Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

So, fair question: with House of the Year now settled, I wonder what won Scarezone of The Year, and how far Jabba went on GSAT.

A repeat won HotY. Bruh, I’m DEAD.

Im really nervous that the management is gonna be like “Hey, people like repeats! Let’s do more!”

I'm..not totally shocked? I have a feeling had it of been there, the honor would've likely of gone to Beetlejuice. But I'm not shocked Exorcist, a large and still slightly popular IP, won. I don't think there's much to be read into it, especially with this year being a soft year in a way.

Sorry guys, didn’t realize the constant complaining about black walls, repeats, Murdy, and everything else was actually praise.

Im really nervous that the management is gonna be like “Hey, people like repeats! Let’s do more!”
This website when HHN repeats a maze once
giphy.gif

This website when KSF repeats multiple mazes for half a decade

1635736363042.gif

Sorry guys, didn’t realize the constant complaining about black walls, repeats, Murdy, and everything else was actually praise.

giphy.gif

View attachment 15515
Again repeating a Maze full of Black Walls isn't exactly a great thing. And then recycling those some assets and ideas into other mazes just doesn't work. Or reusing Pandora's Box which is one of the cheapest mazes I've ever seen.

I think it's really funny that you point out the Knotts repetitive thing because Horror Nights has been repeating certain tactics like Black Walls and other stuff for the past 4 years. I don't see Knotts repeating Tactics in their New Mazes or using black walls. Aside from Pumpkin Eater Knotts actually repeats Mazes that people like and they improve on the ones people don't. Which is something if Hollywood is going to continue to do repeats in the future needs to take notice of (Ala H4 and Texas).

If you don't like the forums where people are allowed to complain and/or praise the mazes/Zones that are involved with the event. Then I guess just leave?

*Thinks* @HHNManics or @Freak can immediately correct me on this, but when was the last time Hollywood did a unabashed repeat of a maze? It'd have to be a few years since now. Hell, even for repeats of HHN mazes, there are improvements to mazes in place. TCM comes to mind real quick from a visual perspective.

I also think there's a fair place for subjective criticism and feedback, as I know some people may have counteracting opinions on the subject of certain Knotts repeats.

Again repeating a Maze full of Black Walls isn't exactly a great thing. And then recycling those some assets and ideas into other mazes just doesn't work. Or reusing Pandora's Box which is one of the cheapest mazes I've ever seen.

I think it's really funny that you point out the Knotts repetitive thing because Horror Nights has been repeating certain tactics like Black Walls and other stuff for the past 4 years. I don't see Knotts repeating Tactics in their New Mazes or using black walls. Aside from Pumpkin Eater Knotts actually repeats Mazes that people like and they improve on the ones people don't. Which is something if Hollywood is going to continue to do repeats in the future needs to take notice of (Ala H4 and Texas).

If you don't like the forums where people are allowed to complain and/or praise the mazes/Zones that are involved with the event. Then I guess just leave?
KSF doesn’t repeat “tactics” because their tactic is repeats. It’s kinda their entire business model.

But that’s not even the weird thing. Like, HHN brought back The Exorcist, which meets your criteria for A Maze People Like.™️ They barely change a thing; people loved it again this year; and the response here is negative. Knott’s does literally the same exact thing and doesn’t receive any criticism at all. In fact, they’re praised and applauded for it. It makes no sense.

I would rather see familiar elements/material in new contexts and with new presentation than literally doing the same maze year after year after year, and that’s because I like originality, not repetition.

I have no problem with anyone criticizing anything, but part of having an opinion means having your opinion challenged on occasion. As I illustrated above, the judgement here is selective; the criticism is arbitrary; nobody is consistent with their feedback. I’m allowed to call that out just as much as you’re allowed to have the opinion.

Ah, yes. The age-old argument of "You like it when Knott's has all repeats but not HHN?" The answer for my "inconsistent" complaining is simple. Me and many others who feel the same expect more out of HHN. A theme park that that's attached to a major movie studio with all of the assets and budget available to make a quality haunt and has the reputation of doing so (Especially with its sister in Orlando having a world-class event) is going to expect more. Yes, Knott's has been doing it for nearly fifty years, but that's a theme park that's not attached to a big studio and doesn't have the same budget that Universal has. Therefore, we understand it's not possible for them to do eight new Origins or Universal Monsters-calibur mazes. Knott's can only put their money into two really quality mazes.

