Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Attraction Overlays during HHN

Mar 3, 2018
Would you like Halloween overlays for rides during the event? Most of USH attraction use screens, so those would be ripe for some Halloweeen overlays.

1- Minion Mayhem could turn into literally anything during HHN.

2- River Adventure has already turned into "Jurassic Park in the Dark" before.

3- I suppose Revenge of the Mummy is already "scary" enough as it is.

4- The Simpsons Ride could turn into something amazingly and disgustingly funny during the night if they try. Something Treehouse of Horror related. Just switch out the movie and add Halloween decorations to the queue and Springfield.

5- Transformers should stay as it is in my opinion. I don't really have any ideas of how an overlay would work here.

6- The Wizarding World should open during the event. Halloween time has already been portrayed in both movies and books. It would be so sweet to see Hogsmeade filled with Pumpkins, Wizard decorations and whatnot.

I suppose a scare zone would be too much, but some roaming Death Eaters could be awesome!

Decorate the queue of Forbidden Journey. Switch out the movie to something more scary but similar to the current ride, like a scarier and more intense Dementor and Dragon chase during the night without Harry or the protagonists helping you out until the very end or something like that. Change the lightning during the scenes if possible.

7- Dreamworks Theater could show literally anything.

The main attraction during HHN are the Mazes, but I think some overlays would help even out the crowds during the night (hopefully making the mazes more accessible for those without FotL) and also add even more value to the event. What do you think?

I would imagine Despicable Me wouldn't be easy to do, due to the flow that would have to be in place for TWDA and the Parsian Courtyard venue. Not saying it won't happen, but it's doubtful.

As for Simpsons, it has been talked that they were once planning on Treehouse during HHN when the original film was being made, but there lied to many variables that led it to not happen. I don't think it would get anything added that isn't Simpsons for an overlay, as Simpsons isn't owned by Universal.

As for JP, don't expect the attraction to be used for a while for anything HHN related.

As for TF, no.

The oddball that should be looked at is Potter, as they have gotten dark before with Osaka having Death Eaters and Dementors previously for not just HHN. All that I can say is to watch Orlando this year.

The only place that would make sense, is DWT.

I love the idea of USH doing seasonal overlays for HHN and maybe Christmas, but Uni doesn't seem to do seasonal offerings. You would think that after the success of Monsters After Dark at DCA, they would be working on some sort of seasonal overlay for some of their rides; that's especially considering a lot of the rides are heavily screed-based. If we are getting a seasonal overlay for anything, I would see Dreamworks being the guinea pig before they invest it into other rides. But they're missing out on some big opportunities to freshen things up for HHN and Christmas.

They tried to do a Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors ride, but Fox isn't interested.

DreamWorks, like I just mentioned, might be on the table. It's a flex venue.

Minions, I could see the most likely above all else. They could easily do a story for both Halloween AND Christmas. I don't think they can give the Minions a horrific overlay during Halloween, but a Christmas overlay would be great. They could easily retheme it to a completely different horror IP if they wanted to for HHN. Despicable Me is their own property and they can do whatever they want with it. Something like that would REALLY help pull in crowds in both Hollywood and Orlando. Maybe they could do some ride where Chucky takes over a toy factory and you get shrunk or something.

Other than that, I don't see them doing overlays to anything else as it wouldn't work. A Christmas overlay for Walking Dead wouldn't really work.

I love the idea of USH doing seasonal overlays for HHN and maybe Christmas, but Uni doesn't seem to do seasonal offerings. You would think that after the success of Monsters After Dark at DCA, they would be working on some sort of seasonal overlay for some of their rides; that's especially considering a lot of the rides are heavily screed-based. If we are getting a seasonal overlay for anything, I would see Dreamworks being the guinea pig before they invest it into other rides. But they're missing out on some big opportunities to freshen things up for HHN and Christmas.

They tried to do a Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors ride, but Fox isn't interested.

DreamWorks, like I just mentioned, might be on the table. It's a flex venue.

Minions, I could see the most likely above all else. They could easily do a story for both Halloween AND Christmas. I don't think they can give the Minions a horrific overlay during Halloween, but a Christmas overlay would be great. They could easily retheme it to a completely different horror IP if they wanted to for HHN. Despicable Me is their own property and they can do whatever they want with it. Something like that would REALLY help pull in crowds in both Hollywood and Orlando. Maybe they could do some ride where Chucky takes over a toy factory and you get shrunk or something.

