Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is for reviews, photos, and videos of HHN 31.

Please limit all discussions to media and reviews of the event. Any general discussions should be posted in the News & Info or Tips & Tricks threads. Thanks!

Glad the opening night rain held off. Wish the same could be said about the opening night leg pain :lol: My way-too-soon house rankings:

1. Dead Man's Pier - Easily house of the year and genuinely one of my favorite houses of all time. The house design is unbelievable. BOAT GOAT.
  2. Descendants of Destruction - Gorgeous sets and the strongest cast in terms of scares by far.
  3. Bugs: Eaten Alive - Well themed, well-written, a great cast, and left me with a grimace on my face for most of the second half of the house. Definitely a fun house rather than a scary one for me, but I loved this. Some people will lose it over this one.
  4. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - Fun fun fun with a surprising dash of gore. Definitely not one to be slept on.
  5. Fiesta de Chupacabras - Adored the forced perspective of the facade and had a ton of fun in this house and more scares than expected.
  6. Halloween - Certainly is a Halloween house. Lots of scares, lots of great set pieces, all filled with the iconic score. A few weird choices, but still a great time. Pretty sure I prefer HHN24's rendition however.
  7. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - The hate for this hype is incredibly overblown and wouldn't be nearly as strong if it was advertised as a Mummy house. Gorgeous sets and good scares.
  8. Horrors of Blumhouse - One of the weirdest house designs in a long time lol. The cast was very strong when I went through and The Black Phone section was cool to see. Not the worst of Blumhouse, but still a clunker overall.
  9. Spirits of the Coven - My #1 most hyped house. Not sure what happened here. Quite a few nothing rooms. A lot of very visible booholes. A strong finish with some flashes of greatness, but unfortunately, it feels like missed potential.
  10. Hellblock Horror - Oof

Last edited:
Opening night thoughts:
1. Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake
2. Descendants of Destruction
3. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
4. Halloween
5. Bugs: Eaten Alive
6. Fiesta de Chupacabras
7. Horrors of Blumhouse
8. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
9. Hellblock Horror
10. Spirits of the Coven

Off the bat, Dead Man's Pier has all but locked in HOTY. This is a houses that has the design love, lore, and set designs on the level of Ghost Town but also brings the scares.
Descendants is really fun and again they up the ante of big set pieces that they can fit in those tents. Really cool evolution and variety of scares. I really enjoy the caverns at the end and the finale gives me the finally of Blumhouse/ caverns from House of 1000 corpses vibes and really in your face. It seems houses like this can be really hit or miss for people (loved Dead Exposure: PZ, which the last third kinda gives design vibes of) but it hit for me.
Monsters and Halloween have great sets and good scares, need more runs to fully take it in. Not getting the hate for Monsters, but I think like I said in the house thread, its an expectations issue cause the sets and scares were good.
Bugs is perfect mix of gross, funny, and visceral. Good scares to boot.
Chupy was disappointing with the actual puppet execution but everything else in this house was really good.
Blumhouse was weird. I think this surprised my expectations as the freaky sets were decent quality but lacking in anything interesting, the transition is garbage, and black phone looks really cheap but was effective and didn't feel repetitive. Complete inversion of expectations.
Weeknd was really pretty and cool but hit this up at the end and half the cast must have been missing. Room for improvement but a disappointing first run.
Hellblock horror, did it early while still light and very high energy but very basic besides that. This will live or die by the cast, but the basic setting keeps a very low ceiling on this houses potential.
Coven was the big disappointment of the night. Beautiful sets but felt so empty. Half the scares were just witches already in sight revealing they have long noses. I'm not sure how this gets solved as by design this seems as like a more slow burn house but that just doesn't work with congas.

I don't think any of the houses are bad, but I could see myself potentially getting bored of hellblock, coven, and blumhouse. But this year is looking to shape up into a solid one.

I'm not gunna touch on the zones yet because last night was not the way to experience them with the wall to wall people everywhere.

