Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is dedicated to all Speculation & Rumors for this year's Halloween Horror Nights 2024 event at Universal Studios Hollywood.

As always, we ask that all speculation come from realistic expectations and adds to the discussion. Please keep discussions about wishful thinking/dream properties to the HHN Wish List threads. Official news will be shared on the News & Info thread.

We will be monitoring this thread very closely. We understand the appeal of a new speculation season and everyone is antsy to start talking about what's next. At the same time, we don't want the threads to devolve into chaos. We kindly ask you to please respect the guidelines of discussion so we can avoid locking discussions.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER:
This thread contains discussion centered around rumors and sometimes could include baseless speculation, and should be treated as such. Posts are not confirmations. Any official announcements for HHN will be shared on our main site, InsideUniversal.net

Finally
Freddy Fazbear Spost GIF

According to John Murdy on our tour, there will be a Latin America themed house in this location for the foreseeable future as it blends in with the nearby Día De Los Muertos area, which also means the scare zone outside of the house will continue to be amazing. But more on that later.
Gonna casually bring this up for the future of Parisian! (Sourced by ParkJourney~)

Reactions: saint.piss
Murdy has dropped some 2024 hints before these forums opened, particularly on social media. Some of this could be a good place to start speculation, so here’s a list of most of them:
  • John Murdy mentioned on Twitter a meeting in a super secret location for a super secret meeting with a super secret person about a super secret property for 2024
  • The theme for Terror Tram has already been decided
  • In response to “So will T-Pad act as a “returning house location for the next few years?”’ Murdy replied: “No, it’s not gonna be for 2024.”
  • In response to “Hoildayz started as a scare zone and became a house. Any chance All Hallows Evil does the same?” Murdy responded: “Maybe one day… have another one right now.”
  • House #1 - Original - 91 pages - some of Murdy's research included “Borax,” Quonset Hut Design,” “Cryogenic Freezers,” Bible verses from “Proverbs,” and “Sir Galahad.” For the Bible verses, he specifically read Proverbs 16 18-20
  • House #2 - IP - 107 pages
  • House #3 - Original - “Have to hit the books.” At 22 pages in, Murdy hasn’t gotten to the facade.
Welcome back to seasons, folks!

As to do my guessing game..

Put Money on It:
- Five Nights at Freddy's (The film is aiming to become Universal's highest grossing Horror Film since the pandemic began; and the 10th year anniversary of the IP is next year. Even with no sequel immediately in sight; Striking while the iron is hot feels like the more sure fire answer to consider).
- The Purge: Dangerous Waters (an updated show to match the 2024 Political Election climate)
- Original Latin American House in Parisian Courtyard (in previous post, Murdy has indicated that Parisian will maintain the spot as an original venue for Latin American stories. Honestly I'd love a Comedy House with the festival itself)

Reasonable Thinking:
- The Weeknd (Producers affiliated to Abel have already confirmed of a North American 2024 tour happening, it's just a matter of when. Additionally, by then; the final album for The Weeknd plus the Schults film led by Abel, Jenna Ortega, and Barry Keoghan should be out [and that it's rumored to be a horror film based on Weeknd losing his voice])
- Silent Hill (Return to Silent Hill finished production before the strikes began for the SAG-AFTRA, and Silent Hill 2-Make will be out by the time of Halloween Horror Nights. Murdy has indicated before that he wouldn't mind going back to the IP--and I think it makes sense on a marketing front).
- Nosferatu (Coloring thought I know, but hear me out. In 2024, it is expected that Focus Features will be debuting the Robert Eggers take on that of the classical Vampyrical tale. I think if Murdy is going to do it, now is the time and I can see it as a chance to have him work with an Art House director like Eggers)
- Ghostbusters (Some might be surprised but I think it's honestly more than possible. Merchandise wise, Ghostbusters is still a powerhouse; and they will be thriving with that of Frozen Empire releasing when it is. I also think the fact Frozen Empire is set specifically in NY allows them to also have a chance to repurpose ideas and elements from the original 2019 house).

