Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 109 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I might be losing my mind with the waiting time for announcements but I noticed something pretty odd in a few walkthrough videos. If you're active on Twitter (especially in 2016), you may have remembered this tweet
It was in the Purge Gauntlet Scarezone in 2016 with a little nod toward Evil Dead 2. Seems cheeky, maybe it's a little easter egg from one of the designers. Check this out though, what did we get next year? AVED, what was it supposed to be or at least include scenes from? Evil Dead 2.
From last year once again in The Purge section of Horrors of Blumhouse, there's two familiar pieces of graffiti art on the cage/box in this timestamp
The one on the front obviously being Frankenstein and on the side is debatable. The creature on the side looks like a modern version of the Wolfman OR a botched version of the Beholder from Dungeons and Dragons. Seeing how The Gauntlet may have hinted at Evil Dead in 2017, Blumhouse might've given a hint for UCM or UCM and Stranger Things.
If the links don't work, here are the pictures. I3juvIeh.jpg 9GnG0k_C.jpg
CwhOmoxUkAAIx2o.jpg

Attachments

• 5EPQZsZU.jpg
    5EPQZsZU.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5EPQZsZU.jpg
    5EPQZsZU.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
I might be losing my mind with the waiting time for announcements but I noticed something pretty odd in a few walkthrough videos. If you're active on Twitter (especially in 2016), you may have remembered this tweet
It was in the Purge Gauntlet Scarezone in 2016 with a little nod toward Evil Dead 2. Seems cheeky, maybe it's a little easter egg from one of the designers. Check this out though, what did we get next year? AVED, what was it supposed to be or at least include scenes from? Evil Dead 2.
From last year once again in The Purge section of Horrors of Blumhouse, there's two familiar pieces of graffiti art on the cage/box in this timestamp
The one on the front obviously being Frankenstein and on the side is debatable. The creature on the side looks like a modern version of the Wolfman OR a botched version of the Beholder from Dungeons and Dragons. Seeing how The Gauntlet may have hinted at Evil Dead in 2017, Blumhouse might've given a hint for UCM or UCM and Stranger Things.
If the links don't work, here are the pictures. View attachment 6438 View attachment 6439
View attachment 6441

Woah… that was a great find!! It definitely seems intentional that designers meant to do that considering Orlando had a ton of Easter eggs for 27 in Krampus(Amityville for Conjuring, Sam’s Lollipop for Trick ‘r Treat). Speaking of AvED was it supposed to be the movies or the shows because last year speculation on it seemed to go back and forth?

Woah… that was a great find!! It definitely seems intentional that designers meant to do that considering Orlando had a ton of Easter eggs for 27 in Krampus(Amityville for Conjuring, Sam’s Lollipop for Trick ‘r Treat). Speaking of AvED was it supposed to be the movies or the shows because last year speculation on it seemed to go back and forth?

Wasn't the rumor that it was supposed to be Evil Dead 2, but just have the name Ash vs Evil Dead as promotion for the show? And then when the copyright owners found out about what they were doing they made them do it on the show. It made having the Henrietta costume and puppet handy for either IP honestly. Also what was the Easter egg at Orlando regarding The Conjuring?

Reactions: horrornights789
Wasn't the rumor that it was supposed to be Evil Dead 2, but just have the name Ash vs Evil Dead as promotion for the show? And then when the copyright owners found out about what they were doing they made them do it on the show. It made having the Henrietta costume and puppet in handy for either IP honestly. Also what was the Easter egg at Orlando regarding The Conjuring?

They had Krampus’ Lair in their Krampus maze, and in one of the snow globes was the Amityville House - which was a nod to the opening of Conjuring 2 and the fact we were gonna have it last year. And also, the stuff with Ash vs Evil Dead sucks. You would think they’d have discussed that during when they agreed to make the maze

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
They had Krampus’ Lair in their Krampus maze, and in one of the snow globes was the Amityville House - which was a nod to the opening of Conjuring 2 and the fact we were gonna have it last year. And also, the stuff with Ash vs Evil Dead sucks. You would think they’d have discussed that during when they agreed to make the maze

Having that scenario fit in with the cuts that AvED was already facing, that Murdy confirmed on Twitter, really made that maze suffer the most, tied with HoB. And it honestly sucked because IMO whenever you were in a building in AvED, like the cabin, his hometown house, or even his trailer, they were pretty detailed. It was just the transitions that really lagged. And out of all the mazes last year, Saw was the one that was the most detailed of the 7, having only 1 black-walled room in it.