1. Dead Man's Pier- Might be my all time favorite house, everything worked for me.
2. Chupacabra- On most other years this would have been my #1
3.DoD- I really wasn't expecting this house to be as good as it was. It felt gritty and tight. Loved the scares.
4.Legends Collide - Not impressed the first night, very impressed the second. House looks amazing but the first night was all Mummy. Second night was better balanced.
5.Halloween- Love the movie, loved the house. Even though I ranked it 5th, I really enjoyed the house.
6.Weekend- Fantastic house. I had no idea who the Weeknd was before the announcement. Love the horror and gore in the house, I enjoyed the music a lot, the scares were very good. My only two critiques would be SOME of the rooms detail was not that good, some were fantastic. Also, the house felt a bit short for the building it was in, but maybe I am not correctly remembering how long the previous houses were. I'm very glad this property was included. First night I had it at 4.
7.Bugs- The only house I have only done once, but I did think it was cute.
8.Coven- This house is a cool idea and looks good but seemed very short handed each time I did it.
9.Blumhouse- Freaky was cool. Black Phone seems like a cool movie, but I don't think it translated well as house. However, I did really like the location of the house and I liked how transition between movies.
10.Hellblock - Not executed well at all but I completely understand why. I would like to see it return as house that was given the proper amount of time because I liked the concept. The first room was very cool, after that not so much.

I think all of the zones are incredible this year. They feel better than ever.

Depending on actor timing my 4-6 could change on any given night. I'm pretty solid on everything else.

So far it has been a really fun year.

We were very happy the rain stopped right as the event was getting started. We hit a few very long express lines, which was a disappointment. We arrived at around 7:30, and left at 1:00. We made a couple of brief stops to eat, but otherwise went from house to house, and we only got 9 done, with Express.

House rankings:

Great
1. Dead Man's Pier - Wow. WOW. This house was so great. I've only been going since 28, but this might be my favorite house ever. It's just so... grand.

Good
2. Halloween - I'm a Halloween fanboy, so I was probably going to like this no matter what. I might have actually preferred the Halloween 4 house at 28, though.
3. Chupacabra
4. Weeknd - We did this twice. Not scary at all, but still a fun house.

Okay
5. Descendants of Destruction
6. Legends Collide

Bad
7. Blumhouse - Freaky was terrible, Black Phone was kinda okayish. Transition between them was garbage. We waited 40 minutes in the express line for this, and it most certainly wasn't worth it.
8. Bugs - I hate bugs, so I was very nervous going into this house. It was a big letdown. It wasn't scary, and it wasn't funny.

Scare zones were decent. The New York scare zone was great. The San Francisco scare zone was impossible to get through, and because of that I couldn't see anything. The others were all decent.

We tried a few of the snacks, and they were mostly a letdown. The Lil’ Boo Spicy Pumpkin Bun was bad. The Petrified Rat Tails were very strange but decent. The Spicy Fried Chicken “Offals” tasted good, but there was hardly any actual chicken. Ours was 90% chicken skins, which were kind of like pork rinds.

We are going again on Wednesday and Thursday, so I'll post complete, updated thoughts after that.

I have only gone for one night so far, but here’s my very early house rankings:
  1. Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake - Best designed house of the year. Amazing attention to seemly create a New England seaside village with an “open-concept.” Gotta love the music in there too. Bonus it’s a “winter” house.
  2. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare - I loved the creativity within this house. The actors where very energetic and intense. The Weeknd Toad got me and I got lost in the mirror maze.
  3. Descendants of Destruction - The scenic design really surprised me here. It’s a more interesting and unique than I thought it was going to be.
  4. Bugs: Eaten Alive - I like this house as a comedy rather than a scary house. Some of that comedy comes from the 50’s B-Movie setting and the other comes from watching people lose it. It’s a fun house to me but I wished the last room had been better executed.
  5. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide - I really love this house, but there are some things regarding the plot and characters that left me wanting more. As an Egyptian house, it’s spectacular.
  6. Fiesta de Chupacabras - This house had a lot of fun things at play. From the facade, masks, puppets, there’s a great style and personality to the house. This might move up on my list after a second run through.
  7. Halloween - This isn’t my favorite Michael Myers HHN outing, but it’s really fun. As always, great to hear the iconic source from the film in a house.
  8. The Horrors of Blumhouse - Freaky was meh, but The Black Phone might be one of the best sections to be apart of any “Horror of Blumhouse.” The new location was interesting.
  9. HellBlock Horror - Not a huge fan of the design, so hopefully the cast can elevate this house going forward.
  10. Spirits of the Coven - Biggest disappointment of the event so far. There was small moments of cool ideas but the pacing and repetitive scares destroyed this house's great concept.
Overall, I am really enjoying this year, especially in the scare zones. I do have some issues, but I am happy it's the fall Halloween season again!

