Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Reviews & Photos

Express is a must especially if you are only going one night.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought CITW was great. I will agree that the elevator scene could have had more monsters coming out. But overall I did not think it was over rated and represented the movie very well. As with every house, depending on how many scare actors and how crowded it is will determine how many times you get a scare.

In a word, yes. Last night the unpopular houses got up to 75+ minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

^ this. When a house is far better on the daylight tour than fully staffed at night, it's an issue. I still like CitW, particularly the facade and the basement scenes, but I agree more actors and more variety in monsters in the back half would improve it greatly.

Cabin just feels incomplete to me. I get a feeling like if a haunted house was being built but not finished.

Cabin just feels incomplete to me. I get a feeling like if a haunted house was being built but not finished.

It's not really a bad house per se...it's just a wasted opportunity considering all they had to work with. Literally nothing was off-limits in this house. They had the opportunity to go all out, and completely out of control. Instead, they gave us a few dingy props and a couple of scareactors. I really enjoyed this house, but it didn't do its property justice like AWiL and Evil Dead did, and the fact that the actors really have upped the ante in scares in the Evil Dead the past few weeks puts Evil Dead right behind AWiL for me, and Cabin tied for third with La Llorona. It's a shame because this really could've been a house for the ages.

If any one of you are near a tv, The Ellen show is sending two of her most easily scared staff through one of the haunts at HHN Hollywood. Should be a hoot and if you unable to catch the show, the clip should be up on her website.

I totally forgot to provide my ranking. I couldn't make up my mind, so...

- American Werewolf in London
- Cabin in the Woods / Evil Dead
- The Walking Dead / Afterlife
- La Llarona
- Havoc

My rankings

American werewolf in london
The Walking Dead
Evil Dead
La llorona
Havoc

didnt do the other two :bonk:

I have a question to anyone who may know the answer or think they do..

if there is ONE MAJOR complaint i can apply towards this years event is the overly used exit strategy when attending the houses in the stages.. they ALL lead to the same exit all the way to by the back of twister.. this proves to be a major pain specially when you start the houses in a counter clock wise rotation... as i did due to it being the Annual pass holder event (Sept 28) and usually less crowds for the first couple of houses when you do so.. it created a much longer distance when you continue to exit the houses in the same location. any one understand where im coming from or feel the same way towards this strategy they used this year? i have been to just about every event in the past 10 years or so and cant recall ever having to use this same route/strategy. Any idea why they used this?

It would have been nice to have two separate exits to choose from in case you wanted to go to resident evil or ctiw. But not sure if it would be logistically possible.

I agree that could've been handled a little better... But if the difference between an 8th house is a more convenient path and this, I will gladly take this.

Completely agree the way the soundstage exits were implementing was a total mess. I honestly didn't see it coming and decided to start from Werwolf first and little did I know i would be walking back and forth up and down production central.

My rankings...

American Werwolf and Cabin in the woods took the top spot this year in my opinion La llorona and Walking Dead were the weakest. Sorry universal but a house about zombies isn't scary when u have them walking around the streets already it got very repetitious. Props to Rocky Horror Tribute great cast and audience participation was on cue! Hopefully universal brings it back next year made my night!

I'm surprised to hear such lukewarm to negative reception for La Llorona...I loved it. Any reason why you all who hated it felt that way (without comparing it to Hollywood which is unfair IMO)?

I'm surprised to hear such lukewarm to negative reception for La Llorona...I loved it. Any reason why you all who hated it felt that way (without comparing it to Hollywood which is unfair IMO)?

I really enjoyed the house and it's probably gonna finish in the 3 or 4 spot for me. Also want to point out that this is the weakest of the three versions IMO.

BY no means did I hate it (was the only house we did twice) but my only complaint is that from the white tunnel scene and beyond made no sense whatsoever. Had I not known I was in her lair I would never have guessed. Other than that I was to busy jumping out of my shoes to worry about it lol

La Llorona is fourth on my list. I did enjoy it, but found it to be a bit of a disappointment at the same time. Phenomenal set work, especially in the first rooms, but I felt the house overall was a bit disorganized and confusing in its setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the white tunnel scene is your descent underwater right?

Completely agree the way the soundstage exits were implementing was a total mess. I honestly didn't see it coming and decided to start from Werwolf first and little did I know i would be walking back and forth up and down production central.

My rankings...

the exits this year were atrocious...

- - - Updated - - -

well... recycled stuff (being here reminded me of Forsaken and made me realize how much I liked that house)recycled props, some rooms looked the same to me, costumes were okay but nothing amazing. weak ending... (I know Catacombs didn't have much variety either but that house was a lot better.
I expected to see more from this house to be honest. Better decorations or something.

I like llorona a lot more than Afterlife, but I would only do the house if everything else had long lines. Nothing about the house made me want to come back or anything (besides for the entrance) Besides compared to the other houses this year llorona feels underwhelming.

Overall the house was aesthetically pleasing (something which most houses this year shared) but the scares were lacking in this one. Parts I liked were the outside facade very nice with the lighting effect. but other than that the sacred weren't there the house felt like it could have done a lot more with the Llorona myth. on a side note i haven't been to the Hollywood version so wouldn't be able to judge based on that.

Last edited:
Kind of disappointed I didn't get more pictures this year, but alas, work consumes my soul.

10529103414_8ff0f7e1fe_z.jpg

10529120294_65fc7b2a84.jpg

10529264613_74f06f5f19_z.jpg