Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Ghostbusters

I don't know what it is about this year but I really haven't been able to help myself with spoilers. That being said, I don't know how I feel about how they are doing Stay Puft. I guess I have to wait to see it in person before I make any real judgements, but I looked at some photos from Orlando since I'm most likely not gonna go this year, and their Stay Puft looks weird, and I guess we're doing it the same way, so that scares me.

I don't know what it is about this year but I really haven't been able to help myself with spoilers. That being said, I don't know how I feel about how they are doing Stay Puft. I guess I have to wait to see it in person before I make any real judgements, but I looked at some photos from Orlando since I'm most likely not gonna go this year, and their Stay Puft looks weird, and I guess we're doing it the same way, so that scares me.
Not quite the same. Orlando used a big, flat face, whereas Hollywood's maze has a 20 foot figurine that starts at SP's chest, with the face projected on the head. You can sorta see Stay Puft in the TPI image with the static ghostbusters, here:

First look at Universal's Horror Nights Ghostbusters maze

EDIT: Oops meant the slashfilm one:

Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights Preview – /Film

Last edited:
Interesting detail about the newspaper that you see in the behind the scenes images:

I always wondered if they actually write a full article for each clipping, but what they actually do is write headlines, a lede, and then two paragraphs that they copy/paste to fill up the rest of the article. Since you're being hustled through, you probably only get through a sentence or two before something happens and your attention is drawn away. Fun.

IMG_9458-1068x712.jpg
Read the article on the right.

Interesting detail about the newspaper that you see in the behind the scenes images:

I always wondered if they actually write a full article for each clipping, but what they actually do is write headlines, a lede, and then two paragraphs that they copy/paste to fill up the rest of the article. Since you're being hustled through, you probably only get through a sentence or two before something happens and your attention is drawn away. Fun.

View attachment 10856
Read the article on the right.
What will it take to read the article clearly. What will it take to read the article clearly. What will it take to read the article clearly.

Dp, but a few more details about Ghostbusters came up:

The zombie cab driver will be in a taxi outside the maze, and he'll be flipping through the channels to different songs/news reports from GB (Boney Brothers?)

Slimer spits, also.

I also saw the words "dark environments" again, but my hope is that there's some blacklight art in most of them, something to draw the eye.

Preview - Tour the "Ghostbusters" Maze at Universal Studios Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights 2019 - LaughingPlace.com

PHOTOS: Sneak peek at Hollywood's mazes for Halloween Horror Nights 2019

Last edited:

The entrance will be the firehouse. Outside will have the cab ghost, and he'll occasionally can be seen switching between radio stations. One will be the "Ghost fever has gripped new york" along with songs from the movie. Louis Tully will wander outside and ask for a sign. If you give the wrong word he'll go "You'll burn in hell with the rest!", give he the right word and he'll give you his card from his accounting firm. The Ghostbusters car can be heard revving, and sometimes you can hear the siren.

You then enter the lobby with Janine. She'll have various voice triggers the actor can pick (the usual "Ghostbusters, what ya want?", one where she thinks you're the EPA "Excuse me, where you going?", or longer calls like the one with Dana or the hotel) Egon will bust through a nearby door with a trap (has a mini fogger in it), Some other times it'll be Winston.

You then enter the containment chamber with the lights going on and off and sirens blaring. The room will have a disappearing room effect where the walls blow up and you see into the spirit realm. The Scoleri Brothers will be electrocuted and scare. You'll see the ghosts playing cards and leaning up against the walls. Sparky's head will float off from his body, and Gertrude's upper half will remove from the body. As you leave, the other Scoleri Brother and Slimer will scare.

You then enter into the library, where the shelf doors will open and close, along with symmetrical book stacking. The Library Ghost will materialize out of thin air, and transform into her beast form. You then enter into the spirit realm version of the room, where the Library Ghost will scare.

You pass the supernatural signpost for The Sedgewick Hotel sign, where it'll light up with blacklight and paint. You pass the elevator door as it opens, where Venkman will exit out of. He'll have multiple voice triggers the actor can pick (He can exit the door and hear his proton pack start up, as he then says "Oh im sorry, I thought you were someone else" or he'll exit and say "Anyone seen a ghost?" or "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" ) Ray can be seen nearby trying to get Venkmans attention to a nearby Slimer (projection) eating food. Venkman being Venkman doesn't notice, so Ray tries to blast Slimer. You turn the corner as Slimer (charge puppet) charges at you, and right before he makes contact, the lights go out as water sprays on you, as you hear Venkman say "He slimed me..." You then enter into the spirit realm version of the scene, where Slimer attacks again.