Having that scenario fit in with the cuts that AvED was already facing, that Murdy confirmed on Twitter, really made that maze suffer the most, tied with HoB. And it honestly sucked because IMO whenever you were in a building in AvED, like the cabin, his hometown house, or even his trailer, they were pretty detailed. It was just the transitions that really lagged. And out of all the mazes last year, Saw was the one that was the most detailed of the 7, having only 1 black-walled room in it.

What cuts did Horrors of Blumhouse face? And also, agreed on Ash. It looked like it had potential but the cuts made it completely miss the mark. And yeah SAW was a “meh” house(although the one time I did it I got a really good run through and caught all the scares) but it definitely had the least black walls.

What cuts did Horrors of Blumhouse face? And also, agreed on Ash. It looked like it had potential but the cuts made it completely miss the mark. And yeah SAW was a “meh” house(although the one time I did it I got a really good run through and caught all the scares) but it definitely had the least black walls.

Apparently, from what I remember was being discussed in the beginning of summer, it was supposed to be at least 5 movies. There was debate if other movies would be Split, Get Out, Oculus, Ouija, and other Blumhouse movies. The debate lasted over things like which could they get the copyright to, which ones didn't have a chance. And I remember specifically people were convinced Happy Death Day and Sinister 2 wouldn't be coming, even though I felt they slightly could. Then it was revealed there would only be 3 movie IPs in it, which made expanding them to cover more grounds in the attraction difficult, given that one of the IPs would be entirely outside, with the exception of random soldiers and Big Daddy actors at the end. Also at the end, the "Let's All Go to the Lobby" song was playing, and apparently the ending scenes where supposed to go back to the movie theater, formally leaving Sinister. But that got taken out, as well as random kill scenes in the Sinister portion.

Apparently, from what I remember was being discussed in the beginning of summer, it was supposed to be at least 5 movies. There was debate if other movies would be Split, Get Out, Oculus, Ouija, and other Blumhouse movies. The debate lasted over things like which could they get the copyright to, which ones didn't have a chance. And I remember specifically people were convinced Happy Death Day and Sinister 2 wouldn't be coming, even though I felt they slightly could. Then it was revealed there would only be 3 movie IPs in it, which made expanding them to cover more grounds in the attraction difficult, given that one of the IPs would be entirely outside, with the exception of random soldiers and Big Daddy actors at the end. Also at the end, the "Let's All Go to the Lobby" song was playing, and apparently the ending scenes where supposed to go back to the movie theater, formally leaving Sinister. But that got taken out, as well as random kill scenes in the Sinister portion.

Huh; now that you mention I do remember Get Out and Split being talked about for HoB and I specifically remember reading that the Hanging Tree was originally in Sinister. Would’ve loved to have seen the original designs for most of the mazes as a lot of them fell flat. Also, I definitely remember that The Purge in Orlando was supposed to be Ouija but Hasbro said no

Huh; now that you mention I do remember Get Out and Split being talked about for HoB and I specifically remember reading that the Hanging Tree was originally in Sinister. Would’ve loved to have seen the original designs for most of the mazes as a lot of them fell flat. Also, I definitely remember that The Purge in Orlando was supposed to be Ouija but Hasbro said no

All in all, HoB was an experiment, like TitE, and IMO, remembering the experience and such, I don't necessarily think it was a success. The Purge part was redundant and only added to the huge conga line, beating out Insidious for having the worst line-in-maze experience. The Happy Death Day portion was okay, but felt odd with a lot of black walls. The only thing that really saved it was the Sinister portion. Looking at the rumored mazes for this year, the only compilation house is Universal monsters, and I'm hoping that, if it goes the original concept as the structure route, that it doesn't suffer from these potential errors. I'm kind of hoping it will be the monsters interacting in the same "world" and not like Titans of Terror last year, where it's black wall transitions and then the next movie world.

