Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: Bill & Ted Halloween Adventure

and TORNADOIER!!! *Paging Bill Paxton*

game-over-man-game-over.jpg

After hearing about these jokes they're a definitely a little concerning. Whatever though I'm almost positive they have a backup script, they always do. I'm pretty sure they wrote in a few maelstrom jokes last minute

Just saw the preview show, there were a lot of Disney jokes! I have to think though their lawyers must have gone over this and are confident it doesn't infringe on Disneys rights. The entire show revolves around Disney elements.

Just saw the preview show, there were a lot of Disney jokes! I have to think though their lawyers must have gone over this and are confident it doesn't infringe on Disneys rights. The entire show revolves around Disney elements.

Is the general plot of the show based on any particular horror movie, like the Evil Dead elements of last year's show, or is it more original?

Spoilers

The show's plot is basically 22 Jump Street + a parody of Disney's MagicBands. I think it's hilarious, but I sincerely wonder whether it may fly over average joe's head.

Spoilers

The show's plot is basically 22 Jump Street + a parody of Disney's MagicBands. I think it's hilarious, but I sincerely wonder whether it may fly over average joe's head.

It probably will, I was the only one in the theater last year that laughed at the avatar stab. Also thanks for clarifying the theme, was wondering what the set was based off of

Early impressions (first night review)

(Posting here so I can hide spoilers, unlike Twitter)

Tl;dr: An uneven mixed bag, with some odd creative choices and lackluster dance numbers. Minor spoilers ahead--characters and such, but not jokes.

SPOILER TAGS DON'T SEEM TO WORK SO BE WARNED -- SPOILERS BELOW!!!

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Let's start with the positive: the Frozen segment isn't comedy gold--it's comedy platinum. Inspired parody, and the girls nail it. Talking Magneto v. Capt Jack/the two Kirks v. Khan level. That good.

The Donald Sterling jokes start off strong too, but he comes out one time too many toward the end. A Game of Thrones segment gave me a chuckle-but then they brought it back too. If Maleficient joke wasn't so obviously telegraphed, might have worked better.

Unfortunately, not much else hit for me. A lot of "here's something from pop culture--laugh!", with no ironic twist, which is the heart of parody. A Breaking Bad segment seems to exist for no reason other than to feature a couple toys some fangirl surely made as a gift.

The focus on the Magic Bands illustrates this best. While plot is never a B&T strong-point, this felt particularly out of place. A "cheap pop," to quote Mick Foley, for a show playing to a theme park audience. Along those lines--HEAVY SPOILER HERE--reusing the same James Cameron gag as last year--word for word--just seemed incredibly lazy. Talking to a friend who knows the writer, he plans to use that gag every year until Avatar Land actually opens. Which is funny to the 2% of the world in online theme park communities, but way too "inside baseball" for a mainstream show.

Subject matter is really odd as well. The US soccer team goalie gets a solid 30 seconds, but no ice bucket challenge. No Pharrel and his hat. None of the characters from Sleepy Hollow, just a throw-away reference. No mocking of a flop like A Million Ways to Die in the West. Obviously they can't include everything, but the choices just seemed off to me.

BTW, while the cast clearly put their heart into it, unfortunately no one but Iggy Azalea even remotely resembles the person they're playing. No Taylor Swift or George Lucas-like clones this year. "Ice Cube" is just a skinny guy who happens to be black in a t-shirt that says "Ice Cube" (he actually would make a better Pharrel, see above). The man playing Justin Beiber is less convincing than the woman who played him last year. StarLord is just some random guy.

Opening and closing dance numbers just weren't on the level of last year. Wondering if they didn't hire professional dancers again? Choreography not nearly as advanced. Nor was the costuming in the open number as inspired. And--minor point here but still--why use GnR as your finale when KISS finally made it into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year? Especially when you've cast a male model Axl and a white Slash?

B&T generally improves during its run every year, and I've seen shows about as weak as this--cough, 2010, cough--find their groove, change out a few jokes, and become solid. But as of right now, I'd rank this as the worst since B&T met Hellboy.

Weird suggestion, maybe it's just me, but I spent half the show watching the ASL translators and they were hysterical! Their facial expressions and pantomiming changed with each character being represented.

