Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
4. They do have to offer more things to do with zero to low-wait options. Whether that be a M&G, a behind-the-scenes museum of an upcoming film or the HHN creative process. Venues to use include the Media Center, SS 33, or maybe some of that ol Sting Alley house space they used to use.
This one needs to be boosted. We were done at a point on each of our three nights where we could have easily stayed another hour or two. But, neither of us were in the mood to wait in another house line. So we just said, “I guess I’m good for the night”

I absolutely do not understand the conviction that more shows wouldn’t help. Yes, an unpopular show won’t make much of a dent. But if you could come up with another show with the pull of Nightmare, you’re going to eat a fair number of people for 45 minutes or so - not to mention having another timed node with which to pull park traffic in a desirable direction. Another big show combined with a couple smaller ones and some timed or pop-up streetmosphere-type entertainment - ie something more akin to Knotts’ offerings - could make a real dent.

More then shows, though, I’d like to see something new like the oft-mentioned festival center, stuffed full of photo ops, meet and greets, food stands, exhibits, and seating areas, all with the theming level of the tribute store. Or something even better - I have no doubt Universal’s creatives can come up with something really cool if Comcast lets them, they’re a lot better at this then I am.

And some day there will almost certainly be an 11th house, although that’s not my preferred method for dealing with crowds.

PS: Brian and Clive’s posts are very good. That’s exactly the sort of thing we need.

I absolutely do not understand the conviction that more shows wouldn’t help. Yes, an unpopular show won’t make much of a dent. But if you could come up with another show with the pull of Nightmare, you’re going to eat a fair number of people for 45 minutes or so - not to mention having another timed node with which to pull park traffic in a desirable direction. Another big show combined with a couple smaller ones and some timed or pop-up streetmosphere-type entertainment - ie something more akin to Knotts’ offerings - could make a real dent. Now, that would cost Universal some money, but 1) the event is very, very lucrative, and improving guest satisfaction can make it more so, and 2) I am more concerned with guest experience then with Comcast’s internal accounting. When I see a disappointing blockbuster, my reaction is not, “boy , that really needed a couple more rewrites, but that would have raised the budget and really impacted the third quarter earnings statement, so it wasn’t possible. They should raise ticket prices.”

More then shows, though, I’d like to see something new like a festival center, stuffed full of photo ops, meet and greets, food stands, exhibits, and seating areas, all with the theming level of the tribute store. Or something even better - I have no doubt Universal’s creatives can come up with something really cool if Comcast lets them, they’re a lot better at this then I am.

And some day there will almost certainly be an 11th house, although that’s not my preferred method for dealing with crowds.

It's not that more shows "wouldn't help", it's "it can't be the only solution".

They have to do other things beyond "Just add a show".

It's not that more shows "wouldn't help", it's "it can't be the only solution".

They have to do other things beyond "Just add a show".
I agree with this, and your previous post, completely. With a lot of back-of-house functions moved to the new campus, 34 should be a year of substantial change, with the event expanding into new areas.

To take one thought, meet n greets make so much sense. Pushing IPs is an event priority, and you have so many characters that could pull crowds - Chucky, Tiffany, Vecna, Clickers, any of the Uni monsters, Minions dressed as Uni monsters or Chucky, etc. It’s cheap and the entire basis of Disneys competing event. It’s amazing it hasn’t happened yet.

I will say, Death Eaters in Hogsmeade helped fill a bit of this Halloween void in Islands for a little bit...
After EU opens, it’s going to be pretty tempting to put a family-focused Halloween event in IOA, either as an up charge or just as part of the daily entertainment. Death eaters in Hogsmeade, a few unique Marvel baddies, some extra Dinos in JP, Minions minioning…

Reactions: SeventyOne
It

Just keeping the discussion honest, FF Plus started in the mid 00s -- sadly a lot more than 10 years ago now. Back when the parks were slow and locals at HHN and Mardi Gras were the only thing keeping the lights on. I don't remember exactly when they added Express for the length of the event, but that's probably within the past 10 years. But to paraphrase @UniversalRBLX, the event is being run with systems designed for a very different Universal.
Yeah I was just saying how it was weird that we still have 3 types of frequent fear passes that allow so many visits, and the ultimate frequent fear pass is not that old is it? I don't remember the ultimate FFP being so old. When was ultimate FFP created?

