Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At the very least, they finally opened Potter. I know they really didn’t have a choice this year, but could you imagine how much worse it would be if they decided not to open Hippogriff and FJ? Yikes.

Hopefully if they go back to utilizing Metro for the “backstage” venues, they will still keep Potter open even if it’s no longer used as an access point to other houses. They need all of the crowd absorption they can get. People will still go there to go on rides, get drinks and see Dark Arts if they offer it next year.

The Standby lines were plenty huge, indicating there's still a crapload of people that were there without Express.

Yeah, but at the same time, one could also point to the lines being long because they literally were not moving due to the Express line being let through for minutes at a time before a half dozen people would be allowed to go from the standby line, then back to letting Express people go. Had Express not been constantly funneled in, the standby lines could’ve clicked at a much faster pace, thereby lowering the wait time. The attendance was undoubtedly one part of the problem, sure, but being there in person and seeing it, the Express lines and how they were being handled definitely was an equal part of the issue.

The idea that people buy Express to avoid long lines only to help create the long lines they paid to avoid in the first place felt true last night in an absolutely noticeable way that not even years past could compare to.

Last edited:
I was there last night as well. Can echo everything about super long lines, and most moved fairly slowly. Even FJ had a 60 min wait at 8pm. We saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave at 8:30, because we have FFP and realized it'd just be easier to leave and return for another night. We only got 3 mazes done (Exorcist, TCM, and Bride).

Tried to wait for Terror Tram when the app said it was a 35 min wait. By the time we walked over their from the Plaza, it had gone to 55 minutes. Got in the line, and it was 75 minutes, all within maybe 10 minutes. Stood in the line for about 10 minutes and didn't see a single tram, and nobody was moving. If there's one thing about the tram, it's the even if the line is long, it's nearly always moving. But not a single person was moving in the queue for 10 minutes.

So we got out and tried to head to Halloween, because the app said it was 35 minutes. By the time we walked up there, it was at 50 minutes. Just left the park instead.

I'm sorry, but Covid is still going to be an issue for me. The first hour or two was crowded, but largely managable. By 8pm, it was wall to wall people, over half without masks, and it didn't feel super safe to me. Will the event get shut down over it? Probably not. But did I feel safe from a pandemic point of view? No, not particularly. Really, if these crowds continue, we'd maybe only visit for about an hour or two and just leave. And it kind of sours me on the event in general.
You do understand that masks are no longer required outside and there is no "social distancing" anymore. If you don't feel comfortable, then you shouldn't be leaving your home. Obviously you have a breaking point on the crowds.

Reactions: ItsAtrap
You do understand that masks are no longer required outside and there is no "social distancing" anymore. If you don't feel comfortable, then you shouldn't be leaving your home. Obviously you have a breaking point on the crowds.
Dude chill youre so anti-covid protocol in these threads without consideration for the people who are actually responsible but are hoping that the park ensures the safety of others in order to keep these events safe and afloat. They have their rights to concerns too.

Dude chill youre so anti-covid protocol in these threads without consideration for the people who are actually responsible but are hoping that the park ensures the safety of others in order to keep these events safe and afloat. They have their rights to concerns too.
Of course they have their rights, just like I do. I am simply saying don't worry about the crowds. ANd if you are, then don't go to the park or HHN. They are not going to close the parks. They would have done so when the numbers went up again, but they are down from 15,000 cases a day a few weeks ago here in LA to under 2000 a day. That's why I was asking that we don't turn this into a COVID discussion because no two sides will ever agree. I don't even know what anti-Covid means. I just have a different outlook on it that doesn't agree with you. But as I have always told people. Enjoy life. Wear a mask outside if you want. Don't go to events if you don't want to.

Reactions: ItsAtrap
On the bright side, tonight was very slightly better.
I cut exorcist out of the agenda entirely cuz i couldnt get in early since my AP was blocked out, and I ended up getting everything but H4 done without too much waiting by around 8. Never actually ended up doing H4 unfortunately since i kept waiting for the wait to drop but it never did, spent that time watching the scarezones instead which I definitely don't regret since I've always ended up spending a lot of time each year doing just that.
I know for a lot of people it doesnt change much, but just goes to show if youre willing to skip exorcist or if the line is already out to around panda express before opening, dont bother with it and go to TCM instead, odds are youll be done in time to do the curious george mazes right as they open, priming you basically perfectly for the opening of the upper lot and terror tram with shorter waits too. (My personal order was TCM, Hill House, Pandora, Tram, Bride, and Bride again cuz H4 was too long).
Really hope sunday capacity will be capped lower like thursday, or maybe even lower than that, since it's gonna have to be the last night of the year, making it my least attended year aside from 2013. Hopefully I'll be able to make up for lost time from friday and saturday.