All in all, HoB was an experiment, like TitE, and IMO, remembering the experience and such, I don't necessarily think it was a success. The Purge part was redundant and only added to the huge conga line, beating out Insidious for having the worst line-in-maze experience. The Happy Death Day portion was okay, but felt odd with a lot of black walls. The only thing that really saved it was the Sinister portion. Looking at the rumored mazes for this year, the only compilation house is Universal monsters, and I'm hoping that, if it goes the original concept as the structure route, that it doesn't suffer from these potential errors. I'm kind of hoping it will be the monsters interacting in the same "world" and not like Titans of Terror last year, where it's black wall transitions and then the next movie world.

I’m thinking UCM might be similar to House of Horrors in that it’ll jump Monster to monster while still holding the theme of whatever environment it’s in(a Movie Theater like Blumhouse, a castle like HoH)

I’m thinking UCM might be similar to House of Horrors in that it’ll jump Monster to monster while still holding the theme of whatever environment it’s in(a Movie Theater like Blumhouse, a castle like HoH)

I sort of hope so too. The problem with the multitudes of compilation houses last year was that transitions would be awkward and result in black walls. It made it confusing as to what exact environments we were in during those rooms. HoB, Insidious and AvED especially

I sort of hope so too. The problem with the multitudes of compilation houses last year was that transitions would be awkward and result in black walls. It made it confusing as to what exact environments we were in during those rooms. HoB, Insidious and AvED especially

For Insidious it made sense, but it was confusing how you kept re-entering the Further through different red doors. Still don’t get how Insidious won HoTY since IMO Roanoke, Titans of Terror, The Shining and even HoB(solely for Sinister) were leagues better.

Edit: To give Insidious credit, it was easily the scariest maze(IMO) but definitely lacked in scenic

For Insidious it made sense, but it was confusing how you kept re-entering the Further through different red doors. Still don’t get how Insidious won HoTY since IMO Roanoke, Titans of Terror, The Shining and even HoB(solely for Sinister) were leagues better.

Edit: To give Insidious credit, it was easily the scariest maze(IMO) but definitely lacked in scenic

I sort of have to respectfully disagree. I went through that maze 3x that night, the first time was a huge line in the maze, like HoB, but the last two times flowed smoothly. Honestly that maze suffered in 3 aspects: 1. based on a not-yet-released movie (which isn't to say that they haven't successfully done a preview house before) 2. some of the scenes in the house were cut from the final cut of the film and 3. it shoe-horned elements from the last 3 movies. It felt disorganized and confusing. Just like how the abrupt cut at the end of Blumhouse; I was expecting Bughuul to pop out and instead get startled by soldiers with can shakers. In Insidious, I didn't know where one movie ended and another began. Not to mention the "scenes" for the first 3 films were just one room so it was easy to miss the scareactor, which happened our first time going through. Plus I felt that the blackrooms in this year's version felt off, as opposed to how they were done in the previous 2. And yet, all 3 times going through, the final 5 scares were a bust. People kept halting and you could see them coming a mile away. Not to mention that they didn't feel unique since how many times the hole in the wall scare was already used in that maze, as well as the others. I know people loved it last year, but Insidious was in my bottom 3 for 2017 mazes.

I sort of have to respectfully disagree. I went through that maze 3x that night, the first time was a huge line in the maze, like HoB, but the last two times flowed smoothly. Honestly that maze suffered in 3 aspects: 1. based of a not-yet-released movie (which isn't to say that they haven't successfully done a preview house before) 2. some of the scenes in the house were cut from the final cut of the film and 3. it shoe-horned elements from the last 3 movies. It felt disorganized and confusing. Just like how the abrupt cut at the end of Blumhouse; I was expecting Bughuul to pop out and instead get startled by soldiers with can shakers. In Insidious, I didn't know where one movie ended and another began. Not to mention the "scenes" for the first 3 films were just one room so it was easy to miss the scareactor, which happened our first time going through. Plus I felt that the blackrooms in this year's version felt off, as opposed to how they were done in the previous 2. And yet, all 3 times going through, the final 5 scares were a bust. People kept halting and you could see them coming a mile away. Not to mention that they didn't feel unique since how many times the hole in the wall scare was already used in that maze, as well as the others. I know people loved it last year, but Insidious was in my bottom 3 for 2017 mazes.

