Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UO): Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UO): Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here are my initial, non-spoiler thoughts. Sorry if they come scatter shot…

First - it felt so good to be at HHN again. Being at the gates for opening, the chainsaws revving, Jack announcing the start of the event…all great stuff that got me back into my old spirit.

Beyond that, I was also extremely surprised I was able to get done all 10 houses and 3 rides without express on a Saturday on opening weekend, and left by 1:30.

We got there at 5:45, were let in around 6:15 and we rushed to Hill House. Waited all of 20 min, then following @April advice, we looked for houses with the shortest waits and walked to each.

It seems like Hill House and Beetlejuice were the only two houses all night that hovered around 60+ min consistently after 7:00. If you’re not doing stay and scream, my recommendation is to hit up one of those houses at rope drop, then do the other house closer to the end of the night.

Despite the aforementioned two houses popularity - I can’t tell you how nice it is to not have an IP this year that’s driving people in droves like Walking Dead or Stranger Things. The houses all have mostly even wait times throughout the night and none were unbearable to wait in. I’m SO HAPPY I didn’t buy express with my UFP.

Okay so now some of the bad…

Guys…I’m Mr. Anxiety. I’m all about the safest preventive measures being in place. I’m still extremely disheartened by the lack of indoor mask mandates for the houses….but the vinyl cut the scares for me by about 60% this year. Some houses are better than others (Bride, Wicked Growth) and some are flat out egregious (Tooth Fairy, Beetlejuice), but every time I saw a reflection off the paneling, which happened frequently, I knew to look in that direction for the scare.

The masks on the characters is also kinda hit and miss. Some houses it didn’t effect me much at all (Wicked Growth, Legendary Truth, TCM, Bride - which I actually thought it worked well in given the concept), but ones where it features a face character and they’re wearing a normal cloth mask (pretty much everyone in Icons and Beetlejuice), it really took me out of it. Sadly on this front there’s not much that can be done, and I don’t want to dwell on it too much because I’m very thankful the event is happening and I want the actors to feel safe.

The ask is simple though - remove the vinyl, enforce mask mandates. It will make the event this year infinitely scarier, and I really want it to be because this year is NO SLOUCH (at least from the house perspective) and I wish it could operate at its absolute best. Maybe enough feedback early on will push some changes moving forward.

This leads me to a brief ranking, which will obviously change in future visits. I will write more formal feedback after a couple more run-throughs.

Taking in scares, sets and storytelling, my ranking would be…

MASTERPIECE
1) Wicked Growth

VERY GOOD
2) Legendary Truth
3) Texas Chainsaw
4) Bride of Frankenstein

GOOD
5) Icons
6) Haunting of Hill House

DECENT
7) Puppets
8) Beetlejuice
9) Tooth Fairy
10) Scarey

I really don’t think there’s a bad house this year - but the scarezones may be the weakest I can remember in a while. Search and Destroy is the biggest WTF I’ve had in a long time at HHN. I think the only zone that I thought was legit was Gorewood.

As for Covid - it’s going to be personal preference. I saw a decent amount of people wearing masks in the houses (I personally double masked with 3-ply cloth and an N95…call me neurotic), but then outdoors I didn’t wear a mask at all except when we waited to enter the event.

Overall - I’m very happy - I can’t wait to go back and I’m excited to hear more about what you all think!

Last edited:
First Impression Rankings:

1) Wicked Growth/Bride -- re: Bride, see everything I posted last year, still an all-timer. Re: Wicked Growth, everything I'd hoped for, executed perfectly. The facade/opening embodies Halloween. The final four rooms--
covered bridge, past the witch, to the Pumpkin Lord
--may be one of the strongest stretch of rooms in HHN history. These houses alone justify a visit this year.

3) Hill House -- works remarkably well as a stereotypical haunted house. I know I'd recognize more Easter eggs if I finished the show, but credit to A&D, I followed the gist of the story just by what's here. Up there with WG as the scariest house, just oozes atmosphere.

<gap>

4) Puppet Theater --
Theater half really fun, with some clever twists. Puppet half didn't really work for me.
Probably a testament to HHN's record lately that I consider a house like this average; in the 00s, it would have been top of the pack.

5) Icons -- as an old-timer, fun seeing classic commercials recreated and the 2010 icon. End of day, tho, that's all this is. Ending kind of silly --
I saw the Director on a high fantasy throne, it's incongruous
. Masks and plexi hurt this house more than most, as well. (Not arguing its necessity or effectiveness, just observing that it did cause issues here.)