That's why I was asking that we don't turn this into a COVID discussion because no two sides will ever agree. I don't even know what anti-Covid means. I just have a different outlook on it that doesn't agree with you. But as I have always told people. Enjoy life. Wear a mask outside if you want. Don't go to events if you don't want to.

I think what you might be missing in Chris’ point is that yes, you’re allowed to have your viewpoint, but you come off aggressive about it. All @Rideguy70 said was that COVID is still an issue for him and laid out why. That’s it. And then you telling him, essentially, in a roundabout way to shut up about it because you personally aren’t as concerned about it, with terminology like “You do understand…” it just comes off as needlessly condescending and argumentative; as Chris said, people are allowed to voice their concerns, but you don’t have to argue with or belittle their perspective because your outlook is different. Just take a deep breath and don’t engage with it, problem solved.

Really hope sunday capacity will be capped lower like thursday, or maybe even lower than that

I’m definitely curious what Sunday will be like, that’s for sure. I’m looking forward to hearing what your experience (and anyone else’s) is like.

Last edited:
My Son and I are flying in from Northwest Arkansas on Sat Oct 16th. We plan on hitting up HHN on Sun. This a special trip for him so I don't mind dropping the cash. But which is better, the 2pm entry with express or the VIP tickets. We'd like to do the stuff not open at night. Is 2 to 6 enough time?

My Son and I are flying in from Northwest Arkansas on Sat Oct 16th. We plan on hitting up HHN on Sun. This a special trip for him so I don't mind dropping the cash. But which is better, the 2pm entry with express or the VIP tickets. We'd like to do the stuff not open at night. Is 2 to 6 enough time?
There shoud be enough time to see most of the stuff not open at night. The Tram Tour for sure.

I think what you might be missing in Chris’ point is that yes, you’re allowed to have your viewpoint, but you come off aggressive about it. All @Rideguy70 said was that COVID is still an issue for him and laid out why. That’s it. And then you telling him, essentially, in a roundabout way to shut up about it because you personally aren’t as concerned about it, with terminology like “You do understand…” it just comes off as needlessly condescending and argumentative; as Chris said, people are allowed to voice their concerns, but you don’t have to argue with or belittle their perspective because your outlook is different. Just take a deep breath and don’t engage with it, problem solved.

I’m definitely curious what Sunday will be like, that’s for sure. I’m looking forward to hearing what your experience (and anyone else’s) is like.
I am not missing Chris' point at all. But thank you for speaking for him. That is the way you interpreted it and are assuming it comes off aggressive. I in no way was telling him to shut up. That again is how you decided to interpret it. The joys of the internet. What I am saying is he and you and everyone can have an opinion. But as you can see and as I stated, you are interpreting it one way because you have your opinions, which I respect and will not attempt to change. But if someone is that uncomfortable going into a crowd, then they should probably not be out in one. If they have there threshold, which some do, then I hope they have fun, but if it is too crowder they can leave. Theme parks have been open for about 5 months now. Even in the latest "surge", there was no talk of shutting anything down, including theme parks. So for someone to think USH will be shutdown if one person tests positive, then that is crazy in my opinion, which is my opinion. Take care. Enjoy life. Don't be scared.

It was definitely more manageable last night, but I’m glad they “sold out,” as it was still very packed. You really need to get there early or ideally already be in the park if you want to clear the early entry mazes and stay ahead of the crowds. Some truly terrible park ops - will have some more comprehensive thoughts and a review later, but it’s my birthday, so that’ll wait.

I will say, if you are anxious about COVID or do not being around people not wearing masks indoors, you probably should reconsider attending. Mask compliance indoors was just not a thing, and while a handful of team members did ask/order guests to put them on before entering a maze / restaurant queue / whatever, they came right off as soon as they got inside and were past them.

It was definitely more manageable last night, but I’m glad they “sold out,” as it was still very packed. You really need to get there early or ideally already be in the park if you want to clear the early entry mazes and stay ahead of the crowds. Some truly terrible park ops - will have some more comprehensive thoughts and a review later, but it’s my birthday, so that’ll wait.

I will say, if you are anxious about COVID or do not being around people not wearing masks indoors, you probably should reconsider attending. Mask compliance indoors was just not a thing, and while a handful of team members did ask/order guests to put them on before entering a maze / restaurant queue / whatever, they came right off as soon as they got inside and were past them.
Glad to hear it was a little more manageable, hopefully things start to even out a bit. I’ll keep an eye out for your more comprehensive rundown, but can I ask about the Express lines? Just curious if it was like Saturday, where there were so many that they basically kept the general lines from moving all night.

Since my name was spoken so much, all I'll say is: I understand that there will be crowds. But to me, there's a difference between crowds, and being stuck standing shoulder to shoulder with a huge group of people, unable to move. That's unreasonable not only from a Covid point of view, but just safety in general. And that Friday night was turning into the latter.

I'm vaccinated and wear masks. TBH, I'm not super worried about getting sick. However, my work tests for Covid weekly, and if I get it, even if asymptomatic, I have to quarantine, and it will affect my job. Can you blame me for being cautious?

And point taken... I'm not staying. Thanks to a FFP, I go early and leave by about 7-8pm because of the intense maskless crowds kicking in. I understand that's the deal for me. At the same time, it shouldn't have to be that way.

Getting back to the topic, I did visit Saturday, and while it was still crowded, as Saturday nights nearly always are, it still wasn't as bad as the Friday night before. Except for Exorcist, we got all mazes done by 9pm (that even included TWD). Even when we left at 9pm, some of the heavy hitters (Hill, Exorcist, TCM) were about 2 hours, but the rest were around 30 minutes. And nothing hit 3 hours at all as far as I know. That's all more in line with what past Saturdays are.

Last edited:

Tbh it's a little sad that even early entry isn't even really early enough to get everything done anymore, especially for exorcist, if you dont wanna wait you really have to be in the park and waiting in line before the regular early entry people are even down there.
Guess it's kinda just a quirk of this year, since overall less mazes being open during early entry means everyone will be packing into one of 2 options (since it doesnt really seem like anyone is doing tram first thing), rather than the like 5 spread out in 2019.

Ok let’s drop it. Thank you.
Agreed Brian. I revert back to my original post on the topic.

Yeah, but at the same time, one could also point to the lines being long because they literally were not moving due to the Express line being let through for minutes at a time before a half dozen people would be allowed to go from the standby line, then back to letting Express people go. Had Express not been constantly funneled in, the standby lines could’ve clicked at a much faster pace, thereby lowering the wait time. The attendance was undoubtedly one part of the problem, sure, but being there in person and seeing it, the Express lines and how they were being handled definitely was an equal part of the issue.

The idea that people buy Express to avoid long lines only to help create the long lines they paid to avoid in the first place felt true last night in an absolutely noticeable way that not even years past could compare to.
Similar to how Fastpass slowed everything at Disneyland, but now the lines move OK now because there is no Fastpass.

My apologies in advance for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Asus77
I didn't realize the 2pm entry getting down there earlier is a thing, otherwise I'd say that's the best option to go with and I would've bought that ticket to begin with. But now looking at it, I say you just have to re-arrange your game plan a bit. If you have 2pm early entry, def hit EX and TCM first thing, you'll def be done by 6:40ish. My friends ahead of us with it were done for sure by that time and easily could've gone back up top. However, while I didn't miss much -- (we somehow missed the last Terror Tram by about 3 minutes -- there was nothing in the app that said it's final boarding time and I was pretty annoyed about it -- plus with it being gone for so long now at this point, I totally spaced on how that even used to work) -- I still hit most things with 2 hours to spare and time for repeats. What sucked though, is the "big rides" like JW and HP were basically closed, so we kinda just meandered for a bit trying to see which ride lines were worth it.

My new suggested game plan is this:

With 2pm Entry -- Exorcist, TCM, Haunting, Pandora, H4, Tram, Bride (or Pandora at the end, which was 5-30 mins after 1am, if you feel like making the walk again).
With regular early entry -- Exorcist, Haunting, Pandora, H4, Tram, Bride, (Pandora could also go here, again, if you don't mind a walk or if it's too high after Haunting), and then end the night with TCM right before closing so you can hit it in the dark.

I'll be going with my second option from now on with next visits.

I'd also like to mention the few closing times again:
Harry Potter - 11:15
Terror Tram - 11:45
Jurassic World - 12:15 (this is the only closing time I saw signage for)

Reactions: tacalert
With 2pm Entry -- Exorcist, TCM, Haunting, Pandora, H4, Tram, Bride (or Pandora at the end, which was 5-30 mins after 1am, if you feel like making the walk again).
Worth also noting that you can 100% get into the day night combo entry gate if you have a pass that isnt blocked out that day, and they have a kiosk set up right at the front for checking in to get your wristband, when I went it was up by around 4:30 ish.
Will also attest that if you manage to be near the front half of the line for Haunting when it opens, doing pandora right after with next to no wait is the move to make.

I was at the Texas/Arkansas game last night. Covid bothers me not. Already had it last OCT and then vaccinated, lol.