^I may be wrong (and if I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected, lol), but the first time I remember a literal repeat was when they brought back Alien vs. Predator. And it was odd... it was praised across the board as amazing its first year, and pretty much became a dud when it repeated with no significant changes.
Yup. With HHNH (And especially HHNO) expected to have more new stuff every year, it doesn't help that we haven't had a literal repeat at HHN since AVP in 2015. Six years later, especially after having a year off, excluding TWD, we get two literal repeats that happen to be black-wall heavy (Pandora and Exorcist), two modified repeats (TCM and Halloween 4), the return of the mediocre Terror Tram, leaving us only two new mazes to look forward to. Even then, the best new maze of the event (Which was Bride IMO) had a lot of reused props from the last Monsters mazes. That's really crappy for a major event that has a huge studio and the assets available to put on a quality event. Knott's could only afford to do one new maze this year and for what we expect for that event, it was really good! At least in the effects and scenic department it was. Oh, and unlike the major movie studio event, they have almost no black walls.

Look, if you enjoyed this year's event, that's great! I'm glad you had a good time! But I can't help but notice that the same people that are Murdy apologists and that defend the event's weaknesses are the same people that haven't been to Orlando's event (Or at least know of). I've had the privilege of getting to check out six different years of the event over there. The different scare tactics, the scenic, the amount of effort they put into the houses and scarezones is night and day, especially this year. I don't expect the event to be as "big" as Orlando or even be as elaborate. But when you see how much better they do everything over there, I can't help but get frustrated about what this event could be. If they focused a lot more on reducing the quantity of the mazes (Like no more than six mazes MAX), and put a lot more money into improving the houses and scarezones and thinking of different scares, the event would be worlds better. Alas, when you have almost every night selling out for the most lazy year I've seen at HHN in a long time, you can't help but wonder if they feel any need to improve. The crowds were vast this year, but I've seen a lot of comments from the GP how poor of a value it was this year for them. I've seen comments on FB from bad lines to not "scary enough". I think the GP are catching on, they just don't know how to articulate it as well as we can on here.

Although this year was a one-and-done for me (First time since 2010 I've only gone once in a year!) I usually like going back because HHN usually has some killer set design and have the best scares. I didn't enjoy this year that much personally. Part of the reason why I liked going multiple times was knowing that the houses you saw this year were not likely to return. Bride was great, Hill House and TCM were good, everything else was either "bleh" or just okay. It also doesn't help when you see home haunts and even other major haunts (ahem, HoS at SWSD!) have a better variety and more creative scares than HHN does. I can only take so much of some guy jumping out of a black box in a black wall hallway before I just get tired of it.

So yeah. Apologies for my mega-long post, but after being able to go to Orlando's event so many times and even getting to see other local-ish haunts, it's frustrating to see the event slip into mediocrity with no real incentive to change that. I hope and pray that the highers ups realize the event was successful solely because of the pent-up demand from the lack of an event last year. I remember talking to Murdy years ago around the early 2010's and he literally said "I could bring back Freddy Kruger every year and people would still flock to the event." I really hope they focus on getting some new IPs and new ideas next year, but more importantly, a total reshaping of how the event is done. The event needs some new blood and new ideas badly. Again, I'm not bashing anyone who enjoyed this year and went multiple times, but if you want the event to improve, demand it and speak with your wallets.

Ah, yes. The age-old argument of "You like it when Knott's has all repeats but not HHN?" The answer for my "inconsistent" complaining is simple. Me and many others who feel the same expect more out of HHN. A theme park that that's attached to a major movie studio with all of the assets and budget available to make a quality haunt and has the reputation of doing so (Especially with its sister in Orlando having a world-class event) is going to expect more. Yes, Knott's has been doing it for nearly fifty years, but that's a theme park that's not attached to a big studio and doesn't have the same budget that Universal has. Therefore, we understand it's not possible for them to do eight new Origins or Universal Monsters-calibur mazes. Knott's can only put their money into two really quality mazes.

Yup. With HHNH (And especially HHNO) expected to have more new stuff every year, it doesn't help that we haven't had a literal repeat at HHN since AVP in 2015. Six years later, especially after having a year off, excluding TWD, we get two literal repeats that happen to be black-wall heavy (Pandora and Exorcist), two modified repeats (TCM and Halloween 4), the return of the mediocre Terror Tram, leaving us only two new mazes to look forward to. Even then, the best new maze of the event (Which was Bride IMO) had a lot of reused props from the last Monsters mazes. That's really crappy for a major event that has a huge studio and the assets available to put on a quality event. Knott's could only afford to do one new maze this year and for what we expect for that event, it was really good! At least in the effects and scenic department it was. Oh, and unlike the major movie studio event, they have almost no black walls.