I know folks have mentioned price sensitivity w/ locals getting RoF over FF/FFP. I really think this SAT was lighter than this SUN. Back when SEPT was slower than OCT, I always felt that SAT had lower crowds as it tends to be the highest priced night (day ticket/express/RIP all tend to cost more on SAT than WED&SUN).

I still feel a lot of multi day folks tend to come out early and leave early -- SEPT did not seem to slow down until around 1 AM, I think yesterday slowed by around 10:30.

What I find interesting around express is that it seems folks are using Express during Stay&Scream -- S&S use to be a way to get a jump on things for folks who did not use Express -- now it seems (to me) as if it is a way for Express users to be done by 9 PM.

Anyway, I also do not think the crowds have reached the numbers of that one week in SEPT.

Maybe stop using SF as a scarezone location. There is just not enough room to walk around comfortably and enjoy the scare actors.
We are eventually gonna run out of places for scarezones because they can't use Simpsons
Can't use minions. Can't use the area in front of transformers. SF area is a problem.

At some point only the Bourne area and mummy NY area will be the only zones left. So 2 zones for the entire park because people also always complain about the central park zone........
Every zone area is complained about or unavailable by now.
Zones are just as important to me as houses and shows and it feels like we are gonna end up with just 2 zones eventually

I'm thinking the same for an August opening.

My response to your next statement is pushing into 2024 spec, so I'll put it in spoilers:

My prediction is that we'll get an early announcement on Halloween or after the last night, similar to how Chucky was done. My guess, probably Five Nights at Freddy's. And we could get dates with that too!

As far as the lagoon show discussion, I think it helps - but it's not the solution. We'll probably continue to see Death Eaters as a yearly thing now. It's been beaten to death, but I think operating Bourne and Horror Makeup Show during HHN would help a lot as well.

Every little bit helps. If a lagoon show pulls a couple hundred folks from a Nightmare Fuel showing, that's good.
I will say. After watching Bourne again during our trip, I can understand why they don't want the drunken masses in there.

Beyond the technical requirements that show needs to keep running well, it's way too clean of a theater to have a bunch of sweaty frat boys/girls potentially tossing their cookies everywhere.

2019's MoM is literally my favorite thing I've ever done at the event lol

Keeping Nightmare Fuel, what could they put on a stage that Horror Nights guest want to see? We've discussed adding shows countless times, but what could you put into those shows that NF isn’t already doing that would be more interesting than a one and done

So we have megan horde in Orlando and we have the purge" baseball lady " in the peacock bar area
And I saw on Hollywood that the grabber from the black phone movie was walking around. I saw an Instagram post
City walk here has the blumhouse photo experience

It feels to me like blumhouse has enough characters for a blumhouse show. Maybe a show with sections for each movie. Have a megan section and a purge section and other stuff. The promotion of blumhouse properties helps them a lot and peacock keeps putting banners around the park
It seems so obvious that a peacock/ blumhouse dancing type of show could work really well.

Also
We are seeing death eaters in potter.
Why not create a full potter show of darkness and evil. Not just scareactors around but what if they had a full stage show . Or have other characters from the movie show up.
There could be some magic stunt potter show about death eaters and stuff.

People have brought up running the Horror Makeup Show during HHN but I imagine that is easier said than done. Instead, how about using it as a meet and greet with characters in rotating sets? It's already horror themed and the characters could be on the stage.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
People have brought up running the Horror Makeup Show during HHN but I imagine that is easier said than done. Instead, how about using it as a meet and greet with characters in rotating sets? It's already horror themed and the characters could be on the stage.

The only thing that worries me about a meet and greet is if universal sees it as a way to make money by charging for it or if it's only for annual pass holders or something .
Like the Chucky experience this year. That Chucky thing they did this year ( by coconut club?)
And meet and greets tend to be short on time so universal needs to come up with something else added to the meet and greet like a dance show or a magic show using movie characters or something

7. This is last because it's a lot tougher with minimal options but... find a way to spookify a ride. The easy answer for now is Rockit. Give the option of limited-time horror soundtracks of houses used during the year. Simpsons would've been great but those darn rights.