As for other things to do a quick lightning round:
- I think 9 Houses is an option (If they continue to intend on using SS22 for the foreseeable future; I think it's not at all impossible to consider if they can use the adjacent Soundstage 20 for a 9th house.)
- Super Nintendo World opens fully during HHN (Chris G spoke on it in the past, but SNW is not an issue for whether or not it can open during HHN. I genuinely think they need it, because of the capacity Mario Kart gives)
- DreamWorks Theater will stay open (With DWT used this year for what I'd call a horror version of The NBCUniversal Experience; I think bringing back DWT feels like a good play. Whether or not they can do something filmed now that is custom for the park, or something improved of a Behind The Screams--I think is a good question to consider).

Last edited:
And so the madness begins! Good to see everyone again I’ll post my early spec map later but first I wanna talk about that first original murdy was talking about in a tweet and why I believe it’s urban inferno. It checks all the boxes in Murdy’s clue you got the knights right there for sir Galahad you got the sins of man from the proverbs. The borax could’ve been him researching a borax mine and that’s what hell could look like. The cryogenic freezing research could be for like “hell freezing over” at some point in the house like how in our old Alice cooper house hell was a frozen wasteland. The hut thing could just be a lab where they built a portal to hell idk ‍♂️ that could be our facade.

Attachments

• IMG_6295.png
    IMG_6295.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6292.jpeg
    IMG_6292.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6931.jpeg
    IMG_6931.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 6
plankton GIF

Oh it feels so good to back!

Here’s what I’m thinking:

- For Classic Monsters, they pretty much did all the monsters covered in the 2018 maze. The only one left is the Creature From the Black Lagoon. Bonus if they include Metaluna Mutant and Mole Man for 50’s theme. Seriously, what’s the hold up with that guy?

- With Blumhouse, I still have yet to see the movie but I am 90% confidant that FNAF is given.

- Probably another Latin folklore original considering how well Monsturos did. Leaning Chupacabra, but then again it can be anything.

- The Weeknd Dawn FM maze in Singapore may have opened the door for a possible sequel here. North American tour next year will help compliment that, and perhaps use this maze as a way to promote his final album as a teaser.

- Silent Hill 2 as a way to continue the video game adaption thanks to TLOU along with next film to come out next year, even the remake. Murdy has even expressed his interest in the IP before.

- And of course, obligatory The Thing maze in my spec list.

That’s all I can think about at the moment. Wonder if they’ll ever try to change something with NOPE set on Terror Tram. Hoping backlot will be open and Nintendo as well, if they learned anything about this years crowding issues.

Reactions: TableYe and Freak
Wrote this a few weeks back, so it's a little old for the purposes of entirely up to date accuracy, but this is a list I put together of things that logically make sense to be at the event next year and an overly detailed explanation for why I think they have a shot;

-Five Nights at Freddy’s
The big kahuna, the obvious choice, and the prime thing I would consider a shoo-in for next year. There’s absolutely no excuse, it’s a perfect storm. The franchise will be turning 10 years old, we’re still hot off the heels of an incredibly successful film adaptation that broke blumhouse records and most likely has a sequel on the way, new games are still coming out, and we just had the most animatronic heavy year in horror nights history, this is absolutely happening. In the past, Murdy has expressed that it seemed to be an impossible property, as it would be objectively pretty awful for any performers to have to bake in those mascot suits for long stretches of time. Now though, we have Chucky to look to, between being predominantly animatronic focused, and arguably even in the giga-chucky suit, you can see the groundwork laid that finally makes this possible. My guess, a solid 80% of the cast will be blackout performers activating the animatronics via triggers, just like chucky, and a majority of the rest of the cast would be human characters like Afton, or would be positioned in boo holes in such a way that you can have them only wearing the top half of an animatronic suit, which has been done before in other mazes to keep talent cool. There’s no way they’re letting this slip through their fingers. Only real question to be asked is whether it would be based on the movie, or take the last of us root and base it on the games despite the popular adaptation.
[ADDITION: Having seen some of the discussion about FNAF becoming a permanent addition to the park, I don’t think that’s gonna happen, I don't know where they’d reasonably put it unless they wanna uproot Panda Express or something, but I don’t see it happening. Scott Cawthon has been vocally against the creation of a real Freddy Fazbears due to his concerns that someone might actually try to kill someone there, and generally being uncomfortable with the prospect. Obviously, that’s far less likely at a theme park where security is a lot stronger, but I just don’t see it happening. Most I could expect is the lower lot pop up Surfer Boy Pizza location being used as a “Freddy Fazbear’s Express” type similar pop up. That said, Scott Cawthon has taken no issue with Freddy’s themed haunted houses, as Fright Dome in Vegas had one as far back as 2015, and there’s currently one in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to promote the new movie.]

