year's Day. I wonder what their reasoning is.

Sunday wasn't crazy busy but it was busy.

I often get the feeling they make decisions based on how much things cost rather than what the end result will be. People in an office looking at numbers and not people who understand tourism. No snowzone this year; a little cheaper but it hurts the "tradition" they have been setting up. I overheard SO many complaining about it. This year Universal took a chance and extended Ghrinchmas and from what I can tell is was a huge success.

Apparently today wasn't too busy.

I've always found it odd how Universal resumes normal operating hours on New Year's Day. I wonder what their reasoning is.
This was the first year where USH did not return to normal operating hours on New Years Day.  I am glad they finally figured that out after a decade of late arrival guests into the park on Jan 1.

Although the park returns to 9am-6pm this week, we go to the dreaded 10am-5pm next week.  Ouch!  This park is going to be boring!  Time fore some great photos with no people in the shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having visited USH on 4 separate days during the recently completed Grinchmas season and having read Adriana's wrap-up article, here are a few of my own thoughts.

• I really enjoyed both the setup and activities in the Universal Plaza. I thought the setup of the area made the character interactions better. The various Whos felt like they belonged here. While in previous years, seeing Whos in the snow zone area felt "forced" to me. Maybe that was just me?
  • I especially enjoyed the Story Time with Cindy Lou show and the Who-liday Singers (acapella boy band).
  • While I understand the appeal of the snow zone to many people, I personally wasn't a fan and didn't miss it at all.
  • I did miss the full Tree Lighting show. To me, that was a big part of Grinchmas and I hope it comes back. I did appreciate the attempt of the scaled down Tree Lighting ceremony. In fact, it's even a bit more than what Disneyland does when they light up their Christmas Tree on Main Street.
  • Having just one meet-and-greet location for The Grinch caused for extremely long waits anytime after late morning. In previous years, there were usually two locations. I understand that the setup in the Universal Plaza dictated that a Grinch meet-and-greet had to be there--which limited the ability to have a second location on the upper lot. But having two meet-and-greet locations would certainly let more people enjoy that interaction. With continuing construction on the Upper Lot, I wonder if there's an opportunity to bring some of Grinchmas to the Lower Lot.
  • Whoville show/tram tour: I've always been big fan of this and it didn't disappoint. It's pretty much the same show from previous years, with a few tweaks to the choreography. But I certainly made a point to see it. And I usually would ride the tram twice during my visits. :)
Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts. I've always enjoyed Grinchmas at USH and can't wait to see how it evolves with all of the park's changes.

^ What does Disneyland do for their tree lighting? Do they have one?

Perhaps it's me. but I've never been particularly impressed by their Christmas trees. Their holiday offerings are pretty spectacular, but their tree has always been very plain.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. But considering all the other amazing holiday offerings Disneyland has, I think it's a fair tradeoff lol.
Yes, I agree that's a pretty fair trade-off. :)

I understand there's a little more of a show for the tree lighting on DCA's Buena Vista St. I haven't seen it personally, but there are videos on YouTube of course. It looks to be about the same scale as the mini Tree Lighting in the Universal Plaza with some characters and carolers.

Just saw a few videos of California Adventure and it definitely reminds me of Universal.

But looking back at Grinchmas 2013, what does everyone expect for next year's event? A full-fledged show? The return of snow?

Just saw a few videos of California Adventure and it definitely reminds me of Universal.

But looking back at Grinchmas 2013, what does everyone expect for next year's event? A full-fledged show? The return of snow?
One has to wonder if HHN 2013 was the test to see if they could pull off seasonal offerings in the backlot.

To me it looked like it was a HUGE success, so I could see a return of the Tree Lighting show, but in the backlot. This also frees up Universal Plaza for the return of snow or something completely different.

I think we will see the backlot used more and more as the park grows.

^ That's an interesting take. I wonder what Universal took out of that event.

It was definitely a success attendance wise, but the operations felt a bit constrained during the first few weeks. I'm not sure if they managed to correct the navigational mess as the event went on, but it does make you wonder if they're willing to put on a similar show for Grinchmas.

That's assuming they're willing to overcome the complications associated with daytime shooting.

One has to wonder if HHN 2013 was the test to see if they could pull off seasonal offerings in the backlot.

To me it looked like it was a HUGE success, so I could see a return of the Tree Lighting show, but in the backlot. This also frees up Universal Plaza for the return of snow or something completely different.

I think we will see the backlot used more and more as the park grows.
Jon kinda hints at this, but yeah that'll never happen, mostly due to backlot shooting. Plus, HHN brought people to specific mazes and had them waiting at about 7 at night, while Grinchmas would be hard to handle since you're bringing in a full AUDIENCE. It's a good thought, but I guarantee that's not what's at play here.

What I don't understand at all is why they can't just separate the tree lighting and the show, and just bite the bullet and put a Grinch show in the Castle Theater akin to the one they do at USF. Present SES in the morning and early afternoon, then do Grinch in the late afternoon and evenings. I think that would work perfectly, especially since it has the ability to soak in most of the same crowds twice with two different shows.

Personally I would have liked to see a tree lighting inside Animal Actors. The show only ever grabs maybe a 5th of the entire park attendance for any given day. Close the show in beginning of November and reopen at the end. U could do about 4 or 5 shows a nigh. Duplicate Grinchmas Tree for Plaza and AA(slightly smaller to fit Venue). They Could even house different Grinchmas themed show during the day.