Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Universal Monsters

So does the chandelier actually do anything? I keep hearing people talking about it but every time I've seen it its just stationary with some strobes and sound effects.
It looked like there was space behind it and the back wall that a reserve actor could theoretically fill if they were teeming with extra reserves that night maybe?

In regard to the "look up" comment, perhaps it was about the Creature segment? I know I didn't see it until the third or fourth time through that there are lilly pads and an entire boat above us in that section!

^I was about to ask that as well. I never saw anyone over there and I never saw anything move.

No as far as I know it doesn’t, and I’m not sure if it even was meant to. It is a really cool prop though!

It looked like there was space behind it and the back wall that a reserve actor could theoretically fill if they were teeming with extra reserves that night maybe?

In regard to the "look up" comment, perhaps it was about the Creature segment? I know I didn't see it until the third or fourth time through that there are lilly pads and an entire boat above us in that section!

Thank you for mentioning this! I feel like no one looks up in that room and for me that is SUCH a cool detail so easily missed! It adds so much of an extra layer to me to separate it from “the mermaid room from scary tales” (plus the creatures just work it so much better)

Literally JUST caught the lily pads on Sunday! I was in awe.

The chandelier scene is, I believe, just about the prop. It’s impressive enough on its own and I honestly wasn’t expecting to encounter it. The “space” definitely has nothing to do with reserves, though; whereas last year had too many holes and not enough reserves, this year they’ve been severely overstaffed and dozens of reserves don’t get cast. I suspect it might also gave something to do with the increase in required nights for reserves, as everyone wants to come in and get it out of the way instead of choosing their own days and creating variety for nights. My boyfriend has participated in five sessions and hasn’t gotten cast a single time yet. Anyway, I don’t see a scare being put behind the chandelier, but then again, I can’t be 100% certain yet.

Last edited:
There’s no door for a scare.

Source- house layout. And no, I’m not sharing.
I completely misread your post and thought you said “there is a scare,” my bad!! I didn’t think so.

On that note, I think it’s been asked, but do you know who the hanged man (after Frankenstein, I believe) is? I could see a hanged body being a scare in the Phantom section because of his lore, but I’m not familiar with whoever that mannequin represents.

I completely misread your post and thought you said “there is a scare,” my bad!! I didn’t think so.

On that note, I think it’s been asked, but do you know who the hanged man (after Frankenstein, I believe) is? I could see a hanged body being a scare in the Phantom section because of his lore, but I’m not familiar with whoever that mannequin represents.
My post originally had a typo.

I’m not sure who the body is supposed to represent. It’s potentially Dr. Frankenstein (Henry) himself. He gets caught in the vines of the windmill when the Monster throws him.

My post originally had a typo.

I’m not sure who the body is supposed to represent. It’s potentially Dr. Frankenstein (Henry) himself. He gets caught in the vines of the windmill when the Monster throws him.

I'm going off of ThemeParkHD's video, but I believe Dr. Frankenstein is being electrocuted by the Monster on the gurney at the room's start, while the hanged man is Igor.

Yeah, Dr. Frankenstein is certainly the one getting electrocuted, and Igor is the one hanged.

--------

Man, I just loved this house. Great sets, great scares and both cast's were consistently aggressive. Both Dracula and the Mummies had no trouble getting real up close and personal anytime I went through. Another great testament to the house and the cast was how well they used the reused scenes...

The Creature from the Black Lagoon was a lot more memorable than the Little Mermaid from Scary Tales last year. Though when Legacy mentioned that a while back, I thought they were gonna' reuse the kelp hallway, and not the underwater cave from the beginning of that scene. Either way it worked, especially with the gator, boat and lilypads.

An then there's the Phantom of the Opera, holy crap did that scene kick some serious tail. Last year the Witch's mirror room was alright, but the Phantom's worked that room something fierce. There was always a solid scare or three whenever I went through there!

One of my friends is actually the first Phantom you see, so I can ask if he knows anything about that.

Do tell your friend fantastic job from me, the Phantom's are just killing at their scene.

All in all, this is one of those "total package" houses for me. From the set's, to the scares, the great casts, the call outs, the right length, it just had it all for me. It may be the farthest house to get to, but that walk to and from felt like nothing due to how good it is. (Something very in common with Graveyard Games!)

The more I look back on it, this house is solidly tied for first with Graveyard Games, and for me it's a personal GOAT. I love the classic monsters and this just delivered in ways I didn't expect. This was the house I went through to close both nights out with, and it was always a sweet kiss good-night.

-------

Finally, I also had a really memorable final run through Sunday night (9/22). I went through right at close, so I believe this was Cast A. Since it was the last run for the season for me, I was essentially giving the cast the heart sign and it got some wonderful reactions.

It started with the Wolf-Man statue, who I told they got me every time I went through, and they gave a rather pleased/thank you/your welcome reaction. Later in the house in the Mummy room, the second mummy missed me on the first go, but for the second attempt they got as CLOSE AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE to me for a really dang good scare. I flashed them the heart sign and told them great job, and they did the most gentlemanly bow with a flourish. I downright loved that, and fittingly at the very end, the final Frankenstein monster finally got me for the perfect finish.

Yeah, Dr. Frankenstein is certainly the one getting electrocuted, and Igor is the one hanged.

--------

Man, I just loved this house. Great sets, great scares and both cast's were consistently aggressive. Both Dracula and the Mummies had no trouble getting real up close and personal anytime I went through. Another great testament to the house and the cast was how well they used the reused scenes...

The Creature from the Black Lagoon was a lot more memorable than the Little Mermaid from Scary Tales last year. Though when Legacy mentioned that a while back, I thought they were gonna' reuse the kelp hallway, and not the underwater cave from the beginning of that scene. Either way it worked, especially with the gator, boat and lilypads.

An then there's the Phantom of the Opera, holy crap did that scene kick some serious tail. Last year the Witch's mirror room was alright, but the Phantom's worked that room something fierce. There was always a solid scare or three whenever I went through there!

Do tell your friend fantastic job from me, the Phantom's are just killing at their scene.

All in all, this is one of those "total package" houses for me. From the set's, to the scares, the great casts, the call outs, the right length, it just had it all for me. It may be the farthest house to get to, but that walk to and from felt like nothing due to how good it is. (Something very in common with Graveyard Games!)

The more I look back on it, this house is solidly tied for first with Graveyard Games, and for me it's a personal GOAT. I love the classic monsters and this just delivered in ways I didn't expect. This was the house I went through to close both nights out with, and it was always a sweet kiss good-night.

-------

Finally, I also had a really memorable final run through Sunday night (9/22). I went through right at close, so I believe this was Cast A. Since it was the last run for the season for me, I was essentially giving the cast the heart sign and it got some wonderful reactions.

It started with the Wolf-Man statue, who I told they got me every time I went through, and they gave a rather pleased/thank you/your welcome reaction. Later in the house in the Mummy room, the second mummy missed me on the first go, but for the second attempt they got as CLOSE AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE to me for a really dang good scare. I flashed them the heart sign and told them great job, and they did the most gentlemanly bow with a flourish. I downright loved that, and fittingly at the very end, the final Frankenstein monster finally got me for the perfect finish.

Not that it’s super important but cast B will always be closing that house! I know this because I’m very good friends with a Drac Bride and she mentioned to me the heart hands saying it made her smile at the end of a long night but she was afraid that whoever wouldn’t know she smiled because of the fake teeth making everything look more uh scary so to speak lol! How weird to now know who it was! That’s so cool!

Will do! It’s always so fun to see him; he’ll wave with his little gloved hand when he notices me. He has a blast with the role.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the Wolfman statue scare is? I always go through for Cast A to see aforementioned Phantom friend, so it’s possible that there just isn’t a statue scare for that cast, but I don’t know. It’s not the first Wolfman on the right when you go under the Talbot stone, is it?

Good to know that that second mummy is aggressively close in BOTH casts! Cast A SM [second mummy :^)] has reached his hand out wayyy too close to my face. That’s a thing I’ve noticed with scareactors this year; from Zombieland to Monsters to Graveyard Games to ESPECIALLY Vanity Ball, people have been scaring in a way that forces me to stop in my tracks to prevent running into them. @ Vanity Ball cheekbone-implant girl: stop jumping six inches in front of me and standing there while I’m walking please, I’m more scared of tripping you than your scare.

