Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 25: Reviews & Photos

Alrighty fellow horror hound - I'd love to discuss some of these points with you a little further.....

1.) Chainsaws, while they maybe overused, are still extremely effective. There isn't one haunted house in America that does not end with a chainsaw at the end. At netherworld, we have 2 and the end of each of our haunts. I personally have become immune to them and they don't effect me - but most dont either. That doesn't make them any less effective. Sit in a scare zone and watch. They work and provide an abundance of laughs. I'm also partial to the sound / smell.

2.) As a haunted house actor, I love the E-Prompts. They are an easy way of providing the trifecta - sound, lighting and a physical presence. As an actor its nearly impossible to maintain your voice an entire night (let alone an entire season). Sound is what scares people the most. If you cannot make sound you won't be too effective.

3.) interactivity is limited inside the houses (and pretty much nonexistent) because people need to move thru these attractions. The waits are already hours long - can you imagine if interaction played more of a role? It would slow things down 10 fold. Drunk guests would want to say the most idiotic things and would wanna sit and chat ad naseum. The name of the game to Boo and Skadoo. Scare and reset as fast as possible, therefore being able to hit as many in the conga as you can. If an actor is fast enough you can get every 5th person in a conga. If not more. I've seen it and I've done it myself.

4) the masks are all custom made and work of arts just like the way the make up is. Makeup takes a long time and in low visibility it just isn't cost effective / make sense. I LOVE make up more than anything - but it's a logistics / resources thing. At netherworld we have a crew of about 300 actors. I would say maybe 50 get make up (and that's a generous figure). The rest are in masks.

5.) what do you define as a boo hole? If you're talking about a legit hole in scenery, or false doors / Windows, etc; I believe it's probably because they're extremely predictable. Also, it's all about that reset. Opening and closing a door takes time, and skill in the dark.

8.) I think knowing the source material helps but isn't totally necessary. universal is about riding the movies. But you can still enjoy Harry Potter without seeing the movies the same way you can enjoy the various houses.

I totally get some of your gripes and negatives - but just giving my opinion / perspective. I think there's a lot more rhyme / reason to things than people think about. I.E. Everyone hates the conga lines - but these things are designed for the conga. It's about hitting and trying to give as many of the same folks walking thru (~2000 an hour) the same experience.

My haunt is not designed for a conga. We are designed to be "interactive" and for small groups. Towards the end of the season, we HAVE to conga or else we'd be there until 6 am. Literally, 8 hour waits and that's WITH a steady stream of people. And we are night designed for that and the experience blows. The interactive scares get lost and muddled and it because all about Scaring Forward and trying to pump folks thru.

I appreciate your perspective and would like to respond in kind by pointing out some things I have seen both at Universal and many of the haunts I have been to that are mom and pop run.

1) I love chainsaws, I really do, but an overabundance of anything tends to make it predictable or desensitize people.

2) I understand the use of eprompts and how they help the actor, but cannot help but feel that in some instances they took away from the experience. Read my next point for further clarification.

3) Interactivity has been in HHN houses since the first year I attended. "Leave it to Cleaver" and "The Wolfman" both had moments where an actor would actually talk to the guest, even if it was only a one liner. Following years had similar features (Zombiegeddon, Hallow'd Past, HR Bloodengutz, Saws N Steam, Evil Dead, and From Dusk Till Dawn) to name a few from each year. Now, to be fair, some of these are spielers while others were actors directly in the house, but it was still effective at bringing a level of interactivity to the house. This is partly where the eprompt problem comes in as having every actor on an eprompt takes away from these small moments where they can customize a scare or a witty one liner to the person.

4) Masks are a give and take. I brought it up because in some cases they were so obviously masks that it got in the way. Also, Universal used to brag about their makeup and the lack of it this year is aggravating. Makeup is one of the areas where many mom and pop haunts are starting to excel and it is odd to not see it at Universal (the birthplace of movie monsters).

5) Yes, I meant the drop down boo holes. Like any scare, they can be predictable, but they still are effective. The last one I remember seeing was in 2010's Hades house (chime in if you know of another) so given the amount of new people coming to the event, it seems like it would really catch a lot of them off guard. From the haunt actors I have talked with, I know they are a bear to operate all night, but man do they work.

