Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Reviews, Media, & Spoilers | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Reviews, Media, & Spoilers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm actually convinced that Disney doesn't know how to make a "more intense" ride without making you sick
and two of the worst are now right next to each other in Epcot. They should put a 'Barf Bag' kiosk between the two attractions, Orange & Guardians :lol: ....Ironically, Disneys' demographic is probably significantly
more susceptible to, and fearful of, motion sickness than the demographics of other theme and amusement parks. The good news is that the ride will probably not have future long lines once the word gets around
to the more timid Disney guests. That, plus it's high capacity, should make this a nice addition to the park. High thrills and reasonable lines are a good thing.

The saga continues:

trashcan.jpg

How long before they whip out these babies? They've got handles for maximum stability. :lol:

It's probably unpleasant working the ride nearby all day if it's frequent. Is it likely Disney would make changes to the profile at all like Universal did with FJ? I don't think they'd disable the spinning entirely but maybe slow it down or make it less extreme at certain portions of the track?

• Haha
Reactions: shiekra38
I thought people were exaggerating but wow I understand now. First two rides were in the first two cars and not a single moment that I would consider nauseating - rode last row last night, and felt just a tad nauseous for a few elements. I don't get nauseous on Velocicoaster, Dinosaur, etc.

There's no true spinning so not exactly sure why I felt that way.

Reactions: shiekra38
It's fascinating how hard this is hitting some people. I feel like I have pretty bad motion sickness and I've felt perfectly fine after all four of my ridethroughs so far. I get sick on most car rides, a good chunk of coasters, etc yet nothing here. Same goes for my girlfriend. I'm wondering if how much people focus on the screens is playing a role here since it definitely requires you to crane your neck a bit at certain points to catch it all. I tend to ignore the projections once the coaster really starts up so maybe that helps? I'm vaguely paranoid every ride now that I'll finally get hit with motion sickness with how much of a thing it's become :lol:

Is it likely Disney would make changes to the profile at all like Universal did with FJ? I don't think they'd disable the spinning entirely but maybe slow it down or make it less extreme at certain portions of the track?

Maybe, but I don’t think it would help. It’s not the speed or degrees of rotation I don’t think, just the imbalance in your brain between where you’re going and where you’re facing (which is caused by the rotating but amplified by the dark). The ride basically takes all of the advice you’ve ever gotten about fixing motion sickness (stare straight ahead, focus on one landmark, etc.) and completely craps all over it :lol:

I for one hope they keep it as is because part of the thrill is getting a little bit of butterflies from being thrown off balance (especially the moon part). Granted I’m a little younger and don’t have any experience with motion sickness so maybe I’m not the best person to be saying whether or not it really needs fixing.

But I also think there’s a good chance this is being blown out of proportion because of the clientele. You can look at Velocicoaster or Hulk and decide it’s not right for you…not this. I also think Disney fans feel a NEED to do every new ride regardless of their personal interests or limitations…no other park has such a dedicated and/or willfully ignorant collection of fans. Even for UO, you see people like @belloq87 who clearly love the park but stay away from the coasters. I don’t think the entitled Disney Adults recognize that. I hope Disney leaves the ride as is and just let the queasy folks weed themselves out over the next year.

I'm wondering if how much people focus on the screens is playing a role here since it definitely requires you to crane your neck a bit at certain points to catch it all. I tend to ignore the projections once the coaster really starts up so maybe that helps?
I think you and others have hit the nail on the head here - of the times I've gone on it, once I focused on looking around to watch the show and felt queasy by the end. Other times I've focused on looking generally where we're going and get off feeling fine.

Every person has a different tolerance, but our brains don't like it when all of our body's inputs get garbled and once people start looking around their inner ear gets put on spin cycle.

Reactions: Rhian and Tbad556
Even for UO, you see people like @belloq87 who clearly love the park but stay away from the coasters. I don’t think the entitled Disney Adults recognize that. I hope Disney leaves the ride as is and just let the queasy folks weed themselves out over the next year.

In my defense, I only avoid coasters with inversions! But yes, I don't feel compelled to potentially ruin my day by riding something just because it's the new thing and I want to be able to say I've ridden it. Some people clearly are more willing to take that chance (which is fine, but then don't blame the ride for making you sick).

To bring it back round to Cosmic Rewind, I'd love to see some kind of demographic study (which will never happen) that tries to ascertain if this motion sickness is happening in people who are otherwise fine on most other (Disney-level) coasters or simulators. Is it purely the confluence of lateral motion in tandem with projections?

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
The vision stuff makes sense. I'd always read that motion sickness was largely because of inner ear issues. Through most of my life I would get mild motion sickness on some coasters, and extreme spinning rides. At Universal I'd get some motion sickness from FJ, Hulk, and Simpsons....and Dueling Dragons real bad motion sickness. Five years ago I had cataract surgery that gave me close to perfect vision. Prior to that I had poor vision and wore contacts and glasses. Since the cataract surgery. I've had no motion sickness, not even mild, on any ride. So I'm 'guessing' that vision has a lot to do with it also.....Just anecdotal, but......

The screens aren't matching the way your body is moving which causes a sense imbalance. Its really bad on galaxy since there are so many screens with action not matching your movement. They also probably didn't add enough fans
I've yet to go on this, but this may be what is causing the issue.

I never, never get sick on roller coasters, even simulator rides....but there was one exception. Back when SFMM restored Revolution, they added VR to the ride (Which has been permanently scrapped thank God). I decided to try it out, but when I used it, the video was a second or two out of sync with the ride. Once the video hit the loop a full two seconds before the actual loop happened, I started to really feel queasy. I had to close my eyes because the video was messing me up. My brain did not like that at all. So I think this has a lot to do with the screen footage not lining up properly with the actual motion, messing people up. Their mind is fixated on the screen footage while their brain is sensing them being pulled elsewhere, messing up their equilibrium and making them sick.