-Silent Hill
A lot less likely, and I’m not sure if they’re quite ready to have two video game based properties as headliners despite Last of Us’ success, but this would be the time to bring it back if any. Silent Hill 2 is getting a remake, the movie requel is expected next year, and there's a slate of new games on the way as well. It would absolutely make sense for them to do a Silent Hill 2 focused maze in parallel with the film, a la Last of Us, but at the same time, especially after their last attempt, something really nags at me and makes me think this would probably just be based on the film, which frankly I really don’t have confidence in. I think this is totally possible, but also I think we could land in a “be careful what you wish for” territory with it.

-Some Return of Monstruos
I think this is another given. It’s possible they’ll return to doing individually focused mazes for Latin American legends, but honestly I wouldn’t bet on it, I think we’re keeping this anthology format with a new set of legends for next year, probably in the same location too. Frankly I could see new iterations of this coming until at least 2025 before they take a new angle, I have no idea how it did on GSATs but it’s a clear fan favorite and was in contention for maze of the year among many. [ADDITION: This was written before it was stated by Murdy that this ended up being house of the year, so consider this further reason to consider it a possibility, if anything. :) ] Honestly I don’t know how they didn’t latch onto this sooner, many legends all over the world are designed specifically to terrify kids, and a lot go way darker than you’d expect from an adaptation of media or a game where it’s being specifically designed for a mass market and has to adhere to an age rating and content system. Basing a maze on folklore immediately hits that chocolate and peanut butter combo of appealing to base childhood fears that will immediately connect to your audience, and really being able to go all out with gruesome concepts that aren’t possible elsewhere in your lineup. You’re not exactly seeing baby eating vulture witches in any recent movies they might adapt.

-Exterminatorz
More of a personal wish than anything, but I really expect this to happen. People were pretty lukewarm on the tram, but honestly I feel like this concept connected with a lot of general audiences on a “ew bugs gross” level, and larry larva is a goofy memorable character. Not to mention the VIP mini maze basically feeling like a soft test run to see how it would function, and the fact that factory/sewer scenes are nothing new to the event so it would really be pretty easy to achieve. Frame it as a tour through Exterminatorz headquarters that goes awry, have us escape through the sewers, and end with the exterminatorz causing havoc in a city or something. It tackles a common fear, using an original concept they already entirely own, the potential gags kinda just naturally start flowing the more you think about it, and with Bugs in Orlando being a big fan favorite they already have proof that there is demand. It seems like this would be extremely easy for them to do without needing intensive financial investment, and honestly wouldn’t be hard to get creative with and have a really fun execution despite the low need for splurging, it would be really weird if we don’t see this.

-Gremlins
Similar to FNAF, chucky really seems prototypical here for me. Not a ton to say because it feels like it speaks for itself pretty heavily, but Murdy’s major protest with doing this in the past was that he didn’t know how to achieve the effects faithfully, the same issue he had with chucky, but now there’s really no excuse. The only major hurdles as I see them are whether WB wants to play ball, but given all the rumors that Universal intends to purchase them outright I think that’s quickly becoming much less of a concern. The real question would be if Orlando is willing to step up to bat for this property, as their Chucky lacked the technical prowess that makes Gremlins seem like such a likely prospect on our coast. That said though, I think they’d be willing to try, and even if we don’t see this next year I think it's guaranteed it will pop up in the future.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Here's to another year!