Oh I didn’t know conga lines were a huge issue in Insidious… the night I went it felt like it was just me and my group aside from some people in front of us and a few behind. HoB on the other hand was extremely bad to the point where people were playing Heads Up in the Purge Section. And yeah the Insidious maze did feel like a step down from 2015’s rendition; anyways I’m wondering how they’ll scale down the Neibolt House so it can accommodate the 747 Parking Lot, FvJ seemed to have a large facade but SAW’s made it seem like a smaller area for facades.

Oh I didn’t know conga lines were a huge issue in Insidious… the night I went it felt like it was just me and my group aside from some people in front of us and a few behind. HoB on the other hand was extremely bad to the point where people were playing Heads Up in the Purge Section. And yeah the Insidious maze did feel like a step down from 2015’s rendition; anyways I’m wondering how they’ll scale down the Neibolt House so it can accommodate the 747 Parking Lot, FvJ seemed to have a large facade but SAW’s made it seem like a smaller area for facades.

I don't think Neibolt will be too scaled down. Granted, I'm not expecting the same amount of detail like the WB attraction outside, like dead brush, fencing, and such, but nonetheless I think they can pull off a pretty good 2-story, decrepit house. I do think some hole-in-the-wall scares can get pulled off. Like I'm expecting the Woman in the Painting to make a couple of appearances. Maybe once in Neibolt, and another for the sewer attack on Stanley. I'm hoping the Pennywise mask they use looks good, and not as cartoonish as the Insidious masks or the Lady in the tub from the Shining maze.

I don't think Neibolt will be too scaled down. Granted, I'm not expecting the same amount of detail like the WB attraction outside, like dead brush, fencing, and such, but nonetheless I think they can pull off a pretty good 2-story, decrepit house. I do think some hole-in-the-wall scares can get pulled off. Like I'm expecting the Woman in the Painting to make a couple of appearances. Maybe once in Neibolt, and another for the sewer attack on Stanley. I'm hoping the Pennywise mask they use looks good, and not as cartoonish as the Insidious masks or the Lady in the tub from the Shining maze.

If they could get something like Immortal Masks then Pennywise shouldn’t look bad at all; although a constipated Pennywise could be entertaining *jk*

If they could get something like Immortal Masks then Pennywise shouldn’t look bad at all; although a constipated Pennywise could be entertaining *jk*

It's interesting you mention that. I understand that budget cuts hit the masks for several mazes pretty hard. Given the first time I saw the Lipstick demon, bride in black, and man who can't breathe, I cringed at how odd the eyes looked. Even the body suits for the lipstick demon in Insidious, the demon spawn in AvED, and the lady in the tub in The Shining looked cheap. I was expecting 3-dimensional body suits like in Crimson Peak for her body. Their body suits looked like over-worn, stretched out morph suits; the obvious wrinkles on them made it look like they were wearing baggy onesies. I understand they had to rely primarily on Immortal masks for more than 90% of the scare zone actors, which kind of sucked, given that some of the cool artwork for Toxic Tunnel seemed wasted, as I never saw those drawn characters in there. If only Immortal masks could've down some work on the maze masks as well.

It's interesting you mention that. I understand that budget cuts hit the masks for several mazes pretty hard. Given the first time I saw the Lipstick demon, bride in black, and man who can't breathe, I cringed at how odd the eyes looked. Even the body suits for the lipstick demon in Insidious, the demon spawn in AvED, and the lady in the tub in The Shining looked cheap. I was expecting 3-dimensional body suits like in Crimson Peak for her body. Their body suits looked like over-worn, stretched out morph suits; the obvious wrinkles on them made it look like they were wearing baggy onesies. I understand they had to rely primarily on Immortal masks for more than 90% of the scare zone actors, which kind of sucked, given that some of the cool artwork for Toxic Tunnel seemed wasted, as I never saw those drawn characters in there. If only Immortal masks could've down some work on the maze masks as well.

Immortal Masks look soooo good; I would fully expect to see them in at least 1-2 mazes this year(IT specifically). Speaking of masks, I’m wondering if they’ll use masks for the characters in Asylum or if they’ll cast lookalikes like Orlando did. Would be very strange to see the Santa guy, Sister Jude, & Sister Mary Eunice as masks.