Lastly, here's some photos I have taken this weekend...
IMG_8943.jpegIMG_9184.jpegIMG_9081.jpeg

Last edited:
My 3 nights in, first weekend ratings:

Houses:
1. Dead Man's Pier - Like Yeti, I can live in this house forever. Decent scares although some are predictable. Weak ending, but the rest of the house is gorgeous and makes up for it.
2. Bugs Eaten Alive - Sure, it's campy. But I had a few decent scares in here and fell into it by day 3. Most consistent of all the mazes.
3. Descendants of Destruction - This is so dark and legitimately scary. The full size subway car got me hooked.
4. Legends Collide - This got better over the weekend. I ended up really liking how this one came together.
5. Weeknd - I wanted to like this more. It sounds nice, but I just don't care for it much. Not even about the Weeknd music either, cause I LOVED Ghoulish!
6. Halloween - Not the strongest, but still a good representation of what we all love from this IP.
7. Spirits of the Coven - While the storyline here feels like a joke from a Family Guy episode, the maze itself ended up being creepy and full of some good scares.
8. Fiesta de Chupacabras - I really liked this the first time, it fell from the top 5 on day 2. I like the scenery but the overall maze is too long and sort of boring.
9. Hellblock Horror - Overall a pretty "meh" house.
10. Blumhouse - This one never got above 9. I've lost faith that any Blumhouse maze can be good at this point. Let's hope this gets better as HHN rolls on.

Shows:
1. Ghoulish! - This show is 10/10 AMAZING. Best thing I've seen at HHN in a very long time. The tone may not be "traditional HHN" but this had so many good Halloween vibes, it felt fresh and sarcastic at times, haunting in moments, and so much fun.
2. Nightmare Fuel - It's just okay... It has a lot of energy and sexy moments, but with this being almost a complete repeat of last year, I feel that HHN has settled here for cheap thrills rather than put on something with more substance.

This is definitely an HHN I’ll never forget. While I was there Friday and Saturday I only did four houses. Those houses were amazing epically Dead Mans. I could have do all houses but I started Friday off at sapphire Dislocating my elbow and going to the ER. I was also suppose to stay till Monday but went home Sunday.

They fixed me there and sent me back to HHN (Doctor Approved). I spent the first night only doing the SZ and going in the Tribute store. All the SZ are amazing this year! Scarecrow, Deadly Unrest, and Sweet Revenge all could be #1. Horrors of Halloween is the best opening zone I’ve seen(been going since 2013) The tribute store is a great one as well.

Saturday I did 4 houses (Hellblock, Dead Mans, Chup., and Halloween) Dead Man’s was the best but all them were great. I also saw Ghoulish. It was good. Not as good as 2018 IMO but better then 2019.

First time writing out a review. My thoughts may be disjointed. As a theatre major, most of my rankings are based on sets and ambiance rather than scariness. Houses are grouped, not numerically ranked. I used the judgement of if I had one last house I could go to before the event closed, which would I spend my time on. I live 2 hours from universal so I hit up stay and scream with express and leave before 10PM. I did not have time to see any shows and most scare zones were just a one time walk through.

Top 3 houses:

Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake
There’s nothing I can say here that hasn’t already been said. It’s beautiful. I could live in this house.

Fiesta de Chupacabras
What if the Mexico pavilion at Epcot was turned into a haunted house? This was my last house of the night and was just plain fun. The forced perspective facade, the projections, the firework effects. So much fun. If you haven’t listened to the Discover Universal podcasts that tell the backstory of the houses, you should.

Descendants of Destruction
A NYC subway after a global disaster, what could go wrong. The scale of the sets in this house are amazing. Walking through a subway car in a tent house, mind blown. This could easily end up being my favorite of the year. The smells in the house were unexpected and I left feeling hungry.

Middle 4:
The Horrors of Blumhouse
I’ve never been to HHN in Hollywood but I’ve seen plenty of walkthroughs. This house reminded me of a Hollywood house. It felt cheap. If you told me this was a replacement they built 2 weeks before the event started, I’d believe you. The transition between the 2 movies was strange. That being said, I didn’t hate it. Probably the house I got the best scares in. Great scare in the school in the Freaky section. The actors were hitting left and right. House wins worst facade of the year.

Halloween
When I was younger I remember watching a HHN documentary on the Travel Channel, they highlighted a scare in Screamhouse with the Caretaker walking down a hallway toward you. Same scare in this house and it got the guy in front of me so good. Highlight of my night. The full house sized house being in the middle was a nice departure from using it as a facade.

Bugs: Eaten Alive
While in line for this house it started pouring, so entering this house I was wet and cold. That may have effected my experience. I didn’t find it scary or humorous. I think I need to give this one another shot. The huge bug was impressive.

