Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Handicapped Access - Anyone Been w/ Wheelchair?

Aug 19, 2009
Southern US not Fl
I am planning to go to HHN this year have not been in a few years.The16TH was the last one I was at
She has never been to one.
I was just wondering if my fiance will be able to go thru houses
she has her own ECV and for some rides they make her get in a transfer chair.
Are the hallways wide enough?
Will I have a problem pushing her in the dark?
The lines are not a problem I am planning to get FFP+ and go the 16th-18th (3 nights)
Not getting express figure three days should be enough if we stay and scream with our APs

P.S. will be 49 on October 16th so I should have a Happy Birthday.

I am planning to go to HHN this year have not been in a few years.The16TH was the last one I was at
The lines are not a problem I am planning to get FFP+ and go the 16th-18th (3 nights)
Not getting express figure three days should be enough if we stay and scream with our APs

I believe by law they have to make the walkways handicap accessible. I know in situations with stairs at the entrance of the house i have seen a ramp off to the side and pretty sure its there for that sole reason.

All houses are wheelchair accessible. I don't believe ECV's are able to be brought through the houses. Most of the people I know who are wheelchair bound just bring standard wheelchairs through the event.

Yeah, I've seen numerous wheelchair users. You have to transfer to traditional wheelchairs if not already in one. And all houses, as stated above, are required by law to be ADA accessible. Last year, for example, Dead End had an entrance that required going up a small set of stairs to get to. A ramp was set along the side of the facade to allow wheelchairs in. Another example from last year was the "crouching room" in the House of Horrors. Because that hallway was not ADA accessible, there was an alternate route for guests in wheelchairs and their companions to continue on the next room.

They had to remove hey from the floors in Hades because of the difficulty getting wheelchairs through, and yes they have ramps available where ever step come into play.

They had to remove hey from the floors in Hades because of the difficulty getting wheelchairs through, and yes they have ramps available where ever step come into play.

I have been wondering about artsy authentic stuff such as this or sand. Alas, they must work around such things and get even more creative than making a tactile floor experience.

If none of you have seen the plans for these houses, and other serious-business houses around the country, you would all be floored by how much of the plans are for ADA, FIRE, EXITS, exits to WHERE and then exit to what. The plans only hint at what the rooms might look like and what path will be taken. It was so disappointing to see them for the first time, yet fascinating if not overwhelming from a technical/state law perspective.

I have been wondering about artsy authentic stuff such as this or sand. Alas, they must work around such things and get even more creative than making a tactile floor experience.

If none of you have seen the plans for these houses, and other serious-business houses around the country, you would all be floored by how much of the plans are for ADA, FIRE, EXITS, exits to WHERE and then exit to what. The plans only hint at what the rooms might look like and what path will be taken. It was so disappointing to see them for the first time, yet fascinating if not overwhelming from a technical/state law perspective.

Life Safety plans override everything.

I was a wheelchair user during the event in 2011 (broke my tib/fib in my left leg), and it was still very enjoyable!

As noted: all of the houses are ADA compliant, and where there is a change in elevation using stairs, there is a ramp that accompanies it. All of the hallways are wide enough and then some (I believe ADA requirements are 4+ feet), no space was really too tight to get through. If there was a dark patch in the house, the house attendants would slyly light up the floor with their flashlights.

Just make sure whoever is pushing that wheelchair doesn't leave your fiance in the middle of the hallway after being scared.. :angry:

My partner has walking difficulties but doesn't use a wheelchair, we just contact UO a week before coming and asked about the houses and if we would encounter any steps etc... Turned out there was only 1 thing to worry about and it was inside the house whose name escapes me, I think it was Dead End. It had a section that involved crouching down (that we experienced on the tour) but on the night it had been made into a regular walk way.

By City Of Orlando all walls have to be big enough for a wheelchair to make a full circle without hitting a wall. If this does not happen the final inspector will not sign off for people to be in it. She will be fine. :smiley:

I have a friend who's been going to HHN the past 10 years and she has been in a wheelchair every year. She has no problem getting in the houses. They are made to be wheelchair accessible.