I've yet to go on this, but this may be what is causing the issue.

I never, never get sick on roller coasters, even simulator rides....but there was one exception. Back when SFMM restored Revolution, they added VR to the ride (Which has been permanently scrapped thank God). I decided to try it out, but when I used it, the video was a second or two out of sync with the ride. Once the video hit the loop a full two seconds before the actual loop happened, I started to really feel queasy. I had to close my eyes because the video was messing me up. My brain did not like that at all. So I think this has a lot to do with the screen footage not lining up properly with the actual motion, messing people up. Their mind is fixated on the screen footage while their brain is sensing them being pulled elsewhere, messing up their equilibrium and making them sick.

I don’t really think it’s this because the screen footage isn’t the focal point of the attraction and it’s not really meant to simulate movement. They’re just there to project the environment you’re flying around in. In fact, I don’t remember any simulated movement at all…just clips of the bad guy and the Guardians ship flying around him.

Like the gun scene of Rise of the Resistance—yeah there’s a bunch of movement happening on the screens beside you, but it’s not meant to tie into what you’re actually doing on the ride.

I don’t really think it’s this because the screen footage isn’t the focal point of the attraction and it’s not really meant to simulate movement. They’re just there to project the environment you’re flying around in. In fact, I don’t remember any simulated movement at all…just clips of the bad guy and the Guardians ship flying around him.

Like the gun scene of Rise of the Resistance—yeah there’s a bunch of movement happening on the screens beside you, but it’s not meant to tie into what you’re actually doing on the ride.

It's still creating cybersickness. Its like for some people when they are riding in a car while their friends are driving. They keep looking at their phone and don't look up and end up getting sick from it.

The issue here is the perception of motion, Rise don't simulate motion when you move whereas this ride has you jumping portal to portal which use screen and projection mapping effects to stimulate speed and such.

Motion sickness is common. It’s that nauseated, disorienting feeling that can happen on boats, in cars, and on amusement park rides for many people. Like motion sickness, cybersickness occurs when your senses send conflicting signals to your brain.

Cybersickness can occur when you scroll on your smartphone or computer, use multiple screens, or attend a virtual meeting in which someone else is controlling the screen.
It all has to do with orientation. You need your senses to get a feel for where you are and how you’re moving in the world. When your senses report contradictory information to the brain, it results in disorientation and physical symptoms.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I think you and others have hit the nail on the head here - of the times I've gone on it, once I focused on looking around to watch the show and felt queasy by the end. Other times I've focused on looking generally where we're going and get off feeling fine.
Not to single you out but to jump off this point: Have you or anyone else have similar issues riding Cobra's Curse? CC doesn't really have any one place you're supposed to look at and some seats even face backwards (in addition to spinning).

The point brought up earlier about being able to see the ride tells me the issue isn't repeated at Busch Gardens as much since guests unwilling to ride it can opt-out right away but if anyone has ridden both I think it'd be interesting to compare the experience. I would guess being outdoors at Busch Gardens and see the surrounding area helps offset a lot of those issues that Guardians just can't mimic.

Are the show scenes really bright in comparison to the rest of the ride? I can't tell from the POV but it seems like having your eyes adjust between the light from the projected scenes/screens to darkness and again doesn't help with physical orientation.

Not to single you out but to jump off this point: Have you or anyone else have similar issues riding Cobra's Curse? CC doesn't really have any one place you're supposed to look at and some seats even face backwards (in addition to spinning).
I‘ve only had issues with Cobra’s Curse once, but the thing was spinning like no other time I’ve been on the ride.

Also, if anyone remembers that rumored Wreck It Ralph ride that was going to replace Stitch - the mock up had the same motion sickness issues with rotating ride vehicle and projections on the perimeter of the room.

It's fascinating how hard this is hitting some people. I feel like I have pretty bad motion sickness and I've felt perfectly fine after all four of my ridethroughs so far. I get sick on most car rides, a good chunk of coasters, etc yet nothing here. Same goes for my girlfriend. I'm wondering if how much people focus on the screens is playing a role here since it definitely requires you to crane your neck a bit at certain points to catch it all. I tend to ignore the projections once the coaster really starts up so maybe that helps? I'm vaguely paranoid every ride now that I'll finally get hit with motion sickness with how much of a thing it's become :lol:

Conversely, I know @Captain Tragedy can ride FJ, VelociCoaster, Hagrid, Hulk, etc with no issues but Guardians gave him a little pause.

I find if you just keep looking straight ahead and don't try to follow too much of the action on screen then you are fine

I know that defeats the purpose of the show scenes, but whatevs

It's funny because I've been on a Mack "extreme spinner" and it didn't make me the slightest bit nauseous...but yet I'm starting to get sick rides like FJ, Guardians, etc

I find if you just keep looking straight ahead and don't try to follow too much of the action on screen then you are fine

I know that defeats the purpose of the show scenes, but whatevs

It's funny because I've been on a Mack "extreme spinner" and it didn't make me the slightest bit nauseous...but yet I'm starting to get sick rides like FJ, Guardians, etc

I 100% believe it's vision/screen sync related. I can ride MIB with its intense spinning multiple times, but throw me into Simpsons and it's a vomit marathon. For FJ I feel perfectly in the more intense forbidden forest/dementor scenes but become easily nauseated during the dome projections.

We need more Flight of Passage/Bourne quality screens.

Reactions: UNIrd and shiekra38