Other than that, I don't see them doing overlays to anything else as it wouldn't work. A Christmas overlay for Walking Dead wouldn't really work.

I thought it was more due to the writers strikes and budgets for animation and voice acting?

As for DWT, that makes the most sense in my opinion, as you can still do something family friendly Halloween in the day, then have a third party have a unique film exclusive to HHN. It has been done before at Osaka with their 4D theater, and would make sense as a way to have something to get people to the event as an exclusive.

Minions, I just think don't make sense when you consider that it would need ANOTHER reworking of the extended queue of TWDA alongside which area the Parisian Courtyard exits on. Along with SLoP presumably beginning construction this year if it is something happening, I just think there are too many variables. I would also say the same for Jurassic, because of the rumored JW renovation.

I do think however, that a show in DWT and a Hook like show in Hogsmeade would do the bill nicely for HHN and getting people to come to the event.

I like the idea of Chucky taking over the Minions.
But these "screens" cost a lot of money to make movies for them. Upwards to a million or more sometimes. Then there's a matter of the actual on-ride system syncing.
Which is probably why they don't put in the effort for something that'll only be shown for half the day for one month.

YOUR BEST BET is overhauls of JP and Mummy. JP not so much anymore now that JW is coming, so that'll remain unchanged for the next 3 or so years. But in the past, they could've added way more blood, body parts, new story, new soundtrack (which is way cheaper to do than filming), scareactors on already existing platforms on the sides.
With Mummy, the possibilities are endless, but limited to no scareactors. That entire ride can be changed with only 4 days closed (2 prior, 2 after), just ask Ghost Galaxy.

I've always found it odd that they never once made the effort to create a Halloween/Xmas overlay for Minion Mayhem considering they've had the cast reunited for two sequels! They already make short films for the damn Minions (and an unnecessary full length film we shall not speak of). I would've much rather seen two new ride films (hell.... they could pull a Country Bears Vacation Hoedown & have a "summer" overlay as well) for the Halloween/Holiday season. They already decorate the damn area! (wish they'd decorate for Halloween too!) .....meanwhile in Japan..
ssdqBqC.jpg

WK7odeb.jpg
supvtoI.jpg

As for Simpsons, it has been talked that they were once planning on Treehouse during HHN when the original ride film was being made, but there lied to many variables that led it to not happen.
The oddball that should be looked at is Potter, All that I can say is to watch Orlando this year.
^actually the only reason Simpsons never got a Halloween overlay was because Universal said "NO". They wanted to wait until the ride's popularity died :rolleyes: Fox & everyone on that end was all ready to do it. Too bad Universal makes poor decisions. It would've been fun to visit...
PNI8TGN.jpg

In regards to Potter and HHN... yea that is going to be a "NO GO" from the neighbors. It was asked during their MSS panel & WB said they are actively seeing how they can use Potter for their haunt event. So we ain't getting a DeathEater attack show like Japan sadly. (unless maybe it was part of WWOHP's entertainment line-up like Frog Choir/Tri-Wiz)

Isn't it already in place that DWT is going to show holiday-themed shorts during X-mas and Halloween?
I don't believe that's been mentioned, either officially or as a rumor.
During the media preview, it was asked & they did mention its "possible". With that in mind...

Over at HHN Singapore, during the Halloween/HHN season... they change out the SHREK 4D attraction film and show THIS DreamWorks short film.

^The only catch is, they do NOT use the motion seating effects. Despite that, I think this is an awesome way to change up the attraction temporarily & offer a fun non-spooky breather for HHN guests.

Since we have the DreamWorks Animation Theatre, it would allow us to get a fun new pre-show since it is all projection-based anyway (even the display case gimmick). Along with "Scared Shrekless", the OTHER Halloween short film Universal can use is "Monsters vs Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space" (which is amusingly set in California already).

and honestly, this could easily be used in some capacity as well.

Last edited:
Would you like Halloween overlays for rides during the event? Most of USH attraction use screens, so those would be ripe for some Halloweeen overlays.

1- Minion Mayhem could turn into literally anything during HHN.

2- River Adventure has already turned into "Jurassic Park in the Dark" before.