How about...Mummy in the Dark? Turn off most of the lighting/visual effects in the ride, leave it to your imagination.

I would assume potential licensing issues would keep them from changing up Gringotts, Transformers, or Men in Black.

This could work, but like people have said a million times, a more "adult" version of Horror Makeup would likely draw a good bit of attention and it would get people out of the streets.

Not a lot of people, but it would do something - and they wouldn't really have to do a lot to it. Add another effect or 2, some more adult jokes, and bam: "new show."

And obviously the 11th house is coming. It won't be the one and only fix, but I think it will help. They will likely move forward with a house in the VC flex space and a house in F&F (unless they decide to use the MIB tent again).

As far as zones...
I'd be totally happy if they put the pumpkins and some lighting/music in Central Park with a few roaming actors. I would say they can use the KKFOS area for another zone, but that would affect the Sting Alley food area.

Would it be possible to shift the entrance of the F&F house and have a small zone in front of F&F?

This could work, but like people have said a million times, a more "adult" version of Horror Makeup would likely draw a good bit of attention and it would get people out of the streets.

Not a lot of people, but it would do something - and they wouldn't really have to do a lot to it. Add another effect or 2, some more adult jokes, and bam: "new show."

And obviously the 11th house is coming. It won't be the one and only fix, but I think it will help. They will likely move forward with a house in the VC flex space and a house in F&F (unless they decide to use the MIB tent again).

As far as zones...
I'd be totally happy if they put the pumpkins and some lighting/music in Central Park with a few roaming actors. I would say they can use the KKFOS area for another zone, but that would affect the Sting Alley food area.

Would it be possible to shift the entrance of the F&F house and have a small zone in front of F&F?
I don't think they'd ever do it for a few reasons, but I'd love a horror make-up show version where they go over some of the creations from that year's event. Talk about the different techniques (masks, applications, airbrushing, etc) and even go into the lore, history, and design development of key HHN creatures

I don't think they'd ever do it for a few reasons, but I'd love a horror make-up show version where they go over some of the creations from that year's event. Talk about the different techniques (masks, applications, airbrushing, etc) and even go into the lore, history, and design development of key HHN creatures
That would be great!

They'd probably rather incorporate stuff like that into Behind the Screams sadly lol

How about...Mummy in the Dark? Turn off most of the lighting/visual effects in the ride, leave it to your imagination.

I would assume potential licensing issues would keep them from changing up Gringotts, Transformers, or Men in Black.
I think mummy has been pretty popular during the event as it is. I am not sure that would pull guests away form anything.

Reactions: SeanPhilly
I think mummy has been pretty popular during the event as it is. I am not sure that would pull guests away form anything.

Longer lines. Lines for mummy could be as long as the houses with something new added.

Or what if they did a mini house or something related to the mummy ? Is there any space in this building to make an experience event?

With KidZone being opened back up for 2024, could they open ET?

I think the biggest impact another attraction during HHN would have is obviously Bourne - a lot of people pulled off the streets for 25 minutes could really help.

And as awful as the walk would be, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a house portal at La Bamba, could help with spreading crowds a bit more. 1 tent entrance at MIB entrance, 1 at MIB bathrooms, 1 parade entrance in Kidzone, 1 at La Bamba. They can try to avoid clustering entrances as much as possible.

With KidZone being opened back up for 2024, could they open ET?

I think the biggest impact another attraction during HHN would have is obviously Bourne - a lot of people pulled off the streets for 25 minutes could really help.

And as awful as the walk would be, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a house portal at La Bamba, could help with spreading crowds a bit more. 1 tent entrance at MIB entrance, 1 at MIB bathrooms, 1 parade entrance in Kidzone, 1 at La Bamba. They can try to avoid clustering entrances as much as possible.
Based off of my recent trip, ET is barely a draw during the day. Plus, it doesn't really play too much to what the HHN crowd is looking for.
I do think that they need to rejigger the portals a bit though.

Based off of my recent trip, ET is barely a draw during the day. Plus, it doesn't really play too much to what the HHN crowd is looking for.
I do think that they need to rejigger the portals a bit though.
Unfortunately it's not really possible to spread out the soundstage portals, but the other side of the park definitely has room to spread out a bit.

For those that were around for the dual-park days, where did you enter to get to the other park?