Harry Potter Reboot Series | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter Reboot Series

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The show is only pointless if people don't watch

If they do then I'd say its worth making even if not much will change but....books 4-7 have lots of things cut

Reactions: fryoj
If they do then I'd say its worth making even if not much will change but....books 4-7 have lots of things cut
It's interesting because I think the first film is generally regarded as the worst, yet it's the most slavish adaptation. I know some Hermione stans will fight me, but cutting SPEW from book 2 was a smart move. I forget all the changes from book 6 to film but I remember thinking they made for a tighter, more dramatic narrative.

Again, memory foggy and I read the books as an adult, but the only thing I truly missed from the films were Dumbledore and Voldermort's full origin stories, and both those seem better suited to independent projects no matter. The only other positive I could see would be fixing plot holes -- introduce horcruxes and the Deathly Hallows early so they're not an obvious retcon, do something to make the time-turner make a bit of real world sense -- but nothing in JKR's personality suggests she'd allow that.

I think it's kind of sad JK Rowling was someone who came from nothing to write a book series that inspired so many kids with messages of inclusiveness, self empowerment, and reaching your goals.

Now she has become another bitter rich jerk.

I think the books have enough good material that the movies were limited on getting into that makes a series warranted. I just hope the rights include keeping JK away to an extent at this point. I feel like past her would hate her current self.

Twitter is not real life.

The only thing this thing fails is if they cheap out and it's poor quality. If they pump money into it, cast the right actors (far from a guarantee with how iconic the original cast is), and creative a compelling visual world (again, tall order -- do they just repeat what worked in the movies, or go radically different? Will audiences accept that?), it will likely do gangbusters. Hogwarts Legacy was a smash hit, and I think with some distance, most people agree that game was "good, not great." People still flock to the Potter park installations and buy loads of merchandise. Unless they really flub it, this will be a massive hit, so of course they're going for it.

If it can poison the real flesh and blood brains of powerful people and influence their decisions, then it definitely can be.

I'm not defending JKR or saying Twitter can't influence individuals or trends. I'm saying the "consensus" that is often formed on Twitter -- in this case, liking Potter is a faux pas/the brand is canceled and won't succeed -- does not reflect the actual reality of the rest of the world. The sample size is too small to begin with -- but more crucially, too specific to a certain type of demographic.

If it can poison the real flesh and blood brains of powerful people and influence their decisions, then it definitely can be.
The rich and powerful hated Twitter so much they just took it over

I'm not defending JKR or saying Twitter can't influence individuals or trends. I'm saying the "consensus" that is often formed on Twitter -- in this case, liking Potter is a faux pas/the brand is canceled and won't succeed -- does not reflect the actual reality of the rest of the world. The sample size is too small to begin with -- but more crucially, too specific to a certain type of demographic.
The average person is too stressed out and/or broke to believe boycotting anything matters nor are willing to separate from a community they have felt a part of for now decades like harry potter. It sucks JK is an ahole. But much of the community is more than her and better.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's incredibly sad what she's become but I'm beyond tired of people reaching for straws trying to recast the books as some Birth of a Nation-esque manifesto.