6) Finally, the source material thing is a real issue. I stopped watching The Walking Dead after season three so the lack of any sort of cohesive story to the house this year was very aggravating. Also, one of the scenes they were apparently re-enacting made absolutely no sense to me and was laughably bad because I had no idea what was supposed to be happening.

Yes, I meant the drop down boo holes. Like any scare, they can be predictable, but they still are effective. The last one I remember seeing was in 2010's Hades house (chime in if you know of another) so given the amount of new people coming to the event, it seems like it would really catch a lot of them off guard. From the haunt actors I have talked with, I know they are a bear to operate all night, but man do they work.
There's one of these in Jack Presents: 25 Years.

I believe I know the scene you are talking about
the false mirror
but I do not recall that actually dropping down as it being a forced perspective.

The one I am thinking of is...
The last curtain on your left before you get to the Jack portrait. Here's some photos (not mine).

The one I am thinking of is...
The last curtain on your left before you get to the Jack portrait. Here's some photos (not mine).

Gotcha. If I remember correctly, that is not a drop down but merely an actor hiding back a ways (my memory of it from the UTH tour is a bit fuzzy).

Apart from this year, does anyone remember a drop down boo hole post 2010?

Well, last I checked, HHN is in America and I can only think of one house that has a chainsaw at the exit this year, so unless you are talking about the streets, then the statement is overtly false based on HHN alone.
Alright. Semantics. Thanks for brushing past every other article to try and nitpick.

And I wouldn't call HHN a Haunted House. They have haunted houses, yes, but they, while the same, are in a different category from The Darkness, Netherworld, Erebrus, 13th Gate, etc etc.

I apologize for exaggerating. I didn't know the Internet was the place to be serious.

Gotcha. If I remember correctly, that is not a drop down but merely an actor hiding back a ways (my memory of it from the UTH tour is a bit fuzzy).

Apart from this year, does anyone remember a drop down boo hole post 2010?
Well I don't really think how it operates matters if it's effectively the same thing. There is a bang just before the actor appears and you can't see in there prior. In reality doing the same gag over and over doesn't really work. People then come to expect a painting for example to open up with an actor behind it.

Well I don't really think how it operates matters if it's effectively the same thing. There is a bang just before the actor appears and you can't see in there prior. In reality doing the same gag over and over doesn't really work. People then come to expect a painting for example to open up with an actor behind it.

You're right that doing the same gag over and over does not work, but the thing is the last time I remember seeing this gag at HHN was 2010. Now, I am not saying "Every house must have this" so much as "Why have we not seen this in a while?" It just strikes me as odd given that it is a proven scare tactic. I updated my original review to reflect that this was not so much a complaint as just an observation.

You're right that doing the same gag over and over does not work, but the thing is the last time I remember seeing this gag at HHN was 2010. Now, I am not saying "Every house must have this" so much as "Why have we not seen this in a while?" It just strikes me as odd given that it is a proven scare tactic. I updated my original review to reflect that this was not so much a complaint as just an observation.
My first year was 2011 and I know I remember seeing them somewhere else, I just can't remember where. Personally I think strobes and chainsaws were the two main things overused this year, but as you pointed out they work so I can't fault them for doing what works.

A good part of the last third of the house was a long zig zaggy hallway, I feel like that's where they were...not 100% sure to be honest though

So, the family obligation I figured I'd have to come to Orlando for panned out! That means I got another run at HHN after all...the difference between this visit and my first one is almost night and day.

Went to Insidious first, liked it, got some good scares, but was a tiny bit disappointed. Didn't like the cheap mannequins, and you guys were spot on about the annoying ops in this house. Also thought the finale was really cheap looking and didn't feel the hands effect that I had heard about. Still glad I went here first tho, and it's definitely a *good* house.

Freddy vs Jason, much more intense. This is an old-school Horror Nights house...the detail, the two facades, it's all so great. Got lots of good scares.

Body Collectors seemed a little less intense this time...also, I like the facade but it could be bigger. I think this is a good house but the concept of the Body Collectors still just doesnt really gel with me for whatever reason.

