Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 160 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
kinda sad that a cedar fair park had a better event than universal hollywood did last year it’ll probably be the same thing this year...i’m very skeptical about this year...i honestly don’t think murdy will pull off any maze this year except stranger things but ill wait and see maybe ill be impressed...at least hhn is better than fright fest though ill give them that.
knotts is getting pretty good. still got bugs to work out here and there but yes there definitely getting better.

I enjoyed Knotts quite a bit the last two years, but it's still nowhere near how much I enjoy HHN. Knotts will always have amazing scarezones, but the quality of the sets are just so far behind - even with them getting better, they're not quite there yet. I remember a batch or two ago of their newest mazes and the rage was "OMG, KSF mazes are almost as good as HHN!" And that was freakin' Pinocchio Unstrung, which now in memory we look back at as "ewwww" and quite frankly is just another KSF maze, nothing special. Keep in mind that location now houses Red Barn, which is one of the worst KSF mazes -- EVER. Even something like Trick or Treat, which is one of their better sets at the time, is still miles behind. The stuff of the now, like Parnormal Inc or Dark Ride, there's a lot of great elements, but also a lot of elements that scream "cheap!" On the other hand, think back to any HHN maze, even one of their weakest ones like My Bloody Valentine, and the sets still hold up in quality to what they're pushing out today. Sometimes even more so, because the budget wasn't spread so thin. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather do ShadowLands or Special Ops over Ash vs. Evil Dead or Horrors of Blumhouse any day. But those same great mazes in comparison, I'd also take AHS: Roanoke or the "worst" Insidious over those.

Sure Knotts has some cool innovations in storytelling and scare techniques, but I never feel immersed or fully engaged in my sense of disbelief. I can count on one hand how many times that has happened after ALLLLL these years at KSF, but have ran out of phalanges and toes how many times it's happened at HHN. Too many things are taking me out or reminding me not only is it fake, it's also cheap. Granted, some of their mazes have been great, even better than some HHN mazes, but the event overall, as massive and grand as it can be, fails to deliver consistent scares, a consistent tone, and consistent quality. We jab HHN for "set scares" (which they've been getting better at with having more "roaming scareactors" since TWD: WNF), but there's nothing worse than going through an entire maze, or even a handful of mazes at KSF, and not a single monster trying to scare you, or even worse, not even SEEING a single monster because they're out on break or chatting with a friend. They constantly break character too, even in the world famous scarezones. We also jab HHN for black walls, but at least 75% of the time, they have a scare in them, whereas KSF can literally portion a well designed maze with nobody in it, or the guy from the first room is following the girl all the way to the exit.

Luckily now I can go to both and not think twice about the price, but I know where I'm getting my money's worth!

*sigh* I guess I’ll just have to hope to be pleasantly surprised this year. It’s done that to me before (El Cucuy, Dracula Untold). I guess I’m curious as to what you guys think too. What’re some mazes that sounded awful but actually surprised the poop out of you?

*sigh* I guess I’ll just have to hope to be pleasantly surprised this year. It’s done that to me before (El Cucuy, Dracula Untold). I guess I’m curious as to what you guys think too. What’re some mazes that sounded awful but actually surprised the poop out of you?
I thought ToT last years was gonna suck.
It didn't. I was pleasantly surprised.

Only a few surprises, as I've generally been pretty hyped for most things or have the right amount of expectations:
- Vampyre: Castle of the Undead (HoH overlays didn't usually have a punch to 'em, but this delivered massive scares)
- Alice Cooper: Welcome to my Nightmare (I didn't LOVE IT, but it wasn't the dumpster fire I was expecting -- I genuinely thought Alice Cooper as an IP would deliver the worst maze ever. Goes to Hell was along the lines I was thinking, but that didn't happen until the next year and that was rightfully bland.)
- Face Off: In the Flesh (After UCM, I was tired of the HoH being bastardized and this seemed like more of the same, but the new masks were a welcome addition and sent off the HoH on a high note).
- Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood (Had very little expectations and came out with my heart racing, one of the best HHN mazes in a year full of great mazes)
- Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield (I didn't care for Halloween 2, didn't think it was anywhere near iconic enough, and thought it'd be a weird choice out of all the sequels, other than it being the only Halloween movie Universal actually distributed -- but they took some creative liberties and the ending was A+)
- AHS: Roanoke (IMO, the absolute worst season of AHS and I was mad it was getting a solo maze, but it turned out VERY scary, dark, and long)

Reactions: cdogsumo
Sinister was my favorite part of HOB so it wouldn't disappoint me if that was what we are getting instead of AHS.

Which tent is this.

^ Same. Not my first choice for a maze, but they did a decent enough job with it.
Also, HHN is known to re-use walls. This happens almost every year where a prominent set piece is seen and everyone thinks a repeat is happening only for it to get painted over later. Granted, I think Sinister or HOB is very possible to return, but it doesn't confirm anything at all.

Reactions: marip123
^ Same. Not my first choice for a maze, but they did a decent enough job with it.
Also, HHN is known to re-use walls. This happens almost every year where a prominent set piece is seen and everyone thinks a repeat is happening only for it to get painted over later. Granted, I think Sinister or HOB is very possible to return, but it doesn't confirm anything at all.
This very well may be the case. All the videos I have seen that have shown the FDTD/AHS tent seems like they are still working inside. I doubt they would be painting while they are still constructing.

Again not saying it isn't Sinister, just saying it isn't necessarily proof that Sinister is coming.

Reactions: ush.hacker