Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 247 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Large, empty, boring rooms. Lack of scareactors. Badly designed scares for where there was scareactors.

It was bad.

That sucks. I can see how StrTh might end up like that though since the Upside Down and Otherworld have a lot of similarities; hopefully it’s more of a Krampus

I’ve heard a lot of talk about icons at HNN and was wondering if it really makes a huge difference at the event. I’ve only seen Chance as an icon. I moved to Philadelphia in December of 09 and never went to HHN prior as I was in 6th grade and my parents hate haunted houses. My first year was 23 and I went 24 as well. I was a sophomore and junior in high school. I flew down and went with my best childhood friend then he moved to CA for college and I missed 25. I went again 26 and 27 now that I go to USF for the last 2 years its easy to get to the event. I’m wondering. How big a part icons were of the event because it seemed Chance didn’t make a big difference. We’re past icons better represented or just more scary? I’ve always been interested in the event since I was a kid and always went on the sites and did all the interactive stuff and I know all the stories of all characters houses and events. I just wanna know from people who saw the old icons did they really change the event that much?

some of my all time favorite memories of HHN are the icons. 2006 had a great icon show. The icon houses were really great that year. The event was a lot of fun.
2007 is still definitely in my top 5 favorite years. Jack was amazing. His show was really great, the look of the event was great, the advertising was really cool, Hearing jack on the speakers while music from Freddy Vs Jason was playing was really nice.
I dont know, Icons just have this great presence at the park. They are like celebrities, they are like the Face of HHN. Their houses might not always be the best and some icons might be worse than others.... but they are like... Family. I cant imagine what HHN would look like without any icons.
Even Chance was great bro, seeing her in the posters and seeing her in Magazine ads and seeing her in the t shirts.

Icons are like the Logo of HHN, like a great book cover. 2009 was really amazing thanks to the Usher. I LOVED seeing him at the gates. the first thing you saw when going to the park entrance was the Ticket booth and the Usher talking to you, His presence that year was really neat.
the Icon scarezone in 2010 is one of my all time favorite zones. Their rooms were so cool to see and take pictures of. Being able to walk around the icons felt like walking around HHN faculty. I don't know how to explain it, Icons are recognizable and they are center of attention.I understand the theme of the event might not always fit well or be coherent but I have always loved all the icons because they represent HHN. I Rather have an icon in the posters than a random zombie or a random art design.

See, now I fully un
derstand why Chance is largely derided as an Icon, I really do; she greatly suffered from the lack of a show devoted to her specifically IMO, and her house was pretty average.

The statement I take issue with, however, is that she didn't have a big enough presence at the event, or that the event didn’t have at least some unifying elements. I feel like the marketing dropped the ball for sure, but the moment you walked into the event the first scarezone told you where you were: within the theater of Chance’s mind (cue the St. Elsewhere theme). All of the houses were things she was imagining, whether it was media she was familiar with, or more original ideas. Throughout the night too, if you listened to the music, you could hear her thoughts floating in and out as well, like you were walking through her scattered brain. Not to mention all of the merch and theming surrounding the comedy and tragedy masks, and the ability to interact directly with her throughout the night.

Don’t get me wrong 25 was FAR superior in terms of a unifying Icon, but I think the steps they took with Chance were at least effective! I hope we see something at least a bit similar this year in terms of 80’s iconography and audio throughout the park (c’mon neon/geometric patterns! But even that I'm tempering my expectations on)

what's funny is that if Univesal was struggling SO MUCH with finding a replacement for Bill and Ted, A good Icon show would have been enough to make everyone happy.....
they probably had dozens of ideas for what to replace Bill and Ted with, they probably thought of hiring other outside shows, when all they had to do is make a cool new icon and have a show....

Wait what was wrong with Silent Hill? The property is made for a house but was it the fact that it was last minute what made it bad?

The problem was that most of the actors were just wearing Gas masks. it felt like a lazy house in terms or what they used from the property. In fact the house felt like it was just based on the movie and not in the games. You only saw Pyramid Head Once in the entire house and he was on stilts. since he walked slow it was easy to miss him if he went into the boo hole. The nurses were totally wasted in one room that had stairs for some weird reason.
There were so many great characters and creatures from the games they didn't use, they house was very bare.
I think Hollywood did it better, their sets weren't that great but I remember they had pyramid Head like 3 times. they also had Robbie the Rabbit costumes for actors in Hollywood but we didnt get any.

There are videos of this house on youtube that you can check