6) Unearthed Cases -- too much effort to turn what could have been a serious take on Slaughter Sinema into a overarching story. Masks hurt this house more than any other. I did like the showcase room in the middle, but every other scene is stuff we've seen a dozen times before, without enough creative flouishes to make me forget that.

<gap>

7) Beetlejuice -- sets still iconic, but vinyl really hurt this house. Also felt even more understaffed than last year. Hoping this one moves up, considering I spent years as the biggest cheerleader for IPs like this and Ghostbusters becoming houses.

8) (S)Carey -- meh. Disjointed 'memberberries. The style of the houses clashes too much. Would have preferred they just remake one house.

DNF -- Express was wonky, didn't care enough about the other two to invest 45 minutes on my feet for either last night.

Zones:
1) Lights, Camera. Hacktion -- staff has room to work, enjoying scaring.
2) Crypt TV -- makes me want to watch more videos, so effective I guess. Solid cast hindered by crowded space.
3) 30 Years/30 Fears -- a welcome-in, photo-op zone; it does that job perfectly
4) Seek & Destroy -- great cast, dumb costumes. Might have worked better reworked into a Hunger Games zone, because all I see is Peacekeepers, not aliens.
5) Gorewood Forest. -- no bikers. No body collectors. No Eelmouth. Queen's stage blocks traffic at a key chokepoint yet she does nothing on it. Feels understaffed. Second biggest disappointment this year.
DNC -- the loss of the Chainsaw Drill Team is my biggest disappointment. Miss their manic energy. Miss the sound of chainsaws (too few at the event, and why would aliens even have them???). Hope whatever the issue is they find a way to return somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi!

So some of you know that I've never been to HHN Orlando. I've been trying to go since HHN25 and every year there was always something that came up. Last year I got the closest with everything booked and then... announcement of Cancelation.

So immediately this year I booked a 2 week trip in September (Sept. 21 - Oct. 4) and I decided very last minute last month that I wanted to do Opening Night as well. Didn't want to miss the hype so I had a quick flight from LAX to Orlando on Thursday Night/Friday Morning and flight back Saturday morning.

I feel as though in my years of attending Haunts this is the strongest event I have ever been to for any Haunt. Being doing Knotts since 2013, HHN Hollywood since 2015, and others (Dark Harbor, Fright Fest, Horror Made Here, etc) but this is easily one of the strongest lineups for any event I have done and I imagine my ranking when I come back will be very different than when I did them on Friday because the lineup is just that strong.

Shows:
Didn't do them. Will do them when I come back though!

Scare Zones:
5. Seek & Destroy - Bad Costumes and odd Tone. Love the idea but the execution is very poor.
4. 30 Years 30 Fears - Good starter Zone. Visually gorgeous but lacks the icons which is sort of a bummer.
3. Gorewood Forest - Also visually gorgeous and really felt like you were in a forest. Just feels bare in parts with actors.
2. Crypt TV - Some amazing costume design and the tone was incredible. Very true to the IP.
1. Lights, Camera, Hacktion: Eddie's Revenge - Went through this at 1am and it was still incredible. So many actors and so much energy.

Houses:

10. Beetlejuice (1 Time) - This was the first house of the night and I wasn't really excited for this House due to the HHN Lite videos and how this looked underwhelming compared to Bride and Tooth. Spoiler: It's much better in person. Really fun House with some awesome effects. The Lighting was incredible in spots. The 2nd Half is just weaker than the first half to me and in the grand scheme of the lineup this is definitely the weakest to me. But still such a good house.

9. Revenge of the Tooth Fairy (2 Times) - Really great sound design in this one. The House is driven by it's sound design and lighting to really make it feel like you are going through a storybook. Also really creative storytelling aspects to this house as it's story was completely clear. The house can be repetitive in ways but it still is a great house.

8. Puppet Theatre Captive Audience (2 Times): Gorgeous facade. I expect this one to go up in my ranking due to how unique and weird it was. If you took Knotts Pinocchio Unstrung and Black Magic and mixed them together you would get this house. Incredible Costume Design and just unique triggers. Felt very campy and the set design is incredible. Tons of details that I'm just now noticing from watching the walkthroughs. Incredible house.

