Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Carnival Graveyard: Rust in Pieces

Just saw this, but a cool scene would've been walking through a bumper car rink ("Krazy Krash") with that.
That’s my main problem with this house. I never really read up on the supposed lore of the house so I thought it would be more Carnival than Junkyard.

I honestly think an abandoned Carnival has more possibilites than what they went with. Off the top of my head I thought of a round Carousel room with scareactors and manniquinns inside of the poles, a bumper car arena with cars crashed all about, an abandoned rollercoaster track looping over the maze. The mirror maze and love shack were great starts but overall it was kinda just random carnival junk piled on top of more random carnival junk.

That’s my main problem with this house. I never really read up on the supposed lore of the house so I thought it would be more Carnival than Junkyard.

I honestly think an abandoned Carnival has more possibilites than what they went with. Off the top of my head I thought of a round Carousel room with scareactors and manniquinns inside of the poles, a bumper car arena with cars crashed all about, an abandoned rollercoaster track looping over the maze. The mirror maze and love shack were great starts but overall it was kinda just random carnival junk piled on top of more random carnival junk.

I’m going to guess they were planning on this but then they realized they were going over budget. With 10 houses, some actual carnival rides would’ve been expensive as hell. Again, this is why I would’ve preferred they condensed the budget to 9 houses + 1 medium budget show, though I understand they really couldn’t thanks to crowd management. I wonder if they still have that Ferris wheel from 17–maybe they could’ve had the lower portion of it (being that it’s an abandoned carnival--so not going to be in the best shape--and making it low enough to fit in the soundstage)?

Love your idea of mannequins on a carousel, except the fact that the mannequin trick had been used enough already (the problem with that trick is it works so well in so many houses—but gotta avoid being repetitive).

Wish they had actually released some info on the carnies. Guessing marketing wouldn’t let them.:enrage:

I would’ve made the path be the metal fences they use in the queue—carnivals do use metal fences, after all. That would’ve allowed them to not stack the props on top of each other and give a more wide open aesthetic. They could’ve easily used a few of those game stands too for little cost.

I also would’ve made the story that the owner of the carnival went crazy one night and killed all the carnies—so similar story to LT.

Sorry, just had A LOT ago say here lol. I don't think this was by any means a bad house--the robotic clown scene, the couple of scenes that actually were wide open, the Luv Shak and Funhouse made it a decent one. Even if they had to make it a sound effect, the barrel scene was inventive. Also the actual robot, when he was on, was quite scary. Just kinda frustrating seeing as how it could've been fantastic.

Last edited:
They never released the “lore,” so there was nothing to read up on.
I’m going to guess they were planning on this but then they realized they were going over budget. With 10 houses, some actual carnival rides would’ve been expensive as hell. Again, this is why I would’ve preferred they condensed the budget to 9 houses + 1 medium budget show, though I understand they really couldn’t thanks to crowd management. I wonder if they still have that Ferris wheel from 17–maybe they could’ve had the lower portion of it (being that it’s an abandoned carnival and making it low enough to fit in the soundstage)?
Love your idea of mannequins on a carousel, except the fact that the mannequin trick had been used enough already (the problem with that trick is it works so well in so many houses—but gotta avoid being repetitive).

Wish they had actually released some info on the carnies. Guessing marketing wouldn’t let them.:enrage:

I would’ve made the path be the metal fences they use in the queue—carnivals do use metal fences, after all. That would’ve allowed them to not stack the props on top of each other and give a more wide open aesthetic. They could’ve easily used a few of those game stands too for little cost.

I also would’ve made the story that the owner of the carnival went crazy one night and killed all the carnies—so similar story to LT.

(Sorry, just had A LOT ago say here lol.)
The concept was always “junkyard.” Houses are designed with their limitations in mind. The designers know they only have so much space available, and general idea of how stuff in the house can cost. So, no, the concept wasn’t changed due to budget. Even if a blue sky idea was floated to put a “ride” in a soundstage, it would have never come off the whiteboard because they knew it wouldn’t be feasible.

Also, A&D could have released the “lore” if they wanted. Here’s the thing though (and I’ve stated this before): what A&D writes (treatments, stories, character descriptions) aren’t initially in a “consumable” state. And while it was stated that each character has a “backstory,” we don’t know if those backstories were 3 pages or (more likely) 3 lines. To release them would require the DESIGNER to draft and finalize for release full backgrounds for 22 characters. That takes HOURS of work when they’re already devoted to designing a house.

It wasn’t Marketing. It was prioritization. A&D shouldn’t have to exert resources like on something that is “nice to have” when only 3% of people will care. They have more important things to put do.

They never released the “lore,” so there was nothing to read up on.

The concept was always “junkyard.” Houses are designed with their limitations in mind. The designers know they only have so much space available, and general idea of how stuff in the house can cost. So, no, the concept wasn’t changed due to budget. Even if a blue sky idea was floated to put a “ride” in a soundstage, it would have never come off the whiteboard because they knew it wouldn’t be feasible.

Also, A&D could have released the “lore” if they wanted. Here’s the thing though (and I’ve stated this before): what A&D writes (treatments, stories, character descriptions) aren’t initially in a “consumable” state. And while it was stated that each character has a “backstory,” we don’t know if those backstories were 3 pages or (more likely) 3 lines. To release them would require the DESIGNER to draft and finalize for release full backgrounds for 22 characters. That takes HOURS of work when they’re already devoted to designing a house.

It wasn’t Marketing. It was prioritization. A&D shouldn’t have to exert resources like on something that is “nice to have” when only 3% of people will care. They have more important things to put do.

In any case, I'd love to see them take another shot at an open floor house. Revenge of Chucky was well received with both GP and fans, so (again, idea goes to someone on Nightmares) an abandoned toy store taken over by the Chuckster--allowing for the re-use of props and costumes from the zone--would be cool.

