Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Has anyone ever taken the metro to Universal Studios Hollywood?

May 2, 2015
Hello everyone! I live in the Los Angeles area so it's fairly close to Universal Studios Hollywood, but I've always wondered if any of you ever experienced taking to the metro to the park. I would like to know how long it usually takes to get there and how many stops it usually takes for you. I know it varies upon location, so if you take one in Los Angeles or anywhere near there.. Please share your experiences! 

I used to exclusively take the metro, the blue line to the red line. Depending on where you're taking it from I could tell you how long. It took me an hour total, from long beach to universal city.

With the red line though, I don't recommend taking it late at night, and certainly not alone in the evening. It can be a little rough sometimes.

Generally it's safe and very cheap. All day unlimited ride passes are usually $5. Way better than paying for gas and parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to exclusively take the metro, the blue line to the red line. Depending on where you're taking it from I could tell you how long. It took me an hour total, from long beach to universal city.

With the red line though, I don't recommend taking it late at night, and certainly not alone in the evening. It can be a little rough sometimes.

Generally it's safe and very cheap. All day unlimited ride passes are usually $5. Way better than paying for gas and parking.
You seem to be more knowledgeable about this than me. Have you ever had any experience with traveling the Metrolink and transfering to a Metro train. I live out here in West Covina where there is a Metrolink station near me. Would it still be cheaper taking a Metrolink and paying for a metro train in LA Union?

I too take the red line on a constant basis. It's a pretty long ride from East LA to Universal City but way worth it. I have a month pass however so it's not really too much for me. That said I do agree with what is said below, take someone with you especially when you're going back in the afternoon. Ive seen another innocent passenger get hit by a homeless man for no reason (he was literally just reading a book) and drug deals going on within the subway late at night. However this type of stuff is rare, so just hang in there if something happens!

If you're purchasing a new TAP card, the price has jumped to $8, with an all day now being $7. 

Ive taken the Metro to Universal a few times, very cheap way to avoid the parking fees. Also it is usually a long trip, but that means I enjoy the park a bit more since I traveled far to get there.

If you're purchasing a new TAP card, the price has jumped to $8, with an all day now being $7.
Jeez it gets pricier every time I blink... I bought a car recently so I've been on the metro in a year.

Everything else you said was spot on too. I've seen that stuff too!

You seem to be more knowledgeable about this than me. Have you ever had any experience with traveling the Metrolink and transfering to a Metro train. I live out here in West Covina where there is a Metrolink station near me. Would it still be cheaper taking a Metrolink and paying for a metro train in LA Union?
I'm not too sure about the metrolink sadly...it would depend on how much the fare is, because transfers are pretty cheap still I think.

From the Baldwin Park station to Union Station it's about 40min. and costs $14.50 R/T You can get a $10 weekend pass.

I took the Gold Line from East LA, connected to the Red Line at Union Station and went to Universal.  Total train ride including connection was 1 hour.  Total price one way is only $1.75.

Remember a few things though:

- This drastically increases your travel time.  Take into account the shuttle at Universal which takes you up and down the Lankershim Hill.

- Highly recommend not taking the train during late hours of the evening due to "crazies" on the train.

- Pay close attention if you transfer trains at Union Station.  MetroLink connections are available, but give yourself extra time because the Metro Rail can have heavier delays compared to MetroLink.

I use this option in a worse case scenario.  I have been on the train after 8pm and its more important to know exactly where you need to go in this environment.

You don't live too far from me.  The Gold Line Atlantic Station in East LA has a free parking structure immediately south of the 60 freeway .  Be careful, it will fill up early on weekdays, but weekends you should be fine.  I would choose this option over the MetroLink anyday.  $3.50 round trip!