Look, if you enjoyed this year's event, that's great! I'm glad you had a good time! But I can't help but notice that the same people that are Murdy apologists and that defend the event's weaknesses are the same people that haven't been to Orlando's event (Or at least know of). I've had the privilege of getting to check out six different years of the event over there. The different scare tactics, the scenic, the amount of effort they put into the houses and scarezones is night and day, especially this year. I don't expect the event to be as "big" as Orlando or even be as elaborate. But when you see how much better they do everything over there, I can't help but get frustrated about what this event could be. If they focused a lot more on reducing the quantity of the mazes (Like no more than six mazes MAX), and put a lot more money into improving the houses and scarezones and thinking of different scares, the event would be worlds better. Alas, when you have almost every night selling out for the most lazy year I've seen at HHN in a long time, you can't help but wonder if they feel any need to improve. The crowds were vast this year, but I've seen a lot of comments from the GP how poor of a value it was this year for them. I've seen comments on FB from bad lines to not "scary enough". I think the GP are catching on, they just don't know how to articulate it as well as we can on here.

Although this year was a one-and-done for me (First time since 2010 I've only gone once in a year!) I usually like going back because HHN usually has some killer set design and have the best scares. I didn't enjoy this year that much personally. Part of the reason why I liked going multiple times was knowing that the houses you saw this year were not likely to return. Bride was great, Hill House and TCM were good, everything else was either "bleh" or just okay. It also doesn't help when you see home haunts and even other major haunts (ahem, HoS at SWSD!) have a better variety and more creative scares than HHN does. I can only take so much of some guy jumping out of a black box in a black wall hallway before I just get tired of it.

So yeah. Apologies for my mega-long post, but after being able to go to Orlando's event so many times and even getting to see other local-ish haunts, it's frustrating to see the event slip into mediocrity with no real incentive to change that. I hope and pray that the highers ups realize the event was successful solely because of the pent-up demand from the lack of an event last year. I remember talking to Murdy years ago around the early 2010's and he literally said "I could bring back Freddy Kruger every year and people would still flock to the event." I really hope they focus on getting some new IPs and new ideas next year, but more importantly, a total reshaping of how the event is done. The event needs some new blood and new ideas badly. Again, I'm not bashing anyone who enjoyed this year and went multiple times, but if you want the event to improve, demand it and speak with your wallets.
If the argument is "HHN has a higher standard and could do more with their resources," then I'm fully on board and agree with that completely. I've banged that drum for years -- it's why I wish they'd completely give up on originals and focus on the concept of brining movies and other IP to life -- i.e., the entire idea behind the theme park in the first place.

But be real, you're making that argument now after comparing HHN to KSF for months. KSF is not HHN; HHN is not KSF. Making HHN more like KSF would diminish the quality, and vice versa. Criticize HHN all you want, but do so on the event's terms, not on another event's terms -- including Orlando's HHN.

Admittedly, I'm one of those people who's never been to their event, but not only have I met plenty of people from there who visit L.A., I also spend plenty of time in other communities and the most consistent thing I hear is, "Yeah, Orlando has more detail and scenery but this is way more scary and intense." That sentiment has been expressed here multiple times, as well. Folks from Orlando seem to wish their event was more like Hollywood's in that and a few other aspects.

The point is, there's always a tradeoff somewhere, and thinking the grass is always greener is just lame, IMO.

I was quite impressed with KSF as a first timer. I was also impressed by HHNH’s aggressive talent this year. I think it boils down to, “Knott’s doesn’t have butter beer money!” When you see the resources given to Orlando, it’s mind boogling to see the corners Hollywood cuts. KSF has far less resources but are able to invest in their haunts. I’m easily going to KSF again next year.

I was quite impressed with KSF as a first timer. I was also impressed by HHNH’s aggressive talent this year. I think it boils down to, “Knott’s doesn’t have butter beer money!” When you see the resources given to Orlando, it’s mind boogling to see the corners Hollywood cuts. KSF has far less resources but are able to invest in their haunts. I’m easily going to KSF again next year.
I hope I'm not coming across as anti-KSF. That event is a standard-bearer in its own right and deserves every ounce of credit it gets. But there's a reason you loved it as a first-timer compared to someone like me, who's been ever year since 2012. It's a very repetitive experience year over year, and I'm just fatigued by it at this point. IMO, though, people give way too much credit to how much they invest in their haunts. Pumpkin Eater and Dark Entities and Paranormal Entities are falling apart at the seams -- there's a reason the mazes are so poorly lit.

