Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 666 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it that Kumba and Montu don't require welding like that? Just curious.
Montu and Kumba (and most other rides) go down for seasonal refurbs where a lot of preventative maintenance can happen. Universal rarely if ever takes their rides down for extended refurbs like that. That's why Hulk needed to be replaced.

Depends. Looking back at some recent Uni rides:

Furious: 3 days (TM Previews Wednesday April 11, Softs Saturday April 14)
Fallon: 2 days (TM Previews Tuesday February 28, Softs Thursday March 2)
Kong: 4 days (TM Previews Sunday June 5, Softs Thursday June 9)
Gringotts: Didn't have TM previews, and softs were for a hot second
Hogwarts Express: 6 days (TM Previews Wednesday June 25, Softs Tuesday July 1)

There really isn't a consistent trend. We'll know nothing until softs actually happen.

It all depends on quality of show and reliability. They were in no great hurry to open Fast, so by the time TMs were let on it was relatively buttoned up. Similar case with Fallon. And if the Kong figure wasn't so finicky, I'd bet Kong would've been more like 2-3 days too.

Definitely not the case here. If Previews are short, it's because they are starting late. But if previews start tomorrow, that's no guarantee guests are getting on this weekend depending on how that testing goes.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
It all depends on quality of show and reliability. They were in no great hurry to open Fast, so by the time TMs were let on it was relatively buttoned up. Similar case with Fallon. And if the Kong figure wasn't so finicky, I'd bet Kong would've been more like 2-3 days too.

Definitely not the case here. If Previews are short, it's because they are starting late. But if previews start tomorrow, that's no guarantee guests are getting on this weekend depending on how that testing goes.

Yeah I dont think we’ll see TM previews till this weekend now, maybe half a day to a day of guest previews.

What is HE?
Hogwarts Express

That certainly isn't replacing track pipe.

And I can't imagine that went on for very long before it was decommissioned. And the cracks had to have been in not critical locations. One crack on a critical load bearing support, and the ride is down immediately for an investigation.
You apparently know best, of corse ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've followed roller coasters for longer than I want to admit, and know of very few instances of something like that. Not on modern, computer designed coasters. It most certainly has to be a perfect weld, putting the new piece of track in the exact location in 3-D space so that it doesn't make things worse.

It may have been welded for some connection repairs, or hole repairs. I find it hard to believe it was a nightly occurance, as that would point to a pretty massive safety issue developing, and the frequent welding logs would be all the proof needed for an injury lawsuit. But I've never heard of any park replacing feet long pieces of track, by a couple welders at night. Because, you know, they didn't just bend a pipe in the shop and weld it in.

I've seen pics of the Bat(current, not former) with sections of the track rails cut out. I know of other coasters that it's happened on as well. While that is an older Arrow coaster, they used to bend these pipes in the field to build coasters. Just because they use computers to design them now doesn't mean they forgot how to do field repairs. And the weld does not have to be perfect. You just have to have the steel perfectly aligned when you weld it. That's not that hard. Even if you do a perfect weld, you would have to go back and grind it flat for wheel to pass over with minimal disturbance. I'd say the reason most people are unaware of these type of repairs, is it's typically an off season type repair, and no one is around to see it.

If there’s no softs and non invited media (bloggers) want to see it as soon as they can... yes.

Plus, should we really be underestimating the hardcore Potter fans at this point?

I mean I think it will be busy. But I don’t see this being opening of Wizarding World Crazy... more like opening of Indiana Jones.

Reactions: Andysol
If there’s no softs and non invited media (bloggers) want to see it as soon as they can... yes.

Plus, should we really be underestimating the hardcore Potter fans at this point?
YES. Potter is Potter. There's been no new Potter rides since 2014. The fans will show up, for the next 18-24 months to experience it....plus the 'new' Hogwart's Dark arts show. The thirst needs quenched.

Status
Not open for further replies.