I don't even known sign language, but these people are clearly good at what they do and give the hearing impaired a show of their own. If you're seeing the show multiple times, view a performance from the left side and watch these people work their magic.

I normally watch them a few times throughout the show but haven't seen them so far. I'll keep an eye out for them next weekend. BTW I have no idea why but that dragon absolutely makes me lose it. He is the funniest thing in the entire show.

I normally watch them a few times throughout the show but haven't seen them so far. I'll keep an eye out for them next weekend. BTW I have no idea why but that dragon absolutely makes me lose it. He is the funniest thing in the entire show.

That got a giant laugh out of me along with maleficent (reused gag I know but still hilarious)

Early impressions (first night review)

(Posting here so I can hide spoilers, unlike Twitter)

Tl;dr: An uneven mixed bag, with some odd creative choices and lackluster dance numbers. Minor spoilers ahead--characters and such, but not jokes.

SPOILER TAGS DON'T SEEM TO WORK SO BE WARNED -- SPOILERS BELOW!!!

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Let's start with the positive: the Frozen segment isn't comedy gold--it's comedy platinum. Inspired parody, and the girls nail it. Talking Magneto v. Capt Jack/the two Kirks v. Khan level. That good.

The Donald Sterling jokes start off strong too, but he comes out one time too many toward the end. A Game of Thrones segment gave me a chuckle-but then they brought it back too. If Maleficient joke wasn't so obviously telegraphed, might have worked better.

Unfortunately, not much else hit for me. A lot of "here's something from pop culture--laugh!", with no ironic twist, which is the heart of parody. A Breaking Bad segment seems to exist for no reason other than to feature a couple toys some fangirl surely made as a gift.

The focus on the Magic Bands illustrates this best. While plot is never a B&T strong-point, this felt particularly out of place. A "cheap pop," to quote Mick Foley, for a show playing to a theme park audience. Along those lines--HEAVY SPOILER HERE--reusing the same James Cameron gag as last year--word for word--just seemed incredibly lazy. Talking to a friend who knows the writer, he plans to use that gag every year until Avatar Land actually opens. Which is funny to the 2% of the world in online theme park communities, but way too "inside baseball" for a mainstream show.

Subject matter is really odd as well. The US soccer team goalie gets a solid 30 seconds, but no ice bucket challenge. No Pharrel and his hat. None of the characters from Sleepy Hollow, just a throw-away reference. No mocking of a flop like A Million Ways to Die in the West. Obviously they can't include everything, but the choices just seemed off to me.

BTW, while the cast clearly put their heart into it, unfortunately no one but Iggy Azalea even remotely resembles the person they're playing. No Taylor Swift or George Lucas-like clones this year. "Ice Cube" is just a skinny guy who happens to be black in a t-shirt that says "Ice Cube" (he actually would make a better Pharrel, see above). The man playing Justin Beiber is less convincing than the woman who played him last year. StarLord is just some random guy.

Opening and closing dance numbers just weren't on the level of last year. Wondering if they didn't hire professional dancers again? Choreography not nearly as advanced. Nor was the costuming in the open number as inspired. And--minor point here but still--why use GnR as your finale when KISS finally made it into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year? Especially when you've cast a male model Axl and a white Slash?

B&T generally improves during its run every year, and I've seen shows about as weak as this--cough, 2010, cough--find their groove, change out a few jokes, and become solid. But as of right now, I'd rank this as the worst since B&T met Hellboy.

I Agree with most of this. I've heard some people say it was awesome but I only laughed a couple of times. a lot of missed opportunities for jokes

Spoilers:
I liked when you got to see inside Bill and Ted's brains, the hamster made me laugh and The Frozen song was good/made me laugh.
And yeah the Soccer goalie joke was really random.

Brazil Loses 7-1 in the world cup, EVERYONE was talking about it for weeks, and they didn't use that in the show?? it made me go "Seriously?"
they could have done so many jokes with that.

What was the deal with the turtles joke? That felt like such a wasted opportunity to me.
The turtles looked so ugly in the movie, they could have easily made really grotesque ninja turtles for the show and make fun of how ugly they were in the movie.
I really don't understand why they didn't make fun of that. The internet has been making fun of that for months now.

I felt like there were huge missed opportunities for jokes. It felt like since they wanted to focus the show on making fun of Disney then they skipped on a lot that they could have used.

Last edited: