Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Construction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think Torture Faire looks fine in person so far, but on the topic of HHN using "it's suppose to look cheap" concepts, I think HHN has evolved beyond that. They tried that with Chucky last year and it resulted in one of the worst houses in recent history. I can understand why they've relied on this concept back then, but the event generates way too much revenue nowadays to justify it.

Swamp of the Undead looks like a true HHN scare zone. Blumhouse is lining up to be another CryptTV synergy zone, but will reserve judgement. I want to be wrong.
“Looking cheap” at a major theme park doesn’t need to - and shouldn’t - look cheap. The Sweets zone in NYC was meant to look like a low-budget local Halloween celebration but featured big impressive floats. Dinoland at Disney (which many hate but I like quite a bit) is meant to be a run down tourist trap but is stuffed full of witty details and fairly elaborate structures. Building a twisted version of a ren fair is a fine idea for a zone, but the cheapness needs to read as a design decision, not a financial imperative. It needs to be full of details playing on the fake “cheapness,” to be a ren fair taken to its illogical extreme. We’ll see what the finished product looks like. Honestly, HHN has an AMAZING batting average, so a little short-term faith is warranted. Still… Chucky happened.

I think Torture Faire looks fine in person so far, but on the topic of HHN using "it's suppose to look cheap" concepts, I think HHN has evolved beyond that. They tried that with Chucky last year and it resulted in one of the worst houses in recent history. I can understand why they've relied on this concept back then, but the event generates way too much revenue nowadays to justify it.

Swamp of the Undead looks like a true HHN scare zone. Blumhouse is lining up to be another CryptTV synergy zone, but will reserve judgement. I want to be wrong.
I'm not gonna say anything about faire until we see the costumes but I kind of agree. the costumes and music will make or break the zone.
like vamp. if they are going cheapy looking then I hope it's fun and funny like vamp. ramp up the camp
push it all the way. 100% camp

Reactions: Midnight Detective
It doesn't look cheap? It looks like a Ren Faire! You're not being transported to a foreign land or time, you've entered a festival turned sinister. It's a really unique and fun twist on the theming of the best zones that have gone into the area - public gathering turning horrific.

If it was straight up stone, instead of painted stone walls, it would look medieval. While I would love a medieval/fantasy zone, making it a Ren Faire also allows for better theming in contrast to its surrounding environment. The suspension of belief is much easier to maintain. I hope the people in the torture devices look like guests.

Last edited:
EDIT - Remember, this is the Sinist3r zone. Going comedy with it undercuts the whole principle of that personality.
I have to disagree.
You find a lot of comedy/camp in the splatterpunk/grindhouse/slasher subgenres that fall under Sinist3r's body horror/visceral horror aspect. Even Freddy went from straight slasher-flic to embracing comedy elements as the series progressed. Or look at Child's Play.

It doesn't look cheap? It looks like a Ren Faire! You're not being transported to a foreign land or time, you've entered a festival turned sinister. It's a really unique and fun twist on the theming of the best zones that have gone into the area - public gathering turning horrific.

If it was straight up stone, instead of painted stone walls, it would look medieval. While I would love a medieval/fantasy zone, making it a Ren Faire also allows for better theming in contrast to its surrounding environment. The suspension of belief is much easier to maintain. I hope the people in the torture devices look like guests.
but if that's the case then it shouldn't go serious. that's the worst thing they can do.
if anything this is going to remind me of the movie Role Models. or something like that lol.

there's no way a cheap ren faire is not going to come off as comedic.

but if that's the case then it shouldn't go serious. that's the worst thing they can do.
if anything this is going to remind me of the movie Role Models. or something like that lol.

there's no way a cheap ren faire is not going to come off as comedic.
I'm incredibly biased I love Role Models and KISS. And Ren Faires. Knights of Badassdom. Medieval Times. The concept (but not current state) of the Excalibur in Las Vegas.

Either way I'm excited!

I'm incredibly biased I love Role Models and KISS. And Ren Faires. Knights of Badassdom. Medieval Times. The concept (but not current state) of the Excalibur in Las Vegas.

Either way I'm excited!
well I actually really love role models too lol. I own it. I also like the medieval times scenes in CABLE GUY. i own that movie too lol.

that's why I was saying. I hope the zone is campy. it would be more fun if it's not serious. like the cable guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Detective
PHOTO UPDATE: Scare Zone Set up for Halloween Horror Nights 33 is heating up as we're a little over 3 weeks away from Opening Night.