Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyways, back to topic...

I hadn't thought about them having to close both of the parks at 5. Don't they normally close at 6 in the off-season anyway? I was thinking a single ticket for both, and not needing a 2-park ticket. They could close off both Potter areas, and sell the ticket under the assumption that it won't be possible for someone to see everything in one night, thus requiring a second full priced day to see it all. Also price increase with less days on the Frequent Fear Pass.

The clientele has changed a lot too - much younger people, less drinking overall - so they'll need to rely on ticket sales. One of my former co-workers was telling me that last year was the first year that alcohol + merchandise sales during HHN didn't make more money than alcohol + merchandise sales during the day, and admission costs barely covered the cost of the event itself. Word was that Comcast overlords were questioning the worth of putting on the event vs keeping the park open additional hours and making the same revenue. I haven't heard anything on this year's numbers though.

Knowing that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if HHN moved to something more like the Halloween Party down the road in a few years. Less houses, more meet and greets, less R&D costs, and bring in more families. I know we all like to think that this event will always be around, but for those of us who have been going to HHN for a long time there has already been a huge change in the way the event was vs. currently.

This year they closed the studios at 5pm and kept DA and all of IOA open until 8pm for day guests. This is the best of both worlds as they are still getting the Potter and other merchandise sales from the day guests and getting HHN merchandise sales from the nights guests. Given what you heard about last year, and the addition of Potter, it seems like they found a way to strike a balance between getting merchandise sales out of both day and night guests.

Also, they have pulled a clever trick where they can possibly get a normal day guest with a one park ticket to upgrade to a dual park ticket just to have more time in the parks. The advantage of that is great as it is just one extra little way to get someone who may not have upgraded their ticket to spend a little more money.

The reasons against doing a two park event again seem more numerous to me than the reasons to do a two park event, so I do not see it happening.

I posted this elsewhere, but I will post it again here for posterity:

"I doubt a two park event will ever happen. There are so many x-factors that it just hardly seems possible, practical, or profitable.

Look at it this way, with a one park event they are able to keep IOA and DA open for regular day guests until 8pm without any HHN people intruding. These types of guests most likely came specifically for the parks and have zero interest in HHN so they are buying merchandise tailor made to their in park experience.

While HHN does good numbers, the most crowded nights recently have been ROF and FFP nights meaning that a lot of people have caught onto the value of those tickets. The type of ticket they buy is cheaper than a regular 3 day ticket so right up front you are not making as much money. HHN people are most likely buying HHN merchandise and not concerned about any other merchandise within the park as they most likely are AP holders or have already had day admission to UOR.

Running a two park even also ties their arms a bit as the next HHN year might not be as popular and they have to close BOTH PARKS early for the event. By having both open and running, they are raking in more money (albeit, at HHN guests and guests without parkhoppers expense).

If they do run a two park event, I would expect the prices to go up quite a bit to match the added attractions they would need to staff and to give themselves a bit of a cushion if the event is not as popular as this year's. After all, they are making a lot of money by having a packed studios and getting everyone else to spend the rest of their time in IOA, so you would have to recoup that loss somehow.

Another reason they would probably avoid a two park event is that companies can rent out the lands of IOA for corporate functions. Having a two park event at that point puts too much faith in the fact that the crowds WILL show up.

The only possible reason I could see them opening both parks is if DA and IOA were not busy during HHN this year. That reason alone seems like a bad idea to run a two park event since you are so reliant upon HHN being packed out, but it is a possible (thought not probable) reason for them to do a two park event."

This year they closed the studios at 5pm and kept DA and all of IOA open until 8pm for day guests.

After opening weekend, DA was not open past 6:00--and the majority of the crowd from 4:00 on were waiting to get into HHN. Fairly certain IoA closed by 7:00 some HHN nights as well. I still don't think either park holds an evening crowd as well as they probably could. Losing those 2 - 3 hours is probably not a deal-breaker, especially if they can replace the crowd with a packed park of heavy drinkers.

While HHN does good numbers, the most crowded nights recently have been ROF and FFP nights meaning that a lot of people have caught onto the value of those tickets.

Debatable. In past years, Saturdays--the one night no multi-night ticket covers--have been the sell-outs. This year, I know a post-RoF Friday sold out, a Saturday may have as well. And expanding to two parks would give Uni the "fig leaf" to cover a huge price increase on those tickets (obviously they could jack up prices just because, but the better PR move is to have an explanation along the line of "double the parks, double the price").

As for staffing, I suspect neither park would be run at full capacity. Close one of the restaurants in US to open one in IoA, staffing costs remain the same. Two parks won't double the HHN crowd, just spread it out a bit more--each park will need less guest infrastructure, to just make up a new term.

Oh man, I wasn't there for the Kong foam party but I remember the foam in Marvel Superhero Island. Man, HHN used to be so fun. :lol:

I haven't seen anyone else mentions this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up.

With one fewer weekend of HHN next year, can we reasonably expect more nights where the event is open until 1am or 2am? Could they theoretically spread the budget of that third weekend in September (which was opening weekend for the past few years) and spread that across the rest of the event?

I haven't seen anyone else mentions this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up.

With one fewer weekend of HHN next year, can we reasonably expect more nights where the event is open until 1am or 2am? Could they theoretically spread the budget of that third weekend in September (which was opening weekend for the past few years) and spread that across the rest of the event?
Not giving a yes or no, but I would gladly sacrifice a weekend for a 1am closing all nights...I just barely get everything done in time during 12am closing

http://uofeedback.qualtrics.com/WRQualtricsSurveyEngine/?Q_SS=a3k5Vrc8ZcC96dL_dp2C71g1KKH4tkF&_=1

HHN 25 Content survey, only active for 24 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

XGed7t4.jpg

A00XFUE.jpg

Hmm

Last edited:
Honestly think we're getting a "Best of" Alfred Hitchcock house with scenes from Psycho, Vertigo, the Birds, etc. I'd be willing to bet on it.

That's the one hinted at house that really intrigues me. I think that'd be wonderful, and they could use some of the old Hitchcock props they have lying around.

Everything else sounds like a blatant rehash or a TV adaptation that does not make sense for the event.

It would make sense for the Classic Monsters to show up. I mean, it is 25 years, and they are a big part of not only Universal history but HHN history.

I'm interested in what kind of Ghostbusters ideas they could have, that's a property I really wish Universal Orlando would have again. Even if it's only for a month.

Got the email and filled it out. I ranked walking dead as low as I could in every question that it pooped up. All I want for 25 is jack, American horror story, and some good original houses. Even though the strain would be interesting. How were the ratings for that show?

Please nobody but jack?!?! I hope you guys know a ton of these picks on this survey are major throwaways. Like story teller and ghostbusters guys? Like really? Hope TWD is in that category but then again...yeah let's hope for all originals here lol

Please nobody but jack?!?! I hope you guys know a ton of these picks on this survey are major throwaways. Like story teller and ghostbusters guys? Like really? Hope TWD is in that category but then again...yeah let's hope for all originals here lol

IDK why you think the Storyteller is a throw away...if they bring back the Icons she will be there lol