KSF doesn't invest in their haunts as much as they run them into the ground and then use the money they saved to build a new maze or two. But that works for them! They build incredible stuff, it's just a different MO than HHN, which strives for (but doesn't always achieve) new experiences with each iteration of the event.

I hope I'm not coming across as anti-KSF. That event is a standard-bearer in its own right and deserves every ounce of credit it gets. But there's a reason you loved it as a first-timer compared to someone like me, who's been ever year since 2012. It's a very repetitive experience year over year, and I'm just fatigued by it at this point. IMO, though, people give way too much credit to how much they invest in their haunts. Pumpkin Eater and Dark Entities and Paranormal Entities are falling apart at the seams -- there's a reason the mazes are so poorly lit.

KSF doesn't invest in their haunts as much as they run them into the ground and then use the money they saved to build a new maze or two. But that works for them! They build incredible stuff, it's just a different MO than HHN, which strives for (but doesn't always achieve) new experiences with each iteration of the event.

IDK which I’d prefer: longer mazes that are fully designed and decorated that are left up for several years or new mazes every year consisting of empty space and black walls. It’s too bad HHNH can’t design houses like KSF and HHNO can. I do have to say, I noticed several things at KSF HHNO has directly ripped off in recent years.

IDK which I’d prefer: longer mazes that are fully designed and decorated that are left up for several years or new mazes every year consisting of empty space and black walls. It’s too bad HHNH can’t design houses like KSF and HHNO can. I do have to say, I noticed several things at KSF HHNO has directly ripped off in recent years.
KSF is innovative, there's no question. Just wish there was more variety year over year. My first walkthrough of Dark Ride (2017) is my favorite KSF experience ever. The idea, the execution, the design, the actors -- everything hit on such a fun and unique level. In 2021, that maze has lost all of its magic for me and it's kind of a bummer that the freshest memory I have is it being monotonous with barely any actors around and showing its age. (And not the parts that are supposed to appear aged, lol.)

But I digress.

KSF is innovative, there's no question. Just wish there was more variety year over year. My first walkthrough of Dark Ride (2017) is my favorite KSF experience ever. The idea, the execution, the design, the actors -- everything hit on such a fun and unique level. In 2021, that maze has lost all of its magic for me and it's kind of a bummer that the freshest memory I have is it being monotonous with barely any actors around and showing its age. (And not the parts that are supposed to appear aged, lol.)

But I digress.
I believe that additionally has to do with cutting talent after a mazes debut, since KSF mazes will commonly feel deader than HHN due to a lack of actors, despite better design at Knotts full stop imo.

Heres hoping when they (inevitably) take that idea away from this, they at least repeat some better mazes.
Killer Klowns or Krampus repeats when?
Though jokes aside if theyre gonna do it, and theyre not gonna repeat great mazes, I'd hope theyd at least take a crack at ones that didn't reach their full potential the first time. Like I'd honestly be ok with a Trick r Treat repeat at this point if it got the H4 treatment.

Heres hoping when they (inevitably) take that idea away from this, they at least repeat some better mazes.
Killer Klowns or Krampus repeats when?
Though jokes aside if theyre gonna do it, and theyre not gonna repeat great mazes, I'd hope theyd at least take a crack at ones that didn't reach their full potential the first time. Like I'd honestly be ok with a Trick r Treat repeat at this point if it got the H4 treatment.
Dude, they practically wasted Trick r Treat. I was absolutely flabbergasted by how the majority of the house was just black walls. Like, did Murdy not give a crap at all about how desired the IP was? That is the only IP I wouldn’t mind seeing get brought back to be done right. It was boarder line insulting how that IP was treated at Hollywood.

It's all just a different way to approach budgets. KSF puts all it's budget to 1-3 new mazes so they can be really elaborate and well made, but at the expense of repeating old mazes. HHN chooses (mostly) to create all new mazes every year, spreading their budget so thin that black walls are inevitable.

Really, IMO, we should stop comparing the two and instead be thankful they each have taken a different approach, so that we as guests get the best (and worst) of both worlds. It strangely allows them to co-exist nicely.