Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: The Walking Dead: End of The Line

It's fascinating to me that Facebook posters on UOR's official feed are slamming this announcement. Here's some doozies:

Can't you guys come up with anything original anymore???

Might as well change the name of HHN to "The waking dead experience"

Great show...but it's worn out at universal. Get marketing out of the event and let universal creative do their thing

A few things.

Teebin's right. A&D didn't want this. They didn't want the streets last year, either - that was entirely a marketing decision, and frankly that was relatively last minute. Don't be fooled by them enthusiastically praising it and talking it up - it's their job.

The length of the house isn't because Walking Dead supports such a length... it's because marketing needs something to sweeten the deal. They know many are tiring of Walking Dead, and they also know they can't go bigger than theming the whole park around it... so they needed a new gimmick.

I feel a bit validated claiming in my recent open letter (it's posted in the HHN24 thread) that Walking Dead was a pop culture phenomenon rather than an actual horror draw - which Murdy more or less outright said in the USA Today piece. Yikes.

Here's to 25 having all originality.
Amen brother

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind an IP or 2 a year. I think expecting all 8 houses being original are gone. As long as they don't rely too heavily on it, I'm ok with it.

Well I really liked the way it was back in the day where everything was original and we had 1 IP (doomsday, thing) sure we had full IP years like carnage and ripped but there was originality inbetween in 16 and 18. I'm down with that pattern. Original then IP then original then IP. Then nobody could complain. Now it's WAY too much IP

So any word if this megahouse will infact reduce the rest of the total amount of houses we get this year?

No word on it, but I would expect to have the same house count. If you look at this link: http://i43.tinypic.com/2qmddnr.jpg you can see that they can due two houses in SS21 (like last year) one in SS22 (also last year) and one mega house in SS23 or SS24 (both are about the same size and they have used SS23 for two houses in the past). This is all assuming that they do not just do a larger house in the Parade building.

1 Mega-House:: I'm alright with that

Entire Event Themed to WD:: Never Again

Personally, as a WD fan I'm alright with another house based off of it...as Briman just said, we have seven more houses to look forward too...and this one has me intrigued

Guess I best catch up on the second half of last season, got bored of it though to be honest.

seems like a Win Win for both Universal and AMC. Walking Dead fans will go to the park because of the new house based on the 4th season.

AND HHN/Universal fans will watch the new season (or the whole show) just to be able to understand the house. everybody wins (except us :bonk:)

seems like a Win Win for both Universal and AMC. Walking Dead fans will go to the park because of the new house based on the 4th season.

AND HHN/Universal fans will watch the new season (or the whole show) just to be able to understand the house. everybody wins (except us :bonk:)

I agree, both parties gain from this. With this in mind who pays who?

Do uni have to pay AMC for the rights or do AMC offer uni a deal to get into the park and advertise their brand? Would be interested to know how this works and what kind of costs are involoved.

I agree, both parties gain from this. With this in mind who pays who?

Do uni have to pay AMC for the rights or do AMC offer uni a deal to get into the park and advertise their brand? Would be interested to know how this works and what kind of costs are involoved.

I would guess Universal bought the rights because post-recession HHN attendance took a bit of a hit and they wanted something to draw in the general public and get more crowds besides diehard horror fans. So AMC is getting money to license the Walking Dead, but they also see the benefit in having their property represented, which is why they lock down the contract and make all these contingencies.

I dont think AMC gets as much benefit as Universal. I mean, sure its kinda advertising but at the same time, they already have a number 1 TV show. You dont pay a ton of money to promote your already-successful property to an audience that more than likely already knows about it. It works for Universal movies where they want to hype their new horror movies to horror buffs, but TWD has quite a wide audience already.

There are still a ton of hot chicks walking around HHN, right?

And they still serve alcohol, right?

Oh they do? Sounds like its going to be a great time regardless!

So any word if this megahouse will infact reduce the rest of the total amount of houses we get this year?

It won't reduce the house count - we've been promised 8 houses. However, increased money needed to flesh out a "mega" house will almost certainly mean reduced budgets for some of the other houses (not to mention start-of-construction delays due to other departments needing the facilities until very late in the game...)

Hmmmm. "Test of time" huh?? 1979 anyone?? :doggie:

That's what I'm hoping.

If this was last year, I'd be cool with it. But the Walking Dead has grown beyond tiresome both at HHN and on television. Hopefully this is the last year. Ugh.

I don't want to hear that music anymore.....

That's what I'm hoping.

If this was last year, I'd be cool with it. But the Walking Dead has grown beyond tiresome both at HHN and on television. Hopefully this is the last year. Ugh.

I don't want to hear that music anymore.....

If they at least used one of the hundred songs used in the show... but now the Walking Dead theme makes me nauseous. I dread having to hear it one more time at Universal.....

I Wish they used something else, another song from season 4, Anything besides that stupid main theme.