SM is wonderful and lovely, though. Not obstructing my path per se, as I can keep up with the path, but it’s still so cool to know that someone can be so spatially aware and comfortable with their role that they know just how far to extend their reach.

Maybe it’s just bias because of Phantom friend, but I feel like the UCM house has a really friendly cast that’s excited to be there and to be scaring you. Being described as friendly is weird for a classic monster, I know, but there’s just something charming about those actors that just makes me smile and want to come back to visit them. Does anyone else feel like that?

(But maybe on some level it’s just fueled by my desire to get stopped after the event because a scarer recognized me from their house like last year, I don’t know)

Not that it’s super important but cast B will always be closing that house! I know this because I’m very good friends with a Drac Bride and she mentioned to me the heart hands saying it made her smile at the end of a long night but she was afraid that whoever wouldn’t know she smiled because of the fake teeth making everything look more uh scary so to speak lol! How weird to now know who it was! That’s so cool!

Oh my god, thank you! Yeah, I was the dude in the backwards cap, tank top and with a goatee giving everyone the heart sign. (Sunday the 22nd, pretty much at park close.) Good to know that was Cast B, and I'm very happy to hear it made her smile. :heart:

Will do! It’s always so fun to see him; he’ll wave with his little gloved hand when he notices me. He has a blast with the role.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the Wolfman statue scare is? I always go through for Cast A to see aforementioned Phantom friend, so it’s possible that there just isn’t a statue scare for that cast, but I don’t know. It’s not the first Wolfman on the right when you go under the Talbot stone, is it?​

Good to know that that second mummy is aggressively close in BOTH casts! Cast A SM [second mummy :^)] has reached his hand out wayyy too close to my face. That’s a thing I’ve noticed with scareactors this year; from Zombieland to Monsters to Graveyard Games to ESPECIALLY Vanity Ball, people have been scaring in a way that forces me to stop in my tracks to prevent running into them. @ Vanity Ball cheekbone-implant girl: stop jumping six inches in front of me and standing there while I’m walking please, I’m more scared of tripping you than your scare.

SM is wonderful and lovely, though. Not obstructing my path per se, as I can keep up with the path, but it’s still so cool to know that someone can be so spatially aware and comfortable with their role that they know just how far to extend their reach.

Maybe it’s just bias because of Phantom friend, but I feel like the UCM house has a really friendly cast that’s excited to be there and to be scaring you. Being described as friendly is weird for a classic monster, I know, but there’s just something charming about those actors that just makes me smile and want to come back to visit them. Does anyone else feel like that?

(But maybe on some level it’s just fueled by my desire to get stopped after the event because a scarer recognized me from their house like last year, I don’t know)

Many thanks, and yeah the cast is really into their roles on this house. Which is definitely a factor on why the house is rocking. As for the Wolf-Man statue...

The Wolf-Man statue is the very first scare of the house, on the immediate right after you go through the Talbot stone/entrance. It's not the second Talbot stone which has the in the fur/color Wolf-Man who pops out of the seemingly too narrow Talbot tomb after the bungee scare.

Good to know! I’ve only received that scare once and have braced my right side for it since, so I guess I haven’t paid enough attention to the look to get it. I just thought that was regular ol Wolfman. Neat!

Also, I’m OBSESSED with
the bungee/whatever kind of harness Wolfman. What an impressive scare. I got nailed in the stomach with that hunter’s shotgun’s air blast last time.
Ugh. UCM is a masterpiece. Mwah.

This house has some amazing design. Who ever did Phantoms room deserves a raise. So cool! Frankenstein too.

Unfortunately I had 3 real screamers in front of me, like really over the top shrieking even in the first room with just statues so will be doing this one again to properly enjoy it.

Edit: Did this a second time and enjoyed it much more.

Cant seem to catch a break with it though. The Creature room was devoid of any scares. I am guessing cast swap or something because it was just an empty room!

Last edited:
Fantastic run through this last night. Hit every monster except Hunchback. Got some great scares from the Brides of Drac and Frank, Mummy and Creature.

Third time doing the house and first time I noticed Wolfman is on a bungee! Always something new to find.

Also, is the final Frank scare on stilts, or is he just incredibly tall?