Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 (UO): Reviews & Photos

Forgive my rambling... Listening to the latest IU radio and hearing the discussion about the (weak) finales this year, got me thinking about how important house finales can be. A strong finale generally leaves guests with a fond memory and may even make up for some other shortcomings experienced earlier in a house. I dare say that the final scene in any haunted house may actually be its most important. Many times, HHN houses just seem to fade out as you approach the exit. I agree that the Swamp Yeti in Slaughter Sinema and the Quarry in Trick 'r Treat were this year's only memorable finales - and even then, the Quarry scene was light on actors/scares.

Forgive my rambling... Listening to the latest IU radio and hearing the discussion about the (weak) finales this year, got me thinking about how important house finales can be. A strong finale generally leaves guests with a fond memory and may even make up for some other shortcomings experienced earlier in a house. I dare say that the final scene in any haunted house may actually be its most important. Many times, HHN houses just seem to fade out as you approach the exit. I agree that the Swamp Yeti in Slaughter Sinema and the Quarry in Trick 'r Treat were this year's only memorable finales - and even then, the Quarry scene was light on actors/scares.

I thought for storytelling purposes DE had a good finale (our vision returning). Thought CG’s finale lifted it up a lot. And at least when she was on the bungee, ST4 had a good finale as well. Other than that I can sort of agree.

Last edited:
I have finished my HHN28 review. It's nearly 6000 words long and includes a brief history of the event, my review of this years offerings, and looks at the future of the event and how to overcome some lingering issues that have grown more apparent this year.

Parkscope: Halloween Horror Nights 28 - Observations and Thoughts

I have to wonder if DE2 might've received better reviews if they had just went with the old effect? Y'know, pics of Emily's honeymoon?

Just really depressing that the houses that received the most overall praise were IPs.

EDIT: I wasn't in the best mood when I wrote this.

Last edited:
Sadly, the event's best days are likely behind it.

I... what? If this is your take away from my review then I've failed. This is not an event in decline, it is one that needs to find the next decade of inspiration. I mean last year we had a GOAT original concept house and prior years some of the worst scare zones ever (and one year without any!)

Plus if there’s one thing us as fans love to do is complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finished my HHN28 review. It's nearly 6000 words long and includes a brief history of the event, my review of this years offerings, and looks at the future of the event and how to overcome some lingering issues that have grown more apparent this year.

Excellent review. And I read every single word......I especially enjoyed your final thoughts on how the event can adapt to the rising attendance, and those subsequent issues.

Worth the wait, great review. I particularly think you nailed the bit about people sitting on curbs--it can't be just seeing houses commando-style. I realize more of a thing for us locals, but the lack of "rest spots" (for lack of a better term) hurts the friend aspect you initially alluded to. Sure I still bumped into friends I know throughout the event--but that used to happen 10 times a night in Finns. And as you say, was an important part of the event. Ties into the whole why Halloween is bigger than Christmas in Orlando argument I made on Twitter back in September, it really was/is the time of year we catch up with old friends. Still some aspect of that to HHN, but slowly being eroded the past couple years, and that's a shame.

Worth the wait, great review. I particularly think you nailed the bit about people sitting on curbs--it can't be just seeing houses commando-style. I realize more of a thing for us locals, but the lack of "rest spots" (for lack of a better term) hurts the friend aspect you initially alluded to. Sure I still bumped into friends I know throughout the event--but that used to happen 10 times a night in Finns. And as you say, was an important part of the event. Ties into the whole why Halloween is bigger than Christmas in Orlando argument I made on Twitter back in September, it really was/is the time of year we catch up with old friends. Still some aspect of that to HHN, but slowly being eroded the past couple years, and that's a shame.

Your comments on areas to rest and the family reunion aspect did inspire my peace.

We love a good sit down, a beer and a people watch. I admire the people that say they have done 23 houses, all 5 scare zones and a show where as I have done 6 houses, sauntered through 3 scarezones, had a few drinks and gone through the universal store for a browse and a bit of air con cool down so I would welcome a few more sit down places.

One of the haunts over here in the UK has the final "house" burst out into the pub so you get to watch people's reactions.

Private RIP Review! (11/3/18 final night) Short and sweet! If you can get some friends together to break up the price, the Private tour is 100000% the way to go! It ends up costing whatever 10x the single non-private tour is that night. So with our Premier pass we paid under $2000 split between 8 people. Started at 530 with the snacks and deserts, and at 6 we were into our first house. The best part of the tour is being able to do what you want... We went ahead and did stranger things twice in a row, hit all the sound stage houses, Halloween4, , the back houses twice each, MIB and immagration tour, Diagon and EFG for the new folks in our group caught the second to last AOV, BTS under mummy on the way back to the SS houses for a double run of each. Our tour guide (roommate of one of the tour guests and my normal tour guide) was on top of everything! We ended up with a 26 house count in one night! One of the flash light brigade grabbed one of my friends arms and pulled her out of Scary Tales because she almost walked the wrong way (ran) out of the house... At first we thought the house op was being cautious because she almost fell, but when she started to yell about watching what she was doing our guide and his roommate stepped in and handled the flash light weilding fun sponge. We did nothing wrong the Op put hands on a guest for no reason and WoW .. not letting that ruin any part of the night it was 12:55 and we hit STDEA one more time and ran to CGRIP.. All of the Actors were on their A game the streets were ALIVE! the Klowns OMG ! AOV was so energetic (as they always are!) We caught the second I can not advocate more then if you only get one night try the last night. Save your pennies get 10 people together and do a Private tour.

This sounds like so much fun!

It's a much more hard-core event. Last time I had a sack placed over my head and you had to hold onto a rope to find your way through a maze all whilst people were scaring you. This included trying to take your hand off the rope, cutting in front of you pretending they were your friends or throwing things at you such as saw dust and dirt.

It's a much more hard-core event. Last time I had a sack placed over my head and you had to hold onto a rope to find your way through a maze all whilst people were scaring you. This included trying to take your hand off the rope, cutting in front of you pretending they were your friends or throwing things at you such as saw dust and dirt.
Well the beer at the end sounds good...