7. HHN Icons Captured (2 Times) - Wasn't expecting this house to land so low but here it is! Personally felt some sections were stronger than others which is why it's much lower. But still a incredible house. Caretaker and Storyteller's sections were probably my favorite. Lots of really cool Easter eggs in this house and overall if you're a fan of these characters, these house will absolutely deliver for you.

6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blood Brothers) (2 Times): Was very excited for this House when I heard it was Blood Brothers on EPN because I went through Hollywood’s Blood Brothers and loved that house but this House is even better.

If you told me a TCM house with No Kitchen and Dinner Table Scene and no Dialogue was an A+ house I would tell you that you are crazy.

But somehow this House feels insanely like the First film while incorporating elements from the 2nd film. This House didn't scare me but it felt so dirty and like the first film. So many great moments and there were 2 scares that wowed me.

- The Leatherface after the Pig Pen because the lighting is exactly like when Franklin's flashlight is going off when Leatherface kills Franklin.

- The Leatherface with Nubbins Corpse scare which is incredible in person.
Incredible house that delivered on every front.

5. Welcome to SCarey: Horror in the Heartland (3 Times) - A house that I was not looking forward that ended up being one of my favorites. I was expecting this house to bait on nostalgia and not be memorable at all but it was the complete opposite. Charming facade and just charming house. The House flowed really well despite being a mashup house and each section was incredible. The LT and Leave It to Cleaver sections were my favorite. I got some truly terrific scares in my 3 runs of this house.

The 2nd Hive Vampire gave me one of the biggest scares of the night. And on my 2nd and 3rd walkthrough he always got someone.

4. Universal Monsters The Bride of Frankenstein Lives! (2 Times) - Bride of Frankenstein is one of my favorite films of all time so I was super excited to see Orlando's version. Blew my expectations in every way. The Facade was mindblowing and chilling to see. Incredible Scenic Design and incredible moments spread all throughout the house. Truly better than every Maze based on the Monsters for HHN Hollywood. It truly felt like a Monsters film.

3. Case Files Unearthed Legendary Truth (3 Times) - This (And Puppet Theatre) and probably the most unique in tone of the Entire Lineup. This House has so much variety and incredible set design. The creature design was really well designed too and just so much creative stuff in this house. It was extremely campy which I enjoyed and reminded me of why I thought Slaughter Sinema on videos looked fantastic.

The Outside of the Kitty Kat Club like looked and felt like you were outside.

2. The Haunting of Hill House (3 Times) - I was already sold on this House when I heard Orlando was doing it. Orlando does incredibly well with anything with a huge scale (At least from videos). In the IP houses I've done from HHN Hollywood (Since 2015) and Orlando (Which again first year) this is my favorite IP House. Perfectly captures the tone of the show. The Facade is possibly the greatest I have ever seen in person. This House has incredible scares and I typically don't get scared. The Lighting was phenomenal.

The Black Hallway Ceiling Bent Neck Lady Scare was so creative in the idea of you're Young Nell and the Bent Neck Lady is above you. That was unbelievably creative.
If you watched the Show and liked it (Or didn't). Then you'll love this house.

1. The Wicked Growth Realm of the Pumpkin (3 Times) - What is there to say about this House? Some of the Best Scenic Design I have ever seen for a house. And so many details that I picked up in watching videos that I didn't see on my 3 walkthroughs. So many incredible moments.

- The Barn with the Scarecrow Esc Scares/Costumes.
- The Bridge with Cracks and on the left it looks and sounds like something is following you.
- The Cemetery with the Reaper Scare and the Fog and Red Lighting.
- The Witch's Cottage with the Cauldron (Which has a Body that comes up that the Witch pushes back in) and the Book with UV Text.
- The Finale inside the Pumpkin with all those incredible costumes the Pumpkin Lord coming out of the Pumpkin.

If you're going to HHN Orlando I would say this is the House to not miss. Perfectly embodies Halloween.

That's my review. Really excited to go back in Later September and see all of these houses again!

@HHNManics Happy you had a great visit and enjoyed getting your thoughts. I live in L.A. and have been traveling to Orlando for HHN since 2010; the event has ruined me. I'm about 20 minutes from the Hollywood park and haven't bothered to attend for several years. There's just no comparison. In my experience, Orlando is a work of art that hums with creativity and the enthusiasm of the team behind it. Hollywood feels like the troubled little brother who will never measure up to his sibling and has decided to cope by developing a bad attitude and hanging out with musicians that were edgy 30 years ago. Plus that park is such a huge pain to navigate. I'll also be arriving Sept 21--can't wait!

As an MBA, I look at everything from the perspective of its value proposition—what does this do better or differently that makes it worthwhile?

Nightingales’s value proposition wasn’t its ancient Rome theming (although for the record, I thought that house was great and caught a bad rep). It was the close quarters and tight scares. The problem wasn’t the theme, it was that the houses in that location before that (Tomb, Scarecrow, Dead Exposure) all brought the same value proposition to the table.

Meanwhile, Monsters brought innovative scares (wolf bungee, whatever the heck the Hunchback was doing in that one room, etc.) while Graveyard Games built a cohesive story to ramp up its intensity and build a tangible sense of threat. Again, not about the theme, but about what specifically those houses brought to the table from an execution standpoint.

The houses this year have great themes, but they follow the same beats and techniques as houses over the past five or so years have. Granted, there’s only so much you can do in a haunted house, but that’s what has always separated HHN from the rest. In Between wasn’t badass because of a story about a kid with comic books, it was badass because it utilized 3-D in innovative ways. Scarecrow didn’t become the modern day standard because people have an affinity for agriculture, it did so because it committed to getting in your face unlike any house in (recent) past.

In a way, I actually think this is why the IP-centric focus lately has been a good thing…Universal can mock up well-known movies and TV shows and put you in the middle of the action better than anyone and that’s a heck of a value proposition. This year, the lackluster IP represented kinda render this a non-factor. I know this is probably an unpopular take around here, but the IP houses are undeniably a strong suit for HHN.

Besides Case Files, which takes an unorthodox setting and a continuous narrative and mixes it with schlocky horror, the things this year are all things we’ve seen before just dressed up a little differently. Again…that works! HHN is great for a reason and the formula is the formula for a reason! But this year feels more like a 2016 than a 2015, which I think is why “middle of the pack” hits the nail on the head.

Yeah I get that the theme isn't necessarily the biggest deal. But still. I'm just not sure how many new tricks they're capable of producing anymore. What new innovations could they possibly think of, especially when they have to make TEN mostly new houses a year?

I have been through most of the houses but not yet SCarey- can someone who has done it just give me like a list of every house I should be expecting to see?

In order:
Spawning
HIVE
Wyandot Estate
Dead End
Orfanage / Skoolhouse combo (basically the same thing honestly)
HR Bloodengutz
Leave It To Cleaver
Hellgate / HAVOC seems to be the "stinger" scare

The mate will have her monster, and the monster his mate! Check out our video walk-through of Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives! at #HHN30

Jack, Chance, The Director, The Usher, Caretaker... Which Icon will reign supreme? Check out our video walk-through of HHN Icons: Captured at #HHN30

Last edited:
The mate will have her monster, and the monster his mate! Check out our video walk-through of Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives! at #HHN30

Jack, Chance, The Director, The Usher, Caretaker... Which Icon will reign supreme? Check out our video walk-through of HHN Icons: Captured at #HHN30

@Brian G. and all of IU team thank you so much! For someone not able to go to HHN this year unfortunately, I'm very sad to be missing this amazing year. Thanks to you guys I get to see some amazing pics and videos and read reviews! I would very much appreciated as may pics/videos as possible so keep it up! This goes to anyone else who can and will post or already has!

Based on what I've seen, within Gorewood Forest, the Terra Queen mostly just stands around. Has anyone seen the sacrifice?

Based on what I've seen, within Gorewood Forest, the Terra Queen mostly just stands around. Has anyone seen the sacrifice?
From what I've seen in videos is there is just a dummy that gets "sacrificed" periodically. I have a feeling they were possibly planning for something grander when it comes to this but the motorcycle and the ACTUAL Terra Queen costume would have been much nicer.

REVIEW: After 672 days, Halloween Horror Nights is back to celebrate 30 years and 30 fears! What did we think?

REVIEW: After 672 days, Halloween Horror Nights is back to celebrate 30 years and 30 fears! What did we think?

Thanks so much for the even-handed review! I really appreciated your insights, especially about Wicked Growth.

Reactions: Brian G.
My review is up on touring plans.

Hilariously both Brian and I wrote a very similar opening at the same time. I dropped lots of Roy Kent profanity when I saw his review publish before mine.