Spirits of the Coven
This was number 1 on my anticipated list. It has potential but the house was very dark. I spent most of the house not seeing much of anything

Bottom 3:
The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
The only thing I know about The Weeknd is he performed at the Super Bowl a couple years ago. The house was fine, just not my cup of tea. The hallway with lights was neat. The walk to and from this building will always be my least favorite

Hellblock Horror
Is this the worst house I’ve ever been in? No. Did I have any clue what was going on? Not really. Did the description of the house make it seem like there would be a bigger variety of monsters in the house? Yes. Rename this one Planetary Prison, because it seemed like ever monster was some sort of alien. The ending was fun.

Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
The facade was awesome. The first scene was incredible. The rest of the house blended together. Kind of confused why we had iron man mummies. The wolf man won. This walk to and from the house is equally unenjoyable.

Random thoughts:

Food lines throughout the park were insane. Waited 18 minutes to order at Mel’s.

Coke freestyle machines often had 15-20 people waiting in line.

The weekend express line could prevent me from doing that house again.

The variety in merch this year was nice to see.

Whoever suggest the raised walkways deserves a raise.

Scarezones were much improved over the past few years.

The lighting was noticeably darker and the actors actually seemed to be trying to scare (an interesting concept, I know)

Opening weekend has come and gone. I'm glad I got to experience opening night once, but as an out-of-town visitor, I will do my best to avoid it in the future. Anyways, here's my thoughts from the event:

General Thoughts
- There needs to be a better way to simulate stress tests for ops and F&B. They were severely overwhelmed this weekend, especially night one. Employee preview only helps them so much.
- Raised queues were genius.
- Queues and S&S need some misters, fans, and/or small cups of water installed. It Is brutally hot out, and they know that guests will pass out each night, yet continue to do nothing to address that.
- Not once was I yelled at to keep moving through the house. I don't even move slow, but have been yelled at for not being directly on top of the person in front of me previous years.
- Some of the Blinky cup mixed drinks legitimately have a drop of alcohol in them. A child could've chugged the Dirty Valentine drink and been fine.
- Best bar to hit are the ones behind Lombard's. All 3 times I went there I was either the only one, or one other guest in front of me max. Highly recommend the Poison Snakebite (think that's the name).

House Rankings
1. Dead Man's Pier - The most stunning house that I've ever been through. The opening facade knocks it out of the park. It feels like something that could be lived in. The ambiance, cool air, and scares are the perfect storm (bad pun, I know) for creating a #1 house. There's one scene about halfway through where I turned the corner and my jaw dropped. If you know, you know. 9.5/10

2. Universal Classic Monsters - Despite not being hyped for this one, it absolutely delivered. My first run was right out of S&S, and even with what felt like a 75% staffing level, it was a solid run. The house leans heavy on the Mummy, but it's so good that I didn't have any issues with that. Really felt like I was trapped in this never ending maze of tunnels and hallways. What really elevated this to #2 was my second run. The house was on fire. Overall I'd probably go 29, 31, 30 for ranking the UCM houses. 9/10
----
3. The Weeknd - Was very excited to see this house from the moment it was rumored. I have a couple gripes, but mostly positives. The music playing in the queue keeps the energy high, which made waiting more tolerable. Glad they added more songs. The lack of a true facade was a bit of a letdown, but at the same time I don't know what I would've made for a facade to this house. Some great scenes in this house and the soundtrack was awesome. Mirror room was really fun too. 8/10

4. Descendants of Destruction - Love love love the NYC subway concept of this house. I was hoping they'd find a way to put that Dead Exposure subway scene into the house, but even without it the house works great. Blown away with how well they can work within the limits of tent houses these days. There were some props that look like they go pretty high up. 8/10

5. Chupacabra - A tale of two runs. The first time I went through this house was pretty wack. I expected a little more of the "celebration", and felt like I never saw any of the scare actors. The forced perspective of the facade was the only real highlight on my first run. When I went through for a second time, it was much better. The group behind me bailed one scene in so there was a huge gap behind me, allowing for me to soak things in a little better. 7/10

6. Halloween - Pretty standard stuff from this house. Lots of Michael Myers, and all the major beats you'd expect it to hit. It was a little strange to jump right in without any real facade, but you reach the main house facade soon enough. Also, felt like there were a couple of really short Michaels, and I'm not even that tall. Maybe get them some platform shoes? 7/10