Asylum in Wonderland--trippy. Almost fell over in that tunnel. But it was really cheap, looked and felt like a haunt you'd find in a mall or something. I did get one GREAT scare, but the house was very meh overall after the first scene. I hope that, if they use Shrek again, it doesnt feel this cramped in.

Run wasn't as good this time around. Scareactors seemed to have lost a little interest. Still a fun concept but not as great as my first impression.

Werewolf--better, got a lot of wolf scares, but still not as amazing as 2013. Still can't put my finger on why.

Monsters and Mayhem--wow! Finally get the love for this house. Got scared a ton, and now that I know the order, it felt much less disjointed. Still dont think its the best house this year, let alone of all time, but it really works best when you know what's up.

All the scarezones had great energy. Got one of my best scares of the night in the Central Park zone. Also, for some reason, the atmosphere was so great...I dont know if they pumped up the background music or if it was just that the energy of the crowd was better but the park was just so much fun.

Last time, I was pretty underwhelmed, actually preferred 24. After this last trip, Im thinking 25 is the best of the last 4 years (still like 17-21 better). As much as I think the atmosphere, energy and scares have improved over the course of the event, I still think that 25 should've been a bigger, better year. 20 was a way better anniversary year IMO. None of the houses felt BIG or GRAND to me, maybe because 9 houses was too expensive to give them all that "oomph"? idk, but still, what a great time. Crowds were also super reasonable, better than the one Sunday I went. Turns out if you get there early HHN isn't such a bad value at all. Maybe it's the ninth house or the new show or Diagon, but whatever the case may be, this is the most comfortable HHN (crowds wise) since 21.

Tl;dr: 25 stepped it up. Great year, much better impression than last time.

Crowds were also super reasonable, better than the one Sunday I went. Turns out if you get there early HHN isn't such a bad value at all. Maybe it's the ninth house or the new show or Diagon, but whatever the case may be, this is the most comfortable HHN (crowds wise) since 21.

Did you go Friday or Saturday? This week I found Friday relatively reasonable--FvJ and Insidious went up over 100 minutes, but streets were almost always passable. But I heard thru the grapevine Saturday was a de facto sell-out.

In any case, Sundays have been the worst FFP+ night by far this year.

Did you go Friday or Saturday? This week I found Friday relatively reasonable--FvJ and Insidious went up over 100 minutes, but streets were almost always passable. But I heard thru the grapevine Saturday was a de facto sell-out.

Yeah I hear the local schools are out Monday this year, so I'm thinking tonight could be very busy!

Sorry, Friday. Got there around 5:45 and could have gotten everything done EASILY. Did 7 of the better houses and Diagon all by around 11, and that included stopping for drinks a few times. With three extra hours, I wouldve been able to get in the shows and the last two houses no problem.

So I had the chance to check out Halloween Horror Nights last night and I have to say this was the first time in a few years that I was extremely satisfied. I've been going since Islands of Fear way back in the day and seeing the caretaker again a few times was enough to have me fan girling haha. I've been to Howl-O-Scream many times this year and while I enjoyed every night of that event, Universal won in my opinion. I was taken by my first house, 25 years of monsters and mayhem. I noticed the scares were all around you, each one unique and really in your face.
I'll rate from least favorite to most favorite.
9. Insidious - Did not have time to see, made it there at 2:01 damn. Haha

8. Walking Dead - I honestly didn't really like anything about this one, I also don't watch the show so maybe that played a part in it. I just felt like the house was lacking in scares and overall uniqueness and this theme is best retired next year.

7. RUN - I was ecstatic when I heard Run was back I loved it during Sweet 16 and would go as far to say it was one of my all time favorites. Sadly I couldn't say the same this time around, I wasn't a fan of the TV show aspect and the scares just weren't there when I went through.

6. Asylum in Wonderland - I liked it a lot for what it was. It was a good 3D house that was fun. I never expect much in the scare department here, just to have a fun walk through and feel a bit disorientated and this hit the mark.

5. The American Warewolf in London - I loved the sets and the scares were pretty good throughout. I would've definitely loved to do this one again.

4. The Purge - I have to say this was one of the most in your face houses for me. Especially for being at the very end of the night with 10 minutes till close. The actors were phenomenal.

3. Body Collectors - I've loved this theme since Tales of Terror and was great seeing them back in action. I loved it. Again, very in your face scares from all directions.

2. Freddy Vs. Jason - I loved this one, it was great seeing Freddy. He's one of my all time favorites. Jason was great too, around every turn he's there. I really loved the facades too. The Elm Street house and that chilling 80s theme and that smooth transition was just perfectly executed.

1. 25 years of monsters and mayhem - This was definitely my favorite. It had the icons, the classic monsters, the bear, and just everything I love about HHN. I really wish I had a chance to go through this one again. This may be my all time favorite house. It was scary, intense, and very well done.

Universal really renewed my love for this event. Great job to all involved. For the first time in years I had an awesome time. I'll definitely be back next year.

FINAL REVIEW/RANKING

HOUSES

(9) Purge: I liked the idea of the movie, really liked the scare-zone, and not much of a Scream fan, so was inclined to be positive. But no thematic consistency here. Just graffiti trying (and failing) to hide the house’s original intent, and way too many strobe lights and gunshots. The hunter and prom queen rooms were the only ones that felt like they “belonged” in a Purge house.

BEST PARTS: The outside barker—who I saw once.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: I think a Purge house done from ground up would’ve been much better—so don’t piss off your IP partners?

(8) TWD: Let’s get it out of the way: they botched the flood scene. Total whiff. I assume it was too far along so it couldn’t be dropped like the flare zombie, but still, never should’ve hyped it. And yeah, the zombies are repetitive, and the IP is tired, and they reused the sliding zombie gag from last year. That said—Terminus, church and barn rooms all worked decently. And there were some cool Easter eggs for show fans (admittedly, wouldn’t have seen them absent the behind-the-screams tour). Still a below average house with an IP it’s time to retire, but not the abortion the online community has painted it as.

BEST PARTS: That church/forest scene almost made me believe I was outside for a moment.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: No need to dogpile the flood scene—but one of the worst finale scenes in a house ever. Just a headscratcher.

(7) AWiL: Biggest shock for me, original in my top 5 of all time. I’ll be blunt, lackluster cast who paled compared to 2 years ago. Also, vandalism on first wolf meant you have a whole lot of walking before first scare. And not sure why, but new wolves didn’t work as well for me. Also, didn’t feel the same attention to little details (e.g. Mickey phone)—wouldn’t have noticed if 2013 hadn’t been so good about those.

But biggest problem is probably that any house gets tired after 8 or 10 runs. I think I did 12+ in 2013. So already felt stale.

BEST PARTS: Slaughtered Lamb still works despite no actors. Tube station still impressive.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: Can’t help but think if there was a 10 year gap rather than 2, would be more forgiving/excited.

(6) Run: Some very clever ideas here, but loses the whole prison feel after the laundry scene. Other than opening pair of actors, both casts seemed lackluster (tho one was better than the other). Despite its low rank, I enjoyed this house quite a bit, probably gets a bump for the one 2 am run I got to make as the only guest in there. Makes me wonder if this would’ve been better received as an upcharge “Alone”-style house you actually had to run through.

BEST PARTS: Queue video. Opening scenes.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: The whole alt history backstory was probably unnecessary, but the choice to depict America as Candy Land was an especially WTF moment.

(5) Asylum in Wonderland: Very impressive 3D house with a committed cast, a clever conceit, some innovative scares (dodos on trampolines, Ace in Queen’s room, purple-haired heads). Disorienting and fun.

BEST PARTS: That tunnel. Never had issues before, this year, nearly fell down more than once.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
Would’ve preferred more integration of the asylum elements throughout the house. Also, air bladder only worked less than 50% of the time.

(4) Monsters & Mayhem: Liked it a lot, even if it is ultimately a disjointed greatest hits package. Lots of effective scares, fun trip down Memory Lane, solid cast.

BEST PARTS: Caretaker section. Got me every time until I saw the trick on the backstage tour. Also the Phantom, who just brought the scares. And, of course, HHNBear.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: Lack of Jack wigs the first two weeks. That long hallway at the end. Christmas room didn’t really need the plastic strips. Would’ve liked more mash-ups like Gothic/Nightingales.

(3) Insidious. What a creepy house—successfully distilled down what few elements worked in the mediocre movies to create something truly chilling. Cast generally brought their A game, as well, particularly the women in the house. The touching wall was an effective new effect to the event. I know the façade had its detractors, but I thought it worked great at night. Even the soundtrack was particularly effective to me.

Only thing keeping it a very good rather than great house was ops issues. Every run I ended up stopping in a room at least a minute. Which just made the ops teams act more obnoxiously. Also, this meant the bigger rooms give away their scares too early. Needed more tight corners, distraction scares up front.

BEST PARTS: Toss-up between “mannequin” room and the red demon just staring you down from behind his grate as Tiny Tim plays.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: Ops. I guess the séance table, too, but if you walked past it more quickly wouldn’t have been as noticeable.

(2) Recollected. Race for #1 went down to the wire—placement at #2 does not mean this is anything other than an outstanding house, truly worth of its franchise predecessors. Detailed theming that creates an ominous atmosphere, a solid cast doing what they can for a scare, a nice mix of effects. Lots of short hallways and tight corners to hide upcoming scares.

BEST PARTS: The perfect façade. The opening throat-slit scene. The bi-sected man. The “manufacturing” room. Hell, third time around, but STILL that spine-rip scene.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: If this house was two rooms longer would easily be #1, felt just a bit too short. Also, the second throat-slit seems redundant in a year where you see the effect four or five other places as well.

(1) Freddy v. Jason. Thematic detail was just incredible—perfectly capturing the feel of both movies, then blending them together at the end into something new that felt organic to the story. Top cast this year, A & B both went out of their way to scare. The screens bothered me initially, but so much going on you barely notice them, they’re just one more thematic element. A satisfying length. Lots of tight corners and “distraction” scares. By two weeks in, everything jelled into an all-time top 10 house.

BEST PARTS: The Jasons—did they raid TNA for hosses? That Elm Street façade with the creepy little girls. The underwater scene with the bra on the oar.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: Need to buy the IP rights, just make this a year-round attraction.

Interesting aside, this is three years in a row the “classic movie” house has been my favorite. Really hoping we get Exorcist next year.

ZONES

(7) Prisoner/Old Hippie Chainsaws. Eh. Tried hard, but uninspired costumes, really contributed to the feel of chainsaw overkill this year (clowns and Eddie would have been fine). Maybe if they truly roamed, could go back into stores, but always saw around Transformers. As is, felt like an afterthought.

(6) Evil’s Roots. Favorite décor ever—loved the pumpkins, wicker men, Gog & Magog. But the characters? To quote Jack, what the poop? Recycled pumpkinhead and bat-woman are fine, but why are there fairies and orcs??? Also, too much fog, tho not as bad as Disaster, getting to be too tight a space. Cast didn’t really try hard for spares, but I think that’s because they couldn’t without bumping into or tripping over guests.

(5) Steampunk Scary Tales. Clever costumes in an otherwise completely average welcoming zone. Cast was good, tried to scare, but it’s ultimately just characters running around a street.

(4) Die-In. Still love the concept, the costumes were dead on (no pun intended), but wrong location. Way too congested. Screen effect wasn’t really noticeable which kills the whole idea. Cast was trying, but having to do constant selfies limited ability to scare.

(3) Clown Chainsaw Team. Purely for the glee they took in scaring everybody and anybody, even kids. Also doing the selfie fake-out to lure victims. And in a perverse way fit Krustyland. I think it helps they had a wide-open area to work with.

(2) Icons. Great make-up, liked the stages, minions did their part to scare. Shows seemed sporadic and were underwhelming but overall a good, if predictable, zone.

(1) Psychoscrapy. Best zone ever. Over-the-top cast just hamming it up. Plenty of actors. Clever props/staging areas. Nurse’s costume contest was a nice bit of dark humor. Décor and even the soundtrack were just on point. The unexpected highlight of HHN 25.

So final rankings and thoughts.

Houses:
1. Monsters & Mayhem- This house is now my favorite house of all time. It had some great scares, allowed me to experience some houses I missed from the past and relive some of my all time favorites!

2. Freddy vs Jason- This house is just great full of really good scares and set design with the only problems with the house are the screens and the lackluster ending. The Freddy wins cast is the superior cast from my experience with the mirror room Jason and camp shirt Freddy getting a special shout out!

3. Body Collectors: Recollections- My most anticipated going in and it delivered on every level. The only reason it is 3rd is because the top two are just that good. My top 3 are all in my overall top 10. My only complaint is that the house felt a little too short and could have used a few more scares. However it is understandable since most of the scares require 2 actors which can quickly use up the allotted actor count for a house.

4. Insidious- Started out strong and after the first two weeks was my number 2. However this house is highly timing dependent and has some weaker rooms with the scares coming from too far away. Also my biggest gripe is the room where the mother says "your name is Meredith SAY IT" and then the bride in black comes out. The one actor came out and honestly looked like they were gliding and could actually elicit a scare from me despite coming from 10 feet away. The other one walked out in these big lumbering steps that just looked clunky and ruined that scene for me. I really don't understand how the two actors never go together and shared technique. But if you get most of the scares this house is up there with the top 3, but was hurt by the ops and frequent stops that always seemed to happen in this house.

5. Purge- I really enjoyed this house because of the actor intensity. Never did Havoc from HHN 20 but I guess i would call this my Havoc this year since the set design left much to be desired in its purge related aspects. I enjoyed the plant, the use of strobes and air blasts and really loud sound.

6. American Werewolf in London- This took a great house and tarnished the memory slightly. I think the strength of the top 4 also just make this house seem worse in relative terms. But my main gripe is the huge lack of anything between the nazi scene to the undergound wolf. They have the same amount of actors but the changes they made were for the worse. The whole transformation scene was so good in 23 because the actor really acted the part but also that was the misdirection for a scare that came out of the door to your back as you were going though the scene. Also the bus lady was a really good scare that added a lot of energy to that room. I'm assuming that they pulled the transformation scare for the guy getting his thought cut (which adds nothing since every other house with a throat slash does it better) and extra wolf pulled an actor that could have been in Piccadilly. Not a bad house but the actors and the flow were worse for this incarnation. The wolves themselves were the only thing better this year.

7. Asylum in Wonderland- Good 3-D house that lacked scares but had some cool effects and was usually a fun run though. And again although 7th this was still a good house that I enjoyed going though.

8. Run- Had the potential but something got lost in the execution. Had WAY too much dead space with 10-15 foot long barren hallways between rooms then the rooms, especially Japan were highly timing dependent. My favorite room was the Roman gladiator room. I also feel like it suffered from being stuck between two directions they could have taken the house. Its straddles the line between a comedy house and a scary/gore house but doesn't shine as either. Again I had fun going though the house but was definitely disappointed by what this house could have been.

9. Walking Dead 4- Done with it. Not as bad as 23's house and some of the scenes just failed but the cast seemed to be the most high energy walker cast of the four years that it has been at the event. I really hope we are done with walking dead and honestly just need a year off with zombies in general.

Scare Zones:
1. All Nite Die-in: loved the dual cast and guest interactions
2. Psychscearapy: great guest interactions, actors looked to be having a blast and the sense of chaos was there.
3. Evils Root's: Love when this area is pumped full of fog and it was really creepy with all the pumpkin lights and stilt walkers. Had some really good scares
4. Icons: Loved the kills and seeing some characters from years past. Also that long haired usher was the GOAT!
5. Screampunk: throw this in any other area with some more props and it would have been great. Last year I liked maskarade because although it was just as barren on the ground the actors did good at playing misdirection for the stilt walkers (I am also a sucker for stilt walkers as they seems to be the ones that always get me out in the scare zones). I feel this location needs the stilt walkers to add another dimension to the zone but maybe traffic concerns made them shy away.

Top 4 all were good in my book in their own way and also suffered for the usual problems that zones in their respective areas suffer from.
I really liked the costumes in scream punk but the location sucks and I would have loved to see some more props for them to work with.