In terms of things coming out next year, we have another Blumhouse movie, Night Swim, which feels like a natural pairing with M3gan for Blumhouse: Vol 4, featuring Uni's newest shiny filmmaker partnership, Atomic Monster.

There's also Beetlejuice 2, the Radio Silence Dracula's Daughter movie, and Nosferatu, so look out for those as potential tie-in houses.

"Quonset Huts," "Borax" and "Cryogenic Freezer" all sound very 1950s/Area 51, so potentially a 50s Alien House (potentially a new sort of Universal Monster maze, tying in with the 50s alien flicks) or perhaps Exterminatorz.

"Hitting the books" sounds like Universal Monsters (does Murdy count those as Original?), and 22 pages before the facade lines up with the elaborate narration that usually goes with them.

And knowing nothing else, "super secret person" sounds like Scott Cawthorn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freak and Jaden
I'm guessing Chucky repeats with one or two new scenes.

Chucky coming back is something I wondered on too. It feels like a potential AVP, in a house that you spent so much on financially that you might need to bring it back to get the money worth in investment.

Honestly though--I wouldn't mind if they roped the Chucky AA's with Universal Monsters, to make some kind of a "Dueling Dragons" like house with the House of Horrors attraction that is now defunct. I'd imagine a repeat could be cheaper; but I'd not mind a revisit to the idea that lasted the longest for a horror walkthrough attraction at USH.

Reactions: marip123 and Freak
Heres my spec map for Hollywood 2024
I don’t think 9 houses is the best idea but I feel like it might happen just seeing the insane amount of crowds Hollywood gets, almost every night is sold out. I know it seems a bit wish list but I put a lot of thought into it so let’s break it down.

Disclaimer: this is literally all from my head and stuff murdy has said I don’t have any sources or anything obviously

H1. An American Werewolf in London-It’s gonna be a decade since Hollywood had this house which makes it prime for a comeback. The werewolf puppets have been reused every year that I’ve gone to the event EXCEPT this year which makes me think that those puppets are gonna come back as good as new next year

H2. El cucuy- Latin originals are doing really well for Hollywood and it’s been 11 years since the first el cucuy house and I think it’s time for him to come back I’m also kinda biased cause I really want this one to come back

H3.Scream- yeah yeah I know but look the strike delayed scream 7 into 2025 probably and paramount wanted a scream movie every year so what better to keep the franchise relevant in people’s minds than with an HHN house I feel like paramount would be more willing to play ball at this point in time.

H4. Puppet Theater- Murdy said he had to do heavy research for an original this year and my mind went back to scarecrow and the amount of research Murdy had to do on the dust bowl. With puppet theater taking place in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake I feel like murdy can really sink his teeth into that

H5.silent hill- murdy said he’d be down to do this one again. Franchise is coming back in a big way next year i think it could happen it’d make sense

H6.five nights at Freddy’s- nuff said

H7.Urban Inferno-Matches with all the clues murdy gave for that first original he was working on

H8.Ghostbusters- empire of ice comes out next March which means we’ve got 1.5 new movies to make a house out of I think that’s enough

H9. Universal Monsters- I think Orlando is gonna do a prequel to the epic universe attraction as their big finale for their monsters houses and I think Murdy will want to wrap it up in a bow with the return of the 2018 house with maybe a few surprises along the way.