3- I suppose Revenge of the Mummy is already "scary" enough as it is.

4- The Simpsons Ride could turn into something amazingly and disgustingly funny during the night if they try. Something Treehouse of Horror related. Just switch out the movie and add Halloween decorations to the queue and Springfield.

5- Transformers should stay as it is in my opinion. I don't really have any ideas of how an overlay would work here.

6- The Wizarding World should open during the event. Halloween time has already been portrayed in both movies and books. It would be so sweet to see Hogsmeade filled with Pumpkins, Wizard decorations and whatnot.

I suppose a scare zone would be too much, but some roaming Death Eaters could be awesome!

Decorate the queue of Forbidden Journey. Switch out the movie to something more scary but similar to the current ride, like a scarier and more intense Dementor and Dragon chase during the night without Harry or the protagonists helping you out until the very end or something like that. Change the lightning during the scenes if possible.

7- Dreamworks Theater could show literally anything.

The main attraction during HHN are the Mazes, but I think some overlays would help even out the crowds during the night (hopefully making the mazes more accessible for those without FotL) and also add even more value to the event. What do you think?
oooo the idea of something in the DWT sounds interesting! knowing universal, they won’t do that though. It probably costs too much to create a new film. I doubt they’d change the film every year, but a special something for hhn would be nice. Sounds great but highly unlikely :(

My point is/was: Disney parks makes such an amazing attempt to theme their parks for the Halloween season and USH gets....Nothing.
I was just simply stating an opinion, that’s all :) no need for sarcasm here :p both events are completely different and both parks do an amazing job at hosting them in my eyes...nothing wrong with that opinion

I was just simply stating an opinion, that’s all :) no need for sarcasm here :p

And I agreed with your opinion....?

Anywhooooo, USH could without a doubt fill Hogsmeade (will probably never happen) with pumpkins for daytime guests, spice up KFP or retheme Springfield but, for some reason it hasnt happened. I'm sure it's been looked into before though

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anyway to incorporate Halloween Overlays to any of the existing attractions during HHN, or during normal hours. It wouldn’t really be worth it to make a new film for Simpsons, although they could show clips from Treehouse of Horrors in the queue as someone suggested before. I don’t see the point in replacing DWT/Minions with a film unless it’s an exclusive film from a horror IP. The demographic going to the HHN aren’t going there to watch a Minions or Shrek film. Also, to make it worth while they would have to sync the films with the moving seats, which simply isn’t worth the money it would cost. JW could do something interesting when it opens. TF/ROTM are fine as they are.

The only real thing they could do is Hogsmede, which would be great and I don’t see why the haven’t opened it yet, unless there’s a noise problem/legal issue.

When you have an adult horror event going on it’s probably hard to theme for younger kids during the day, but they definitely should have more Halloween themed walk-around characters like the Classic Monsters, Beetlejuice, etc... and they could dress up the other characters like they did with Minions in Japan.

I don’t think there’s anyway to incorporate Halloween Overlays to any of the existing attractions during HHN, or during normal hours. It wouldn’t really be worth it to make a new film for Simpsons, although they could show clips from Treehouse of Horrors in the queue as someone suggested before. I don’t see the point in replacing DWT/Minions with a film unless it’s an exclusive film from a horror IP. The demographic going to the HHN aren’t going there to watch a Minions or Shrek film. Also, to make it worth while they would have to sync the films with the moving seats, which simply isn’t worth the money it would cost. JW could do something interesting when it opens. TF/ROTM are fine as they are.

The only real thing they could do is Hogsmede, which would be great and I don’t see why the haven’t opened it yet, unless there’s a noise problem/legal issue.

When you have an adult horror event going on it’s probably hard to theme for younger kids during the day, but they definitely should have more Halloween themed walk-around characters like the Classic Monsters, Beetlejuice, etc... and they could dress up the other characters like they did with Minions in Japan.
I agree with your point of dressing up characters. DLR does that and it’s fun! I don’t know how many more Classic Monsters they could add because we already have the mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein, Beetlejuice, am I missing any?? ? Although I will say, they could at least add in a few pumpkins here and there for families to enjoy during the day LOL. Wouldn’t necessarily hurt hhn itself I guess. Or maybe they could decorate the windows in the stores or something? add decorations to the New York Facades? the possibilities are endless