Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Most Anticipated House

Most Anticipated Haunt

• Stranger Things

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Us

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Universal Monsters

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Ghostbusters

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • House Of 1000 Corpses

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Depths Of Fear

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Graveyard Games

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Nightingales: Blood Pit

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Yeti: Terror Of The Yukon

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
I’m always confused as to why loving a movie/TV show translates to thinking that it will be a phenomenal house. As much as I loved and adored Us, there aren’t a lot of memorable environments for a full haunt (let alone the fact that it’s a last minute replacement house). Conversely, disliking House of 1,000 Corpses as a movie shouldn’t detract from the fact that there are a lot of memorable environments, characters and dialogue that have the potential to translate beautifully (even if you think the movie sucked).

In this specific case, the character and sound design would carry the Us house. Regardless I'm interested in seeing what they do with the time/budget they have, at least once.

I find Zombie's movies to rely on pretty trite gimmicks and I think that the hillbilly gutter-punk aesthetic is played out. That's why HO1C is low for me as a house. I am excited to see the ride scenes translated to a house, as well as Dr. Satan's lair.

In this specific case, the character and sound design would carry the Us house. Regardless I'm interested in seeing what they do with the time/budget they have, at least once.

I find Zombie's movies to rely on pretty trite gimmicks and I think that the hillbilly gutter-punk aesthetic is played out. That's why HO1C is low for me as a house. I am excited to see the ride scenes translated to a house, as well as Dr. Satan's lair.

I guess the question is, would you rather have something scary (HoTC) or new (Ghostbusters)?

10. HoTC
9. Us
8. Stranger
7. Depths
6. Klownz
5. Nightengales
4. Yeti
3. Graveyard
2. Monsters
1. Ghostbusters

So perusing the poll pre-preview tonight, Ghostbusters #1 with a bullet should surprise no one, been requested for years. But I was shocked to see Graveyard Games and HoTC neck and neck for #2--excited for the former but it's not an IP or anything particularly new and novel, and I guess the latter more of a cult hit than I realized.

A little surprised Nightingales isn't in the top half, then remembered it's been half a generation since the original, guessing many of you never saw it. Now get off my lawn.

Biggest shock to me is Stranger Things tied for last. Maybe getting both seasons 2 and 3 out of the way this year is a signal this will be a two-and-done like AHS; don't let any IP become the next Walking Dead.

Dropping this here so I can compare once the event starts..

1. Yeti: Terror of the Yukon
Best Case: This goes down with Winter's Night and Recollections as another beautiful and all around well-recieved "snow house".
Worst Case: The scenery is repetitive, the yetis look kinda goofy.

2. Universal Monsters
Best Case: For me personally, if the mummy and creature get a lot of love
Worst Case: I really don't think there's a way this house won't be good.. but i guess worst case would be if it were just a Dracula / Frankenstein house with the others barely sprinkled in.

3. Ghostbusters
Best Case: The same route is taken with this house as with Poltergeist and Exorcist in the sense that creative liberties are taken and the story is somewhat expanded upon.
Worst Case: The house relies too much on perfectly timed scares in order to have a good run through, similar to the Fallen

4. Graveyard Games
Best Case: The back story adds a lot of depth to this house and it ends up being one of the more beautiful houses. I also think the scares in this house has a lot of potential
Worst Case: It just ends up being a run of the mill graveyard house

5. House of 1000 Corpses
Best Case: Captain Spaulding is heavily featured and the movie's unique aesthetic is well translated. Also a fair amount of gore.
Worst Case: They go light on the gore and the MiB tent curse lives on

6. Nightingales: Blood Pit
Best Case: The grandiose of ancient Rome setting is pulled off well and the scares are aggressive. This location holds the scariest and most intense house at the event for the third year straight.
Worst Case: I get a feeling that the setting will be difficult to pull off, especially in a tent

7. Stranger Things
Best Case: The house has major outrun vibes and season 3, specifically Starcourt Mall, is heavily featured
Worst Case: It ends up feeling redundant and not too different from last years house

8. Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Best Case: The costumes fit
Worst Case: The costumes don't fit

9. Depths of Fear
Best Case: The house comes out of the blue and is surprisingly aggressive and unique when it comes to scares. Hoping there's a large sea creature puppet of some kind.
Worst Case: The scares are redundant and there are no large sea monster scares. The setting is eh and the water effects are played similarly to the Walking Dead at 25

10. Us
Best Case: They by some miracle found a way to make tethered versions of guests and the settings look complete
Worst Case: The house looks and feels like it was rushed and the tethered don't have full effect, making the house feel more like a generic slasher type house

Most likely to rise:
KKFOS
Most likely to fall: Graveyard Games

Last edited: