Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Halloween Horror Nights 26 has ended, with many surprises along the way.

While yes, it couldn't top 25, Halloween Horror Nights was given the return of Walkers, The Shape, Leatherface; as it also brought way to the American Horror Story, The Exorcism of Regan, the coming of Krampus and the showing of the Harlequin of horror herself taking center stage. There have been some ups and downs for 26, but now we look forward to what goes ahead to the coming of HHN27.

2017 will be very interesting, as there'll lie many to wonder what the Art and Design team wants to do; as I can't wait to have fun with you all as we speculate, guess, hope and expect to see for the upcoming event.

With that said, let it begin as the fog fades away..

Honestly 26 was pretty mediocre for me aside from Academy of Villains, AHS/Tomb/TWD and Chance. The only house that made me want to go through it over and over was Tomb of the Ancients. Most everything else was just ok, nothing too great. Lunatics Playground sucked. The streets were pretty bland this year as well. Hell, I didn't even really like B&T that much this year and i've liked it through some dark periods (of course that could have to do with AoV being of such high quality).

Overall, I really hope they fine tune the event for next year. They had great IPs to work with this year and sort of just half-assed it on a scare level.

- The actors need to be SCARIER
- The streets need to be be more intense
- Continue to bring in compelling IPs along with great original houses
- The show by Mel's has a high bar to meet for me following The Carnage Returns and Academy of Villains
- If your gonna do a 3D house, do it right. More like Alice, less like Lunatics.
- IP I personally want to see: The Last of Us will be my choice here until the day I die if it never happens :lol:
- Hoping for another Icon. I'd love to see A&D actually create a new one.

You posted this 33 min early man. Nevermind. I got played by daylight savings. lol

Overall 26 didn't top 25 for overly atmosphere but the houses overall were better personally. I don't know if it was going though some houses back to back where the actors regognized us but I had some great interactions in almost all the houses.

For 27 AHS has to be a lock. While I really like WD this year I hope it's done. Throw in 1 or 2 classic horror IPS and a new one or two and some origionals. Would love to see Nightingales, Bloodengutz, or catacombs sequels.

I would love to see usher with the zones themed to movies or else something original that can tie the event together depending on how the lineup comes together.

Mike has his plate full so he is gunna play it hands off going forward. I am assuming he will still have final say? Or will there be a more dedicated group of A&D for HHN that has free reign besides edicts from management?

Changing of the guard? How so?

Aiello is still going to be around, but from what I understand.... A couple of the other members of the team are going to be given a more larger role in the event's design process.

Ok, I have missed something. Mike Aiello is leaving A&D? Where is he going?

He's not - just with everything else he's working on for the Resort; they want to make sure HHN gets the proper attention.

Predictions:

AHS. The house will have an emphasis on Coven and Roanoke over Asylum. Even though Asylum is one of the better seasons, the other two simply translate better to a house.
The Conjuring. I have my doubts since Hollywood was supposed to get it this year, but maybe it'll finally come?
Don't Breathe. One of this year's surprise hits, Don't Breathe would bring in guests. Plus, the director's last movie became a house (Evil Dead).
Hellraiser. False hope? :rolleyes:
TWD. This season's ratings are through the roof. Unless Universal starts construction on a permanent house, we're going to suffer again.
One of the originals will be a sequel.
A new upcharge experience. The VR seemed to be the worst received part of The Repository, so I think they might scrap that aspect.

Early guesses:

• Original Icon (New icon)
  • There are 9 houses in total, with 5 IP's and 4 Originals
  • AHS, IT, Hellraiser, Insidious, and Killer Clowns from Outer Space are the IP's for the event
  • Academy of Villains and Bill and Ted will be the two shows for the year
  • five scare-zone's will be in the event at San Francisco, Hollywood, Production Central, New York, and Central Park
  • Roaming hoard's return again for another year
  • The event starts on September 15th and ends on November 6th
  • a upcharge house returns but is retooled

Likely
  • AHS (well, a lock, with other seasons)
  • TWD (barring permanent house being well on its way--or open, it is Universal)
  • Amityville Horror (Easter egg in Krampus, new movie coming out next year)
  • Trick r Treat (Easter egg in Krampus, worked with director and apparently it went well, allows them to sell a ton of Sam merch)
  • Mummy house (from new Tom Cruise movie, kicking off a NuUniversal Monsters franchise of houses)
Wouldn't Shock Me
  • New icon house
  • Conjuring-verse (been the horror franchise for Millennials)
  • A slightly reimagined original house (Nightengales seems likely, tho I'd love a return to The Hallow)
Wishful Thinking
  • Dead Man's Wharf was a proof of concept for a "Scooby Doo Where Are You? house
  • Vamp 55 house

American Horror Story seems like an obvious lock. I think The Conjuring makes sense, that seems like something that will happen eventually. I don't know how likely Trick 'r Treat is, Krampus was successful, but that movie only came out last year, but Trick 'r Treat came out a few years ago and I'm not sure if it's quite achieved enough of a level of notoriety to justify a house. Amityville Horror is a good idea, that's one of the few remaining classic franchises that hasn't been tapped yet.

My wish list-
  • Ash vs. Evil Dead: This is a no-brainer, it's a current, popular, critically-acclaimed TV show based on a classic horror franchise that already has had a relationship with HHN.
  • The Ring: I think this would be another super solid choice, maybe not quite as iconic as The Exorcist or Halloween, but I'd say it's in the newer classics pantheon, and there's a sequel coming out next year.
  • Sleepy Hollow: Yeah, I know, the show sucks now, but the first season was absolutely fantastic, the show is still on, and it would just simply make an awesome house. I can't imagine a cooler scareactor to be menaced by than this show's portrayal of the Headless Horseman. Plus lots of other really cool monsters and settings.
  • Doctor Who: Lots of great monsters and settings for a house. I don't think this is likely by any stretch of the imagination, simply because it might help attract a younger crowd than what should be attending the event. Maybe they could sidestep that issue by creating a Torchwood house, and tossing in some of the Doctor Who monsters in there, too.
  • And finally, I'd love to see one house (and maybe a scarezone, too) that is a continuation of one of HHN's original storylines, whether it's something like Saws 'n Steam or Body Collectors that has had multiple installments already or something that hasn't had a sequel yet like Nightingales or Winter's Night (like they did with Ghost Town this year).

Keep an eye out for a possible Mardi Gras-type schedule change. It's been discussed.
I am super stoked for the possibilities of this.

I just realized that they haven't announced the range of dates for next year yet, they did on the last day or the day after last year.
I suspect they're going to look over the data collected from the two extended nights before settling on dates for next year.

I just realized that they haven't announced the range of dates for next year yet, they did on the last day or the day after last year.

I suspect they're going to look over the data collected from the two extended nights before settling on dates for next year.
I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after Mardi Gras. I've heard those 41-straight nights may be a test.

Suffice to say, there's a LOT of possible changes to how HHN runs next year.