You pass the supernatural signpost for Central Park West, and enter the apartment living room. Dana can be seen struggling with the hands on the couch, and a nearby door can be seen stretching. You pass the corner, and get scared by a Terror Dog.

You then enter into a black hall with a light hitting on you, as you hear Gozer say "Chose the form of the destructor", as you then hear Ray say "...I couldn't help it, It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" Gozer will also scare in this hall.

You then enter into the rooftop, where a 20 foot Stay Puft towers over you. The four Ghostbusters can be seen firing at him, as Stay Puffs face gets angry.

As you exit the maze, Slimer will give one final scare.

The entrance will be the firehouse. Outside will have the cab ghost, and he'll occasionally can be seen switching between radio stations. One will be the "Ghost fever has gripped new york" along with songs from the movie. Louis Tully will wander outside and ask for a sign. If you give the wrong word he'll go "You'll burn in hell with the rest!", give he the right word and he'll give you his card from his accounting firm. The Ghostbusters car can be heard revving, and sometimes you can hear the siren.

You then enter the lobby with Janine. She'll have various voice triggers the actor can pick (the usual "Ghostbusters, what ya want?", one where she thinks you're the EPA "Excuse me, where you going?", or longer calls like the one with Dana or the hotel) Egon will bust through a nearby door with a trap (has a mini fogger in it), Some other times it'll be Winston.

You then enter the containment chamber with the lights going on and off and sirens blaring. The room will have a disappearing room effect where the walls blow up and you see into the spirit realm. The Scoleri Brothers will be electrocuted and scare. You'll see the ghosts playing cards and leaning up against the walls. Sparky's head will float off from his body, and Gertrude's upper half will remove from the body. As you leave, the other Scoleri Brother and Slimer will scare.

You then enter into the library, where the shelf doors will open and close, along with symmetrical book stacking. The Library Ghost will materialize out of thin air, and transform into her beast form. You then enter into the spirit realm version of the room, where the Library Ghost will scare.

You pass the supernatural signpost for The Sedgewick Hotel sign, where it'll light up with blacklight and paint. You pass the elevator door as it opens, where Venkman will exit out of. He'll have multiple voice triggers the actor can pick (He can exit the door and hear his proton pack start up, as he then says "Oh im sorry, I thought you were someone else" or he'll exit and say "Anyone seen a ghost?" or "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" ) Ray can be seen nearby trying to get Venkmans attention to a nearby Slimer (projection) eating food. Venkman being Venkman doesn't notice, so Ray tries to blast Slimer. You turn the corner as Slimer (charge puppet) charges at you, and right before he makes contact, the lights go out as water sprays on you, as you hear Venkman say "He slimed me..." You then enter into the spirit realm version of the scene, where Slimer attacks again.

You pass the supernatural signpost for Central Park West, and enter the apartment living room. Dana can be seen struggling with the hands on the couch, and a nearby door can be seen stretching. You pass the corner, and get scared by a Terror Dog.

You then enter into a black hall with a light hitting on you, as you hear Gozer say "Chose the form of the destructor", as you then hear Ray say "...I couldn't help it, It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" Gozer will also scare in this hall.

You then enter into the rooftop, where a 20 foot Stay Puft towers over you. The four Ghostbusters can be seen firing at him, as Stay Puffs face gets angry.

GHOST VERSION OF THE ROOMS INSTEAD OF BLACK WALLZ AHHHHHH

I LOVE the idea of “spirit” versions of the same room. I’m a little disappointed the the relic of Gozer apparently won’t be in the maze. That’s kind of an iconic scene in the movie.

Listening to the podcast again, it sounds much more like standard "boo" hallways with blacklight strobes :/ Though they do mention "ectoplasm" a couple of times, so I'm wondering if that's something they'll slather around.

My interest in this maze has gone up and down, but John really seems to get what Ghostbusters fans like about the series.

EDIT: Also, certain effects in this maze seem really impressive. It seems the team is trying to use other storytelling elements other than actors to create a more atmospheric experience. That was my main problem with the Shining. I never felt they used the effects in a way that truly immersed me, but it seems they’re changing that.

Last edited:

So excited for the Venkman scene. Hopefully I get a chance to give him a high five.

Not that anyone cares, but after seeing more pics of Stay Puft in Orlando, I actually think it looks pretty cool, and if our version is a more grand version of theirs, I can’t wait to see him in person. Thursday can’t get here fast enough.

Not that anyone cares, but after seeing more pics of Stay Puft in Orlando, I actually think it looks pretty cool, and if our version is a more grand version of theirs, I can’t wait to see him in person. Thursday can’t get here fast enough.
Our version is a nearly full body stay puft, it’s gonna be awesome

Sounds great, I am a little sad that we didn't get the full Gozer scene like Orlando but otherwise it sounds pretty amazing.