7. Bugs - First off, I don't enjoy bugs. The pre-event hype train got a little out of control. I thought I was going to bail out of this house, but that was not the case. With enough drinks in me, I made it through. It's definitely a little gross, but if you aren't creeped out by bugs you probably won't get very scared in this house. 6.5/10
----
8. Hellblock - It's very chaotic. Got scared a couple times, but the theme is so generic with the last minute switch that I never felt immersed in the way that other houses do. 6/10

9. Blumhouse - It was exactly what I expected. You hit the major scenes from each movie. The buzzsaw scene in freaky was way less exciting/dramatic that I anticipated it being. Was not a fan of the way they broke up the two houses. I'd much rather a transition where you stay in the dark? Black Phone had a lot of boring black hallways. Is there a GAT on those phones? Probably not, but it would've been cool. 5/10

10. Coven - Starts off very cool. The speakeasy theme was really unique, and I was digging the vibe of it. Then halfway through you just start going through these never ending tunnels where I felt like it was repetitive and lacked actual boo holes. This felt like one of the longest houses, yet lacked the scares to validate it's length. 5/10

Show Rankings

1. Nightmare Fuel - I gave some thoughts in the show's thread. Basically a hornier version of last year's show. Similar in quality, but loses a little bit of the appeal by copying a lot of last years acts. Still was a fun time, but I hope there's a change to the main storyline if it returns next year. Cast does a phenomenal job, and I'd love to see them all return for a new spin in 2023. 7.5/10

2. Ghoulish - It's a nice breather when you've done a ton of walking, but the show wasn't my favorite. Was definitely more on the family-friendly side of things, which is totally okay. I can appreciate having things that appeal to different groups. 6/10

Zone Rankings

1. Sweet Revenge - Such a fun, goofy zone. Characters are all awesome, and it has a great mood to it.
2. Graveyard: Deadly Unrest - Large cast that was really working to scare guests.
3. Scarecrow: Cursed Soil - Very fun set, honestly glad they didn't put a roof on the barn. Would've been so dark, hot, and crowded.
4. Conjure The Dark - So incredibly cramped, but there was one dude who's got a really cool gargoyle/viking looking outfit going on that kills it. Very intimidating presence.
5. Horrors of Halloween - Again, super cramped. The Pumpkin Lord was cool, but seems like he needed to be somewhere with more space for guests to just stop and stand instead of totally blocking traffic.

Finally hit everything, my initial HHN 31 thoughts:

Maybe I allowed myself to be overhyped by that amazing on-paper line-up. Maybe it was too early in September with record heat. Maybe I don't like crapped on when I buy a $500 ticket. Or maybe -- just maybe -- you'll all attack me this week, but come the end of October begrudgingly concur that I was probably right all along. Other than zones, it's a bad year. 22/24 bad. Ranking by tiers...

OUTSTANDING
1) Dead Man's Pier -- I reiterate, a work of art aimed at 4 of the 5 senses. A perfect mix of sets, costumes and effects, just dripping in atmosphere. Perhaps the most beautiful house of all time. Lack of scares and a true storyline keep it from the top houses ever, at least for now, but I foresee nights where I visit just to go in this house.

ABOVE AVERAGE
2) Monsters Collide -- a perfectly fine Mummy house. Great sets, convincing costumes, interesting and innovative effects, even a nice queue video (a dying art). I liked what little of the Wolfman we see, but wish we saw more "versus" ala Bride or Freddy v. Jason. Dracula felt like an afterthought, just popping up at the end. As is, lacking that "X factor," the weakest of the recent classic monster trilogy. But still enjoyable.

3) Horrors of Blumhouse -- See my posts in the thread, Freaky just ok, but Black Phone really worked for me. And together the "double feature" aspect makes it more than the sum of its parts. Still, most years this would be a pleasant surprise #5 -6 house.

AVERAGE, FAIR-TO-MIDDLING, MIDDLE OF THE ROAD
4) Bugs: Eaten Alive -- effective at scaring anyone with a bug phobia, but I wish it was kitschier. Sort of drops the 1950s House of Tomorrow gag after the first room, without ever showing us the robot butlers or flying car garage. Not over the top in a way Bloodengutz or Leave It to Cleaver was.

5) Fiesta de Chupacabra -- opening set and butcher shop cool, masks interesting visually, I'm on record as liking the puppets. Savage and mangy, but just a little bit derpy too, the way a wild animal would be. Someone mentioned Coven could use dialogue, and while I appreciate the authenticity, this house would benefit from a little Spanglish. Just a phrase here or there explaining why the natives are trying to kill us turistas.

