Hawkeye (Disney+) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Hawkeye (Disney+)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And plot convenience/technology all in one.

How dare a show based on comic book characters be so comic book-y ...

They even did the whole "falling hero saved by a flagpole/awning" trope, only turned up to 11. And, appropriate for a Hawkeye show, villains did face turns. Even trick arrows!

First MCU show to stick the landing, and it did that by giving us a silver/bronze age comic brought to life.

Reactions: Nick
I would love to hear why. Story wise? Action? Characters? Humor? To me besides the argument of characters I don't think it does anything well enough to be called the best but honestly open to hear real reasons why people love this show because I was very disappointed

I greatly enjoyed that it was mostly a small-scale "heroes vs. criminals in New York City" story. Few MCU-altering events, no really fantastical stuff, just a pretty breezy "buddy" action show.

And I also think some of the previous Disney+ shows have been pretty flawed. WANDAVISION had higher highs, but also botched some things and had a really skewed moral compass. FALCON & WINTER SOLDIER felt heavily compromised by the truncated shooting schedule (the Flagsmashers were quite badly handled).

LOKI is close behind HAWKEYE for me. Does a lot of fun things to expand the lore of the MCU... though I don't fully love how Loki is essentially completely NOT a villain at all anymore.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Ranking the shows so far

1. Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Flag Smashers as a whole could have been better, but Karli was a suitable antagonist and Bucky is given much needed development. Also Sam as Captain America, yes.
2. What If?: Fun look into marvel AUS.
3. Hawkeye: Kate is a fine protagonist, and Clint is still lacking in character but much better than previous installments (mind controlled in Avengers and given shoe-horned “development” in Age of Ultron and Endgame). I do feel it should have been longer; it was nice to see Yelena again but plot-wise she was more of a distraction.
4. Wandavision: The format hurts. I remember Malcolm in the Middle quite well; but I sure as hell didn’t see anything from the 40s so the sitcom jokes didn’t land. Also I’m not fond of Wanda’s Scarlet Witch costume; maybe it’s the horns.
5. Loki: I HATE YOU SYLVIE YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!!! Also it feels like the justice league tease scene in Dawn of Justice expanded into 6 episodes, lots of buildup to the Kang business and not a lot of character. Also this Loki also sucks; a weaker version of his “Sacred Timeline” version.

I give Hawkeye a B-. Its worth it for the post credits musical scene alone.

Personally the show has its highlights such as the chemistry between Kate and Yelena was excellent, the line about "Don't make me like you more" is almost exactly how I feel like the entire audience feels about Yelena.

Kate won on a technicality and even then Wilson walked away with barely a scratch on him. I believe the opening scene of Echo will be her shooting the gun next to his ear, and beating him to a pulp and leaving him blind. Other than that, I do love that they didn't kill off Hawkeye which was my fear coming into this show, but thankfully more and more they are setting up the Young Avengers and they've introduced almost the entire full team at this point.
I think you are pretty much on point with where Echo will go with things, I just hope that we are going to see Kingpin rebuild and have a strong team around him, which I think will eventually be the Dark Avengers.

This seems to be Kingpin at a low point, and I think fans of the Marvel series are having a hard time understanding that he’s not playing Netflix Kingpin, he’s playing MCU Kingpin, which is an entire new story and take on the character. The look and actor may be the same, but that’s all Marvel has kept. Makes me interested to see exactly where they take Daredevil.

And yes, Florence Pugh is great as Yelena and The scenes between Kate and Yelena are great.

Reactions: GadgetGuru

According to The Cosmic Circus, a filmed but deleted coda would have confirmed that Fisk survives the point-blank shooting that occurs off-screen. (In the comics, Maya's bullet blinds Fisk for a time as he rebuilds his criminal empire.)

The scene sees Barton sending Kingpin the retrieved Ronin sword he used to kill William Lopez (Zahn McClarnon), Maya's father, who dies by the blade of Barton's masked ninja alter-ego before the events of Avengers: Endgame. The sword comes with a warning: stay away from his protege-slash-partner Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) and his family, including his retired S.H.I.E.L.D. agent wife Laura (Linda Cardellini).

Also, D’Onofrio talked about if he’s playing the same Kingpin or not. He basically says the way he acts and plays the character is the same, but the storyline is different and this version is much stronger. So basically an “inspired by”version of the Netflix character.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87

According to The Cosmic Circus, a filmed but deleted coda would have confirmed that Fisk survives the point-blank shooting that occurs off-screen. (In the comics, Maya's bullet blinds Fisk for a time as he rebuilds his criminal empire.)

The scene sees Barton sending Kingpin the retrieved Ronin sword he used to kill William Lopez (Zahn McClarnon), Maya's father, who dies by the blade of Barton's masked ninja alter-ego before the events of Avengers: Endgame. The sword comes with a warning: stay away from his protege-slash-partner Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) and his family, including his retired S.H.I.E.L.D. agent wife Laura (Linda Cardellini).

Also, D’Onofrio talked about if he’s playing the same Kingpin or not. He basically says the way he acts and plays the character is the same, but the storyline is different and this version is much stronger. So basically an “inspired by”version of the Netflix character.

Eh, I feel like Kingpin’s actor kinda have a safe “Nonanswer”. I feel like they will still acknowledge the Netflix series without officially acknowledging it since the series is from Netflix.

But yeah I hoped they weren’t just gonna kill him off, but I was still disappointed with how he was treated in his first full appearance of the MCU

Eh, I feel like Kingpin’s actor kinda have a safe “Nonanswer”. I feel like they will still acknowledge the Netflix series without officially acknowledging it since the series is from Netflix.

But yeah I hoped they weren’t just gonna kill him off, but I was still disappointed with how he was treated in his first full appearance of the MCU
I can get over most of it, I just have a hard time believing that the Kingpin has entrusted the freakin Tracksuit Mafia goons to be his men on the ground.

Reactions: Freak
Watched the episode again tonight. I feel like they nailed the tone that they really needed to hit for the character (Kingpin) in the opening scene with Kazi and then again with Maya. The dialogue was great in these scenes, as was the menacing presence that D'Onofrio brought to the screen.

I guess my issue with how they handled him was that they really built him up as this fierce person that you don't want to face (and granted they did do a good job that this version of the character can really take a freakin' hit). Then next thing you know, new-to-the-job Kate Bishop manages to beat Kingpin one-on-one. Of course, he was beating her up real good before that and she managed to out-smart him.

I don't have a problem with the off-screen death, as Maya was on a vengeance tour at that point, so her wanting to kill her uncle for him killing her father made total sense for Maya's character. It just felt, especially with the Hawaiian shirt and matching hat, and him surviving all the damage that he did that they took a turn in a much more comic book-y route with the character, but not necessarily in a good way. Hopefully they refine him going forward if he is to stick around (which I believe he will).

Reactions: Freak and belloq87
Kinda feel like rewatching this series in time for the holidays, but then again I didn’t care for most of the Phase 4 entries and I don’t really care about this…
I think I feel similarly. The MCU Disney+ shows really feel like filler between the larger cinematic episodes. Every show kind of plods along, doling out little bits of excitement and lots of dull exposition so there's very little to find yourself coming back for. The replay value is way low.