Also can we get this clear.

Marketing = picking properties and themes of the event based on guest feedback and what others in the market are doing. They come in and tell management The Purge has high guest recognition so it should be in the event.

Advertising = the releasing of materials and information about the event. They do the tweets, posts, commercials, etc. They create ads that show The Purge is in the event.

PR = They work with the press and local community on what the resort is doing. They push the advertising created for The Purge, set up interviews about The Purge, and in general are the non UOR facing entity that others interact with.

So no, "marketing" isn't telling the art department they can't release something.

In any case, I'd love to see them take another shot at an open floor house. Revenge of Chucky was well received with both GP and fans, so (again, idea goes to someone on Nightmares) an abandoned toy store taken over by the Chuckster--allowing for the re-use of props and costumes from the zone--would be cool.
I honestly was expecting more of an indoor scare zone type thing...but in all reality, I really didn't know what I was expecting haha

I did like it, and it felt unique to the event

Also can we get this clear.

Marketing = picking properties and themes of the event based on guest feedback and what others in the market are doing. They come in and tell management The Purge has high guest recognition so it should be in the event.

Advertising = the releasing of materials and information about the event. They do the tweets, posts, commercials, etc. They create ads that show The Purge is in the event.

PR = They work with the press and local community on what the resort is doing. They push the advertising created for The Purge, set up interviews about The Purge, and in general are the non UOR facing entity that others interact with.

So no, "marketing" isn't telling the art department they can't release something.
We need a primer...

It covers these differences, the different sections of Entertainment (including A&D), the general timeline, etc.

We need a primer...

It covers these differences, the different sections of Entertainment (including A&D), the general timeline, etc.
Someone should actually start working on something like that. That sorta thing doesn’t exist many places and there’s a bunch of little differences a lot of people, me included, don’t know about just yet.

Hell, if it was written well I’d be interested in reading it just to read it. Doesn’t exactly need groundbreaking info. Just a more comprehensive guide to HHN than what currently exists.

Someone should actually start working on something like that. That sorta thing doesn’t exist many places and there’s a bunch of little differences a lot of people, me included, don’t know about just yet.

Hell, if it was written well I’d be interested in reading it just to read it. Doesn’t exactly need groundbreaking info. Just a more comprehensive guide to HHN than what currently exists.
In reality though, it would be good to help people better understand who does what within Universal as an organization. It wouldn’t be HHN-focused (except any timeline stuff).

But, like, do people think Creative puts together Mardi Gras and Grinchmas?

In reality though, it would be good to help people better understand who does what within Universal as an organization. It wouldn’t be HHN-focused (except any timeline stuff).

But, like, do people think Creative puts together Mardi Gras and Grinchmas?

Personally when I mistook the names of A&D and Creative, I meant the former. I just didn’t know exact names and felt like Creative was a generic enough name to label the ones thinking up HHN.

Many others may just not think too hard about specifics and just think of Universal as a whole making those kinds of decisions.

These are just random generalized ideas, but I think everyone could benefit from a little lesson in the divisions between the teams at Universal.

Sorry if this has already been answered but it's been a while so I was wondering: Did we ever get the official lore behind this house? If not, do we have any idea when (or if) we'll be getting it?

Sorry if this has already been answered but it's been a while so I was wondering: Did we ever get the official lore behind this house? If not, do we have any idea when (or if) we'll be getting it?
I doubt it, this was 4 - 5 years ago for development. I did the lights on tour through here and didn't pay much attention to the story. Something about cast off carnival rides and weird carnies acting like junkyard dogs.... I was looking at all the easter eggs, christine truck and the flyers. It was so rich with props I loved it.

The story basically was that the/a carnival became extinct/closed and those Carnies moved to Mr Sals junkyard and found a new home there with all the old and abandoned carnival rides but it became a regular occurrence that people broke into the Junkyard and Mr Sal and the Carnies became sick of it and build traps out of the rides to stop people from disturbing their peace . That is how it was explained by an UTH Tour guide

Last edited:
The story basically was that the/a carnival became extinct/closed and those Carnies moved to Mr Sals junkyard and found a new home there with all the old and abandoned carnival rides but it became a regular occurrence that people broke into the Junkyard and Mr Sal and the Carnies became sick of it and build traps out of the rides to stop people from disturbing their piece. That is how it was explained by an UTH Tour guide
Ooh okay! Did they give any backstory on the individual carnies? I remember hearing that each one had some pretty deep lore to them.

I heard about that but the Tour Guide never elaborated. So I would guess just creative and the scare actors knew about it
The likelihood that even the scareactors knew specific lore for their roles is pretty slim. The A&D team rarely interacts directly with performers, and it’s typically nothing more than a quick chat about the event. If the performers had gotten the official lore, it would have made itself public by now.

Ooh okay! Did they give any backstory on the individual carnies? I remember hearing that each one had some pretty deep lore to them.
They did (or at least a handful of them did) have real first names written in their boo holes next to their triggers, beyond just generic scare names.

I believe I responded somewhere earlier in this thread, but there was a connecting thread about a band called Ernest Lee and the Ragtags (Ragtag being the codename for the house), with Ernest Lee being the barker style actor throwing barrels at you as you walked through, but I cannot for the life of me tell you more than that at this point several years out.

The story basically was that the/a carnival became extinct/closed and those Carnies moved to Mr Sals junkyard and found a new home there with all the old and abandoned carnival rides but it became a regular occurrence that people broke into the Junkyard and Mr Sal and the Carnies became sick of it and build traps out of the rides to stop people from disturbing their piece. That is how it was explained by an UTH Tour guide
You stated that better than I did, I'm sure I heard that on the tour and it was cool.