6) Descendants of Destruction -- interesting mix of costumes, nice tight twists and turns, and what felt like a very long house. But never came together for me. A queue video might have helped. May improve over the course of the event, as well. cast seemed game.

MISSED THE MARK
7) Halloween -- if you haven't been going for a decade, I can understand if you really like this house. 80% of what made the original the GOAT is here. But ... that house did it better, with the facade straight into the living room, rather than the Black Hallway of Doom. And just little things, like the Silver Shamrock ad on the TV instead of static, or the final hidden Mike. The details are what made that house, and they just aren't as well executed here. Also, real talk, Michael Myers needs to be a Hoss, not a trim 5'9".

8) The Weeknd -- elephant in the room: that queue is insane. I can't imagine standing in it once it's even half-full. Express was technically a walk-on, still one of the longest walks I've made at HHN. That said, Billie Eilish's music always has an eerie undertone, even when she's not trying. Alice Cooper's peak material always had a sleazy creeper vibe. Their songs lend themselves to a haunted house. Videos aside, The Weeknd's uptempo pop music does not. I'm sorry, "Blinding Lights" will always be elementary school teachers and emergency room staff Tebowing on TikTok. The bar scene worked best because the song was the best fit to a house, but "Save Your Tears," earworm that it is, just doesn't fill me with dread. Overall just an incongruous collection of random scenes.

9) Coven -- starts off promising, with a nice set-up and cool 1920s costumes. But after the casino room -- when it feels like things should really get out of control -- it's just a lot of boring hallways. Storyline isn't clear at all. Just an overall disappointment so far.

10) Hellblock Horror -- prison set worked for me, random orcs and a Yeti did not. (Nothing against the actors, who were quite good, just the idea of random monsters locked up is too much of a suspension of disbelief for me.)

Zones are uniformly good. Scarecrow probably my favorite, but they all work, even Production Central. Wildfire would've worked if I hadn't been blown away by HNF last year. Ghoulish just didn't work for me. Overall vibe is great, the new regime is unquestionably great at Halloween iconography, and the park reflects that. But guests go to HHN for the houses, and this line-up does not live up to the hype.

I won’t leave a full review now or anything close to it. I went last night, got in around 9pm and stayed till closing 2am. I did six houses, three rides and ate a bunch of food. I’ve been going since 24 and I think it’s a really great year, so far. I definitely think it’s better than last year, off the no plexiglass alone. I’ve done all the Halloween houses and I thought this one was really good.

Scarezones are really cool and I got some great scares from the actors. I have not gotten to do any shows yet. I’m going again tonight to tackle the rest of the houses. But so far, I think it’s a great year. Definitely different opinion from the poster above me but I will come back with a full review soon.

Since it was only night 1, I'll put my rankings - but won't offer more thoughts until after the weekend ends.

1. Dead Man's Pier
2. Chupacabra
3. Weeknd
4. Halloween
5. Universal Monsters
6. Coven
7. Bugs
8. DoD
9. Blumhouse
10. Hellblock
I think this is the first time ever that my list has been really similar to yours.

My short review just so I can look back at it at the end of the season and be like man how was Hellblock not number one on my list at the beginning.

I feel like all the scareactors are doing a great job and putting in a ton of energy. The houses that are having problems are because of story, theming, last minute changes etc. I've only done 6 houses so far

1) Weeknd - Super fun house possibly one of the most fun I've been in, lots of energy, matches the source material very well. (PS I know who the Weeknd is and some of his music but thats about it before I watched videos for HHN)
2) Chupacabra - I really like this house a lot. Lots of cool facades, and the scareactors are bringing a lot of energy and jumps. My favorite thing is the soundtrack coupled with the sets. It creates this pace that builds and builds until the end
3) Dead Man's Pier - Gorgeous, Sight Lines, Ambience, Winter's Night would like to take some notes. A little light on the Scareactors and energy but amazing house
4) Monsters - First run was lots of energy and fun, second run was confusing because of lack of Dracula's. The story is too convoluted, my first go through I couldn't understand why the Mummy had a laser tag target on him.
5) DoD - Convoluted story again. I kept getting a sense of Deja Vu throughout the entire house like I had been there Depths of Fear, 1,000 Corpses, Havoc, and several more. The hodgepodge of monsters wasn't my cup of tea
6) Hellblock - Glad to see they didn't just throw their hands up and say oh well we lost a house, but again the hodgepodge of monsters everywhere didn't fit in and the story was convoluted. To me this and DoD feel similar just in a different location