Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Reviews, Media, & Spoilers | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Reviews, Media, & Spoilers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I truly do not think (the motion sickness I felt) had anything to do w/ screens/sync or spinning.

I am getting older, so it is hard for me to say one way or another. I really feel one needs to look in the direction that the train is running if they start feeling woozy (not forward to where they are sitting). I just think my inner ear does not like ridding sideways or something.

Anyway, CR is the only coaster I have ever had this happen to me (sometimes the backwards part of Everest gets me a slight bit queasy, but that last me about 3 seconds). For CR, 95% of the ride was rather uncomfortable for me.

Reactions: shiekra38
Anecdotally, we had a big group head out to Epcot for birthday shenanigans. There were 12 of us with varying amount of time in parks and on rides and several that are generally hit by motion sickness pretty hard.

Not 1 person felt even the slightest bit sick getting off that ride. I don't doubt that people are getting sick, but I personally feel like its getting a lot more attention than what the numbers actually are.

Anecdotally my brother is visiting the parks for the first time in 15-20 years and got off GoTG and his response “SO MUCH F…..G FUN HOLY MOLY” and “what an awesome concept and awesome ride.” He didn’t know much of anything going into it so he had no preconceived bias. Just thought I would share.

Just got back from my trip, I was able to ride this three times thanks to a combo of I.L.L. and boarding group for one day and getting another I.L.L. for the second half of another day.

To get the elephant out of the room first, I'm not one to get motion sick. Really the only time I did was when I tried playing Mario Kart on DS during a car ride. But for me, I can handle all sorts of coasters and spinning rides with no problem. For my first ride on Cosmic Rewind, I actually got a tinge of motion sickness. I think it might have been a combo of a near empty stomach and my eyes/head trying to follow some of the projections on the ride. So that had me a little nervous, but then I went on the orange version of Misson: Space right afterwards and felt just fine. (And I don't get sick on that ride, and I've done everything they tell you NOT to do.) But then on my next two rides with a fuller stomach and not trying to follow the projections, I had no issues whatsoever.

With the whole experience, I think it makes a great case that the term "Story Coaster" should be slapped out of the vocabulary for ride designers. There's really not much of a story here, and it sure isn't told during the coaster itself. There are some ideas here and there, like with the whole "Wonders of Xandar" pavilion, but I agree with @Joe that if you wanted to push that edutainment angle, showing how various real-life things are similar with those on Xandar would've worked perfectly for that.

As for that teleporter, that was a lot of build up for something that was nowhere near as impressive as the Transporter effect from the defunct Star Trek experience. Though I do find it funny that since there's nothing to keep everyone looking forward, most folks are facing backwards for the effect, so it ends up having no impact with the reveal.

That said, I do like the addition of Terry Crews, he does bring in some great humor. And with the coaster itself, it's really fun! It does pull off some fun maneuvers throughout the ride, and it can also pull off some really cool lighting effects such as the re-entry at the end. That said, the projections could be a tad nicer, and I do agree with @Brian G. that I'm not fond of how you can pretty much see the building in the launch area.

Song-wise, I only got two. I got Conga twice, which I didn't mind since that's a good high energy song for the ride which works quite well. The other song I got was I Ran (So Far Away) and I downright LOVED that one for the ride. Watching vids of the other songs, I think I did end up getting some of the better ones. Though I will say I would've liked to have experienced Everyone Wants to Rule the World since that song is uniquely mellow compared to all the others.

Another thing to mention is I appreciate the rides has extra dialogue moments in case of a slowdown etc at both the lift hill and the launch area, I ended up getting it my first ride at the launch area, and it gives a nice 4th wall joke. Plus it made for a better surprise when the ride did launch!

All in all, it is a really fun coaster, but as a Guardians ride, personally I would put this under Mission: Breakout! at DCA which I feel is a more solid experience overall.

I went on the ride three times during my trip last week, and I enjoyed it a lot! It has great re-rideability and got better every time. I would've like a bit more speed (the launch doesn't feel forceful at all), but the spinning makes up for that. The back row is especially a blast and makes the coaster disorienting when you can't see the track ahead for most of the ride. I Ran, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and September were my three songs, all of which were excellent fits in different ways. The queue and pre shows are fun too. It's a slam dunk for a park with a fading identity that needs more E-ticket attractions.

Reactions: shiekra38 and Freak