TT-Monkeypaw- I think they wanna promote Jordan peeles next movie and like the fact they picked terror teams theme so early on makes me think it’s an ip

E1.purge dangerous waters- this show is good and I hope it comes back better next year there’s some improvements you can make to evolve the show for sure

E2.Hollywood Harry: an original show in dreamworks theater idk I feel like the venue can be more than just trailers and then dancing
IMG_6707.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: saint.piss
Oh yeah that's a good point: Jordan Peele has two movies out next year (one directed, one produced), and he loooooves theme parks. The release dates don't really work for a tie-in house with his movie, since that one comes out after the event, but I would expect some kind of presence. Possibly a Blumhouse-style mashup house?

Reactions: HydraGen2299
I’ll say my predictions

- Latin American House (duh)
- Video Game House (Echoing what others have said; I think this is gonna be Silent Hill)
- The Thing (speculation - Murdy’s wanted to do it. Success of Chucky + expanded budget)
- Exterminatorz
- Blumhouse v. 3.0/ Five Nights at Freddy’s (maybe there could be two video game houses)
- Dracula or Mummy house. A B&W monster house would be amazing.

Just my thoughts though.

Last edited:
Murdy has dropped some 2024 hints before these forums opened, particularly on social media. Some of this could be a good place to start speculation, so here’s a list of most of them:
  • John Murdy mentioned on Twitter a meeting in a super secret location for a super secret meeting with a super secret person about a super secret property for 2024
  • The theme for Terror Tram has already been decided
  • In response to “So will T-Pad act as a “returning house location for the next few years?”’ Murdy replied: “No, it’s not gonna be for 2024.”
  • In response to “Hoildayz started as a scare zone and became a house. Any chance All Hallows Evil does the same?” Murdy responded: “Maybe one day… have another one right now.”
  • House #1 - Original - 91 pages - some of Murdy's research included “Borax,” Quonset Hut Design,” “Cryogenic Freezers,” Bible verses from “Proverbs,” and “Sir Galahad.” For the Bible verses, he specifically read Proverbs 16 18-20
  • House #2 - IP - 107 pages
  • House #3 - Original - “Have to hit the books.” At 22 pages in, Murdy hasn’t gotten to the facade.
Welcome back to seasons, folks!

I'd be paying close attention to this post, folks.

I'd be paying close attention to this post, folks.

Food for thought--but perhaps it can be threadmarked? Seems like the kind of post to threadmark.

And so the madness begins! Good to see everyone again I’ll post my early spec map later but first I wanna talk about that first original murdy was talking about in a tweet and why I believe it’s urban inferno. It checks all the boxes in Murdy’s clue you got the knights right there for sir Galahad you got the sins of man from the proverbs. The borax could’ve been him researching a borax mine and that’s what hell could look like. The cryogenic freezing research could be for like “hell freezing over” at some point in the house like how in our old Alice cooper house hell was a frozen wasteland. The hut thing could just be a lab where they built a portal to hell idk ‍♂️ that could be our facade.

Also think people need to not sleep on this thought either.

Last edited:
"Quonset Huts," "Borax" and "Cryogenic Freezer" all sound very 1950s/Area 51, so potentially a 50s Alien House (potentially a new sort of Universal Monster maze, tying in with the 50s alien flicks).
NGL, the confirmation bias in me is wanting to leans towards this and it makes sense to have it be Universal Monsters. Scientists find Gillman, Metaluna, Moleman and a crashed UFO containing the alien (It Came from Outer Space!)and are trying to run experiments. All hell breaks loose as the creatures are freed.

Of course, there’s Urban Inferno that Hydra mentions which also makes sense as well.

NGL, the confirmation bias in me is wanting to leans towards this and it makes sense to have it be Universal Monsters. Scientists find Gillman, Metaluna, Moleman and a crashed UFO containing the alien (It Came from Outer Space!)and are trying to run experiments. All hell breaks loose as the creatures are freed.

Of course, there’s Urban Inferno that Hydra mentions which also makes sense as well.
I wish it was monsters but murdy considers those IPs and the house for those clues is an original I am like 80% sure he was talking about urban inferno it fits with all the clues and it was also a zone so like it checks that box too. A lot of costumes and props could be reused, it works.